BHF Warwick Castle Half Marathon

Comments

• If anyone registered via Runners World, there was a problem with mine - I emailed bhf to check I'd been registered and the information hadn't made it all the way over to bhf's systems - I have no idea with this was a fault at RWs end or BHF's not loading in data, but either way if you don't have your race pack, it's worth following up.

• Missed out on this one, anyone know of any tickets going.
  • Just had a look at the route, its looks like it going to be very nice, especially the rural section, although I doubt there'll be many supporters out there.

I've plotted the route and have the following stats for those interested.

Total ascent: 165m
    Total descent: 156m
    Start elevation: 58m
    End elevation: 67m
    Min elevation: 51m
    Max elevation: 120m

It's basically uphill to the half way point and then down hill to the finish, with a few lumps in between. Much flatter than I was expecting. 

• Nelly: How long is a piece of string? 

In this case, not very. As long as you don't sit around all day eating cake you'll be fine. Just do what you can, easy jogging, cycling, swimming, stretching etc. 

• Yeah physio said stretch, stretch & stretch ............... she didn't mention not eating cake image

D day on tuesday, think I'll be sensible (for once) and accept what she says.

• OK I'm probably being stupid here and it's printed somewhere in big letters but, just looking through my pack , what time does it start next week?

• Hello!

I am visiting Warwick this weekend and am desperate to take part in the run. I am training for the Windermere Marathon and this weekend coincides with my half marathon training distance run. Lots of family in Warwick and would love to take part but the whole thing is sold out. Have spoken to the BHF and they won't budge on extra tickets or on the day entries. If anyone has a spare ticket that I could buy I would be delighted. Any folks who think they can't run it out there? Please send me a message if anyone has a spare. Happy Running.
  • @NellyP on the website it says it starts at 9am.

• DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Does anyone want a spare number, I've entered this and didn't realise it was at the same time of the Ashby20 road race (20 miles undulating) which I really need to run instead as its part of my VLM training plan.  

I've looked at the event website and it looks like its the usual rules that numbers can't be transferred so you would have to run as me so you obviously have to be male and ideally a V50. As long as you don't mind your name not being associated with your run then I'm willing to post it out to whoever wants it for free, its first come first served I'm afraid.

Click on my name to private message me and the lucky first will be messaged back asking for their address and I'll send it 1st Class recorded signed for to ensure it arrives, so its best to give me an address where someone will be in.

• DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Sorry but my number has been taken by someone on here so apologies if you are disappointed but it had to be to the first one that messaged me to be fair.

Have a good race everyone, just think about me running a race at the same time which is 7 miles longer and very undulating.

• Physio says YES (provided I'm totally honest and stop if my hip starts hurting) so it's all systems go see you all on sunday.

Just need to forget about any PB and just aim to finish.

• Looks like it's going to be cold and damp.

The only conditions I've known!

If you see a chap with big ears wearing an England baseball cap and looking like he'd rather be in the pub, that'll be me. I'll be in the 2 hour 10 ish group.

See you all there!

• Hello,

I am training for a marathon with my brother-n-law in 8 weeks time. We have manged to run most of our training runs together. He has got himself a place in the Warwick race and i have missed the boat. Rubbish! I would be so grateful if anyone out there had an entry which they werent able to use. Is there anybody who doesn't fancy the cold? Or can't make the day? Send me a message if you think you can help. Many many thanks in advance. And good luck to all on Sunday.

• DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

Even though I'm now not running this race, just to let you know I've just got an email to say:

All participants must be within the castle grounds by not later than 9am. The castle gates will then close for fifteen minutes, re-opening for spectators at 9.15am.

The car park will open at 7am to allow plenty of time to get parked.

The weather looks a bit warmer than now but not that much more so make a decision how many layers and what you are wearing on the day.

Philip number is on its way to you, have a good race and enjoy. imageimageimage

• Hi all, sorry I went a little quiet back there, been getting everything ready for Sunday! Hope you are all looking forward to it now! It is looking a little damp and cold, so do prepare for the worst and as Darkman rightly says, you need to get there in plenty of time to park up and be ready in time for a prompt 9.00am start!! We have opened the car park earlier and don't forget there will be catering on site to get a hot drink while you wait! image

Really looking forward to seeing you all there, fingers cross the rain holds off for us all!

