The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

Comments

• Malcs wrote (see)

Ady - good to hear that the niggles are back under control. I hate the mind games at this stage in the training. Thanks for the bowling tip - so basically you just hack the score sheet. I like it. Nice and simple image

So 2 hours off road on Sunday for you. That's still a decent long run. How are you feeling about that? Must equate to what, 14-15 miles?

Love your vision for the end of the Ady story. I hope the RW team incorporate your ideas into the race day video. I envisage lots of 'Matrix' style slow motion shots. Maybe they could get John Woo to direct it?

Spot on there Malcs.....straight and simple score fixing!

What are your plans for the weekend? I'm waiting for a break in the rain and wind to get my 4 miles in to today.......before the rugby shenanigans start later!

I'm hoping to do 15 miles in the 2 hours tomorrow. I'll have a little spying session on today's run to see what the off-road conditions are like after the rain today. If it's that bad, I might ask for Sam's permission to do it on my normal route instead. I hope this won't be too detrimental as last weeks 21 mile run was done almost all on trails in Wimbledon Common and Richmond Park.

As my run is classed as comfortable, and my comfrtable pacing guidelines are around my MP pace, I'm going to try and get some in at MP pace, as one last confidence booster before the taper really starts kicking in form next week!

• RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Goodness, I don't post for a few days and it feels like I have missed out on 10 chapters of a book!

Malcs- scottish! This is where I have to admit I only moved to Scotland aged 11 (from the green isle) but as I competed for Scotland a lifetime ago over cross country I feel I am an accepted  here although my other half is English & I am also Irish when it suits!  

Adrian (proper names when trying to be stern!) keep the focus only a few more weeks to go and eat regularly!

For interest here is restaurant details for Friday 5th April (not etaing until after 9pm although on Saturday eating at 6.30pm):

Al  Caratello (5 rue Audran 75018) only 2-3 minute walk form hotel.

Feel free to have a look at reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d788378-Reviews-Ristorante_Al_Caratello-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

No specific menu organized so will have to choose from menu.

Hey Ruth.........I feel like a puppy being told off for pooping in the living room when you call me Adrian. I know I've annoyed Mrs. Shady Ady when she uses 'Adrian', although it's debateable whether I agree every time with why she's angry! image

I will try and focus now 100% in the last 3 weeks. Three weeks doesn;t seem like a lot to go with not eating certain foods. 

Can you recommend certain foods that I should try eating more than others for these three weeks, and foods I should definitely stay well clear of? This way I can make sure I only stock up on the best foods on the next weekly shop and not be drawn in to temptation by not buying the wrong kinds! For example I've been eating baguette sandwiches more this week than normal. These are small in size, but would a cous-cous or bulgar wheat salad be more adviseable instead? 

For evening meals, are there certain foods I should try and keep in. I know I need to cut down on meat and veg in my carb-loading, but should I watch how much of these I eat now as well?

The restaurant looks good.....great choice. I trust the fondue restaurant choice will be on the Sunday after the race? image

• Ady - enjoyed your reports and ups and downs.....

Re the nerves: I just think through the journey I have been on to get to the start line and with say 600m in the bank in training what's another 26.2m?

Even being generous with the maths, I let myself believe that on the start line I have already accomplished 95% of the task, so why would I not complete it?

I also dis-associate myself from the task and my favourite is to imagine that I simply have to deliver my race number safely to say the 18th mile before finishing the final 10k. This helps me control my pace to that point and it then isn't about me, its about the number!  

Sounds a bit wacko maybe, but it works for me......good luck on the countdown.

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hey Ady, I detect some early nerves kicking in. Phantom niggles, insecurities, finish line fantasiesimage!

As Sarah says, you've put in all the hard work now and it's mostly a case of maintaining fitness and steering clear of illness and injury. Wash your hands a lot - especially after going on public transport - and shamelessly stay away from people with colds and sniffles. 

With the unexpected snowfall (which I missed entirely in Devon/Cornwallimage) may have made your options a bit limited for the off roader on Sunday. Will you find somehhere OK? It shouldn't be knee deep in mud or slippery so use common sense when choosing route! Rather it was on road than on treacherous off road...

As the taper begins, you'll notice that the intensity remains - ie. there are some race pace and faster than race pace sessions each week - but the overall volume of the higher intensity stuff is lower, as is the overall weekly mileage. This is definitely the best way to taper. Even really small amounts of high intensity help maintain fitness while your body recovers and prepares for the big day. 

