P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hey AG- congratulations! My advice for running when you have a little one is try and strategically time your runs so you are always out when the baby is awake.

• cheers all. I'll try that one, 15West, although my missus has already warned me off a spring 2014 marathon, something along the lines of "I don't expect you to be buggering off for a run for 3 hours when i'll have been looking after the nipper on my own all week". or words to that effect. Fair play I suppose, i guess i'll stick to 5 and 10ks for a little while and do shorter, harder runs in my lunchbreak.

• Congratulations AG, image

We'll done on the speed sessions everyone, will be doing mine soon.
  • AG thats great news congratulations..

I went to bed after my night shift and slept for about 2 hours then woke up worrying about how/where to to today's session it was really windy and cold and I was going to do the intervals on a treadmill but couldn't face it..I couldn't get back to sleep  for thinking about it so got up and did the session came home and went back to bed, my son looked at me and said   "mum you really are mad "

I did my intervals by time ie 4.5 mins fast with 90 secs easy between, easier than doing the maths on the distance.. 3 miles each side

• Congratulations AG, nice news, I've had that news 4 times now, good times ahead.

Just finished my 2nd recovery of the day, first one I got up at 04:00am and did 4 miles, went to work and have just got in from another 6.

Start my VO2 intervals tomorrow, 5x12000.

There is a local 10K where I live this weekend on the Sunday, I am so tempted to do it but I am scheduled 18 with 12 at marathon pace, which I think is probably the more important run.  I did the 5K of this race last year and finished 2nd, I strongly believe on Sunday I could finish highly possiby top 3.  I also have Wilmslow next week which again i'm going to have to juggle some running around.

• 5 x 12000?? That's hard core.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure "5" was a typo.  It was probably only 4.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

NN - I was going to say that son's can be very perceptive, until mine informed me that I stink image

• Ha ha, just read back, my error.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Congratulations AG! Running buggy?

Mark: do lots of stretching.

Re. intervals and programming the Garmin, what I do is use Garmin Connect, but I change the measurements to metric in my personal settings, program the 1km distance, then switch back to my usual minutes per mile to program the pace because that's how I calculate pace in my head. I program the recoveries by time with no target, and the warm-up and cool-down are triggered by the lap button. So I don't have to do any maths and get to do exactly what it says in the book. Geeky, moi?

• Great News AG. You'll find a way of fitting in the running and the baby I'm sure. Just sleep loads for next 9 months even if you think you don't need to. Oh I used to love sleeping!

Just back from a killer session (my life is now so sad that this statement has nothing to do with drinking or sex anymore). Got the 6 x 1k repeats done and dusted with a nice couple of gentle miles either side. I felt like I was flying tonight. The reps were the fastest (and most comfortable) I have felt running wise for ages. Pace for the reps were: 5.41; 5.24; 5.28; 5.20; 5.31; and 5.24.

I'm feeling really strong at the moment. Which in a weird way is troubling me, because I am waiting for something to go wrong. I could quite happily have the marathon this weekend. I just wish I could bottle this feeling for another month or so. I'm starting to stress that this form and general feeling won't last and an injury is sure to be on the horizon. Did I ever mention that I am a pessimist. image

• Chris if you feel like that just concentrate on maintaining your fitness, stick rigidly to the plan and don't run any faster than the book tells you!

I think you'll comfortably break 3 hours if you don't get injured over the next few weeks just be careful.

You were running your reps about the same pace as me, very impressive image

I found it quite a tough workout though!

Lit, I've been taking your advice with the stretching, been doing lots of calf stretches on the stairs.
  • Cheers Mark. Still not convinced on the 3 hour possibility, but right now I don't think I could ask for any more than how I am feeling. Staying this way for another 5/6 weeks is a whole different matter though - ah don't you just love marathon training? - It's enough to drive you mental!

Hope the calf stretching does the trick.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    stutyr wrote (see)

Does the upto 75 plan have intervals every Tuesday?  For some reason the upto 55 plan  seems to alternate between Tuesday and Wednesday.  This puzzled me a bit, so will be even more confused if they changed this for the longer plan. 

Did anybody answer this?  I meant to earlier but forgot.

