Is this your 1st Marathon, no matter which one

Comments

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Sorry for not posting yetserday, I went out for a few beers, it was just too cold and still is today for a run.

Ksizzelpool. Thats a fair comment, abut wanting to get a good time in on yoour first marathon, I agree its very hard to just want to think about the finishing line on its own. And welcome to the thread. Keep us informed on how the training is goiing.

Russellely, good ideain managing not to telling a few people, it will be a shock to  them,  when you finally and hopefully beat ones friend time.

I managed to get 15 miles in Saturday, very slow time though in 5 hours. It was more mental than physical strain though, it was raaining and dammed cold like it is today, been a long time since I felt that cold.

How is  everyone in trying to keep going in this cold weather?

Perezoso. I will try and get thosee words in my brain slow and steady lol.

Redjeep. Hope you enjoy living in Ireland,and nothing wrong with wanting to do a marathon close to where you live now, or in birthplace. I was born in Manchester (Burnage), I'm doing the Manchester Marathon, and I hope the ankle doesn't give way on your training schedule.

Paul Clarke 46 I'm sure you will stick to your training. Chester, sounds like a nice place to do a Marathon.

I'm glad to see so many people using this thread, hope your all okay with this cold weather?

•                          

There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

Sir Ranulph Fiennes

True. True.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Fair comment Perezoso. Just my own opinion on weather. But yes having the right clothing does help somewhat. I think this one is down to indviduals own opinions on when and when not to train.

I hope I have not offended?

• Of course not. I was making fun.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have such a lot to learn aboout iinternet humour lolimage

• I must admit i have a fair amount of running and cycling clothes,I get out in all weathers and you soon get warm when its cold, i do anyway lol image.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

None of the gear fits me yet lol, even the extra large sizes seem to be a bit tight on me.

PAul Clarke 46 do you wear head gear? whats the thought on head gear for running?

I will be buying something for my head at some point.

• I did 5 miles in snow this morning - it caused no problem, but had a few near disasters with ice patches! Should probably treadmill on days like that, but I really hate it. Good job on getting your 15 miles in sinbad, it's definitely a mental battle at times.

After a _terrible_ hangover on Saturday, I'm off beer until marathon day. Hopefully will help training image
  • sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Russellely, its why I don't like running in icy conditions, I don't mind cold, even rain, or some extent wind. But ice can ruin all yur hard work.

I'm trying to do what you are  and stay off the beer till the marathon, its hard work changing lifestyles.

Cheers about my distance.

I will try and do the same, and try stay off the beer till race day.

• Sinbad113, I usually wear a beanie hat for wintry days, it keeps my head and ears warm,
  • sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Sounds good to me.

• Hi All

I got out on sunday and managed 6.5 miles so quite happy with this, just an easy run and building time on my legs at the minute. 

I run in all weathers and love nothing more than running in the rain, warm from the run with a grin on my face and laughing at all the funny looks I get. I just have to make sure im not to wrapped up to start with. 

Hope everyone is being a bit more cautious with the ice and slippy conditions.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Ksizzlepod. Glad you enjpy the rain.

Somettimes I do enjoy the rain,sometimes Idon't, I guess it depends on what  sortof mood I'm in.

Yes ice is  every runners nightmare I think.

• I agree that running in the rain (/snow/hail!) and getting looks like you're mad is one of life's great pleasures image

I've been feeling some pain in the bottom half of my left leg during the last two or three runs - been icing and hoping it'll go away, but after running this morning it's really tender to touch image With 6 weeks to go it's really hard to judge how much to tolerate a bit of pain and how much to rest. Any thoughts? Ran 8 miles today, plan is 5 tomorrow and 16 on Sunday.

•   Mornin' all,

The sun's still shining, but it's turned cold here today and I'm trying to psyche myself up for a swift 12km trot. I'm going to try and up my pace a bit as well. Let's see, let's see.

•   Well, here I am a happy little perezoso! I've just set a PB by running 12kms (a whisker under 7.5 miles) in 01:11:33. It was challenging but surprisingly less so than I expected. For the first three kilometres I was convinced there was no way I could keep it up for another nine. Much to my delight I could. I guess it's true what they say, if you want to run faster, you have to run faster!

• russellelly wrote (see)

I've been feeling some pain in the bottom half of my left leg during the last two or three runs - been icing and hoping it'll go away, but after running this morning it's really tender to touch image With 6 weeks to go it's really hard to judge how much to tolerate a bit of pain and how much to rest. Any thoughts? Ran 8 miles today, plan is 5 tomorrow and 16 on Sunday.

Sorry, there's me prattling away and you were asking for help. Is the pain in the front or the back of the leg, the shin or the calf? My advice would be go straight to a decent physiotherapist. I had all kinds of problems at the back end of last year when I first started running. I found myself a physio and he helped to speed my recovery. Since then I pop along for a sports massage every two or three weeks and (so far!) it's kept me injury free. He also taught me the stretching routine that I use after each run. All in all a bit of professional intervention goes a long way. Good luck, russellelly!

