Wimslow half marathon, no music???

Im running my First Half Marathon in Wilmslow, this coming Sunday 24th March. In the race booklet it says IPODS and other such 'gizmos' should not be used during the race! Has anyone ran this race before, is this true can you not listen to music??????? Because theres no way I can run with out my IPOD!!!!

A worried runner !

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Many races ban I pods. I'm sure you can manage to run without music for a couple of hours. Just enjoy the atmosphere of the race. Everyone else will be in the same boat.
  • If a tiger was after you - you'd turn the iPod on first?

I've seen ambulances stuck behind iPod runners there unable to make themselves heard. Maybe thats why. If I collapse I'd like the ambulance to get to me sooner rather than later.
  • with music its harder to listen to the marshalls.....go on run the race and take in the atmosphere scenery and chat to fellow runners.........

you can run without music and in a race you have no time to get bored.

just enjoy it

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    You'd be surprised - for years I thought I couldn't run without my iPod, then couple of months ago I was doing a run straight from work and forgot the iPod - after the initial trauma I realised it was actually quite nice and now I rarely plug myself in. I feel more in tune with how my body is working and I don't really like seeing people with headphones in races, it's like they're not really joining in?!
  • The thought of running without an i-pod is scary. I did my 1st half marathon (Reading, Berks) today in a modest 2hours 18 mins- i wish I could reduce my i-pod depend though !! 

• Ian MIan M ✭✭✭

" Because theres no way I can run with out my IPOD!!!!"

Best give up now then.

• i often run to music, but when i run with my dog, people always want to say hi and pet her , not sure why when shes muddy , but she is cute , 

so i when i take her i run without music 

i am doing st albans HM and that says you may be disqualified if using mp3/ipod etc , eek! , i haen't done a HM yet, i did 10k event, and it was nice hearing everyone and the supporters 

i don;t mind really 

• It may say theres no Ipods allowed but in most most races nobody seems to give much of a shit if you run with one.

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

If you can remember your favourite songs in your head, why do you need an ipod to listen to them.

There is now a ban on the use of mobile phones and ipods/mp3 players on large construction sites in central London, if building workers can manage to work all day without, I am sure a little half marathon will be no problem.

• SteadyCJ wrote (see)

If you can remember your favourite songs in your head, why do you need an ipod to listen to them.

Really? 

• There is now a ban on the use of mobile phones and ipods/mp3 players on large construction sites in central London, if building workers can manage to work all day without, I am sure a little half marathon will be no problem.

no one at work really should be going about with headphones on , unless its part of their job to listen to stuff , running is leisure time , however from a safety POV i can see why in large crowds its safer not to, personal running , fine , but events i'm not so sure 

• Just run with one ear plugged in and after a while you don't even realise the music is on. I ran with out in bath and the crowd keeps you going
  • I did Reading yesterday and my IPOD locked itself for about 2 miles with my music off in mile 8. Not a disaster but it made one mile feel like two instead. Listening to music is a very motivating thing which is why most exercise and physical activity classes use music. I love running in itself but psychologically certain songs are motivating and make me run faster when I though I was tired and some keep me going in the end stages when I feel like walking.  I don't believe that you are not taking in the atmosphere with headphones in as we have five senses not one. I could see and hear the cheering crowd (who were brilliant) as the volume I use never blocks everything out including marshalls. Unfortunately not everyone in races loves running but is doing it to raise moneyfor charity or lose weight so I think whatever motivates people to get to the end.   

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Princess80 wrote (see)

Im running my First Half Marathon in Wilmslow, this coming Sunday 24th March. In the race booklet it says IPODS and other such 'gizmos' should not be used during the race! Has anyone ran this race before, is this true can you not listen to music??????? Because theres no way I can run with out my IPOD!!!!

A worried runner !

Pull out of the race.

You cannot be expected to run in those circumstances. It is absolutely ridiculous that you are expected to run a race without carrying an ipod. Is there nothing in the Human Rights Act that you can call on and take it up with the organisers?

• At last year's Wilmslow half, I can remember an ambulance having to make its way along the narrow roads to get to a runner who had collapsed. Marshalls and runners were shouting for everyone to move to the right to allow the ambulance through, but the ambulance was delayed quite a bit by the occasional runner with headphones being blissfully unaware of the need to move. The incident changed view of headphones in races.

I'm happy to run with headphones outisde of races. Though I need to delete "Tour de France" by Kraftwerk - uses a strong "breathing" rhythm as a kind of percussion beat, and it always screws up my own breathing when it comes on.

