Target time for my first 10km

Hi.

I have started my training for my first half marathon and on advice I received earlier in the week I have entered into a 10km race in 3 weeks time.  I am interested at experienced runners suggestions to what a good target time would be. Please see some details I have put below to give you an idea of where I am:

I am currently running 3 times a week, having started a fortnight ago after months without any training. I ran a comfortable 5km in 23:50, and then a very steady 10km in 53:52. It was the first 10km I had ever ran so I ensured that I ran it

at an easy pace to ensure I finished it and in truth I felt absolutely fine afterwards. Based on this and th fact I still have a couple of weeks full training, what do you suggest would be a good target for a race time. I am planning on building up so that I can really run the race hard so I want to set an optimistic but achievable target! 

Comments

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Its impossible to be accurate, as no idea  how hard a "comfortable" and "steady" pace is for you.  Therfore the following is my guess:

As a rule of thumb, I'd double a 5k race time and add 10% to estimate a 10k time.  As you ran the 5k "comfortably", you could probably just double it and round it up to 48 minutes.  This kinda aligns with your steady 10k time, as its roughly 5 minutes (or 10%) faster.

If you use 48 mins as your target, in the race you can run the first 5k at this pace (roughly 7:45 min/mile) and then adjust your pace for the remaining 5k.

To test this theory, try running a couple of miles at 7:45 min/mile pace in the middle of one of your training runs.  This should feel a bit uncomfortable but sustainable over the two miles, and you should be able to finish your training run at a comfortable pace after this (i.e you don't have to stop to catch your breath).  Don't worry too much if it feels faster than you think you can maintain over 6 miles, as on race day you'll run faster than you expect due to adrenaline etc.  

• I was thinking between 45 and 48 but yeah as you said, that sort of pace does feel a bit faster than I'd imagine I could run for a longer period. I'm running a 10k this afternoon and trying to go inside 50 minutes so I'll take your advice and try out that pace for a couple of km in the middle. Thanks
  • One of the most useful pieces of information I was given before racing my first 10K was to keep as closely as possible to even pace. Under the adrenaline of the start line the temptation will be to start too fast and plunge into oxygen debt.

In preparation I did several 4 mile time trials at estimated race pace. I've found that if you can manage a 4 mile time trial in training you can usually push out the same pace for the remaining 2.214 miles on race day.

As Stutyr says, 7:45 miles would be a good place to start. But follow your quarter miles closely in training (circa 1:56 every 1/4 mile).

• Thanks for the advice. I have a little bit of experience in pacing myself, albeit a few years back. I qualified for and ran in the London mini marathon, and I managed to avoid temptation there, so I'm hoping I'll be able to control the adrenaline in this race too! Thanks
  • Can't lay claim to the experience you're after, but despite having come at it from very different ages and a slightly different training route, we're probably not that far apart so I might be able to offer you some insight after my first 10k race this weekend.

I've managed a 22:37 parkrun 5k giving it plenty of beans, so probably comparable to your 'comfortable' 23:50, and a relaxed pace 10k training run in 52:37 so again not a million miles from your 53:52.

I'm 42 now (virtually a fossil, right? image ), at the back end of last summer was overweight and unfit, didn't start running until mid-late November (no prior running background at all), and only started to add a bit of structure and more mileage to my running over the last month or so.

As an initial guide I've got a range that I anticipate falling within at this stage (based on online calculators, 5k pace and training paces), with about 48:20 being the bottom end of what I'd be fairly happy with, and 46:30 being at the very top and something I'd be chuffed to bits with.

In terms of training paces, I've been running some progressive 4-6 mile tempo runs over the last couple of weeks, and holding 7:30 pace or better for a mile or two in the latter stages of them - as well as the shorter parkruns.

I'll drop back by on Sunday evening if you think the comparison might be worthwhile?

P.S. Good luck with this and, having now seen your other thread, the HM when you get to it - wish I had your young legs to train with! image

• Big_Bad_Bob wrote (see)

Can't lay claim to the experience you're after, but despite having come at it from very different ages and a slightly different training route, we're probably not that far apart so I might be able to offer you some insight after my first 10k race this weekend.

I've managed a 22:37 parkrun 5k giving it plenty of beans, so probably comparable to your 'comfortable' 23:50, and a relaxed pace 10k training run in 52:37 so again not a million miles from your 53:52.

I'm 42 now (virtually a fossil, right? image ), at the back end of last summer was overweight and unfit, didn't start running until mid-late November (no prior running background at all), and only started to add a bit of structure and more mileage to my running over the last month or so.

As an initial guide I've got a range that I anticipate falling within at this stage (based on online calculators, 5k pace and training paces), with about 48:20 being the bottom end of what I'd be fairly happy with, and 46:30 being at the very top and something I'd be chuffed to bits with.