• Perezoso wrote (see)
    russellelly wrote (see)

Sorry, there's me prattling away and you were asking for help. Is the pain in the front or the back of the leg, the shin or the calf? My advice would be go straight to a decent physiotherapist. I had all kinds of problems at the back end of last year when I first started running. I found myself a physio and he helped to speed my recovery. Since then I pop along for a sports massage every two or three weeks and (so far!) it's kept me injury free. He also taught me the stretching routine that I use after each run. All in all a bit of professional intervention goes a long way. Good luck, russellelly!

Well done on your PB! I think we can all be capable of going faster, some days you're mentally in the right place to just go for it.

My pain is on the inside of my leg (neither front nor back), and feels like it's between my calf and shin. As much as I don't want to go to a physio (mostly because they'll probably want me to reduce my running, and with 6 weeks to go I really don't want to!), you're right and it's the best idea. Will try to get booked in next week. Ice and cross-training today I reckon :/

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Russelley, sorry to hear about yoour injury. All I can think is  to listen to your mind and body, and run accordingly.

I'm doing the Manchester Marathon, and have not trained this week, thats now put me a week behind, but want to tryand reach the 20 mile mark by the second week in March before tapering back.

Perezoso, Great news over your PB.

Good advice there about seeing a physio.

Hope your injury is better Perezoso?

•   Try not to slip too far behind, sinbad - consistency is the key! Seriously though, I understand that sometimes it's difficult to get out the front door, but you've still got time to get the miles in image.  As for my injury, what injury?

russellelly wrote (see)
    My pain is on the inside of my leg (neither front nor back), and feels like it's between my calf and shin.

I've also had pain in the area you describe. I've no idea if it's the same as yours, but I got rid of it in much the same way you're doing, with the addition of the physio's massage and hot and cold showers on the legs after a run.

russellelly wrote (see)
    As much as I don't want to go to a physio (mostly because they'll probably want me to reduce my running, and with 6 weeks to go I really don't want to!), you're right and it's the best idea.

This is not necessarily true (the part about them telling you to run less). I had a painful case of Morton's metatarsalgia about a month ago - just before I ran my first half-marathon. I took myself to the physio, told him straight that I was running a half-marathon that weekend come hell or high-water, and asked him nicely to fix me, which he did.  A bit of therapy, some exercises to strengthen the area, and a compression pad for my shoe and I was back on the road to marathon glory(!). A good sports physiotherapist will understand how much you have invested in your training and will do everything possible within the bounds of professional conduct to get you back on your feet.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've basically been in constant pain since I started training for the April marathon back in December. Sofa to 26 miles is proving to be a hell of a challenge, and I for one am happy to get all the help I can, wherever I can - yay for physiotherapists, I say.

Happy trails, all!

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Perezoso. Thanks for that I'm hoping to drag myself back on the road Sturday. Just doing 15 minutes time, I'm trying toconcentrate on distance. It still leaves me with3 weeks oe so, toreach that 20 mile mark.

Hope allokay?

• Perezoso wrote (see)

russellelly wrote (see)
    My pain is on the inside of my leg (neither front nor back), and feels like it's between my calf and shin.

I've also had pain in the area you describe. I've no idea if it's the same as yours, but I got rid of it in much the same way you're doing, with the addition of the physio's massage and hot and cold showers on the legs after a run.

russellelly wrote (see)
    As much as I don't want to go to a physio (mostly because they'll probably want me to reduce my running, and with 6 weeks to go I really don't want to!), you're right and it's the best idea.

This is not necessarily true (the part about them telling you to run less). I had a painful case of Morton's metatarsalgia about a month ago - just before I ran my first half-marathon. I took myself to the physio, told him straight that I was running a half-marathon that weekend come hell or high-water, and asked him nicely to fix me, which he did.  A bit of therapy, some exercises to strengthen the area, and a compression pad for my shoe and I was back on the road to marathon glory(!). A good sports physiotherapist will understand how much you have invested in your training and will do everything possible within the bounds of professional conduct to get you back on your feet.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've basically been in constant pain since I started training for the April marathon back in December. Sofa to 26 miles is proving to be a hell of a challenge, and I for one am happy to get all the help I can, wherever I can - yay for physiotherapists, I say.

Happy trails, all!

Thanks a lot for your input Perezoso, really interesting and constructive image

I hope I can find a physio as understanding and proactive. My last experience was before Paris half, and his advice was to stop running - but I think I'll go in with a different perspective this time (positive attitude, I will heal and I will run!). Only one first marathon, rest of my life to heal!

I'll try hot and cold showers, and some reduced easy milage this weekend (skipped today's run).

sinbad, what do you mean by 15 minutes time? You mean 15 minutes / mile?

