The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

Comments

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Be careful there Ady.  You are in great shpae and nearing taper time so the body can recover itself during this period.

I'm very jealous of you five right now. Only 3 1/2 weeks to go - mine seems an eternity away at 8 1/2 weeks!

Welcome to the newbies on the thread!

malcs - who said running was a cheap hobby?image

Off to the track tonight for the first time in this campaign. 6 x 800m as part of a 9 miler. I love this point of the training. Endurance in place - time to get quicker. Hoping I can run these inside 3:10 per rep but we shall see!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Forgot to say Sam - great running at the Grizzly!!!!!!!!!!image As for that husband of yours .............................brilliantimage

• Malcs wrote (see)

LOL - Mrs Malcs was politely asked to mime during school productions for similar reasons. 

In our school there are no hymns during assemblies. This was a special assembly which was more of a production so lots of acting and singing. All based on WWII. Then tea and cakes in the hall afterwards image

Btw. how the devil do you cheat at bowling? Seriously I want to know...no, I NEED to know! image

Free tea and cakes.........that sounds like a school worth moving near to get in the catchment area.  I'm inthe process of starting to look at moving into owning my first ever property, and I never realised how much school catchment areas can play a part in your search. I probably still wouldn't know if it wasn't for the ever wise Mrs. Shady Ady!

As for quick fire way of cheating at ten-pin bowling. Sadly it's not anything clever or a quick fire way to rack up 200+ every time. Basically the barrier came down on my last bowl in the 10th frame, and I was sure it was going to be a strike, so I re-scored my bowl, gave myself a strike and then had the extra bowl. This gave me a 1 point win over Mrs. shady who shot over 100 for the first time ever. I didn't think once about beating her, just the injustice that had happened to me with the mechanical failure.

Obviously I have learnt the hard way about curbing my competitiveness at certain times and with certain people since!

• Hi Ady

Yes it is a really good feeling at the minute knowing I can just go out and run and enjoy it, doing whatever distance and speed I feel like. I often go out and mix it up along the way, putting in some hill sprints or a random few fartlex sections. Just because I feel like it really, image

The idea of a 20 miler is actually quite daunting, hopefully a gentle progression up to that distance will get rid of that fear and as you say if im coping might fancy another one. Although im currently laughing at that thought. 

Some nerves can be a good thing though, they can keep you sharp and focused so use them to your advantage, although im sure you already know this! If you already know you work to pressure then you will be great. Just fingers crossed that everything in the final few weeks goes to plan and then the PB will be yours. 

Fingers crossed for summer soon, this cold weather is awful! Im going to try and get some of my runs done in the morning before work once the mornings are light enough which will be lovely. 

My diet wont be changing very much, i just need to up the quantity of food I eat when  I start training properly other wise I just loose too much weight!

• Evening all......I'll have to keep this short and sweet as I need to get on with the daily foam rollering exercises!

I was hoping to catch up on here today, but working well in to the evening, plus having to pick out tomorrows Cheltenham winners, has meant my evening has evaporated in to thin air!

I didn't run today. I decided to move cross training day from Friday to today. I think this was a sensible move, even if I was having no problems with my legs at all today. They actually felt better today than they have for the past week. I'm sure the rest will have done them the world of good, and I expect to be back up to speed tomorrow with my scheduled run! image

• Congratulations Sam on a good run at the Grizzly. Think I would slip some laxatives into my other halfs cuppa the night before on the next race though!!! Thankyou for answering my question on tapering.

Malcs ive forgotten, are you doing London? A part of me wishes to be tapering now aswell, but then another part of me wants the marathon to be more than 5 weeks away!

Sorry to hear that some of your niggles have come back Ady. I hope that the quieter running days and the sports massage help.
  • Well done Ady I was just about to post don'e be afraid of adding a cross training day in at this stage to rest the body and allow the niggles to ease out. It's like a balancing act at this point and you have to be cautious as most of the hard work is done and it's getting to the line in the best possible shape. Def go for that massage or even physio to loosen your back off. It'll be hard doing the foam rollering if your back is tight again you're probably not getting as good a release as you were.

A quick point for all don't have a massage too close to the race as your legs will feel weak and battered for a couple of days especially if you have a hard one. Put one in the week before then you have an easy week of running and race. def book one for the week after!!

• I started reading this thread earlier in the week and have now got to Page 20 and I am finding it as good as a thriller book. I was all buoyed up to see how you did at Guildford Parkrun and then deflated with the result which in itself was.very respectable and within realistic expectations.