We have our last group training run on Sunday - they did their peak long run last Sunday too and this weekend is 13-16 with last few miles at MP. Excited for them - lots of first timers!

Have a good weekend all...

Haha....maybe they are kicking in and I just don't realise it. I often visualise finishing a race in the buoild up as it gives me something to focus on. I remember at the Boston Marathon expo, they had a video playing continously of the course route, taken from a car driving along it. I found watching this very useful to not only know where certain hills and landmarks came, but also because by the time it finished 5 minutes later, you think 'it didn't seem that far actually!'

I might struggle to find somewhere tomorrow for the run. Due to afternoon commitments, I don't really have enough time to catch the train to Wimbledon to run in Wimbledon Common and Richmon Park like last week. With the rain we've had some sections of the canal will be very muddy and waterlogged, which would mean slowing down to a walk and playing a game of sprint and jump across some of the bigger puddles!

I hope tomorrow's run goes well. It must be great with so many first timers. I only ever thought I was going to do one marathon, but became hooked. Do you find the same with the first timers that you coach? Do you ever get people who do it once and then say 'never again'?

Is your achilles back to normal now?

• Malcs wrote (see)

Ady - hope your weekend running goes well. I reckon it's going to be pretty wet and miserable and a bit windy too. Hopefully that'll be at your back and not full in your face!

Looking forward to the Six Nations decider tomorrow. A small corner of Llanelli is being constructed in our lounge. Dragons, daffs and a multitude of flags. At least I can watch this one knowing that divorce proceedings are unlikely.

The sun is out and the wind  has stopped, so I'm going to grab the opportunity to try and at least get one of this weekend's run in the dry.

You don't rate England's chances then today? Even my wife is excited about the rugby, which I think for the first time ever there will be no arguements over who controls the TV. 

Are you going to decorate the other end of the living room to match the dragons and daffodils? I'm not sure what you could use - maybe just the feelings of over-optimistics hopes and the expectant feelings of disappointment should do it.......just like my living room is filled with whenever watching England play at football!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Oh, maybe you missed out on one small detail - I'm a Scotland supporter. So no need for any alternate lounge decorations as I'll be on the Welsh sofa image

I certainly do rate England's chances though. I'd say its anyone's game.

Long run done this morning in awful wind and rain. Meant to be 21 miles but took a wrong turn and ended up being 23. Not at all what I wanted. Took it steady on the extra 2 so I'm hoping I won't pay for it. On the plus side, despite being a bit sore on the final 2 miles I didn't struggle with pace.

Best of luck with your 2 hours tomorrow. I hope conditions allow you to do it off road but either way I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine.

Enjoy the game!
  • Day 90 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (16/03/13)

Target: 4 miles steady @ 7:20m/m-7:45m/m

Actual: 4.02 miles in 29:09 @ 7:15m/m

Mile Splits: 1st @ 7:16m/m. 2nd @ 7:10m/m. 3rd @ 7:22m/m. 4th @ 7:13m/m.

I like runs at the weekend that you don't have to plan the whole day around - especially with the impending Six Nations Finale. Maybe I'll enjoy this taper after all!

Last weekend when I had my steady run on the Saturday, I managed to aggravate my quad again, so this time I made sure I actually warmed up beforehand, stretched and I was loose.

I've said this on a lot of posts recently, but I still can't believe the pace I ran at today, I couldn't even manage when running on a track and as fast as I could at the first boot-camp training day before Christmas. Today, it seemed almost comfortable.

I'm still a little worried about pulling my quad again, but then I think this issue is more in my mind than being reality, especially warming up better beforehand. I made sure I started off slowly, easing up the speed and stretching out as the run progressed.

I managed to time today's run to perfection, sandwiching it in between the rain showers. The surrounding fields looked waterlogged. didn't even think we had that much rain!

The only time I found it harder to maintain my speed around the 7:20m/m mark was the third mile, but that was due to an uphill section slowing me down, plus losing time turning around. Other than this, I felt completely within my comfort zone. It's so nice running knowing you have more gears to crank through if necessary.

This was a nice little run out before my 2 hour run tomorrow.

Here's my run from today:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/285000154

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Half time in the game. All very nervy here.