I think the reason is to do with the tune-up races.  P&D recommend four days between VO2max session and an all-out race, so they are earlier in the week when races appear.

• Yes, that how it looks, just a day earlier when there is a tune up race. It fit better with me at the moment to do the speedy stuff on a tuesday as its club night so I have juggled things to fit that.

Last night I did 5 x 1000m, set it up directly on the Garmin without the computer and it worked really well, except I didn't hear the beeps at the end of the 3rd rep and ended up doing nearly a mile, thought it was a long way! Started conservatively at just under 10 k pace as hadn't done them before and ended up with the last ones at 5 k pace and just under.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Morning all! A beautiful day here but I am saving the running till later as it's club night. Just about to go and teach some 18-year-olds how to read books.

Pottermiss, am impressed that you got up to nearly a mile before checking as I'm hanging out for those beeps from about 600m!

Mark, keep up the calf stretches, and I would also do quad & glute stretches. I do splits (badly) too, but you probably don't need to go that far. image

• Out at 5am for my 9 miles with 5x 1000m at 5k pace, just over 7min miling for me.  Haven't downloaded my Garmin yet but at a quick glance all looks pretty good.  Bloody daft way to make room for your breakfast

Am I a day behind you all, seems like most of you did them yesterday?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

JF50, the up to 70 miles programme had them yesterday. I guess you're on up to 55? Was wondering why some people were only doing 9 miles!

• JUst popping in to say - I am now no longer a runner and am now a "spinner".  Running is for pussies.  image  

Chris - you'll be ok, just make sure you are sensible with recoveries etc and don't go mad with pace on the longer runs which don't have MRP mileage in them.  

Potter - you weren't running fast enough, obviously! image

I am aching all over from my circuits class and spinning session last night.  Jesus, I couldn't wait for the spinning to be over, it was like running a 10k!  I staggered out of the class, my legs were like jelly.  Off out in an hour to do my 12 miler OR if I feel ok and foot plays ball, will do the 11 with 7 at LT.  NOT looking forward to that.  Feel tired so will decide after mile 2-3 what session to do. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

HeOw, when I had the achilles thing I did x-biking and have never sweated so much in my entire life.

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

AG, congratulations!

HeOw, good luck with the run - it was frustrating enough missing two sessions on the weekend, so I don't know how you've coped with the foot problem!

Ten, thanks for the info on why it changes each week, I'd looked at the Sunday runs and couldn't see a link, hadn't thought about the Saturday ones!

JF50, I'm the same as you - up early this morning for 9m with 5x 1000m.

I do them on pace, so target was 6:20 min/mile and hit them spot on.  Times in Garmin are

3:51, 3:56, 3:56, 3:56, 3:57

First interval was about two-thirds downhill so although its faster the effort was lower - ran at 6:10 min/mile as that was the fastest speed in target range, so stopped the watch beeping at me.  The next three had a range of 0.16 second between them.  On the final one, I was one second off target pace with 0.05 mile to go and just couldn't recover it - which I'm taking as a good sign that the pace was spot on for the session as I dont think I could have gone any faster.

Feeling very smug at achieving the consistency, especially as previous weeks' intervals have been very haphazard. Even noticed that three of the five recovery periods were exactly the same time as I'd set them up as 0.38 miles so that each interval + recovery equalled one mile, so I wasn't monitoring the time for them. 

• Now that is what you call conistent Stu. Excellent stuff. Funny you also mention how last week's intervals were much tougher. I felt the same and reallly struggled even though they were 800's, wheres the 1ks seemed much better (dare I say easier) last night. Very strange.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Vo2 max curse has struck again - I have done something to my low abdomen/groin/adductor - it popped up on last nights 14m run. Think a day or twos rest and rice is in order.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Oh and Good work AG!!

• Nightmare.

This marathon training would be easy if we weren't all getting injured so much!
  • Don't mention the 'I' word Mark!

woo hoo - I finally have an avatar too - only had to wait about a month!
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all. 15mi for me today...but for some reason I find myself alone with a chew crazy puppy who about 15 minutes decided to do a big dump in the hallway. I might take him with me and dump him in the local river.

Good luck with that injury Mennania.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

now he's fallen asleep on my foot.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

That's handy.  it will make it easier for you to volley him into the river! image