There has been some useful info on running on low carbs and also gel intake during the race. I have also found the interval workouts and rest periods very interesting.

Only another 36 pages to go.

PS I was one of the lucky ones to get into York.

John

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Tuesday 12th March 2013

8:00am - Breakfast - Fruit and Fibre w/ semi-skimmed milk.

9:30am - Cup of tea, bottle of water

11:00am - banana, bottle of water

12:00pm - 4 mile jog (see earlier for description)

1:00pm - Lunch - Ham, cheese and avocado sandwich, bottle of water

2:45pm - cup of tea, tangerine

4:30pm - bottle of water

5:30pm - cup of tea

7:30pm - Dinner - Small lamb steak, croquettes x 3, beans, sweetcorn, pint of squash

8:30pm - Yoghurt with nuts and raisins. Cup of tea

10:00pm - Glass of water

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Wednesday 13th March 2013

6:50am - Breakfast - Granola with strawberries w/ semi-skimmed milk.

9:30am - Cup of tea, bottle of water

11:00am - Cup of tea

12:00pm - Lunch - egg, tuna and sweet pickle sandwich (an American favourite apparently - the combination actually works!), bottle of water

2:45pm - cup of tea,

4:30pm - bottle of water, apple

6:00pm - cup of tea

8:00pm - Dinner - Subway Foot Long Turkey Breast sub (cooking was the last thing I wanted to do after a 12 hour shift!), a few crisps stolen off my wife's plate, pint of squash.

8:30pm - Muller fat free yoghurt. Cup of tea

10:00pm - Glass of water

• Day 87 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (13/03/13)

Target: Rest

Actual: Rest (with 30 minutes of stretching and foam rollering)

After my tight quad yesterday I decided safety was the best course of action today - rest and no run, swapping Friday's rest day with today's

To be honest I really didn't feel any issues with my legs at all today and I could have probably ran without any issue at all. I wish I'd brought my kit into work 'just in case' as it would have definitely received an airing.

It was probably best I didn't though. After running 90 miles over the past 2 weeks, my legs probably have been pushed to their current levels of work and a day off shouldn't do me much damage at this point in my training.

The way I'm feeling now, there should be no reason not to run tomorrow, and I should catch up with this week's runs by running on Friday as well.

I made sure to ice my quad once I finally returned home late in the evening and then tried to master my foam roller. I'm still no expert and came close to squashing my crown jewels when putting a bit too much vigour into one of my foam roller rolls. I never realised such stretching activities were fraught with such levels of danger! 

• Day 88 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (14/03/13)

Target: 5 miles comfortable @ 7:50-8:40m/m plus 3x acceleration strides

Actual: 5.23 miles in 41:09 @ 7:52m/m including 3x acceleration strides

Mile Splits: 1st @ 8:00m/m. 2nd @ 7:46m/m. 3rd @ 7:44m/m. 4th @ 7:48m/m. 5th @ 7:46m/m.

Just the one extra rest day and it feels like I'm learning to walk again! I started off today very tenderly. The only time I have felt pain from my quad in the past is if I start off running too fast without stretching or warming up (makes a lot of sense really!), so I made sure to take a few minutes extra before setting off today by doing some dynamic stretching.

As I couldn't feel any discomfort from my leg, I tentatively set off, taking the first mile easy. In order to not over-stretch my quad, I decided to up my cadence and take smaller, quicker steps. This made running feel so much easier and as I wasn't feeling any issues still, I found it very easy to continue increasing speed until I was at the top end of my pacing target.

I don't know if it was because I had an extra rest day yesterday, but this was the easiest I think it's ever felt running quicker than 8:00m/m and therefore quicker than my sub 3:30 marathon goal. I don't know why this is the case. I've ran my heaviest miles recently and there was a chilly breeze pounding my face for the first half of today's run. It still felt extremely comfortable though.

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again before Paris.........hopefully this will be the end of my niggles and I can continue onwards and upwards. All I need to do now is to learn how to run again without worrying that I'm going to pull a muscles with every step I take!

Here's my run from today:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/284324118

• Nice one Ady! Not going to stop and chat now - tiring day in London after only getting back from Devon last night - but just checked in to make sure you were OK and getting through this final week before the taper begins in earnest next weekimage

• Boffy wrote (see)

Sorry to hear your niggles are back Ady.  I would definitely second Sam and Malcs' endorsement of a sports massage.  Really helped me.  It's between £40 - £60 around where I work, depending on how long you want, but might be slighlty cheaper outside of the city.  I think you've got to take the view that given the investment of effort and time you've put into the training, it's minimal in comparison (even if it doesn't feel it when you hand over your card to pay!).