Well done on your run today - mighty impressive splits. If you're finding that comfortable it has to be a great sign. Surely 8mm will feel a breeze!
  • Malcs wrote (see)
    Oh, maybe you missed out on one small detail - I'm a Scotland supporter. So no need for any alternate lounge decorations as I'll be on the Welsh sofa image

I certainly do rate England's chances though. I'd say its anyone's game.

Long run done this morning in awful wind and rain. Meant to be 21 miles but took a wrong turn and ended up being 23. Not at all what I wanted. Took it steady on the extra 2 so I'm hoping I won't pay for it. On the plus side, despite being a bit sore on the final 2 miles I didn't struggle with pace.

Best of luck with your 2 hours tomorrow. I hope conditions allow you to do it off road but either way I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine.

Enjoy the game!

I knew you were Scottish.........I have no reason why I momentarily forgot......maybe the Yorkshire accent through me! 

I think it's the first time I've ever heard that a run has been extended due to awful weather conditions. Fair play.....bucking the trend! What speed were you running at? Only another 3 miles come race day - you won't have an issue at all.

Malcs wrote (see)
    Half time in the game. All very nervy here.

Well done on your run today - mighty impressive splits. If you're finding that comfortable it has to be a great sign. Surely 8mm will feel a breeze!

I think you had the same optimism as me at half time.......and then reality set in and you saw the quality of the Welsh shine through. England were woeful though.....a poor, poor performance. I won't try and pretend I understand every rule of the rugby game, but I have never seen such appaling scrums as England......actually we were second best in every area to be honest. It must be a happy Malcs household tonight!

Definitely well deserved by Wales. No complaints at all. 

• Mike Sheridan wrote (see)

Ady - enjoyed your reports and ups and downs.....

Re the nerves: I just think through the journey I have been on to get to the start line and with say 600m in the bank in training what's another 26.2m?

Even being generous with the maths, I let myself believe that on the start line I have already accomplished 95% of the task, so why would I not complete it?

I also dis-associate myself from the task and my favourite is to imagine that I simply have to deliver my race number safely to say the 18th mile before finishing the final 10k. This helps me control my pace to that point and it then isn't about me, its about the number!  

Sounds a bit wacko maybe, but it works for me......good luck on the countdown.

Hey Mike........thanks for the message..........I actually don't think it sounds wacko at all. It makes perfect sense.  You've put in the miles, you've ran long runs of a similar distance to the marathon, why can't you just imagine the marathon as just another training run ran a little quicker than normal!

I normally think that a marathon is just 20 miles in length and then this is followed by a simple, final 10km. By the time this 10km comes, I'm hopefully ahead of my target by a few minutes and then I have the luxury of thinking. "I can beat my target by running the remaining miles 60 seconds per mile slower than the rest!" The only problem with thinking like this though, is that then you start slowing down and can't get back to the speed you were running at before.

I do think this time around though that if I'm on target for a sub 3:30 at the 20 mile mark, then there's no way I'm going to let myself lose this goal in the last 10km!

Are you running Paris as well?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Yes that was what I was thinking too - just three more miles. Have to say though, legs were quite sore. I suppose by that stage you're always going to be feeling it a bit.

My aim was to do like we did at spitfire but I started quicker - around 8:20 pace. I then upped it at halfway to nearer MP. Average pace for the whole run was 8:20. I didn't really want to go that fast or that long so I really hope I don't pay for it.
  • Hi Ady, looks like your training is still going strong and those little niggles are being kept at bay (if I could do a smiley face on here I would).

I was just looking at the pace of your steady run...like you said its a lot quicker than your steady a few months ago which will make MP seem alot easier.

Cold showers......not sure I would have been able to have managed it...think I would have had to be smelly and sweaty all afternoon!

Hi Malcs, glad to hear that you will be running your marathon on the same day as me and everyone else doing london, it will be quite exciting to see how everyone has done afterwards.
  • Malcs wrote (see)
    Yes that was what I was thinking too - just three more miles. Have to say though, legs were quite sore. I suppose by that stage you're always going to be feeling it a bit.

My aim was to do like we did at spitfire but I started quicker - around 8:20 pace. I then upped it at halfway to nearer MP. Average pace for the whole run was 8:20. I didn't really want to go that fast or that long so I really hope I don't pay for it.

