Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

that could be an angle Dean.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, maybe we should become 'parkruns for hire'.

For a fee we'll borrow a bar code off a runner whose ego out strips their ability, and field them a time that they can dine out on.

That way we can have a brisk run without staining our records.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

image  i might need you to run one for me though image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Must be joking SG, you'rd win (Sorry, field the fastest time as of course its not a race) Black Park almost every time with your current form.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Not sure about Black Park, but probably true for 90% of weeks at Wycombe as it stands. Usually won in mid to high 18s or even 19s.

Not a fast course though by the sound of it.

Which makes the 16.35 record sound impressive.

It's by "unknown athlete" which is quite funny. Some random just cruising in off the streets smashing it then disappearing!

• Ric, like your discipline... I normally set off with every intention of doing a HR run, see a faster than expected pace, then try and speed up... Hence the reason I finish most sessions wacked....

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Which makes the 16.35 record sound impressive.

It's by "unknown athlete" which is quite funny. Some random just cruising in off the streets smashing it then disappearing!

So this is a picture of the unknown athlete 16:35. See SG, no names this time. He has what looks to be a BMC top on.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8283/7728777654_c3aecbe7d7_o.jpg

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I think that pic shows that it's a course that relies on good weather and council upkeep of the park!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bluenose, we've all done it.

In my experience I've found that there's a level of effort on a fast continuous run beyond which the damage incurred is so great that the training benefits become negligible if any at all.

The problem is, its easier mentally (and very satisfying) to go full out. Instead of at a pace that seems so easy as to appear to have no worthwhile benefit.

One reason why I stopped training with others. On a steady run I had to make a decision too often about whether to switch to race mode and match them, or let them go and save it for the next race.

The irony of optimal training is that you have to get used to the feeling that you've not done all you could have. 

Because optimal training means leaving something in reserve and not 'maxing' out.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

completely agree with that Ric.

it's why i don't ever worry about not training with faster runners, despite others saying it's important.

Why is it? All my runs are done to specific paces based on my current level, so matching someone faster takes me out of those levels...

You have races to try and match faster runners!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, we all have a level that is optimal at any one moment. That level is different for everyone unless they are of course your clones.

Training briefly with a few guys from my first club, a pattern would go something like: Sunday-Race, Half Marathon say, Monday-Recovery run turning into a burn up, Tuesday-Official burn up, Wednesday- Track. Thursday-another burn up. friday rest (so I heard) Saturday (no idea, I'd had enough)

None run anymore by the way.

🙂

• Ha ha, I wonder why Ric!

Think I'm having a go at a parkrun tomorrow, ours is based in an undulating forest with muddy trails. Should be good but I can't get my printer working so I'm having a mini panic!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Blink and you'll miss it on here! Way too much to catch up on.

I do hope you're on the mend though Bus. Thankfully my problem seems to have passed. Felt a bit of discomfort for a minute or so on my runs earlier in the week but nothing since. Fingers crossed that's the last of it.

Managed some sort of tempo/sustained effort/ cobbled together run while away this week but found it bloody hard work as my watch packed up. Probably not such a bad thing. Also thinking of doing the local parkrun tomorrow SS. Im thinking of entering a 15 mile fell race on Sunday (bit of prep for 3 peaks) but don't want to turn up at the parkrun and not give it my all.

With 4 wins out of 5 runs and course record holder that surely means I'm a scalp.image

Good luck on your parkrun phil and to anybody else racing this weekend.
  • Weather is really bad for a parkrun down here but with the final team selection for the 12 stage this weekend I don't think anyone will be posting a fast time anywhere.

ricF, is your 6 stage the vets version of our 12 stage?

Looking at the entry list it has potential for a mini thread/RW forum meet up:

http://mcs.open.ac.uk/mkac/13relayentries.htm

I reckon DT2 could be there, and a number from other threads.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Sorry Phil, another senior moment for me there, I meant the 12 stage at MK.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Steve see, I've just been watching the video of the Trafford 10k and you've made the big screen.

It's on eightlane.org and you're on it at 10.53 into the video.
  • Ha ha, nice on Matt. On evidence provided, I'll not be wearing the arm warmers again. I got hammered for wearing them, and now I can see why! Even got a quick post finish line head between the knees shot! I've looked worse after a race!