One marathon a year is about fair I think.  I only got away with 2 the first time around because basically I didn't do much training for the first one, so my wife didn't fully appreciate the amount of time involved!  And she enjoyed the weekend trips away.

With a nom de plume like "Shady Ady" I guess we shouldn't be surprised at accusations of ten pin bowling cheating...

Hey Boffy.....Hopefully the niggles have gone on vacation now for the next 4 weeks or so! I'm going to look into booking into a sports massage sometime next week after Sundays long run. Like you say - you've got to see the cost of it as a long term investment in getting a brand spanking new PB!

I like your style........sneak in marathons in attractive places and Mrs Shady Ady will get a nicve trip away to a new place and wont moan once about the marahton training. I think I'll adopt this strategy from the moment baby number 1 is born!

As for the nickname 'Shady Ady'. It was uttered by a intellectually challenged classmate maybe 20 years ago and it's stuck ever since. Its probably good that this was the only word the classmate could think of that rhymed with Ady. If he had realised 'Lady' also rhymes with Ady, I could have been in for a tough childhood!

• Malcs wrote (see)

Well reminded Boffy - I forgot to say about the sports massage.

I go to someone that was recommended to me by a friend. They work from their own home and charge £20 per half hour. Their prices are reasonable so I you'd be doing well to get anything cheaper than that.

Not sure how you would locate one in your area - maybe ask somewhere here on the forum?

Failing that there is always google but I'd always prefer to go on personal recommendation.

£20........now you're talking my kind of price! I don't think it should be too difficult to find somewhere either near where I live or where I work. I think I've enjoyed Sarah's massages so much, I'm just expecting everyone to be that good now. 

I will be consulting Dr. Google to find a suitable massage parlour of the sports variety. I'm sure I've seen them advertised in my local Sweatshop store as well, so I'll explore this as well. I was hoping my winners from Cheltenham over the last 3 days would be enough to cover my mssage costs for the next three weeks, but all I've got for my efforts is a lousy profit of 50p! image

• DS2 wrote (see)

Be careful there Ady.  You are in great shpae and nearing taper time so the body can recover itself during this period.

I'm very jealous of you five right now. Only 3 1/2 weeks to go - mine seems an eternity away at 8 1/2 weeks!

Welcome to the newbies on the thread!

malcs - who said running was a cheap hobby?image

Off to the track tonight for the first time in this campaign. 6 x 800m as part of a 9 miler. I love this point of the training. Endurance in place - time to get quicker. Hoping I can run these inside 3:10 per rep but we shall see!

Hey DS2........I keep going between thinking I wished I had more time to train for Paris and then other times when I wish it was tomorrow. I think it's a good sign that I'm not too worried about how quickly it's coming up to being race day!

How was the track session? Apart from the training days in Birmingham, I've never done any of my training on the track. All my 400m and 800m sessions I've done along a piece of pavement with no interruptions. I do sometimes think that this might not offer the same quality of workout as a track session (and the motivating knowledge of running faster on track than on pavement?

8-1/2 weeks - I think you can fit another 4 or 5 twenty milers in, in that time! image

• Ksizzlepod wrote (see)

Hi Ady

Yes it is a really good feeling at the minute knowing I can just go out and run and enjoy it, doing whatever distance and speed I feel like. I often go out and mix it up along the way, putting in some hill sprints or a random few fartlex sections. Just because I feel like it really, image

The idea of a 20 miler is actually quite daunting, hopefully a gentle progression up to that distance will get rid of that fear and as you say if im coping might fancy another one. Although im currently laughing at that thought. 

Some nerves can be a good thing though, they can keep you sharp and focused so use them to your advantage, although im sure you already know this! If you already know you work to pressure then you will be great. Just fingers crossed that everything in the final few weeks goes to plan and then the PB will be yours. 

Fingers crossed for summer soon, this cold weather is awful! Im going to try and get some of my runs done in the morning before work once the mornings are light enough which will be lovely. 

My diet wont be changing very much, i just need to up the quantity of food I eat when  I start training properly other wise I just loose too much weight!

