RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Bruno - best of luck for the race this weekend. image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

It was wet windy and horrible out there tonight. After a demanding week at work I forced myself out into the weather. If I did not have a race I would not have gone back out. I must be getting tired ......

4 miles progressive tempo run with 1 mile wu and cd. 

9:31; 8:24; 8:05; 7:46; 7:22; 9:45

Spoons you said not to go flat out and those paces were not flat out considering what I would normally do. And yse I have already done a tempo session this week, and had 8 miles MP in and 11 miles MLR last night so I was bound to be a little tired. And yes it felt as if I was runnig much faster than I actually was.

Another run closer to my taper. Got to fit my 22 miles LSR around family stuff tomorrow so its looking like the afternoon to squeeze this into a busy day. At least it will be daylight.

Having a St Patrick's Day party for friuends at ours tomorrow night. Not sure how many are coming but suspect the place will be heaving. I am just turning up .....

• Bruno - good luck for Ruislip!

Big G - my marathon is also 5th of May.... bank holiday the next day to (hopefully) relax, bask in the glory, eat, drink & be merry!

I really haven't thought beyond Limerick on 5th of May .... my local HM is in June so will def do it, another HM at end of July which is on my hitlist and possibly might do Dublin Marathon at end of October. My running bud has also been chatting about Ultras... never say never!

Well I have just had my 5th consecutive session from Monday and have 38 miles banked this week before my final run of the week - 22ml LSR on Sunday. So on for a 60ml week image

My session this evening surprised me and was a bit of a confidence booster - I went out on tired legs after a tough Hill session yesterday evening intending to run 11mls @ 9m/mls. Felt good after first few miles so decided to run the rest at MP - ended up averaging 8.36 pace for the 11mls at avg HR of only 146bpm which is only 3bpm more than my normal LSR HR. This felt like a very comfortable run and I was surprised at the pace produced for what felt like an easy level of effort. My goal MP is 8.35 for a 3:45 marathon. Rest day tomorrow.

Splits:

9.08; 8.48; 8.41; 8.44; 8.32; 8.32; 8.25; 8.37; 8.25; 8.16; 8.29

Carl one more LSR and you are officially on your taper - is that correct?

• Ooopps posting at the same time Carl.... good to get yourself out the door tonight when your heart really wasn't in it.

After my LSR on Paddys Day, I have a double family christening to attend with the obligatory knees up afterwards..... I will be a cheap afternoon out image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Boys - brilliant running again, sounds like you are all strong at the moment which is great as race day approaches.

I've been following Spoons advice and have been stuffing my face with a Chinese and some magners !!! image
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    I'm feeling a bit strange at the moment in as much I have only done 12 miles this week (deliberately, in preperation for Sunday) yet I feel quite tired. When I'm taking the dogs for a walk I don't feel like I'm moving freely and going up & down the stairs my legs are aching. I've been doing a bit of stretching and rollering and the niggle in my leg feels like it is moving between my calf, knee and shin. All very strange at the moment, lets see what tomorrow brings.
  • I don't remember suggesting that..... image

You might feel better going for a really short easy run to loosen things up a bit or even a brisk walk! Many people find a couple of miles the day before a race helps get rid of that sluggish feeling. 

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    I think I will take the walking option purely for the fact that in my previous races I haven't run for the 2 days prior and things have gone well. Mrs USM and I are off to York today (picking up a Victorian sewing table from an eBay purchase) so there will be plenty of being dragged around the shops no doubt. I will also take the dogs for a walk in the woods so hopefully that should help to loosen things up.

Just off to buy some new trotters for Manchester image
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Today is a day for ducks !!!!! Been to football. he scored 2 in a 12-0 victory but it was very cold and wet. Got a few more errands to do and then heading out for my trot in the rain. image

• Good luck for tomorrow Carter!!

• Yep - best of luck tomorrow Carter. No Magners tonight!

• Carter - all the best tomorrow... Run like there's a years supply of Magners for all sub 1.40 finishers! ( if that doesn't motivate you nothing will)
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. It's one of those nights where I really fancy a beer too ! Oh well, I will stick to the soft stuff for tonight after stuffing my face with pasta.

Hope everyone's weekend is going well
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - best of luck for tomorrow.  You will be great.

Another horrible day for running. Wet and windy. Funny when you get to this business end of the training how the runs are so less enjoyable, Maybe that was the weather.

Knocked out a 22 mile LSR at 9:47 pace. 3:35:14 in total.

Ii has been a really busy week workswise and today was the third day in a row running plus I was fitting it in between stuff so today was never going to be my best. But I got round in one piece. Recovery run tomorrow (2-3 miles only) and then a rest day to start my taper.

I do not remember feeling this fatigued going into my taper for the last 2 attempts at the marathon.

• Great run Carl - look at the time on your feet - v similar to your anticipated marathon time so that was a great final LSR.

Feeling fatigued I would imagine is a good sign & means you have pushed yourself & maximized your training benefits. The taper will take care of the fatigue and you will be in the best shape of your life come marathon day.

Off out here in 45 mins for my 22 miler.... what a way to start Paddys day!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Carl - excellent run again, it sounds like your training has gone as well as can be expected.

Ricky - run well this morning and have some of the black stuff for me during your celebrations.

Well, looking out the window the weather looks about as good as it gets at this time of the year. My calf/knee feels ok so hopefully that sluggish feeling has disappeared when I stand on the start line later. I think I will warm up for a few minutes before the race today which is something I don't normally do.

Good luck to those racing today and happy paddys day everyone
  • Carl - great run well done. Did it feel OK?

Ricky - have a good LSR

Carter - Good luck again!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Best of luck to those racing today.

Ricky - have a great LSR.
  • Decent running weather this morn - dry, no wind.

