Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you're pretty safe that a track is 400, so lap times on there are going to be safe to work from.

Average pace you can't be safe at all.

Is the park run a 5k, a 5kMT, or a 5KNAD.

Go and give it a rampage and see if you can avoid smashing the early bit too hard like me. World of pain I tells ye image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Stevie see wrote (see)

the coach sent some kids round with a trundle wheel

What a bast. Did he also send them to the shops to pick up a tin of tartan paint, a skirting board ladder,  a long wait, a reach around and a glass hammer? image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

stevie - ave pace and distance on a garmin are a waste of time for a track session imo.  But it was a good session regardless

Bus - you are setting an example to us all of how to manage and stay positive when injured

a rolling 20*200m session tonight for me all out as 33sec.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Go and give it a rampage and see if you can avoid smashing the early bit too hard like me. World of pain I tells ye image

I can't think of any part of a 5km that is particularly pleasant!

Chin up Bus!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dean, having done 8 200s at 34 (well one at 33), with 60sec recovery, I can appreciate how hard work 20 in 33s must be!

Iron, the pleasant bit is when you see that glorious finish line, look at your watch and you're on target!

• It's a 5KMT so no pressure. In the book I'm reading, the chapter on the 5K training has a lovely quote I thought I'd share "If you plan your race optimally, your lactate level will become distressingly high just as you reach the end of the race" - What a lovely day out that sounds! image

If we ignore the GPS. The reps were all 5:55 mile pace, which is pretty optimal LT work.

Dean, great session. I'm a fan of that session, albeit doing reps in 36-38!

• IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

SS - I would assume the 400m is along the centre of the inner lane?

The actual length of a track should be measured 30 centimeters (0.3 meters) to the right of the inner curb.

• Useful to know Phil.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Dean, you too IC. Nice session btw dean - just watch those 200m if my physio is to be believed image

Philip I believe you are certainly right -  not going to be easy to send out those kids and tell them to keep exactly a ruler width from the edge curb though! I guess its done the other way around when they lay our the track in the first pace. Statistically, though if they meaure wherever they like within lane 1, and sssuming there's a good spread across the lane it'll come out to 400m given enough measurements anyway!

IC - it must be really tricky to balance out the quality sessions in all three disciplines. Those cycling related calf cramps are weird too. When I first started working in Wycombe, I sent the first summer cycling to work and back from Staines, at a high cadence, but on the flat, so a bit like turbo training, and cramped up at the lights in Eton almost every night! On hilly, longe rides at a slower cadence I'd never cramp.

• The Bus wrote (see)
    IC - it must be really tricky to balance out the quality sessions in all three disciplines. Those cycling related calf cramps are weird too. When I first started working in Wycombe, I sent the first summer cycling to work and back from Staines, at a high cadence, but on the flat, so a bit like turbo training, and cramped up at the lights in Eton almost every night! On hilly, longe rides at a slower cadence I'd never cramp.

It is. Especially moving from long-distance tri where every session is done at 'easy' pace. Now it is all at snot-fast.

The cramps started to build during the low-cadence hard effort intervals then started to fire during the low effort fast cadence TT set. I guess it depends on what the body is used to. Cramping calves are a mainstay of the second run on a duathlon. It's a case of pushing through it.

• 200m sessions seem to be the flavor of the month at the mo... Is that the session where you get the taste of blood at the back of your thoat at the end????

Bus, hope the physio thing works out... Got to admit, if I was the physio for Steve Ovett and Crammie, I would have kept it quiet, don't remember them still running in their thirties... But remember he may have the advice, but you've got the knowledge of how your body works...

Another day off today, days off seem to out number days training at mo... Bit of a mojo thing...

• IC... I'm no expert, but would cramping calves be down to insufficient or the wrong fluids ect, taken on your bike stage... Again, good luck on the 21st April, win it for the Queen, she'll be 87 that day... If thats her proper birthday, and not the one to get extra prezzies...