Coming from the view of a fellow runner, I don't think that sounds too fast at all.......it's still basically MP+30 for you. I'm not entirely sure what pace I'll do when going out shortly..........becuase this is a comfrotable run and my comfortable pacing guideline is 7:50-8:40m/m, I know I want to try and run the full 2 hours at 7:50m/m pace. But even I know that htis might not be the most suitable speed to do 15 miles at 3 weeks out before the marathon.

Therefore I'm leaning towards 5@ 8:20 ish, 5@ 8:05 ish and the final 5 sub 8 minute miles, which should give me about 2 hours of running. It looks like it's rained a lot here overnight, so I might just ran on paths instead of off-road, as it'll be worse than it looked yesterday!

How long did you stretch for afterwards? Although I make sure I stretch every evening, I still struggle to stretch properly immediately after a run.

I hope the legs aren't too stiff today!

• sarah osborne wrote (see)
    Hi Ady, looks like your training is still going strong and those little niggles are being kept at bay (if I could do a smiley face on here I would).

I was just looking at the pace of your steady run...like you said its a lot quicker than your steady a few months ago which will make MP seem alot easier.

Cold showers......not sure I would have been able to have managed it...think I would have had to be smelly and sweaty all afternoon!

Hi Malcs, glad to hear that you will be running your marathon on the same day as me and everyone else doing london, it will be quite exciting to see how everyone has done afterwards.

Hey Sarah....best of luck with your 20 miler today. I look forward to seeing your results! I hope the carb-loading wasn't as difficult as mine was........at least I know now what a proper carbo-load is like so I wont struggle as much next time.

I just have 2 hours today at confortable pace........my last long run before Paris. It's a nice feeling actually knowing the hard work is done now. Once the taper starts though, it'll make Paris seem even more real and close!

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Saturday 16th March 2013

8:30am - Breakfast - Fruit and Fibre w/ semi-skimmed milk, cup of tea

10:00am - Pint of squash

11:00am - Cup of tea

12:00am - 4 mile steady run (see earlier for full description)

1:15pm - Lunch - Chickpea and spinach soup with added couscous. Slice of bread, pint of squash

2:30pm - Muller Light Yoghurt, cup of tea

4:00pm - Tangerine, pint of squash

5:00pm - Can of Spitfire - to celebrate the start of England's dismal performance in the Six Nations

7:00pm - Dinner - Beans, 2 slices of toast, 2 eggs, a little cheese, pint of squash

8:30pm - Reece's Peanut Butter Cup, cup of tea.

10:30pm - Glass of water

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, looks like you are all going well. Malcs - that's a cracking run. It was awful weather yesterday. I did 10 before taking eldest daughter to hockey. Have been roped into playing hockey myself today - in goal! First game for a year and its the Kent Cup Semi final!!! Won't even get to play in final since same day as my marathon.

Finally got to watch the training day video. Ady - you are looking very comfortable. I'm backing you for sub 3:30 mate!
  • Hi Ady,

Sorry for not posting, but been keeping up with things especialy on Garmin. I am certain you will go sub 3:30 with ease, especaily as you have got through the training so well, and realtively niggle free.

Love the pics from the Spitfire- sounded like a fun day.

I won't mention the rugby, particularly as I stopped watching Scotland play for Lent (well belatedly after the welsh game 2 weeks ago but my blood pressure couldn't cope with the constant striving to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory)

How do you think you will get on with the taper, as so many people seem to get really twitched about it?

• Hi Ady, I had a good run today, I did the first half at an average pace of 8:24 m/m (alittle bit quicker than planned, but ok) and the second half at 7:27 min/ml (again a little quicker than planned but I felt great all the way round and my legs still do).

I found the carbo loading really difficult, I felt like I didnt stop eating all day and if I hadnt gone to tescos and used alittle bit of energy up I dont know if I could have even ate my tea...its paid of though....or something has, so I will certainly be doing it again pre london. Will you be doing it for two days for paris or just the one?

How did your run go today? did you manage to do it off road with all the rain and snow that we have had?

I hope you had a good one and are ready for the taper image

• Ady - no not Paris.

I am running the Boston Marathon on 15th April which will be my first attempt after getting the qualifying times last year.

