RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Ricky / Carter - aiming for sub 3:45 nothing more.

Planning a 10 mile MLR tonight with some MP miles.

Waiting for the dentist at the moment.

Oirish - make sure you reduce the distance on the tempo run as your HM is undulating you will need fresh legs on Sunday. You will be fine. You have done the training.
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Oirish - as Carl says, if you're having a bash at a PB on Sunday I wouldn't do too much this week.

Ricky - I try and not do 2 speed sessions in consecutive days after I did it early in my training and it knackered me for a couple of my next runs.

Carl - wise move. My money is still on 3:38 though so I expect you to slow down in the last couple of miles if you are going to beat that time image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Spoons - listen to us giving advice out to others ! If you need to know anything feel free to ask us image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Spoons - close shave this morning, good to see no injuries sustained. Like the others said, sod the gym and go to the pub as a recovery session !

• Look at you all, you've grown up so quickly. image  Thanks for the advice all, I have definitely benefited froma lazy day today, a quick rev of the engine tomorrow with a light speed session and I should be good to go.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)

Spoons - close shave this morning, good to see no injuries sustained. Like the others said, sod the gym and go to the pub as a recovery session !

Spoons - took me a while to work out what happened but found it on the main thread. Glad to hear you are ok and hope the recovery session did the trick.

Work has played havoc with my running plans for tonight. Got home a way too late and if I had put on the running gear to head out the door I think my OH would have had me sectioned ......

Will decide tomorrow evening if I stick with my thursday interval session or swop it for the MLR. Whichever I don't do I will do Friday night and 22 mile LSR on Saturday.

So looking forward to my taper next week.

• Big match tonight so just jumped on the treadmill for my session.

Did 7 miles with a block of MP in the middle - 61 mins for the run.... and had to wring my towel out after.. phew warm work!

Poor Gunners - out on away goals... the cruellest way to go out. Everybody had them written off tonight  - including you Oirish! So very nearly image ...

Carl glad to see The Pool pulling Spurs' pants down on Sunday - I think you were at the game? Must have been quite an afternoon!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Ricky - it was a great match and it was good to teach Bale a lesson. My little boy was very expressive when it came to telling the ref what he thought of him and as for Bale well better left unsaid. Probably the best game I have been to at Anfield for a long time.
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Carl - to be fair, it wouldnt take much would it !

Ricky - I'm not a big Arsenal fan, especially Wenger with his 'I didnt see it' attitude when one of his players hacks the opposition down but then he moans as soon as one of his players gets fouled. Last night I wasnt bothered if they won or not but the longer the game went on and Munich were time wasting etc I wanted Arsenal to win. To be fair though, they might have won but I dont thinked they played particularly well.

Not like the mighty reds who are now in a Championship play-off spot !!

• oirisheyes wrote (see)

Ricky - I fancy Arsenal to go down in glourious failure tonight, I reckon it'll be a case of close but no cigar.

Alright I got date wrong but I would say my prediction was pretty spot on. I've a soft spot for Arsenal so it's a bit of a shame. Pretty much the only big Premiership clubs with an ounce of class about them.

I'll stay quiet on my opinions of Liverpool for now for fear of Carl refusing to speak to me ever again. 

Spoons- Not sure what has gone on with you but hope that things are okay mate.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Hi all - I'm still lurking image

I had a 5x1K with 90secs recovery session yesterday with the club, and I have the results of the splits below with the distance in miles and pace in mins/mile.  I can't quite believe it, but I did a similar session 7-weeks ago (which I was really pleased with at the time) and yesterday's min/mile pace for the efforts was approximately 30-secs quicker so I am seeing some improvements which is encouraging.

Split    Time     Distance      Av Pace

1          4:14.4   0.65             6:33

2          4:15.7   0.65             6:31

3          4:08.7   0.65             6:22

4          4:09.6   0.66             6:20

5          4:03.5   0.64             6:18

Average pace: 06:24

I'm not sure what pace to try the 10K event I have planned on 24th March.  I'm thinking of going out at 07:30 and seeing how I get on?  Any thoughts?

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Hi Big_G

Thanks for the tip about the routes on Garmin the other day.

My view on your 10k - those 1k split times are a tad quicker than when I run them. My plan for my half on Sunday is to run at 7:30. Therefore, I think you could look to be running your 10k at about 7:00-7:15 pace

• Apologies - I am back!

Big G - Those paces would suggest about 7:15 pace / 45 minute 10km.

