Nutrition & Food tips for the Adidas Thunder Run.

I've signed up with a friend to run this years Adidas Thunder Run in July. It's an event that runs for 24hrs and requires us both to complete a 10k course on a continuos relay basis. This is my first attempt so I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has run in this event or similar events before and how they planned their nutrition and fluid intake.

Comments

• Hi PH2.

Does this mean you will be doing numerous 10k's within the 24hours?

I haven't ran in this event but will be able to help you out.

Craig

www.craigwatsonsportsnutrition.com

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Hi PH2, haven't run myself but have you had a look on their website?  They have a race guide and say this about food...

You’re going to burn off a lot of calories over the duration of the event, so making sure that you are fully fuelled is imperative to success. We have caterers on site that will be open night & day preparing hot & cold food, but self sufficiency is a good thing. There’s no queue for one thing! Bear in mind that you don’t want anything that’s too complicated to make or that takes a long time to prepare.

Your time off the course is precious & you’ll want to spend as much of it as possible resting up. If

possible, rope in a partner or friend to be your chef for the weekend to take care of the food. Get a big meal down you the night before & expect to consume little & often when the race is on. Remember to keep well hydrated at all times too. If you are not used to energy drinks, this isn’t the best time to start experimenting with them. Stick to what you’re used to.

Craig, don't think promoting your own paid for services is really what PH2 is looking for!

• Craig, Yes one of us needs to be on the course throughout the 24hrs. So if we can we will each do 12 laps each.

Thanks for the offer of professional help, but I'm just after some basic advice or experience at this stage.
  • Cinders, Thank you for your great advice and I forgot that there will caterers at the event.

I do a number of 10k's and half marathons throughout the year and I normally carb up and hydrate well, but my concern with this event is what effect will a number of carb meals and energy drinks and gels have over 24 hour period. Also with only an hours break between each run. However as you say if we eat little and often and rest up for half an hour we should be ok. Or just grin and bare it!!
  • Craig, Yes one of us needs to be on the course throughout the 24hrs. So if we can we will each do 12 laps each.

Thanks for the offer of professional help, but I'm just after some basic advice or experience at this stage.
  • Cinders, Thank you for your great advice and I forgot that there will caterers at the event.

I do a number of 10k's and half marathons throughout the year and I normally carb up and hydrate well, but my concern with this event is what effect will a number of carb meals and energy drinks and gels have over 24 hour period. Also with only an hours break between each run. However as you say if we eat little and often and rest up for half an hour we should be ok. Or just grin and bare it!!