Based on your training and racing times, I reckon you should hit your target in Paris if you execute your plan - no kamikase stuff in the 1st half, and you'll be fine.image 

• Hi

Ady, thanks for your advice a while back about setting a Gold, Silver and Bronze target - I really like that idea.  My Gold is definitely to complete London marathon in under 4 hours; Silver is probably 4:15, and Bronze is just to get round.  Can I get the advice of this forum about my next few weeks.

My LSRs over the last few weeks have been:

8 Feb - 18 miles - avg 9:06 m/m

15 Feb - 16 miles - avg 8:39 m/m

22 Feb - 18 miles - avg 8:52 m/m

3 Mar - 20 miles (Spitfire) avg 8:51 m/m

8 Mar - 9.5 miles (pouring with rain) - avg 9:10 m/m (hilly)

15 Mar - 20 miles - avg 9:00 m/m

I can do a LSR this Friday (22nd), then am off skiing for a week.  When I get back, there will be 3 weeks to the marathon, so I won't be doing any more long runs - following the advice on the forum. 

So the question is; should I try to do another 20 miles this Friday, or something different? 

I have been watching your distances and times get longer and faster, and can see that your focused training schedule has really paid dividends.  Best of luck with Paris; I'm sure that you wll hit your target.

Cat

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Shady_Ady wrote (see)
    Malcs wrote (see)

Coming from the view of a fellow runner, I don't think that sounds too fast at all.......it's still basically MP+30 for you. I'm not entirely sure what pace I'll do when going out shortly..........becuase this is a comfrotable run and my comfortable pacing guideline is 7:50-8:40m/m, I know I want to try and run the full 2 hours at 7:50m/m pace. But even I know that htis might not be the most suitable speed to do 15 miles at 3 weeks out before the marathon.

Therefore I'm leaning towards 5@ 8:20 ish, 5@ 8:05 ish and the final 5 sub 8 minute miles, which should give me about 2 hours of running. It looks like it's rained a lot here overnight, so I might just ran on paths instead of off-road, as it'll be worse than it looked yesterday!

How long did you stretch for afterwards? Although I make sure I stretch every evening, I still struggle to stretch properly immediately after a run.

I hope the legs aren't too stiff today!

Sounds like a sensible plan. How did it pan out today? Weather wasn't great again. 

Legs are not too bad but there's often a day's delay before it hits so we'll see tomorrow. Planning a slooow one if all is ok. 

I have been trying to stretch much more in these latter stages of training but mostly I'm pretty crap. I certainly don't stretch every day - only really after runs or if something is troubling me. I made sure to do plenty immediately after running yesterday though.

We didn't do much of a stretch after Spitfire and I really felt it in the afternoon and the following day (I blame the lure of the bacon baps). Don't you find it makes a huge difference if you don't stretch immediately after running?

• Day 91 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (17/03/13)

Target: 2 hours comfortable off-road @ 7:50-8:40m/m

Actual: 15.32miles in 2:01:52 @ 7:57m/m (done on road due to water-logging from rain)

Mile Splits: 1st @ 7:51m/m. 2nd @ 8:02m/m. 3rd @ 8:06m/m. 4th @ 8:00m/m. 5th @ 7:58m/m. 6th @ 8:04m/m. 7th @ 7:56m/m. 8th @ 7:59m/m. 9th @ 7:59m/m. 10th @ 8:00m/m. 11th @ 7:58m/m. 12th @ 7:55m/m. 13th @ 7:54m/m. 14th @ 7:49m/m. 15th @ 7:57m/m. Last 0.32 miles @ 7:33m/m.

There's not a better feeling than waking up in the morning to hear the rain splattering against the window and the wind howling over the roof. That is..........if you can turn over and go back to your slumber. It's not the greatest of sounds though when you know you've overslept and will be heading out in the abysmal weather in just over an hour.

With social engagements (more birthday celebrations!) starting from lunch time, my plan was to get up early leaving plenty of time to spare to eat breakfast, run for 2 hours and then spend probably even more time than this trying to make myself look beautiful for the birthday celebrations.

Unfortunately I failed to set my alarm, leaving only an hour between eating breakfast and heading out on my run. The rain was pelting down. Within the first 100 metres I decided it would be useless attempting to run off-road. The roads were covered in huge puddles and spray and if it was this bad here, then the trails would be waterlogged and extremely muddy. While I could have ran in this, it would have meant a lot of stop-starting to get through the worst parts, so I decided to stick to pavements instead.