• Hey Spoons good to have you back.

I have done my final run this week apart from a very slow 3 miler on saturday.

I did 5 miles with 3 @ HMP @ 8:03 avg the splits were 9:01 warm up 7:35 7:32 7:36 9:13 Cool down, all felt nice and comfortable. I'm off to pick up my race pack for Sunday now and lunch with Mrs O once she has finished quizzing the organisers with every question about the race she has already asked me.

It might be nearer tea time when I get to eat

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    My calf was still causing me a little discomfort so I didn't bother with the interval session that Spoons suggested. Instead I did an easy 5.3 @ 10:30. The calf feels better for that so a couple of days rest and I will hopefully be good for a PB attempt on Sunday
  • Nice one guys. Carter - stretch and foam roll that calf.

• Oirish - I take that back sir...... ! Somebody said we "had no chance really" - must have been Carter image

Big G - those are stonking 1k splits! Well done that man.... close to 7 m/mls possible for your 10k I would have thought based on that and if you're feeling good onm the day.

Bit tired this evening but went out and did a 6 mile run incorporating a decent hill session of 10 x 250 jog down recovery.

Tomorrow is supposed to be rest day but will prob have to run my 2nd MLR as I have work and then family stuff on Saturday.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Big G - Good intervals from you. 45 mins for 10k sounds like a great target. Go for it.

Carter - good decision. Rest now and come Sunday everything will be rosy. But do what Spoons suggests as he knows best.

Oirish - Everyone is entitled to an opinion so no worries there. Good running from you today.

Loads of races going on this weekend. All very exciting. image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Came home tonight to find out that I was due to go to a parents evening at the school. So I duly attended in full running gear, and got planty of strange looks.

Went running from the school gate with no route in mind but ended up getting in a decent 11 miles. Splits as follows :

8:50; 8:01; 8:01; 8:00; 7:59; 8:01; 7:56; 7:58; 7:56; 8:45; 9:18

Most important run this week is my 22 mile LSR on Saturday.

Spoons, what would you suggest I do tomorrow. Suspect that an interval session might make Saturdays LSR tougher than I want it to be.

Am really looking forward to the taper as my body is tired from all this training and needs a rest.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - sorry dd not realise you posted. Good that you got out even with you being tired. With all the training it is no wonder that some evenings the body will be saying no when the head is saying that you must go out as you have a plan to follow. Looks to me that you did the sensible thing. Best of luck with fitting the running around work and family commitments. Sometimes it would be easy to forget that we have a life to lead as well as all this training to do ..... image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Well done again boys, some good consistent running taking place yet again.

Carl - how much before your race are you flying out to Paris ? Do you have other plans while you're there ?

Ricky/Oirish - "no chance really" - they got a lot closer than I thought.

Question to everyone - what are you planning to do the weeks immediately after your race ? Get straight back into it, ease you way back in to it or have some time off before you even run again ? At this stage I intend to have the first week off, do a couple if easy runs the following week and then start on training for my next marathon and ultras. I guess a lot of it will be dictated to by our bodies ! Spoons - what did you do after your first marathon?
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Carter - travelling across on the Eurostar on the Saturday morning as I have to pick up my running number from the Expo. Planning to come back Sunday afternoon. Up to last week my OH showed no interest in joining me but said yesterday that she might come so we will see.

As I came out of my last 2 attempts injured I spent time with the Physio and had to cut out running for 4 - 6 weeks.

This time I am planning a couple of recovery runs for 2 - 3 weeks and then back to normal running. I have entered 2 10k events in May, one mid May in Oxford and the Bupa London 10k at the end of May. I am going to try and get down to 45 mins. Will need to work out how to train for a 10k but that is a few weeks away.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Thanks all - yes I was pleased with those splits.  I surprised myself to be honest, and the last split was the quickest which is always encouraging.  I was shattered at the end, but I suppose that's the point image

Carter - yes, I use that Garmin route finding facility quite a lot for races I haven't done before.  It's not an exact measure but it just gives me a bit of an insight into what the course is, where any major inclines/declines are etc.  You will find that the results from different watches differ slightly for the same event, but I look at 2 or 3 and kind of go for an average, or discount the ones which are obviously wrong (for example, I have seen a profile where it was -100 meters for a few miles, and then just jumped up to +1000 meters which was definitely not right...that watch must have been faulty!).