Hey Ksizzlepod! I can understand a 20 miler seeming daunting now. I remember when I first started running for the first time during the first summer break from Uni (after setting a new record of putting 15lbs on in the first Semester!). I built up my runs from 2 miles to 4 miles and then one day I attempted 6 miles......when I'd finished I couldn't believe I'd ran so far. Now though 6 miles is my average lunch time run. I can imagine you will view 20 milers as just another run before you know it. It does make it easier though when you have your first under your belt and then you know you've done it before and can do it again!

I'm envious you can run before work. I have to be in work for 7:30am, and there's no way I can get myself up early enough to squeeze it in before then. I really enjoy running in my lunch breaj - it breaks up the day and gives me a chance to run of the sresses from the mornings work!

I wish I had your problem of losing too much weight. I am deifnitely going to focus more on strength and core training after Paris though as I think this could help me improve more in the future!

You should have a nicer faerm's tan by the end of the Summer! 

• sarah osborne wrote (see)
    Sorry to hear that some of your niggles have come back Ady. I hope that the quieter running days and the sports massage help.

Hey Sarah......actually I had no problems at all when I was running today. I wish these niggles would just make their mind up and leave me alone. I definitely think it's only an issue because I have poor flexibility.

I know I shouldnt worry about missing runs so much now with most of my training over, but I kind of feel they are even more important as my mileage is decreasing. 

Only 5 weeks for you now........all these marathons are creeping up fast now! It'll be interesting to see how everyoe does!

• sarah asics pro team wrote (see)

Well done Ady I was just about to post don'e be afraid of adding a cross training day in at this stage to rest the body and allow the niggles to ease out. It's like a balancing act at this point and you have to be cautious as most of the hard work is done and it's getting to the line in the best possible shape. Def go for that massage or even physio to loosen your back off. It'll be hard doing the foam rollering if your back is tight again you're probably not getting as good a release as you were.

A quick point for all don't have a massage too close to the race as your legs will feel weak and battered for a couple of days especially if you have a hard one. Put one in the week before then you have an easy week of running and race. def book one for the week after!!

Hey Sarah....it's very reassuring to hear you say that. I'll let you know when I have the massage booked in. If I do have any problems I wont worry so much about scheduling in extra rest days.

It's interesting to hear about not having a massage too close to the race. I never contemplated this would be a problem so I'm glad you've mentioned it.

• JohnnyBike wrote (see)

I started reading this thread earlier in the week and have now got to Page 20 and I am finding it as good as a thriller book. I was all buoyed up to see how you did at Guildford Parkrun and then deflated with the result which in itself was.very respectable and within realistic expectations.

There has been some useful info on running on low carbs and also gel intake during the race. I have also found the interval workouts and rest periods very interesting.

Only another 36 pages to go.

PS I was one of the lucky ones to get into York.

John

Hey John........great to hear from you and glad you're finding the forum a good read and informative. I've definitely found the whole experience educational, and I doubt I'll ever run and train in the same way as I did before once Paris is over. I've made too many steps forward in the past 13 weeks.

Yes....there were a few low points along the way.......Guidlford was one of them.......looking back I think I put myself under too much pressure and wasn't prepared enough to get the time I was after. 

36 pages to go? Now there's a commitment....it might take more time than running your weekly mileage to catch up. I'll try and not ruin the ending for you, but there's a nail biting ending to it all! image Well that's how I currently envisage it will be......running down the home straight and seeing the seconds slowly ticking towards the 3:30 mark.....will he/ won't he. I doubt I'll be in the position of comfort to take it easy in the home straight!

Great news on getting in to York. That looks like becoming one of the best marathons in the country. I'd love to do this next year.

When do you start your training for York? Will you be starting the training off a good weekly mileage base?

All the best!

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Nice one Ady! Not going to stop and chat now - tiring day in London after only getting back from Devon last night - but just checked in to make sure you were OK and getting through this final week before the taper begins in earnest next weekimage

Hey Sam........don;t worry about me...........get yourself an early night.....and if you're struggling to get to sleep, I hear a nice glass of red helps! I'm enjoying these high mileage weeks actually that I don't want it to stop...........I'm going to struggle once the taper starts.

I hope you've recovered from The Grizzly at the weekend.

• im starting to feel nervous, so you must be!!

Glad to hear that the niggles had disappeared today.

Thankyou Sarah, I was just thinking that I need a massage and was wondering when would be best to fit them in.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    sarah osborne wrote (see)
    Malcs ive forgotten, are you doing London? A part of me wishes to be tapering now aswell, but then another part of me wants the marathon to be more than 5 weeks away! 

