P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Hilly 10 mile for me, average pace 7:14 and finishing around 6:40.  Went out on tired legs and a week of getting up early for work, but felt sharp and strong.  Wilmslow Half next week.  Hope everyone who has niggles get sorted asap, anyone racing havea good one, feet up for me tonight, 6 recovery tomorrow.

• Mark glad to hear you're off the bench.
  • Did the interval session tonight as well as the five mile recovery this morning.  Runs a bit messed up this week.  Doing the 12 miler toomorrow and the 18mp run on Saturday.

Very wet and windy tonight.

• Speedy recoveries to all those with niggles. Still plenty of time to get fitness back before the big day. Good to see you back (and running long Heow). Great paces on tired legs Craig.

A boring rainy 12 miler in the bag tonight at 7.12 ave pace. A bit tired after a long week in work, but feeling pretty good still (fingers crossed) and like you say NP the pace seems to be picking up at same effort levels as before which is encouraging.

I am taking the marathon so seriously that I even turned down a free ticket to England V Wales tomorrow (and a free bar all day). I just couldnt face the prospect of a hangover for a day or so and feeling rubbish - going and not drinking wouldn't have been an option. I am going to have to recind my Welsh Passport after behaviour like that!

• Nice 20 Heow..well done but think long and hard about racing on it, you don't want to be benched all year !!image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

HeOw, yeah, think it's just stupidly tight. Might postpone some of my harder sessions till it's relaxed a bit though. Well done for your long run but please be careful with the foot!

Chris, I suppose going but only drinking a bit wasn't on the list of options?

• I am a man Lit. A few drinks always turns into a few too many! No self control.

• Great behaviour Chris.  Good 20 HeOw hope the foot improves.

A few niggles amongst us which I suppose is going to happen with the higher mileage and effort being put in, I guess the good thing now is that for the VLMers we are half way through the tough month, get through this bit and the body gets a bit more time to settle down.

Work today, wet and horrible outside, dreaming of sun and 10degC tomorrow.image  Rain and 7 forecastimage

• HeOw, well done on the long run, I think if you can run that far you'll get through a race.

Lit, glad to hear your calf is a bit better, it sounds like you've had the same problem as me. I've been stretching loads and getting as much weight onto it as possible while stretching on the stairs, it hurts but it definitely helps.

Chris, I'm impressed with your discipline! I went out last night and I'm regretting it now!

JF, good luck on Sunday, I hope the forecast is kind to you.

Well done everyone else on the running. It's going to be a big weekend for everyone doing London, the 18 miles with 14@mp is probably going to be the most important session we'll do.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Chris - you might want to consider rethinking your priorities. I would be on the train now if I had that option!! Nice MLR btw- would say that on the MLRs improvements should be seen by HR and effort reducing not pace increasing.

HeOw - an uncomfortable 20 miler is sometimes better than an easy 20 miler. Doms will go and foot will improve. Its a proper twat not being able to hit these hard weeks but keep ticking over and you will come right. I have torn or strained either a muscle or a ligament, but the prognosis is reasonable so rest today and a gentle 12 or 13 tomorrow.

Nice effort Craig.

Mark - thanks for reminding me!!!image It is the one session I am going to have to find space for somehow.

Hope everyone suffering with niggles is improving.

On a none running note, my 13 yr old daughter has just left for a 1D concert in manchester, leather trousers, heelies, hair done and war paint on. Where did my little girl go??  (Gulps hard, sniffle, sniffle)

• 1D make me cry as well Mennimage

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

5m recovery done on the treadie this morning.

Tomorrow I'm running in the organised 18m training run at Milton Keynes.  Dreading the 14m @ MP!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

JF50 - image

Ten - Thats the way to do your 14@MP. I have just recruited a sub 2.47 local runner who is going to pace me through mine next weekend. It has certainly taken some of the trepidation away for me.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all...5 recovery miles this morning. MP run also for me tomorrow.

Chris - agree with Men about priorities...maybe you're thinking England might be winning the grand slam this afternoon?