I'd been debating what to do today. I've ran most of my LSR's at around 8:30m/m-8:45m/m. As this was my last long run before Paris, I thought it might be better for my confidence to at least do some miles faster than this today at MP.

I wasn't expecting to run at marathon pace from the start, but darting past huge puddles in the road in order not to get drenched by passing cars, meant the first two miles flew by and I was running much quicker than I'd set out to do - right at MP. As it felt comfortable, I decided to carry on at this pace, but not push it in order to stick to it, if the terrain or weather made it more difficult. I also expected to start struggling later on as today I decided to run without using gels.

I was very surprised to find that I didn't struggle at all to keep MP for the full duration of today's run. Considering the weather, lack of gels, and the fact this was my fourth run in as many days I'm shocked. This is much better than I could have asked for and I'm very content now to start my tapering.

Did I feel confident enough to have carried on this pace for another 11 miles? Today I doubt I could have done. I've just done two of my heaviest weeks and by the end of today's run, my legs were starting to tire. I'm sure I could have managed another 5 or 6 at the current speed, but I think it would have started to become harder after that. But that's what I'd expect not taking any gels at all today.

The weather really was abysmal today. But as soon as I was out in the rain, I didn't really notice it and I don't think I can complain as it's the first time I've ran in the rain like this since the first few weeks of training. It's been a good patch of dry weather! Out of all the positives to come out of today, I think my ability to keep at MP pace comfortably for all 15 miles, and being able to speed up or slow down in order to keep to MP over changing, undulating terrain has to be the biggest. But then again, I have thought if this MP run has set me up for an even bigger fall, luring me in to a false sense of security that a sub 3:30 should be in the bag. It definitely isn't and I still think I have to be at the top of my game and hope everything goes right on race day for it to happen still.

Normally my runs offer very little to write about afterwards. I don't see much of interest. I don't pass anyone of interest. I'm more than happy with these runs, but it doesn't make good reading material. Today was different

Approaching Thorpe Park, I passed a wooded area next to the embankment that bordered the main A320. Something bright white caught my eye. I really wished I hadn't looked to see what it was...........it was the bare bum of a pooping man. Everyone gets caught out in their worst moment of need. What made this even more disturbing was his wife was standing there next to him acting as a portable toilet roll holder - toilet paper offered to her defecating husband. Her eyes were fixated on what he was doing. If it was my wife, I'd make sure my back would be to her - you can't un-do seeing that kind of thing!

As I ran past the pooping man's gaze caught mine and for a few seconds there was that awkward moment where our eyes were locked. He looked angry, as though his masculinity had e snatched from him forever more. I snapped away from his gaze, shuddered at what I'd just been exposed too, and carried on running.

On the return leg I noticed a guy in front of me running in what looked like pyjamas. As he got closer, I realised it wasn't pyjamas he was wearing, but a Lonsdale tracksuit. In fact he was dressed head to toe in Lonsdale. I have absolutely nothing against Lonsdale at all and I don't like to categorize people in to stereotypes. But if this guy owned a dog, it would be a Pitbull and he would probably walk it in Summer months wearing nothing but camouflage shorts and a white vest.

I was catching him pretty quickly and it wasn't long before I overtook him, sticking to my MP pace rather than running faster to over take him. A minute or two later and I heard heavy footsteps behind me. He'd picked up his pace. The next thing I noticed he was by my side....right by my side. He was now keeping pace with me and trying to make eye contact. I could see his look out the corner of my eye. I knew he hadn't ran quicker because he'd recognised me from the Runner's World magazine.....or that he wanted to congratulate me on my choice of lycra. I got the impression he was trying to intimidate me for having the cheek to run faster than him. His face certainly made me think this. I could feel his eyes burning through me.

For the next 3 minutes he ran right by my side. I was expecting to be tripped up at any moment and warned never to over take him again. He never spoke and I certainly wasn't going to make conversation with him as I thought that it would only cause confrontation.

When we came to a roundabout I carried straight on and to my relief, he turned around and ran back the way he came. I took one glance back to see where he'd gone, and he was still staring at me from a distance. Very strange indeed. I  might carry out a health and safety assessment before overtaking other runners on the streets again!

So that's it........the last of my long runs over with and the taper ready to start. I don't think I could have asked for a more confidence boosting last long run to be honest. The hard work is done! Now I just have to concentrate on not undoing all this good work over the next 3 weeks by doing something silly!

