Anyone add carb gels to there water bottle and mix it for long runs.

I have a water belt with 2 bottles, I am training for the London marathon and use energy gels, im thinking of maybe adding a shotz energy gel to each bottle and mixing it, just wondered if anyone else has done this and found it helps with long runs?

Thanks

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Not really, might as well just take a ready made sports drink.

Sometimes I will run with gels and water separate so I can practice taking them just like I would in a race.
  • You can do. I do something similar for ironman bike legs.

If you know you can handle gels on long runs - I don't bother with them now apart from races. Today's 22 miler was on a bag of foamy bananas. 3 for ??1. So I reckon about 30p cost for the run. ( I had some left over)
  • You can get carb mix powder. Much cheaper than gels if you want to prepare an energy drink to take with you.
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

You can make your own energy drink for pennies not pounds.
    In answer to your question, no, I don't use energy gels so have never tried mixing them with water.
    I guess there is no harm in experimenting if this is what you want to do. Just question your dosing - how much and when, if you diluted the gel how much would you actually be getting during your run?

Why are you thinking of doing this, do you find the gels difficult to take or just saving having to carry the gels on your run?

• Water + lemon juice +honey + pinch of salt.

Yummalicious. Cheap as chips.

• Lou Diamonds wrote (see)
    You can get carb mix powder. Much cheaper than gels if you want to prepare an energy drink to take with you.

How does that vary from powdered sugar?

• RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭
    If you want to mix from scratch then you can get maltodextrin and fructose cheaply enough at places like MyProtein. I don't know the full details, but they're more complex carbs than regular sugar and provide energy for longer. They also don't taste as sweet and I don't think that they're as 'bad' for you as normal sugar.

Alternatively you can buy sachets of ready mixed malto/ fructo and flavouring. Companies like Hi5 make them, but they're much dearer than home brew.
  • Thats good to know Red, one of my other hobbies besides running is homebrewing, I've always got maltodextrin and glucose lying about. I'll look into how to mix them up.