• Bluenose74 wrote (see)

IC... I'm no expert, but would cramping calves be down to insufficient or the wrong fluids ect, taken on your bike stage... Again, good luck on the 21st April, win it for the Queen, she'll be 87 that day... If thats her proper birthday, and not the one to get extra prezzies...

Very likely Bluenose. A sprint is too short to take on fluids during the run or bike. I try to swig something in transition.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Stevie see wrote (see)

It's a 5KMT so no pressure. In the book I'm reading, the chapter on the 5K training has a lovely quote I thought I'd share "If you plan your race optimally, your lactate level will become distressingly high just as you reach the end of the race" - What a lovely day out that sounds! image

Love it Stevie. What a "reward" for racing "optimally!!"

Clearly I avoided that last time out as I raced like a clown, and experienced my main discomfort in the first half a mile, slowing down over the next 2 1/2miles, and full of "never again" sentiments.

Until 5mins after when I thought, when can I go again.

Iron, my old club were insistent on adding a "Riders" section to the club. I now hear they're going solo again, and I was checking out their website. The Sunday "ride" of 70miles made me stop and read again "

Just the 70miles, nothing to it! Out to the far end of London and back. Standard!

Bluenose, I do 200s at 1500 pace. I'd hate to do them anywhere faster. 1500 pace is fast, but you come away after without being mashed legs. Doing 200s at any faster kind of paces must leave some damage, especially the older you get!

2nd last day off today, nice session coming up soon. 7x300. Quite like the routine now. Drive up to the track, do a 3 1/2mile warm up out and back. Get back to the track, do the business, and then 3/4 laps jog cool down. Drive home.

Before anyone says it, I used to run my warm up to the track up some steep hilly woods (track on top of a steep hill 2miles away). Clearly not the best warm up to work hard! And then you have too long a distance after for the cool down.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

SG - I wasn't going to say anything about your short car trip image

I used to know a guy when I worked at Wycombe, who, right into his 70s would think nothing of taking his bike for a little ride to central London and back (in tweed jacket and flat cap) for a meeting! He was a previous tandem record holder for various distances. he was a lovely old bloke.

I did 14.5M on the bike to work this morning - finally enough, the first traffic lights were at14M and after they went green my left calf cramped up! Had to do some nifty one legged cycling to get out of the trafiic!!

Bluenose74 wrote (see)

200m sessions seem to be the flavor of the month at the mo... Is that the session where you get the taste of blood at the back of your thoat at the end????

Bus, hope the physio thing works out... Got to admit, if I was the physio for Steve Ovett and Crammie, I would have kept it quiet, don't remember them still running in their thirties... But remember he may have the advice, but you've got the knowledge of how your body works...

Another day off today, days off seem to out number days training at mo... Bit of a mojo thing...

Hmmm, that's a very good couple of points there Bluenose! I probably need to see Ron Hill's physio image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yeah Bus, I've tried the little "run-commutes" in the past, but just found the benefit versus hassle to be minimal.

I much prefer to drive it, have the car available if I need it, carry the stuff I need in comfortably, and then get home earlier and do a proper run.

As for that hilly woody warm up. It took me a while to realise that wasn't exactly aiding the quality track stuff image

You're going to struggle to rest up I can tell!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I've never been one for sitting still!

At the moment, that is what causes the most pain anyway, and send s the sciatic nerve into spasms. so I'm REALLY looking forward to tonight as I've got to sit through a two hour amateur show with my daughter in, in a village hall on a hard plastic chair! The things we do for our kids eh?

Swimming at lunchtime! Maybe I should just accept it and join IC in the world of Triathlons image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

talking of cycle commutes Bus, I'm fully converted now to cycling to work. Absolutely loving it. Been cycle commuting for a good month now and thankfully 90% of my route is cycle lane. It may only be 3 miles each way but the additional 30 miles a week on top of 65+ mile weeks has to do some good. Amazed by drivers though - there really isn't a lot of love out there for cyclists.

