Old folk - pros and cons

Old folks can be a pain, but at times very handy. Post your thoughts

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Don't try playing them at Trivial Pursuit.

🙂

• pros: if it wasn't for old folk i wouldnt have any pals.

cons: lot of funerals

• Pros.......they think I'm a fit young lady....image.......well i probably am compared to them

Cons..they are still too fast for me to keep up with on the bike

• BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭

No matter how bad things get, they can remember worse times...

' During the war'....image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Especially on running, older folks can be an invaluable source of tips and info.

It can be quite easy to forget that the chap you're leaving for dead now, was once a fair bit better than your best.

• BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭

when you say ' leaving for dead'.. do we assume you just mugged someone?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

change it to "beating in a race"

and before you ask that doesn't mean with a stick.

• Pros- they make me feel young

Cons - They drive to slow and clogg up Sainsburys on a saturday and there are going to be loads more old people accourding to the government/press.

• Bruce Tulloh aged 90something talks a lot more sense than most coaches

Check out your marathon results and you will find you are beaten by far more over 60s then you are by under 20s.
  • Pros: They know everyone's business. You can run away from them when you're bored of their conversation. They fought for our freedom during the 2nd World War.

Cons: They open every conversation with "Guess who's died this week?" They give you a 10 minute answer to a question that requires a simple yes or no reply. They run you over in their mobility scooter, then scowl at you as if it's your fault.

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

I never understood why their journey to school was always uphill both ways ......

I used to work with a bloke who told me that he used to walk 5 miles to school every day and it took him 25 minutes.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Rickster wrote (see)
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

I never understood why their journey to school was always uphill both ways ......

I used to work with a bloke who told me that he used to walk 5 miles to school every day and it took him 25 minutes.

Classic older I get the better I was type fare.

What annoys me with some older runners is the mysterious, no physical evidence pb they claim. Often out of sync with their other distances which do have records image

• I remember when this site was all fields.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Rickster wrote (see)

also reminds me of this fat oaf arrogant salesman I used to have the misfortune of vaguely knowing.

Adamant he'd do 100metres in 12seconds.

I'd say he'd be lucky to get under 20.

• Werther's are on special offer at the Co-op. I say, did I tell you that Werther's are on special offer at the Co-op.

That takes me back to when I were younger. Back then everything in the Co-op was tuppence ha'penny. We used to get loads of dividend stamps back then. My pension doesn't even cover the cost of my Sterident tablets now.

That's in the days when him who's married to her down the round, round the corner who's cousin's mnarried to that foreign bloke. Can't remember where he emigrated from. Barnsley, or somewhere foreign like that I think. Well he's got one of these new fangled wireless internet things. I bought this thing called a wireless router. Can't get BBC local radio on it at all. Must be broken. I prefer my old wireless with the valves in. Can't get them anymore. I say Ethel, you can't get them anymore.

Anyway, as I was saying...

• oiyouoiyou ✭✭✭

What a curious notion - the pros & cons of old people.

You do realise that very nearly half the people in the world are older than average.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

Pros: can be very grateful if it has been a while. gums.

Cons: dryness

• skotty wrote (see)

Pros: can be very grateful if it has been a while. gums.

Cons: dryness

That's what Dr Harold Shipman said as well.

• how old is "old" these days?

• AgentGinger wrote (see)

how old is "old" these days?

That's actually a very interesting question. People nowadays feel younger for longer. It's probably because people are living longer these days.

During World War 2 when 19 year olds were flying Lancaster bombers over Germany they were considered to be adult in every way shape and form. Nowadays we have 25 year old riding around on skateboards, and still acting like kids. I suppose that we have a younger mindset now from what we did in the old days.

When I left school at 16 and got a job it was the expected norm and at 18 we definitely felt grown up, but it's expected that a large proportion of the population will be in full-time education at university until they are 21. I'm 36 and back in full-time education at the moment. At one time people of my age would be starting to feel a bit old, but I must admit that I don't feel old. I know people in their 50s that say that they don't feel old yet.

• The old person's guide to driving.

70mph speed limit means drive at 40mph.

30mph speed limit means drive at 40mph.

Everyone knows that you live there, even people who aren't even from the area, so you you can turn in to your driveway without indicating.

Drive at 22mph in 4th gear. It won't do your car any harm.

Insist on call 5th gear an overdrive.

It doesn't matter if you are turning left, right or going straight up at a roundabout. You can still take the left hand lane and stick to the outside of the roundabout, cutting up all of the other drivers. including several HGVs.

Of course tartan seat and steering wheel covers are the hight of fashion.

Even though you are driving a Vauxhall Corsa that is only 6 months old, you still have to double declutch everytime you change a gear, just as if you're driving a baby Austin.

You don't need to brake, as you can slow down using your gears. Everyone will be telepathic, so will instinctively know that you are slowing down, even though your brake lights won't illuminate using this method.

• The way things are going with the welfare state all you young people will have spent your pensions supporting wasters with no job and 16 children and making sure prison is nice, before you reach old age, at which point nothing will be left for you.

• oiyouoiyou ✭✭✭

As a proper old person driver I would like to point out that, actually, yes as it happens I have got all f***ing day. I don't have to rush at all, I certainly don't have to rush for you.

• Seeing as old people have less time left to live than young people, you'd think that they would be in more of a hurry.

• Pros: they taste good in Lasagne.

Cons: i couldn't eat a whole one.