• Suck it up Princess!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Have you ever tried it without music? Especially for long runs, it can be very helpful to be able to hear yourself and be aware of your surroundings. You might find you can get used to it very quickly and actually enjoy it more, once youre used to it. I can't run with music now.

• Tanya Downes 2 wrote (see)
    Just run with one ear plugged in and after a while you don't even realise the music is on. I ran with out in bath and the crowd keeps you going

Same organisers as Tatton HM last year, advisory sent out not to wear Ipods etc but loads of people did, the majority of them with 1 ear piece in rather than 2

I wouldn't worry unless it said something along the lines of the ipod police/stewards would be disqualifying or removing anyone from the race found to be wearing a music device of any kind

Might try it without music for a change on Sunday myself ready for Manchester in a few weeks, I train on my own so I do tend to get bored from time to time on long runs that are familiar routes

• Why do people assume that others want to chat to them on a run?  I wouldn't chat to you on an escalator or in an elevator.

The OP needs to suck it up, though.  Their race, their rules.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    rockinrocky_robin wrote (see)
    Tanya Downes 2 wrote (see)
    Just run with one ear plugged in and after a while you don't even realise the music is on. I ran with out in bath and the crowd keeps you going

Same organisers as Tatton HM last year, advisory sent out not to wear Ipods etc but loads of people did, the majority of them with 1 ear piece in rather than 2

I wouldn't worry unless it said something along the lines of the ipod police/stewards would be disqualifying or removing anyone from the race found to be wearing a music device of any kind

Might try it without music for a change on Sunday myself ready for Manchester in a few weeks, I train on my own so I do tend to get bored from time to time on long runs that are familiar routes

The advertise the race as 13.1 miles. I fancy just running 7.5 though so will take a couple of shortcuts. Sorry to anyoen that puts further down the field or misses out on prizes but that's just what I wanted to do.

I really don't care if people wear ear phones or not, but if the organiser puts something in the rules I think people should respect that.

• At risk of starting a flame war or worse, offending someone. You don't see the guys at the front of the pack with Ipod's!! concentrate on running as fast as you can according to your ability.  You won't need music then.  I tried running the Loch Ness Marathon with an mp3 player.  I ended up givng it to some kid in the crowd after about 4 miles. I'ma bit more serious about my running now. 

• South Yorkshire half yesterday and we were all warned no iPods or phones and runners would be disqualified. Anyone with even a wire showing was told to remove from their person. This was due to roads not allowed to be closed and us needing to hear the marshals.
  • WOW!  Thanks for all the constructive comments guys!!!

Especially love this one,

'If a tiger was after you - you'd turn the iPod on first?

Im sure they wont be relasing any animals from the local zoo to join us in the race,so theres once less thing to worry about hey!!!!

Just to make a valid point in the race booklet on page nine ive just noticed there is a full page of runners from last year and two runners are photographed running the race listening to an ipod!!! well I rest my case! All this worry for nothing, phew

• Loxley - You gave your ipod to a kid in the crowd at Loch Ness ------ what crowd?  When I did it there were no spectators except for a small village in the middle and for the last mile or so.

If ever there was a race for an ipod it's Loch Ness.

• Princess - Two of us have told you of ambulances not able to get past on the roads at Wilmslow due to Ipodded runners.

Is it selfishness or stupidity that lets you think you will be fine to use it still ? Both ?
  • If the rules say NO IPODS - then don't wear one.

Seriously - if you can't make it through a poxy half marathon without a bit of music....................

I am a big fan of them in training - or in a race where they are premitted and I personally think that folks on here get unnecessarily riled about them. However - if the organisers have said NO then that's the end of it.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    So the organisers have asked you not to use them.

There are stories about ambulances being held up where people's lives are at risk

But because someone else wore one last year then it's ok?

In my personal opinion it's very selfish and disrespectful.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

love the responses.

It's as if this thread doesn't happen  a couple of times a month.

Normally on General in fairness.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

That excuse "Everyone else does it", is just an amoral justification to absolving oneself of personal responsibility and accountability.

i.e A selfish prat!

🙂

• baldblokebaldbloke ✭✭✭

at the reading hm yesterday, i probably lost a fair bit of time weaving around runners listening to headphones and therefore totally lacking in basic spacial awareness. it's a basic lack of courtesy to other runners

• Millsy1977 wrote (see)
    So the organisers have asked you not to use them.

There are stories about ambulances being held up where people's lives are at risk

But because someone else wore one last year then it's ok?

In my personal opinion it's very selfish and disrespectful.

Hear hear. I'd dob you in it Princess if I saw you in a race with an ipod that had banned them.  Follow the rules.