Saturday 16th March 2013

Morning.

Lyrics - I've gone through life white-knuckled

Blisters - if your weather is anything like ours it will be a turbo or wait and ride tomorrow.

Hope you have a good long run Wabo.

Good to hear from you Stickless.

Anyone racing this weekend?

A mostly cough free night - yay - back is still a little too sore to get an accurate peak flow but is getting better. I'm feeling more confident about running tomorrow but not sure what, if anything, to do today to make that more likely.

What:                 not sure, could be another zero
Why:                  recovery more important at the moment
Last hard:           being sensible
Last rest:            15/3

Yesterdays' lyrics were One Step Up by Bruce Springsteen

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning LMH Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better today, fingers crossed for tomorrow.

What: probably nothing, maybe a very short plod to losen up the legs
    Why: going to do the testlauf tomorrow for Kassel half marathon.  Though it's not a race, you run with a group at a certain pace and I want to be rested and fresh enough to run with the 2 hour group (ideal hm time in my next race in 2 weeks is under 1:53 but not sure if I'll get there).

Leg feeling very stiff overnight, hope it's ok for tomorrow.

Another beautiful but chilly though the weather forecast says snow all day...

HAve a good one all.

• Morning gang

Cheers for yesterday LMH.

I finish on Tuesday at 4.30 yet still really busy. I was in early 'as a favour' yesterday.

Nice cool windless morning up here.

Stretched my legs. Not bad at all.

Wabo: happy Birthday, enjoy it (tomorrow ?)image

• What: sea swim then maybe kayak with Elspeth

Why: it's Saturday and giving foot a rest

Last hard: Thursday (1st run after LK)

Last rest: Wednesday

Lyrics: no

LM.H hope all goes well tomorrow

you too Emzap

No wind here either BM but due to return in anger on Monday
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Grey, cold and damp here.

Lyrics: no

What: may have a very gentle and very short run to test the calf
    Why: it seems time I did.

Enjoy the weekend!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Hi All

Birk: Personally I wouldn't be doing favours at this stage but good on you.

LMH: Looking more hopeful.

Stickless: thats a lot of stairs

Yesterday was race three in the Oly Tri championship, 2-29-45 for 44th overall, not one of my best days but have been hammering it lately so now great surprise

What: 19.3 miles trotted in 2-39
    why: All my mates are Comrades training though I did decline the extra 10K before the 0600 start
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: 01st March

Lyrics: Nope

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

hi all,

Well raced yesterday DD, your training at the moment is awesome, 2.39 for 19+ miles is decent pace for training!
    RFJ - glad you enjoyed Hazel O'Connor, didn't realise she was still performing (outside the 80s reunion things).
    Stickless rather you than me with stairs, as Ale says very Escher-esque. I've entered Giants Head Marathon (Cerne Abbas). Supposedly slightly hillier than South Downs. I'm only in it for beer and hog roast afterwards!

What - benn back and forth with girls so far (swimming, hockey) was hoping to do half hour easy, probably this afternoon now.
    Why - stretch legs, Fleet halfM tomorrow.
    last rest - yesterday
    last hard - Tuesday

lyric - not sure

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

10 miles today including 4 x 5:30 mins fast with 3 mins recovery.  Had a good 4 mile warm down after the reps were finished.  Had another chat with the doc who okayed my training to continue...seems they were just being cautious and there is nothing obvious wrong, so it's all good. image  Quite heavy snow throughout but only sticking to me, not the roads.

Lyrics - not today.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

A very wet Southampton Parkrun this morning, happy with 19:11 and got progressivly faster (6:13, 6:10, 6:07 and .40 for the last bit)

Plus 5.5m (4 miles warm up and 1.5 cool down)

Now off to the steam room and sauna to chill

Take care

• Good news donaldo.

Nice racing and training DD.

Don't go overdoing it Alehouse.

Hope you get your run in Dustin.

