Red Nose Day

So whats everyone doing for Red Nose day today.

Me absolutley nothing, ok I might bung some change in a bucket at the satation but thats it.

To be honest I am getting a bit charitied out at the moment and am finding that this years it all starting to grate on me.

I must be getting old and miserableimage

Comments

• I may well bung some change in a bucket as well. The problem these days is that you can't walk through a city centre without getting accosted by a chugger. I usually pretend to be talking on my phone when I walk past them. That way they leave me alone. Useful tip for you all there. image

• I'll give a donation but not watch the programme - incredibly un-funny stuff.

• im a bad mother, totally forgot, sent the kids to school in their school uniform. they got in at 8 for breakfast club, got a text remainder at 8.15 from the school to make sure the kids are wearing their favourite sports stars!

• I wear a coat with a faux fur collar. It's like a magnet for chuggers they seem to think it denotes that I am blessed with untold riches.

I'm not doing anything for Red Nose day. I manage to donate to charity without a bunch of celebrities telling me to.

• Oh good its not just me then. image

We got a message from school yeserday saying that the children should go to school wearing thier comic relief t shirts....!!!!! What and where do you get them from at such short notice, even my daughter was peed off by the whole thing.

It seems to all be about second rate celebs having fun and begging us for for more money.

Bored of it now...

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

On the first ever Red Nose Day I helped an old lady cross the road whilst wearing a red nose.  I think I've done my bit.

• or as rudolph calls it...friday.

• I wont do anything for RND, did it the first year as it was new and a bit of a laff, but now, we have too many things needing fixing in THIS country, I simply wont send good money out of the country to be swallowed up by the same drug barons and gun runners that have been keeping 3rd world countries poor for the last 54 years that I know about.

I also dont give a damn what people think of my opinion on it image

• The TV programme leaves me a bit cold. Davina Mc Call near tears over some kids in Africa one minute and clowning around and giggling the next. David Tennant staring into the camera in Africa. "Are YOU one of those people who never give to Comic Relief?" Why don't you and your TV mates donate the price of your next 100 quid bottle of wine, David?
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭

I work for a charity anyway, every day is red in our worldimage However, we're having a declutter day in preparation for some office moves, so I've taken the opportunity to wear pyjamas. They're very comfortable image

• Just remember who you are
  • Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I want to start raising money for an orphanage project and school that some freinds of mine are running in Kenya, and for experimental medical treatment for alocal girl.

Thing is, I know exactly what the answer will be if I approach anyone within a month either side of RND.

It raises awareness but I do get pissed off seeing already over-privileged celebrities able to take time out to train for, and take part in the most amazing challenges and furthering their careers into the bargain. Most people will never get that opportunity.

But then I hate anything to do with relity television and think Charlie Brooker is the second-coming of Aristotle. Hardly balanced.

• I think that sounds like a really good cause Snap. Would be a really good way to use money to experiment on African kids.
  • Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Sussex Runner - two different causes - local girl is in UK.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

A memo came round at work:

"Wear something red and donate £1, don't and donate £2."

I confess that I managed to be out of the office when the girl came around with the collecting tin.  I give to the charities that I want to, because I want to and support what they do.  Not because of the privilege of turning up to work.

Anyway, this time of year I tend to give sponsorship to people for various events that they are doing (but rarely London Marathon).  I don't have spare cash to be giving out just to stop someone waving a tin under my nose

• It would be better to teach proper contraception to the third world, rather than propping up families with 10 kids
  • RicF wrote (see)

Tend to be a bit suspicious of anything wondrous emanating from the good ol USA.

Its odds on that the promoters of anything have an ulterior motive, usually to relieve Joe Public of large amounts of cash.

Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    It would be better to teach proper contraception to the third world, rather than propping up families with 10 kids

there are several charities/groups that do, (although I cannot say if red nose day contributes to them)

however, one BIG one that teaches the opposite.

• CheesyRider - Born to be Mild wrote (see)

I wont do anything for RND, did it the first year as it was new and a bit of a laff, but now, we have too many things needing fixing in THIS country, I simply wont send good money out of the country to be swallowed up by the same drug barons and gun runners that have been keeping 3rd world countries poor for the last 54 years that I know about.