I'll catch up with everyoe's comments tomorrow as it's getting late and I need to sleep off the birthday cake and Pringles I've shamefully eaten this afternoon (not to mention the wine! Sorry Ruth - back to being a good boy tomorrow image)

Here's my run from today:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/285755454

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ady - great to hear that you nailed the final long run. Nice job! Have to say you had me laughing with your run in with Mr Lonsdale. I can almost smell the fear from here image

Last week, running through the park in Ladywell,  I had a similar encounter with a rastafarian gentleman. He was on a bike and like you I overtook him only to find him coming right back at me. He was muttering all sorts of weird things as he passed. Luckily he didn't loiter! He was drinking lucozade though so maybe he was in training?

DS2 wrote (see)
    Hey guys, looks like you are all going well. Malcs - that's a cracking run. It was awful weather yesterday. I did 10 before taking eldest daughter to hockey. Have been roped into playing hockey myself today - in goal! First game for a year and its the Kent Cup Semi final!!! Won't even get to play in final since same day as my marathon.

Finally got to watch the training day video. Ady - you are looking very comfortable. I'm backing you for sub 3:30 mate!

Whoa - have you ever played in goal before? Seems to me like the last place you'd want to be on a hockey field. Is there any part of you that doesn't get padded up? Hope it went well!

I wasn't sure if my 23 was a big mistake or not. Feel ok today but the day after is usually the acid test.

• Good Luck Shady

As you can tell from my name 3.30 was always my dream closest I ever came was 3.42

Looking back how I wish I had taken that time and built on it for the next one I am sure I could have done it.

Will be following this to see how you get on

• Hey Ruth.........I feel like a puppy being told off for pooping in the living room when you call me Adrian. I know I've annoyed Mrs. Shady Ady when she uses 'Adrian', although it's debateable whether I agree every time with why she's angry! image

I will try and focus now 100% in the last 3 weeks. Three weeks doesn;t seem like a lot to go with not eating certain foods. 

Can you recommend certain foods that I should try eating more than others for these three weeks, and foods I should definitely stay well clear of? This way I can make sure I only stock up on the best foods on the next weekly shop and not be drawn in to temptation by not buying the wrong kinds! For example I've been eating baguette sandwiches more this week than normal. These are small in size, but would a cous-cous or bulgar wheat salad be more adviseable instead? 

For evening meals, are there certain foods I should try and keep in. I know I need to cut down on meat and veg in my carb-loading, but should I watch how much of these I eat now as well?

The restaurant looks good.....great choice. I trust the fondue restaurant choice will be on the Sunday after the race? image

Morning Shady- Ady!

I would now stick to fruit or/& small pot of low fat yoghurts as snacks - mid-morning and mid-afternoon and for lunch stick to a mix of cous cous & bulger wheat with lots of salad but I would still allow yourself a baguette twice during the week - say Monday &  Friday as this keeps variety. In the evening still keep all protein and  during taper don't be scared to reduce carbs in evening meals (still have rice, potato, pasta etc but reduce) and pile on the veg/salad. Avoid all alcohol, chocolate, crisps and biscuits until after the race - that is really a challenge but it is only less than 3 weeksimage away. THEN you can have that fondue  and a massive dessert of your choice on Sunday 7th April...post race!

• Week 13 Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training Round-up (W/ Ending 17/03/13):

Day 85 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (11/03/13)

Target: Rest

Actual: Rest w/ 20 minutes of stretching and foam rollering

Day 86 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (12/03/13)

Target: Rest or 4 mile jog @ 9:00-9:50m/m

Actual: 4.03 miles in 36:04 @ 8:57m/m

Day 87 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (13/03/13)

Target: Rest

Actual: Rest (with 30 minutes of stretching and foam rollering)

Day 88 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (14/03/13)

Target: 5 miles comfortable @ 7:50-8:40m/m plus 3x acceleration strides

Actual: 5.23 miles in 41:09 @ 7:52m/m including 3x acceleration strides

Mile Splits: 1st @ 8:00m/m. 2nd @ 7:46m/m. 3rd @ 7:44m/m. 4th @ 7:48m/m. 5th @ 7:46m/m.