No, I didn't get in this year but I can't complain having made it through in the ballot 2 years on the trot. I will probably never get in again now image

I'd doing the Great Welsh Marathon on the same day instead which is nice because it'll save me from moping around the house wishing I was up there with you. 

Ady - good to hear that the niggles are back under control. I hate the mind games at this stage in the training. Thanks for the bowling tip - so basically you just hack the score sheet. I like it. Nice and simple image

So 2 hours off road on Sunday for you. That's still a decent long run. How are you feeling about that? Must equate to what, 14-15 miles?

Love your vision for the end of the Ady story. I hope the RW team incorporate your ideas into the race day video. I envisage lots of 'Matrix' style slow motion shots. Maybe they could get John Woo to direct it?

JohnnyBike - I'm doing York too (as is Sarah) so we'll see you there image Are you local to there? I'm hoping for cool weather at that time of year. Will be interesting to compare it with my April marathon which is bound to be hotter, though with the weather all over the place at the moment you never know!

• Goodness, I don't post for a few days and it feels like I have missed out on 10 chapters of a book!

Malcs- scottish! This is where I have to admit I only moved to Scotland aged 11 (from the green isle) but as I competed for Scotland a lifetime ago over cross country I feel I am an accepted  here although my other half is English & I am also Irish when it suits!  

Adrian (proper names when trying to be stern!) keep the focus only a few more weeks to go and eat regularly!

For interest here is restaurant details for Friday 5th April (not etaing until after 9pm although on Saturday eating at 6.30pm):

Al  Caratello (5 rue Audran 75018) only 2-3 minute walk form hotel.

Feel free to have a look at reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d788378-Reviews-Ristorante_Al_Caratello-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

No specific menu organized so will have to choose from menu.

• Hey Ady, I detect some early nerves kicking in. Phantom niggles, insecurities, finish line fantasiesimage!

As Sarah says, you've put in all the hard work now and it's mostly a case of maintaining fitness and steering clear of illness and injury. Wash your hands a lot - especially after going on public transport - and shamelessly stay away from people with colds and sniffles. 

With the unexpected snowfall (which I missed entirely in Devon/Cornwallimage) may have made your options a bit limited for the off roader on Sunday. Will you find somehhere OK? It shouldn't be knee deep in mud or slippery so use common sense when choosing route! Rather it was on road than on treacherous off road...

As the taper begins, you'll notice that the intensity remains - ie. there are some race pace and faster than race pace sessions each week - but the overall volume of the higher intensity stuff is lower, as is the overall weekly mileage. This is definitely the best way to taper. Even really small amounts of high intensity help maintain fitness while your body recovers and prepares for the big day. 

We have our last group training run on Sunday - they did their peak long run last Sunday too and this weekend is 13-16 with last few miles at MP. Excited for them - lots of first timers!

Have a good weekend all...

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ruth - yes, that's me. However, I too must make a small admission. Whilst I was born in Scotland to Scottish parents, we moved from there to Yorkshire when I was young so unfortunately I don't have a shred of an accent. I do have a passport though and as further proof I do love a scotch pie, plat sausage and pudding suppers - all the finest nutritional products from North of the borser I'm sure you'll agree image

Sam - best of luck with your training group. Are they all doing Paris too?

Ady - hope your weekend running goes well. I reckon it's going to be pretty wet and miserable and a bit windy too. Hopefully that'll be at your back and not full in your face!

Looking forward to the Six Nations decider tomorrow. A small corner of Llanelli is being constructed in our lounge. Dragons, daffs and a multitude of flags. At least I can watch this one knowing that divorce proceedings are unlikely.

• Day 89 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (15/03/13)

Target: 6 mile OUT AND BACK - 8.15-8.30 ON WAY OUT – 7.45-8 ON WAY BACK

Actual: 6.11 mile in 48:04 @ 7:52m/m - OUT AND BACK - 8:12m/m ON WAY OUT – 7:34m/m ON WAY BACK

Mile Splits: 1st @ 8:23m/m. 2nd @ 8:03m/m. 3rd @ 8:10m/m. 4th @ 7:33m/m. 5th @ 7:40m/m. 6th @ 7:29m/m.

Today was originally scheduled as a rest day, but because I'd taken a rest day on Wednesday, I instead moved Wednesday's session to today in order not to miss my run. Although an extra rest day wouldn't be the end of the world, I still find it difficult not to run if I'm feeling fine and dandy!