• Hi all, sorry I went a little quiet back there, been getting everything ready for Sunday! Hope you are all looking forward to it now! It is looking a little damp and cold, so do prepare for the worst and as Darkman rightly says, you need to get there in plenty of time to park up and be ready in time for a prompt 9.00am start!! We have opened the car park earlier and don't forget there will be catering on site to get a hot drink while you wait! image

Really looking forward to seeing you all there, fingers cross the rain holds off for us all!

• Hi all.

I am doing this race too..obviously, that's why i'm on here!!

QUICK Q.

If spectators aren't allowed into the grounds how can they get there passes??

We (the runners) have to go into the grounds to collect them.

Sorry if that's a really stupid question lol.

Roll on Sunday...can't wait image

Thank you 

• As long as spectators have a copy of your confirmation email, they can collect their own tickets from the main entrance before accessing the Castle grounds.

Glad you're looking forward to it! image

• Thank you, that's what i thought, just wanted to check..don't think hubby would be to pleased if i left him stranded in the rain (hope not) with 3 kids!..So must make sure that i give HIM the e-mail and not leave it in my bag.

• Hi Hannah,

just want to check I've got this right we have to get into the grounds before the start but spectators can't so if I want to leave my bag with my wife I need to give her that before I go into the grounds (as well as the e-mail image).

I assume it a case of wearing an old jumper or something that can be dumped at the start.

Just want to get these silly questions out of the way so I'm not worrying on Sunday morning image

• Spectators can't enter the castle grounds until 9.15..15 mins after the race kicks off, YES leave email with your wife..but you should have a luggage lable that came with your welcome pack, they do have storage there.

Im still leaving my bag with my hubby (don't fancy leaving my bag )..and wearing my jacket that i can tie round my waist when i get hot image

• DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

ahhheeeemmmm

Just about spat my tea out reading the last bit of your message Victoria. image 

Went for my usual morning training run of 10 miles at 7am and it was a different degree of cold which I'm expecting for this Sunday.  Haven't been hot for the last week and a half whilst out running even when I did my 17mile LSR on Sunday it was fffffrrreeeeezzzziiiinnnngggg and just managed to get back to the car when the blizzard hit. image

Don't think that jacket will be round your waist all the way around the course to be honest unless you are a hardy soul. 

• Lol...

The last few weeks iv been in my t shirt,  then this week back to my long sleeve!!

I will just try to be hardcore (and freeze) and start in my t shirt, i'm one of these that get hot really quick.

On my runs i see other people with hat gloves long under armour and t shirt, if that was me i would of sizzled! 

• Not long to go now. An easy run tonight and maybe a few miles on Saturday and that'll be it. Looking forward to it.

As for clothing, unless the sun is shining I'll be wearing a long sleeve wool base layer and gloves. Bugger being cold. I'll probably take an old jumper into the castle and then chuck it to one side a few minutes before the start.

Fingers crossed that the weather is wrong and it'll be dry image 

• Yeap I'm thinking base layer, tights, gloves & fleece line buff with old jumper as well.

• Tom LuntTom Lunt ✭✭✭

so what time is everyone getting there? i thought about arriving for about 8 if possible, is this to early/late? just abit worried about traffic and parking etc!

• Weather forecast is improving and light rain is now scheduled for midday onwards. I might even leave my gloves at home....

Tom; the front car park at the castle is very small, but there are others a 5ish minute walk away. If you get space in one of those, 8 o/c would be fine. TBH if I'm ever unsure about traffic / parking I tend to arrive early and then sit in the car with a second breakfast and relax listening to some music. I have been known to nap beforehand as well. I'm staying with friends the night before, which will work out good providing I don't end up going for a 'quick beer' image

• Hi

I'm planning on getting there for about 8ish, purley because of the traffic...means leaving here about 6.30.

BIG flask of coffee for me image

• victoria campbell 4 wrote (see)

BIG flask of coffee for me image

Let's hope there are plenty of toilet stops around the course then!

I'm hoping to arrive by 8am, in plenty of time for the nerves to get the better of me!

• Tom LuntTom Lunt ✭✭✭

Has everyone recieved there chip aswell? i couldnt see it in my pack, ive had my number through etc but no chip?? according to the website i should have this, sent them an email but never had one back