Off to parkrun now, after a night spent trying to get my printer working, then missing my alarm and by a minor miracle waking up at 7:10! Good luck to Phil on his outing.

• Stevie see wrote (see)

Good luck to Phil on his outing.

Thanks. I was up at 7 and it was howlign a gale: seems to be calming down a bit.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Haha. I ran the ribble valley 10k in some skins tights (above knee ones) and received a couple of snide comments from two blokes behind me.

I've watched the ribble valley video and the Trafford one and I was surprised by some of the running actions of the say sub 33 min runners. I always had the image of some flowing strides but some of them seem to be hammering themselves into the ground.

Seeing myself on there was an eye opener too. :-/ more garish than geurrouj.
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Good luck park runners... After a nice easy run this morning in wet and very gusty conditions, I wouldn't fancy any courses with off road sections. Wind stopped me in my tracks a few times too.

Personally don't care about quips - arm earners are coming out tomorrow for me if weather conditions in Reading persist!
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I decided against it. Parts of my local parkrun are on grass and didn't fancy thrashing a 5k then running a 15 mile fell race tomorrow.

Ill enjoy an easy plod later on though.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i wouldnt worry about those arm guards stevie....i wear calf guards on every run i have done bar races for the last 18m.   im sure i look a tit but they serve a purpose for me.

moved my 10m slow run forward from sunday but i ran to feel was aiming for 7mm and despite it being hilly i ave 6.40 pace.  Rest tommorrow.

the girls in my house are all off to 1D concert today so just me and my 6yr old boy.  I asked him what did he want to do today, he said skylanders on the Wii, watch utd later on and a pizza.  I have nothing left to teach him!image

• dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

i wouldnt worry about those arm guards stevie....i wear calf guards on every run i have done bar races for the last 18m.   im sure i look a tit but they serve a purpose for me.

Are you a closet triathlete Dean (say he who is sat wearing one calf-guard at the moment..)? I normally run in long compression socks rather than guards for running and duathlon; anything to stay warm. I save the guards for when I run sockless - triathlon etc.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

arm wearers, calf guards, tights? Aren't you lot meant to be hard northerners?

Sort it out.

I remember getting stick at the suggestion I might not wear a vest for a race once, and yet you lot are wearing all that noncery image

Some deep heat keep you warm, so no need for any of that stuff. Just don't get it on your NADs.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Mine were just like cycling shorts. Not for the cold as I was in a vest. My hamstring felt a little tight so thought they might make a difference.

I ran a PB so they can take some credit. Not too much though.image
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

im from devon stevie - unless you were born in france you are all northern monkeys to meimage

iron - if you ever saw me swim it would answer any questions about me becoming a triathleteimage

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Now cycling shorts, those are good. Keep all the bits in place, as well as providing some muscular support. Or at least pyschologically feeling like they do image

Devon...every day's a schoolday!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Ha ha! So easy to earn SG's ire with your choice of clothing. Personally, I'm looking forward to summer so he can have a go at me for running in shades...
  • dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

the girls in my house are all off to 1D concert today so just me and my 6yr old boy.  I asked him what did he want to do today, he said skylanders on the Wii, watch utd later on and a pizza.  I have nothing left to teach him!image

I think me and your youngster would get on! image

Parkrun this morning, came 2nd in 18:08. Decent run, was aiming for under 18 but the 4th K was 10 seconds slower as my legs started to go a bit. Was 3rd for most the race but a young lad turned up gunned it for 3.5K then blew up and didn't finish. Club mate won, so we are 3 for 3 so far! Really nice route, few inclines, typical forest trail really.

Me and 1st then went and did some hill reps up Old Pale hill. Bursts of 10 to 25 seconds, 3 sets worth but I don't remember the details, he just told me when to stop and go!

• parkrun was under water in places and an over enthusiastic start messed up the later bits so nothing to report other than a handful of miles bagged and 6 weeks comeback complete with an average of 47 miles per week so laying down some sort of base.

Marlow 5 on May 12th is the next target after the 12 stages next weekend (assuming I make the team and that is not a given) so another spell of 6 weeks like this will see me good.