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Steady on 15W. It would be a brave man to call the 5 oclock kick off as there is nowt between the two sides on recent performance. That said the Welsh side if they can all perform (for once) should win. Some stats for you - The welsh havent conceded a try since the first half of the first game, the english have scored only one try in the last 3 games. Bet that all changes this afternoonimage.  Theres only one stat that counts today and thats the one when the whistle blows. Cymru am Byth!!!!

Watching the Italy game with a peroni in hand. Well, it would be rude not to image

• Its going to be one hell of a game that’s for sure. Unfortunately, the universal truth is that hangovers get exponentially worse as you get older. So not even a free ticket and free bar was enough to put up with a potential 3 day hangover.

Dreading the 18 with 14@MP tomorrow enough without feeling rough. 

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Well done Italy. Any predictions guys?

My prediction is: Unless Wales are right on their game it will be a Grand slam for the whites.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Errr...Wales? Who knows, a real battle though.

• Still can't pick a winner. But that was one hell of a first half of rugby. Intense would be an understatement.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Chris - you should have gone! GO WALES!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Didnt expect that - shows what I know about rugby. Chris - what have you done??image

• I can't believe I am not there. That is all. I might stop crying before London at some point.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Evening all,

two easy recovery runs for me today 4 & 7 miles (replacement for Thursday). Calf still tight but not painfully so, and both times started off tighter and eased up a bit during the run, which seems like an improvement. I even, such is my commitment to this marathon, had a cold bath after the second run. Hate to admit that NP may be onto something as it did seem to help. Brr.

Think I will leave the 14m @MP run till next week, though, to be on the safe side.

• Lit those cold baths must work, think about it, it just icing but a bigger area. May be wise to leave the MP run though I agree,

Ten nice plan there for your MP run..I had originally planned to do mine as part of a 20 mile race tomorrow, Gloucester 20 but couldn't really justify the expense to be honest, it was either a 2.5 hour drive or an overnight stay, and there is nothing local so I will have to attempt it on my own, I have the option of leaving it till Monday if this bloody weather doesn't improve, I am sick to bloody death of battling with headwinds all the fricking time..image it will put the rest of the week out a bit but it wont be the first time image

I wonder if anyone had ever managed to follow the plan from start to finish without rescheduling or suffering illness or injury image

• Lit. Hope it gets better. I have found with tight calves in the Past that it helps me to stop after a mile or so and stretch them out. It seems to help. I usually find a bus shelter that I can hold on to and do calf drops on the pavement. The stretching usually helps the rest of the run. Hope they loosen up soon.

It's ok for you doing the ice bath - at least you can't lose your balls!
  • 12 miles done this evening.  Now up to date fo my 18 mp run tomorrow.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Chris J77 wrote (see)

It's ok for you doing the ice bath - at least you can't lose your balls!

I have to say my... er, intimate area was not keen either. But I did manage to stay in the bath long enough to read about 5 pages of my book! Good tip about the stretching -- I did actually find I needed to stop during Friday's club run, at the risk of being left behind, because it felt like there was just a massive knot in my calf muscle that needed to be massaged out, but nothing like that today luckily.

• Good luck to everyone doing their long run tomorrow. For most of us that's the dreaded 18/14...

Relieved to say my fatigue has improved over the last few days. Didn't skip any runs, just did them slower and I'm feeling almost normal again, so I'm going out with the intention of hitting my MP miles at 3hr marathon pace and will see what happens.

Cold baths...sadly they do seem to work for me too - I wear two hoodies and a hat whilst drinking tea.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Lol at all the cold bath and shrinking body parts, so why is it good for you? The cold water effects your body by closing down the blood supply to your extremities and all the little capillaries that have been full of blood are emptied. Your brain ensures that your vital organs then get the extra supply to keep them working. After the 15 mins in the cold water wearing your hats, reading your books and drinking your tea. You get out the bath and start to warm up as you do the capillaries get a fresh supply of blood and are flushed so helping recovery. You don't have to do this after a run you can do it at anytime image

Checking back over my training logs I made a mistake I thought I had done 6x22 mile runs in a row but in fact it's 7 image I have a half marathon next weekend so I'm cutting my long run back this weekend to between 16/18 miles.

I hope everyone manages to get out and be dry more bloody snow here during the night. For everyone doing VLM only 5 weeks to go now almost there peeps keep up the great training.