I also dont give a damn what people think of my opinion on it image

Good. It's not a very well educated view, but since you don't give a damn...

• MartenkayMartenkay ✭✭✭
    Snap! wrote (see)

I want to start raising money for an orphanage project and school that some freinds of mine are running in Kenya, and for experimental medical treatment for alocal girl.

Thing is, I know exactly what the answer will be if I approach anyone within a month either side of RND.

It raises awareness but I do get pissed off seeing already over-privileged celebrities able to take time out to train for, and take part in the most amazing challenges and furthering their careers into the bargain. Most people will never get that opportunity.

But then I hate anything to do with relity television and think Charlie Brooker is the second-coming of Aristotle. Hardly balanced.

Just how much does it cost to finance all these 'challenges'. The logistics of travel, camera crews, equipment and insurance must be huge unless everything has been negotiated for 'free' because it is RND. Do the celebrities just 'donate' their time at their usual hourly/daily rate or do they actually put hand in their pockets and give hard cash to take part?

It all seems a lot of fun for those (celebrities and public) involved and a lot of money is generated for the charities. It seems that there is a lot of spare cash about.

• I just haven't got any spare cash.

It pisses me off when rich "celebritys" (and I use the term loosely Lenny Henry) ask me to part with my hard earned. I would like to know what they give to charity.

Last year it was Chris Moyles grizzling on about how people should give money. I tried to find out via the internet how much he gave of his own personal money but couldn't find out.

• Sadly, it often takes celebrity endorsement to winkle money out of people. There are few charities like Help for Heroes, which - whatever you think of it - chimes with something in the British public's charitable nerve and is perhaps the biggest fundraising phenomenon of recent years. Not saying I like Comic Relief or the use of celebs, just saying.... It's a bit like chuggers: everyone slags them off, but a lot of charities keep on using them because... they see good returns.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Its costing me £3000 to take part in my own personal challenge for charity.  Plus hotels, training camps, kit, travel costs etc.

It would be rather nice if someone was to follow me with a TV camera and pay me for the privilege.  then I could spend my time on the trainign and fund raising instead of trying to work out how to meet the next payment

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Rickster wrote (see)

I may well bung some change in a bucket as well. The problem these days is that you can't walk through a city centre without getting accosted by a chugger. I usually pretend to be talking on my phone when I walk past them. That way they leave me alone. Useful tip for you all there. image

I don't know why people get worked up about chuggers - t's very easy to avoid speaking to them.  I pass them every day - I just smile, say "no thanks" and just keep walking.

They won't follow you.  I think they have their point on the pavement and aren't allowed to move much.

• you must have more polite ones than here Wilkie image

one actually started arguing with me, as i tried to run away down the street.

"i'm saving lives mate, I'm saving lives...what are YOU doing". genuine quote.

I find the best way to deal with them is to be armed with information. knowledge is power. knowing their CEO earns over 100k a year helps. i question the amnesty ones on their questionable campaigning. or the sectarian foundations of Barnardos. soon shuts them up.

• There's a thing called the 'three-step rule' - they're not supposed to move more than three steps with a victi.. er, a potential donor. This is of course an informal rule. However, lots of cities and towns are going down the town-centre agreement route - ie strict rules on when, where and for how long, with permission revoked if anything untoward happens. 

• the dude abides wrote (see)

you must have more polite ones than here Wilkie image

one actually started arguing with me, as i tried to run away down the street.

"i'm saving lives mate, I'm saving lives...what are YOU doing". genuine quote.

I find the best way to deal with them is to be armed with information. knowledge is power. knowing their CEO earns over 100k a year helps. i question the amnesty ones on their questionable campaigning. or the sectarian foundations of Barnardos. soon shuts them up.

Dude, you need to see this site from Tuesday. You'll read something of interest...http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/

• thank you peter. very interesting.

• I did notice that Edinburgh Cooncil came just short of an all-out ban but did put in place some of the restrictions you spoke of. And it has helped a little. nothing in glasgow yet.