If there's one thing this training plan has made me realise, it's that I've found a love for progressive runs or runs ran at different speeds. I'd never incorporated these into my training before.

Most of my runs that I do are on out and back course and up until this training, the out and back parts were often ran at different speeds. The only difference being was that in the past I'd go out too fast meaning the first half was always quicker than the second half. It's nice to be doing it the opposite (and correct!) way now.

Work was a little less hectic today, so I was able to get out for my run on time, postponing slightly to let a heavy shower pass. It was extremely blustery today out, and this is the weather I hate the most. Give me rain, hail, snow and blazing sun, and I can mentally focus through it. Give me wind that feels like it's pushing and pulling me all over the pavement and my ability to focus and maintain a decent form starts to suffer.

Today was much of an improvement than what I have ran before in such conditions, but I still struggled to maintain a speed that my pacing guideline asked for. It's like I've learned to run for the first time and I just want to go faster and faster. I think this might have something to do with having no problems with my quad and subconsciously wanting to push it and see if it stayed okay.

The outward section was in to the wind and more uphill than downhill, so the return leg felt far easier, even with having to run at a quicker speed. Being able to main a average pace over the back 3 miles of under 7:40m/m and still feel comfortable is starting to make me feel like averaging 8:00m/m for a full marathon isn't anywhere near as daunting as I once thought it was!

I finished the run without any problems and the only negative from today's run was the lack of hot water on my work's shower, meaning I was forced to scream and yelp as I forced my body under the icy cold water. I'd hate to think what people walking past the shower room thought from the noises coming from the inside. It was probably the quickest shower I've ever taken!

Here's my run from today:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/284699336

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Thursday 14th March 2013

6:50am - Breakfast - Granola with strawberries w/ semi-skimmed milk.

8:30am - Cup of tea, bottle of water

10:00am - Cup of tea

11:00am - Bottle of water, banana

12:00pm - 5 mile comfortable run (see earlier for full description)

1:00pm - Lunch - Chicken and cheese brown baguette. Bottle of Cherry Coke (It's the first full ft Coke I've had during my training, and will almost certainly be my last too!)

2:30pm - Bottle of water, Muller Light Yoghurt

4:30pm - Cup of tea, apple

7:00pm - Dinner - Cheese bread twist, Piece of Quiche Lorraine, Salad and a slice of bread. Pint of squash.

8:30pm - Cadbury's Cream Egg, Cup of tea

10:30pm - Glass of water

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Friday 15th March 2013

Quite possibly my worst day's eating since the training began. Apologies Ruth.....I'll go and wash my mouth out with soap now and think about why I didn't follow your words of wisdom of asking myself "Do I really need that," before eating it!

6:50am - Breakfast - Fruit and Fibre w/ semi-skimmed milk.

8:00am - Cup of tea, bottle of water

10:00am - Bottle of water

11:00am - Cup of tea, banana

12:00pm - 6 mile 'out and back' run (see earlier for full description)

1:20pm - Lunch - Ham, Cheese and Salad Baguette, Jam Doughnut (I inexplicably gave in to the temptation of a free 'Red Nose Day' doughnut). Bottle of water

2:30pm - Bottle of water, Cup of tea

4:30pm - Chocolate muffin (bought as a 'surprise' by a work colleague, so I felt I couldn't turn down eating it - lame excuse I know!), cup of tea

7:00pm - Dinner - Tzatziki with breadstick, carrot and cucumber for starters, followed by beefburger with brown bread bap, couscous, roasted pepper and onion salad and potato salad. Pint of squash

8:00pm - Pint of squash

9:00pm - Cup of tea

10:30pm - Pint of squash

• sarah osborne wrote (see)
    im starting to feel nervous, so you must be!!

Hey Sarah....maybe it's ignorance on my part, but I still don't feel like the nerves are kicking in (contrary to popular belief!image) that much.

When I start to think about going for sub 3:30 though I start to get butterflies, as I know it's still on the top limits of what I'm currently capable of. But I don't think I'm as nervous as what I could be. In the past I've stupidly set myself unrealistic targets (both in running and in other areas). So comparing a sub 3:30 marathon to these, it kind of helps me control my nerves a little better.

Saying this though, there's no doubt come race day I'll be full of them! How do you (and others) deal with the nerves? Do you see them as a good thing or a bad thing?