WELSH RUNNERS

Comments

• same here getting on in years speed going down doing the 10 k but never have a good race in it plus got work tomorrow morning and then watching the swans will have to keep of the beer in training for the born to run ultra in feb

• Seren Nos.......Back to it tomorrow lol.......beer and watching football today!

• had more beer then i wanted to yesterday 44,24 chip time at swansea same as  last year  felt ok but never seem to get a good time in swansea rubbish weather

• Yippee - after resting my foot it seems better and I managed 8 miles today at the 2 rivers run in Presteigne.

Ron Skilton half in Llanwrtyd in October is a must do if anyone is looking for a hilly half the week after Cardiff.

Matt - you are allowed to stuff your face as long as it is in anticipation of running, right??

Swansea Imp - do you do many ultras?
  • Thanks Camlo, will quote you when Im standing on the scales crying lol.......image

• well I've decided that the Great Welsh Marathon in Llanelli (or at least the Half bitimage) on 21st April is an achievable target, so I'm planning in signing up for it image

• camlo it will be my first ultra looking forward to it i think

• another rejection from london

• Hmmm well I got into London..... Would have loved to do Llanelli again to be honest but I'll be 40 next year so ideal opportunity to raise some cash for Birmingham children's hospital with a stream of wacky events.
  • Finally feeling better after only 10 days, thanks for asking !! That was a monster cold and I have been climbing the walls.

Did a short run on Monday, and have been REALLY brave and gone out with the running club tonight! So pleased with myself. I was the slowest there, but it didn't matter, they were all really lovely and encouraging.

• With a name like mine, I suppose I should join this thread! Monmouthshire for me... so only just this side of the border!

• LOL, and have you run the whole country yet?

• Hi Folks,

I'm a northerner up here in Denbigh image

I entered the Cardiff half back in June but then had a couple of months eating, drinking and smoking to excess. I ran a local 5k at the end of August and thought my lungs would burst image so figured the CHM was out of the question.

I gave up the fags 5 weeks ago and started back out there. My entry pack came 2 weeks ago and I thought I may as well go 'coz I can't defer. So I'll roughly have had to up my distance from 5k to 21k in 4 weeks. I managed 15 last weekend. Hoping to do 18k this weekend image.

• Hi

I'm originally from Merthyr Tydfil but I now live in Cwmbran. I completed the Couch to 5k programme and had started a 10k programme but had to take 4 weeks off due to a broken arm. I started running again today and I'm trying to build up my distance again. I'm thinking I'll probably join one of my local running clubs soon.
  • Running clubs are FAB and I love being part of Rhayader club.

K80 - if you can get a decent run in this weekend you should be fine and anyway although it is a 'race' not everyone hares around it.

Kim - hope the arm is ok. Frustrating to have to take time out but should be able to pick it up again quickly.

I offered to lead a run over the ??lan valley hills today - 10 miles of shale, mud, icy rain, streams, bog, sunshine etc etc. Fabulous!! Only down side was losing 2 toe nails.

I got a ballot place for london so no Llanelli for me after all, sorry folks!
  • Thanks Camlo. It seems OK if a little achey (I fractured it close to the shoulder).

I've just done my 2nd run since restarting and I really enjoyed it. I had to go way back into the 5K programme but I think the fitness is coming back faster than first time round.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of what Fairwater Runners and Griffithstown Harriers (both Cwmbran) are like? They seem like they cater for beginners but I was just wondering if anyone knows of them.

• hi folks...from neath here..been running for just over a year,done several races from 5k up to half marathon distance,and doing the cardiff half in two weeks time.joined a local running group called run4all,which is run by members of port talbot harriers..about 4 months ago,and have since joined the harriers themselves.

i can't recommend joining a running club enough,as the help you get,the experience you can draw upon,and everything else has made it a very positive experience for me.

• time not being a driver is stopping me  rejoining a club i am in the road runners club and was in bearbrook  runners when i lived in aylesbury it does help a lot

• now that IS a small world imp! We moved here from Aylesbury, and I run with maddie who used to be in the Bearbrook Joggers!!

• Everyone seems to be from South Wales! image I hail from the North, Prestatyn to be precise. However I live in Liverpool due to attending university there. I am competing in the London Marathon for the first time this year and it is also my first ever marathon, should be good!

Any other fellow North Walians on here?

• tina lived  and worked in aylesbury  as a postman for nearly 20 years was in bearbrook joggers 89 to 93 had a few years of running and rejoined in 2003 untill we moved to swansea about 5 and half years ago still go back now and again

• Well hello Swansea imp.

My running has gone pants image So busy in work and life only been out twice in 2 weeks! Im gutted.............but hope to run this evening!!!!

• Matt, that's still more than the people who don't run at all! Try and get out tonight, forecast is for rain tomorrow.

I'm going to club night tonight, and hopefully will be (the slowest runner) running round the LilyPonds at Bosh on Saturday afternoon.

• legend777legend777 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

Thought this might be as good a place as any to mention there's a new Parkrun starting in Porthcawl soon (April 6th to be precise). Going to a meeting next week about it. It's being run by a few clubs in the Bridgend area. Really looking forward to it as Cardiff is a bit far for me just to do a 20 odd minute run, and Porthcawl would be half the distance / travelling time.

Saying that, I'm going to do Cardiff Park Run this Saturday as I've never actually been to one before so I can get a feel for how it all works and what the volunteers do. Hopefully the Porthcawl one will be a big success as I think it will serve a large area of runners from Bridgend to Swansea who won't have to far to travel to their nearest Park Run now.

• Great that there's another Park Run being started, although a bit far for me to travel. I have seen the Cardiff lot in action when staying there for a weekend and it's hugely popular; hope yours does just as well.

How is everyone doing? 

• legend - great news about the parkrun - I'm interested! image We are spoilt for choice for parkruns in South Wales now - one is officially launching next Saturday in Llyn Lech Owain country park near Gorslas.

Have had plenty of experience of running clubs in south Wales - I've been a member of 6! I now belong to 2 different clubs to get the best of both worlds and am also part of my university alumni running club. We are organising our first public 5k event this Saturday in Swansea.

hope you are all enjoying your running,. The warmer weather will be here soon

• legend777legend777 ✭✭✭

That's great. Didn't know about that 5K otherwise I might have considered it but I'll stick with the Park Run this weekend to see what its like.

The running club I'm a member of also have a race in a few weeks. The Cwm Ogwr 5 miler. It was an annual race around Ogmore Vale and Nantymoel which was last run about 20 years ago so we're bringing it back. It's on Sunday 5th May if anyones interested and it's listed on RW events pages with online entry as well.

Anyone else get local races others might not be aware of? My race calendar is looking pretty full already, but always on the look out for more!!

• they are also trying to get another park run off the ground in my area.......

• Sounds interesting Seren - where is that??

Legend - all the best for your parkrun this weekend.

I did a time trial of my 5k last night but must have mucked up the distance as I completed it in 19 mins - I can't even go that fast on a bike!

I feel overall, there have been some really positive developments with running and races in south wales. I'm proud to be part of the running community here image