There is some strong running by everyone here.  We're getting to the business end of the training now, aren't we!  I think my target race is a bit later than some of you, and this next 3 or 4 weeks is key for me.  I have a 6-miler today, and then a 20 miler on Sunday.  Due to my 10K a week on Sunday, I have had to shuffle next week's training around a little bit.  I want to do well in my 10K, but it's not a key goal for me so I'll see how I feel on the day.

I am also wondering what to do after my May 5th marathon in terms of training.  I have a June 23rd Half Marathon for which I want to have a crack at a sub-1:40 but I'm not sure yet how I'll organise the training for the 7-weeks between the marathon and half marathon.  If anyone has thoughts on that, I'd be interested to hear advice (I know June is a long way off but I want to start thinking about it).

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Hi Big_G - I forget which marathon you are running ? I guess we all need at least a couple of weeks 'rest' after a marathon which gives you 3-5 weeks to train for your HM. My training is mainly for the marathon but have slightly tweaked my training for the week before I have raced any HM. It consists of two speed sessions: Tuesday is a tempo run which I have been running about 15/20 seconds per mile quicker than my HM pace and built up to 40 minutes so far. Thursday is intervals where I have been running things like 8x800, 12x400, 4x1000 and mixing that sort of thing up. I guess for those 5 weeks before your half you dont need to do any real long stuff and can focus on some solid speed sessions. Obviously you would need to be careful not to overdo it with he speed stuff and still do some easy MLRs - that's my opinion based on what I have learnt during this. Spoons will no doubt give you some additional advice too

• Carl D wrote (see)

Most important run this week is my 22 mile LSR on Saturday.

Spoons, what would you suggest I do tomorrow. Suspect that an interval session might make Saturdays LSR tougher than I want it to be.

Am really looking forward to the taper as my body is tired from all this training and needs a rest.

That's a good sign. Taper will do you loads of good.

If you ran 11 miles on Thursday and are doing 22 on Saturday then don't go mad tonight. You could do a slightly shorter / lighter session. More tempo paced than flat out effort to reduce fatigue.

• carterusm wrote (see)

Question to everyone - what are you planning to do the weeks immediately after your race ? Get straight back into it, ease you way back in to it or have some time off before you even run again ? At this stage I intend to have the first week off, do a couple if easy runs the following week and then start on training for my next marathon and ultras. I guess a lot of it will be dictated to by our bodies ! Spoons - what did you do after your first marathon?

I would suggest stuffing your face with pizza and beer followed by ice cream. Then have a few days off running. Walking, swimming, cycling etc are OK. No speedwork or runs over an hour for 10 days. Gradually increase the training again over a few weeks.

• Big_G wrote (see)

I am also wondering what to do after my May 5th marathon in terms of training.  I have a June 23rd Half Marathon for which I want to have a crack at a sub-1:40 but I'm not sure yet how I'll organise the training for the 7-weeks between the marathon and half marathon.  If anyone has thoughts on that, I'd be interested to hear advice (I know June is a long way off but I want to start thinking about it).

Week 1 - cross training and slow runs up to 45 minutes only

Week 2 - cross training and slow runs up to 1 hour only

Weeks 3-6 - focus on speed intervals at 5km - 10km pace and tempo runs at 10km - half marathon pace.

Long runs - 12 miles, 14 miles, 16 miles, 12 miles - half marathon pace plus 90 seconds per mile ish ( a bit quicker than your long runs during marathon training )

Week 7 - easy week and race

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Thanks Spoons....that looks good.

Carter - I'm doing North Dorset Village marathon.  It's quite a small marathon (less than 500 runners I think) but a number of my club mates are doing it.  Also, I'm following the Shades thread on here and she ranks it as her number 1 UK marathon.  Shades is aiming for her 300th marathon this year and has run most of the UK-based marathons in her time, so if it's good enough for her.....image  I just need something to banish my disastrous 1st (and only) VLM 2010 marathon so it seems a good one for that.

• I am doing the 20 mile marathon prep race at Ruislip this weekend.

i will take on board all the useful advice I received here after the last one where I blew up after 17 miles. Need to be a bit less ambitious I think.

Thanls for all the advice received here.

I will let you know how it all goes!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Big G - some great running from you at the moment. Running with a small field in the marathon will be very different from an overcrowded VLM. Interesting that you are running a HM so soon after running the big one. I ahve got 2 10k's plabbed during May but am beginning to think I should find a HM in June just to keep me ticking over.