Nice sessions Iron, Dean, SS. Went out for an easy 45 mins myself last night and have far too much spring in my step - the 2 days rest and 7 miles total for the week (pre run) are to blame for the 45 mins at average 6.40 pace. Felt easy though as wasn't looking at the garmin and just running by perceived effort.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Resting up was never a problem for me.

I've never had the 'ants in your pants', 'bouncing off the walls' kind of nervous energy that people; who can go skiing with a slipped disc, seem to have.

I like being fit but have no inclination to exercise. 

Ran 9 miles yesterday wearing a HR monitor. Once the rate got to around mid 150's I could feel as was on some sort of threshold so kept backing off the pace to keep it there. Hit 160bpm on one hill and stopped to get the rate down. Didn't take much.

Average pace 6:55 while all dressed up was ok. 

Recovery on the indoor bike as usual. Never had calf cramp on a bike though.

🙂

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

believe me Ric, I've enjoyed resting this week, inspired by our conversation a week or so ago. I took it on board and have no guilt whatsoever!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Johnas, Glad to be of some assistance.

Mixing running with biking worked for me in quite a big way.

One year I ran the London Marathon and did 2:56. Six months later I ran Abingdon in 2:46. For that six months I only averaged 17.5 miles per week and cycling.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I think its when you stop and then start agin that cramp comes - some sort of eccentic muscle thing going on. Only ever had cramps running after a marathon or during a long fell race.

Johnas - you're right about drivers. There is something about getting behind the wheel of a car that turns otherwise kind, considerate  people into raving physcopaths! They don't just hate cyclists, but often each other as well! After 25 years of cycle commuting I am still amazed by the risks that some drivers take (especially overtaking a bike on a blind bend!) and the fact they some feel they simply must get past a cyclist even if they can see that 50m further on they'll get to a junction/queue or whatever!

Best thing about cycling though si that, becuase it uses such differnt muscles to running, it's a good back up for when injured or suffering DOMS etc (and is often pleasant in its own right of course!)

Good pace that Ric over the 9 miles.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Blimey Ric your long run paces seem to get quicker and quicker.

Johnas, no wonder you're coming on so strong with large mileage, personal coaching plus the extra cycling!

I'm like Ric, I can comfortably do nothing for a day, it's certainly a throwback to the days I did no exercise as a kid and played computer games for 7-8 hours on the spin!

That does come with the caveat that as long as it's only for 1 day and is amonst a packed week otherwise. I'd certainly go loopy if not.

7x300 done. 3k pace the target which is 4.57-5.02 fare.

the 51 was a gnat's nibbler under 52, and the 54 was into the strongest wind of the session, so all in all fairly consistent.

technically a 54 would be 4.50 pace, so all comfortably quicker than target pace,

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

good training there , sg, ric and johnas

went out for a cheeky tempo 1.5m warm up  4m ave 5.50 pace 1.5m cool down. 

now lots of rest as i prepare for wilmslow next weekend (well apart from a 10m tomorrow)

• 3.7 miles to the jewellers and back at lunchtime: 21st birthday coming up. parkrun tomorrow: need a solid one to back up the 18:52 a few weeks ago and will be pissed of if I am not faster though it is on the Rye which is a harder course.

• Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

3.7 miles to the jewellers and back at lunchtime: 21st birthday coming up.

21 AGAIN??

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Philip - the Rye is going to be a quagmire by tomorrow, so don't be too disappointed if that affects the time somewhat!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i was actually up and about a few mins before the park run last week....did for a second entertain ideas of pootling it round.

But then I thought i don't really want a 23/24min job on my record! And probably i wouldn't have been able to resist monstering a few people and completely wrecking what was supposed to be an easy paced run anyway.

so erm...didn't. image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Stevie you should run it but don't get your barcode scanned so you can jog it incognito
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Southern six stage next week. So with that in mind and owing to the probability that it will be raining, I may consider a 'dry run' tomorrow in the wet to gauge potential.

I'll warm up a couple of miles and then do a 5 mile tempo with the HR monitor. As long as I avoid the 170's the pace shouldn't prove too stressful.

🙂