22 mls done in 3:25 @ avg 9.19 pace & avg HR the usual 143bpm!

Tired but feeling like I could have continued quite easily. Last two miles fastest at sub 9 m/mls ... Didn't consciously speed up ... Think I just smelt Oirish's Sunday roast ...
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - great LSR frpm you today. Good to hear that you could have carried on. You are certainly putting the miles in.

Enjoy the rest of St Patrick's Day image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Spoons. wrote (see)

Carl - great run well done. Did it feel OK?

Spoons - how did it feel. that is a great question. I was not running at an optimum time of the day and it being the third consecutive day of running so I was expecting it to be long. I have run much faster so the pace was not particularly difficult to maintain. But unlike Ricky this am, I was pretty tired when I got to the end. I think this is just general tiredness. I think I have also got to that stage where the enjoyment has gone out of it as it has all been about building those miles and grinding them out.

Now we had a bit of a party here last night and it was quite late when we eventually got to bed. That no doubt is as much a contributing factor to feeling a little washed out today.

• Hi all and happy Paddy's day .image

There has been some great running in the last couple of days since I posted last by you all, it has been odd not having any running to do or post about as I was tapering for this mornings Colchester HM.

All in all it went really well, my left calf has decided that this week was the week to tighten and no amount of stretching, rolling or rest could loosen it so I set off with a bit of trepidation this morning, but I warmed up quite intensly and it felt okayish. 

Anyway I stuck myself in the sub 1:40 pen and all I can say is either everyone was wildly optimistic or saving themselves for attacking the big hill because it was fairly slow and not much room for overtaking in the first mile. After that things went well and I was fairly consistent despite getting a stitch like I have never had before around mile 8 that didn't shift until I stopped. 

So breathing was rubbish but my body was pretty good. Chip time was 1:38:15 and as i was aimimg for 1:40 to 1:45 and didn't feel great in warm up I am chuffed as monkeys with that.

Here are the splits

8:03 7:02 7:25 7:19 7:35 7:34 7:20 7;19 7:24 7:19 7:28 7:28 7:30 

Now if you'll excuse me social convention dictates I must now get royally smashed. 

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Oirish - terrific running mate. I'm sure I dont need to say it but have a couple for my while you get smashed !

• Hi all,

Well today I did the Hillingdon 20 mile road race out in Ruislip as prep for the marathon. it was 4 x 5 mile laps. i did a 20 miler 2 weeks ago in 2:46 but blew up and did the last 3 miles in 30 mins that day. I followed the advice here and went off at a slower pace. Dont have 20 miles of splits you will be glad to hear! I did the first 10 miles in 1:24, 15 miles done in 2:07 and then finished with a respectable 2:51. I had hoped to come in at 2:46 again but it was not to be. However my overall pace was more steady and I did not blow up as bad, although the pace did drop slowly, but nowhere near as bad as before and I still had a bit of tank. I was happy enough overall. I have the warsaw half marathon next weekend and after that am a little unsure as to whether another long slow run is needed before the London marathon on 21st of April. I have now done 2 x 20 mile runs in 2 weeks and with the half next weekend I dont really feel like another long one!!

Any thoughts? 

PS well done to Oirish eyes above! With it being st patricks day and me being a dubliner I think I have similar plans for the day!!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Bloody hell. This thread is full of Irish and people from Dorset !!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Ok. Weather conditions were as perfect as they could be at this time of the year. My pre-race routine is well in place and worked well again. Pre-race talk was of a 'hilly' course so this made me think if my target was still achievable. Anyway, I stood towards the frontish of the pack and the claxon went off. The first 3 miles were flat and then there was a 200 yard climb which made the quads burn a bit. At mile 5 there was a climb of just under 1/2 mile and then the first loop had finished. Not sure where the hills went !

I was feeling quite good and controlled for the whole of the first loop and took on water at the drink stations. Not many people were passing me at all. I got to mile 10 still feeling good and then the second time to go up the climb. I had told myself I would happily give up a minute on this climb and just run steadily up it and then go for it the other side. The legs were feeling a bit like jelly at this stage. A chap overtook me at about mile 5 and I spent most of the rest of the race trying to chase him down. I did this with about a mile to go and I had a fairly strong finish despite the tired legs.

Here are the splits: 7:27, 7:15, 7:24, 7:31, 7:48, 7:25, 7:22, 7:27, 7:47, 7:27, 7:50, 7:39, 7:06. Unfortunately, the modern technology of chip timing has not reached as far as Barnsley yet so my unofficial time was 1:37:58. That would represent a new PB by about 8 minutes image

• Oirish - brilliant time well done

Carl - get some rest and sleep

Bruno - much better well done. How many weeks until VLM?

Carter - 8 minute PB? Awesome well done. 

• Bruno - half on the 24th, long run on the 31st, then 2 shorter weekends until VLM

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Trust you are all enjoyng yourself on St Patricks Day. After a party last night we had our parish priest around for dinner today. I am now officially wrecked and as Spoons says sleep and recuperation is on the cards.

Oirish - great running from you today. See any leprachauns along the route image Fantastic time. Enjoy getting smashed.

Bruno - good steady run from you today. Well done. Looking good for VLM and suggest that one long slow run after your HM would be a sensible thing to do. This would still leave you with 3 weeks of a taper before VLM.

Carter - weel done on your new unoffical PB. That is a cracking result on tired legs. No doubt a celebration is on the cards tonight ....

Great racxes from everybody here today. This really ups the ante for the marathon now.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Cheers. Yes I will be celebrating at paddies later and follow Spoons advice about post race food and drink - just to clarify that means kebab and magners image

I'm feeling remarkably good following my run. Yes there is some aching bit overall not bad.

Spoons - can hou clarify, should I still do a speed session this week or count today's race as a tempo run ?