Day 89 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (15/03/13)

Target: 6 mile OUT AND BACK - 8.15-8.30 ON WAY OUT – 7.45-8 ON WAY BACK

Actual: 6.11 mile in 48:04 @ 7:52m/m - OUT AND BACK - 8:12m/m ON WAY OUT – 7:34m/m ON WAY BACK

Mile Splits: 1st @ 8:23m/m. 2nd @ 8:03m/m. 3rd @ 8:10m/m. 4th @ 7:33m/m. 5th @ 7:40m/m. 6th @ 7:29m/m.

Day 90 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (16/03/13)

Target: 4 miles steady @ 7:20m/m-7:45m/m

Actual: 4.02 miles in 29:09 @ 7:15m/m

Mile Splits: 1st @ 7:16m/m. 2nd @ 7:10m/m. 3rd @ 7:22m/m. 4th @ 7:13m/m.

Day 91 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (17/03/13)

Target: 2 hours comfortable off-road @ 7:50-8:40m/m

Actual: 15.32miles in 2:01:52 @ 7:57m/m (done on road due to water-logging from rain)

Mile Splits: 1st @ 7:51m/m. 2nd @ 8:02m/m. 3rd @ 8:06m/m. 4th @ 8:00m/m. 5th @ 7:58m/m. 6th @ 8:04m/m. 7th @ 7:56m/m. 8th @ 7:59m/m. 9th @ 7:59m/m. 10th @ 8:00m/m. 11th @ 7:58m/m. 12th @ 7:55m/m. 13th @ 7:54m/m. 14th @ 7:49m/m. 15th @ 7:57m/m. Last 0.32 miles @ 7:33m/m.

Target: 33 miles

Actual: 34.71 miles

It’s a nice feeling to get the last long run out of the way and successfully completed. Looking at the training schedule for the next 3 weeks – the taper shouldn’t be as difficult as I originally thought. It’s not so much as cutting down the number of runs, but cutting down the length of each run. The intensity remains the same, just in smaller amounts. I expect to see plenty more stretching and foam rollering taking place over the next 3 weeks that’s for sure!

• Week 13 Weight Loss Watch!

Starting Weight: 162.8lbs (Target Weight: 148lbs)

Weight After Week 1: 162.2lbs (-0.6lbs) (Xmas Parties!)

Weight After Week 2: 161.9lbs (-0.3lbs) (Xmas!)

Weight After Week 3: 160.7lbs (-1.2lbs) (New Year!)

Weight After Week 4: 159.2lbs (-1.5lbs)

Weight After Week 5: 158.0lbs (-1.2lbs)

Weight After Week 6: 156.2lbs (-1.8lbs)

Weight After Week 7: 155.8lbs (-0.4lbs)

Weight After Week 8: 155.0lbs (-0.8lbs)

Weight After Week 9: 154.4lbs (-0.6lbs)

Weight After Week 10: 153.2lbs (-1.2lbs)

Weight After Week 11: 152.8lbs (-0.4lbs)

Weight After Week 12: 152.4lbs (-0.4lbs)

Weight After Week 13: 151.8lbs (-0.6lbs)

Total Loss: 11.0lbs

It’s been another week with questionable eating habits and surprisingly, another week of weight loss. I do wonder if I’d been a bit better with the food I’ve eaten over the past few weeks, if I’d already be down to my target weight of 148lbs for Paris.

As Ruth has said if I’d asked myself ‘Do I really need this’ before a few of the questionable food items to pass through my lips, the answer would definitely be no. But it’s easier said than done. My diet now is a million times better than when I started. I don’t eat any fast food now, but to cut out everything, has been a step too far for me. You need a few treats in your life!

With only 3 weeks to go now before Paris, I’m prepared to go that whole extra mile in terms of diet and cut out the few treats I’ve allowed myself. So no more chocolate, crisps, beer or wine….or anything else that Ruth would frown upon. It would be amazing to reach the start line of Paris at my goal weight, and with my miles now reducing in number, I really do need to watch more closely what I eat.

I need to lose another 4lbs roughly in the last 3 weeks. It’s time to focus on that goal even more intently than before!

• Its really encouraging ­to read such a thread. I have been training to get under 3:30 following a similar plan. I have also been reading the sub 3.00 by A.W which is well beyond my capabilities.

I have also found that the diet tends to follow the training. Over the last 6 months since October I have lost weight and gained some speed!

However its all good news, being a gym fan I have also loss upper body strength! Doh!