I managed an easy mile in the pool in the end. Could feel the muscle in my back on the pull but it didn't get any worse and if anything feels a little easier now so that's good.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

cant type much hands are dead after my 20 mile run! I cannot warm them, cant face the shower yet anyway

nice prk run rfj, I look forward to doing one

nice one donaldo

good luck tomorrow dustin

dd nice running!

lmh glad to hear your back is easier

what: 20 miles  ahead of schedul which said 3.30 hours - I did 3.23

why: because now i can start celebrating my birthday which is tomorrow st patricks yay!

last hard: that was

last easy: yesterday

thnks Birkmyre! Tomorrow indeed, but Iam starting right now, 

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Afternoon!

Wabo: well done...make sure you pace yourself just as well over the next 24 hours or so!

Don: sounds like good news, as well as good running.

DD: sounds far too tough!

RFJ: well done...progressively quicker is good discipline.

Anyway, having not run for exactly 2 weeks a walked for 15 minutes or so, stretched, did a little jogging, and then toed the line for the University past v present 6 mile cross country (although I intended to only do one lap of the three). 18 and a half minutes later I stopped, having completed what I intended. It was a struggle! No particular leg problems (don't speak too soon!) but my breathing was terrible. Tomorrow will be a walk day! I am sooo unfit!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Take it asy Alehouse - it will come.

Well done Wabo - enjoy the birthday celebrations.

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Yay Wabo on the 20 miles - and happy birthday tomorrow.

DD - Eye watering training!

Donaldo - sounds good, and good news.

RFJ - well done on the park run.  Soggy doesn't help either.

Alehouse - it will come back - promise.  I've got to admit, when I spell out what I have achieved, it seems pretty depressing, but when I compare it with a month ago - I'm grinning. Well, most of the time.

Birkmyre - fingers corssed that the door that will open has more attractions than the one that is closing.

Oh - where are you or what are you - sea swim???  I shiver just to think of it.

Re stairs: oddly, escher's work is closely related to what I am working on now too, so perhaps the stair view is partly because I just can't get it quite out of my head.

emzap - hope testlauf goes well.

Me? 10.5 along the busway, and then getting lost in the villages.  Do take note of the double digits folks.  Haven't seen many from this corner, and I'm quite vain about them.  Actually, it was a bit of a cheat; the wind was strong and from the south, so I had a helping hand at my back almost the whole way.  Not the last mile and a half; that was into the teeth of wind driven rain.

It was, and was meant to be a confidence booster. Again, best running miles were between 4 and 8.  Same drill as before, but this time I took along a marmite sarnie to eat along with the madopar.  I think I did better with it, but after stopping had the same issue of nausea.  Had to sit around cold for some time as I met friends in the villages who offered me a lift home. (I had packed dry shirt and woolly, so not disastrously cold).  Felt fine after stopping, but quite tired when I got home.  It'll do for now, still three and a bit months out from the SLMM.

• tinebeesttinebeest ✭✭✭

Wabo: happy birthday! and neat 20M in the freezer.

Emzap: I have interesting conversations with the Dutch hairdresser. We supposedly speak the same language...

Stickless: in my memory the Oriental Fac stairs at the back are quite different. Will check them out next time I'm in Cambridge. Well done on the double digits- getting back in there is every time a moment of achievement for me, too. Confidence booster, indeed, despite nausea issues.

DD: well raced on Friday, and good run the next day.

Glad to hear it's nothing to worry about so far, Donaldo. Keep it that way!

Alehouse: only unfit compared to where you were. You're doing a stellar job compared to most of the population. I keep telling myself that when I see you all running at twice my speed!

What: 12.6M, in my usual 9-1 run-walk

Why: forgot where the 6M turnaround point is

Last hard: that was

Last rest: Thursday, Saturday from running.

I also did stairs on Friday, with the pack: 2kg rice and 3L water, to get me started on "weight training". I did not have time to run there and back, just went out on the bike. My stairs can be found here: here , they should be a total height of 17.5 meter.