Good luck for your Long Slow Runs this weekend - only a few more to go! Keep visualising that finish line...

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Russelley, yes i mean 15 minute for one mile. Hope that makes it a little clearer?

Hope it goes wellwith physio.

I also agree with you, about the marathon is a hell of a challenge.

Its just you finding it tough going.

Its a great positive attitude you have.

• Looks like I'm luckier than most folk as my 1st Marathon isn't until the end of September. That said am still recovering from the flu so already a week behind with my base training.

I did manage 3 miles today and hoping for an 8 miler tomorrow if all goes well.

• I've not been out much this week , been feeling ill but not too bad now. I'm gonna go out at 6.30 in morning and get a 13 miler in, I'll just take it easy.
  • Hi all

I'm running my first marathon on 1st June, http://kentroadrunner.com/ I've recounted my story a few times on here before but I'll drop in a shortened version here. Played football after leaving school until 30, then took up refereeing between 31 and 41, normally reffed 2 games a weekend so was fairly fit. Swapped refereeing for running between 41 and 42 and ran the Windsor Half in 2002, 2.25 odd, then my knees became too painful for me to do any exercise. I was diagnosed with arthiritis in both knees and became a couch potato for 8 years.

Cue April 2011, aged 50, had a notification through my works benefit window of cheap gym membership. I thought I'm 50 years old and at least 4 stones overweight maybe I should give it a go. Anyway I joined the scheme and paid my first visit to the gym in May 2011, I started by walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes in my lunchtime. Slowly but surely the ratio of walking to running changed and after about 6 weeks I was running, slowly, for the whole 30 minutes. 

I then decided that I could venture outside for a run now and again, at first my long runs were no more than 2 miles. Again slowly but surely I increased the distance, whilst keeping up my treadmill running during the week. I made some changes to my diet and i found that my weight was dropping quite dramatically.

I took the plunge and entered my first race since 2002 when I entered last years Sevenoaks 10k, I managed to get round in 1.03 despite pulling my hamstraing after about 6km. After that I set myself longer and longer LSRs and entered the North Downs 30k, I did finish that but did a lot of walking. I had considered a marathon before deciding on the NDR. After the NDR I didn't enter any other races but just continued running four times a week and a LSR on Sunday.

In a drunken moment earlier in the year I decided to run a marathon and picked the one above due to it's location. In the last 21 months my weight has dropped 3 1/2 stones and my running has gone from strength to strength. I'm now 13 1/2 stones and running my first marathon, something I'd never have considered in my younger years!

(Blimey, that was quite a long shortened version)

• sinbad - yep, makes sense.

PC46 - a half marathon at that time? Rather you than me image it's amazing how 13 miles goes from something you aspire to, to something you run fairly casually!

Andi - getting the base fitness in now makes so much sense, good on you. Your legs will thank you when the plan kicks in.

Gary - fantastic stuff. There can't be a sport more filled with inspirational people than this one. Best of luck, keep us updated.
  • sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

When did all these posts happen lol? I  took a night a night off.

Andi McGill very sensible for taking that timeoof year for your 1st marathon, hopefully we will have a decent summer for your training.

wow Paul Clarke 46 thats dedication.

Gary Fatbloke that is some history, well done for sticking toyour goals.

I've not trained at all this week, and today I probable won't train either tillat least Monday now. As I haave some unfinished business todo in town. To be I'm getting concerned at missing schedules. Ar well, if I have to walk round the Manchester Maraton then thats what I have to do.

Enjoy your wekkend people.

• russellelly hope the leg is feeling better after some cross training, icing and fingers crossed you managed to see a physio. Iv had a similar pain to you before and just had to have 2-3 days of cross training and a bit of icing and it was fine. so fingers crossed your the same. 

Perezoso hope your mortons neuroma has been dealt with properly, sometimes a podiatrist is better at foot problems than a physio, but I may be biased haha. 

Hi Gary, good luck with your training, how has it been so far? well done you for dropping all that weight in recent years image

Happy running this weekend everyone

• russellelly wrote (see)
    Gary - fantastic stuff. There can't be a sport more filled with inspirational people than this one. Best of luck, keep us updated.

+1

Good luck to everyone on their LSRs this weekend. It's raining here and I'm about to drag myself outside for a very slow 5km jog in preparation for tomorrow's 28km LSR.

Ksizzlepod wrote (see)
    Perezoso hope your mortons neuroma has been dealt with properly, sometimes a podiatrist is better at foot problems than a physio, but I may be biased haha.

You may be biased, Ksizzlepod, but you're probably right (why are you biased, are you a podiatrist?). The problem is being managed rather than being dealt with. When running I often feel the onset of a burning pain between my second and third toes. When this happens I make fists with my toes for 50 metres or so and this serves as an on-the-go massage which reduces the pain. I also ice and stretch and use a compression pad in my shoe.