In terms of training paces, I've been running some progressive 4-6 mile tempo runs over the last couple of weeks, and holding 7:30 pace or better for a mile or two in the latter stages of them - as well as the shorter parkruns.

I'll drop back by on Sunday evening if you think the comparison might be worthwhile?

P.S. Good luck with this and, having now seen your other thread, the HM when you get to it - wish I had your young legs to train with! image

This is great Bob, thanks.

I'd say we are at a very similar stage right now. I'm about to hit the road on a slighter harder 10km, and I'm planning on running a couple of miles in the middle at 7:30ish just like you. I'll let you know how it goes if you're interested!

And haha thanks, I'm determined at the minute to get there with the half marathon, and you're only as old as you feel! image And lets be honest, your legs can't be bad if you're running 10km in 53mins. I took my mate on a steady 5km run on Monday. It took 26 minutes and it killed him, and he goes gym 3 times a week and plays football too!

• Just returned from my 10km, and aimed to stick to a 8min pace for as long as possible.

My km lap splits were as follows:
    4:48, 4:59, 4:55, 4:55, 4:58, 4:46, 4:41, 4:47, 4:41, 4:17 

Needless to say I'm over the moon. Total time was 47:46, which is easily the best run I've ever done. Infact, my final 5km was a PB in itself. Looks like I need to revise my target race time a bit. What do people think based on that?

• Great effort, Tom!

Congrats. I fancied a time-trial myself leading into my race on Sunday, but got talked out of it. I'm happy with the training that I've been advised to do instead, and feel in great shape for the weekend, but this must give you loads of confidence - which was behind my own original thinking.

Shorter run myself this evening, and hit around 7:15 mile pace on just a couple of comfortably hard KM repetitions (45 second jog between them) well into the run as I'm trying to save the legs now. The ease I found that pace has cheered me up a bit anyway after a boozy session on Saturday made Sunday and Monday's runs a bit uncomfortable!

I reckon you've got to be thinking in terms of 46:00 or better now haven't you? Particularly with that really strong final 5k - 23:12 if I've done my sums right?

In terms of what you can do between now and the race, I got a long run over distance (7.6 miles) in about 10 days ago, and think that has helped both confidence and endurance too. You might be able to get a couple of these in before your race depending on exactly when it is? I wouldn't do it within the last week to 10 days though.

The more experienced runners would probably advise you not to do too many hard miles between now and the race, particularly after tonight's effort, but as mentioned before I've enjoyed the progressive tempo medium-long runs with a mile or two at 10k pace at the back end so that might be something else you can consider.

P.S. Think you've probably got the beating of me based on this tonight!
    Great effort, Tom!

Congrats. I fancied a time-trial myself leading into my race on Sunday, but got talked out of it. I'm happy with the training that I've been advised to do instead, and feel in great shape for the weekend, but this must give you loads of confidence - which was behind my own original thinking.

Shorter run myself this evening, and hit around 7:15 mile pace on just a couple of comfortably hard KM repetitions (45 second jog between them) well into the run as I'm trying to save the legs now. The ease I found that pace has cheered me up a bit anyway after a boozy session on Saturday made Sunday and Monday's runs a bit uncomfortable!

I reckon you've got to be thinking in terms of 46:00 or better now haven't you? Particularly with that really strong final 5k - 23:12 if I've done my sums right?

In terms of what you can do between now and the race, I got a long run over distance (7.6 miles) in about 10 days ago, and think that has helped both confidence and endurance too. You might be able to get a couple of these in before your race depending on exactly when it is? I wouldn't do it within the last week to 10 days though.

The more experienced runners would probably advise you not to do too many hard miles between now and the race, particularly after tonight's effort, but as mentioned before I've enjoyed the progressive tempo medium-long runs with a mile or two at 10k pace at the back end so that might be something else you can consider.

P.S. Think you've probably got the beating of me based on this tonight!

Haha thanks, I felt so good with myself. Yep your maths is right, I've never ran a really hard 5km before so that was the best effort I've ever managed.

With regard to training between now and then, I was thinking that I won't do a run like that again now. I'll probaly alternate between steady runs, and shorter runs at my target race pace, which now stands at around a very scary 7:15 a mile. Frankly, that sounds terrifying, but we'll see how the next fortnight goes. 

I've set the benchmark there anyway with that 47:46, even though it isn't an official time. I'll be expecting a message on Sunday afternoon letting me know that you beat my time!

• Seems a realistic target I'd have thought particularly with time for further fitness and pace gains between now and race day.

Just be careful with the quicker stuff - don't go out too hard at that target pace without a decent warm up first.

And yes, I'll pop by on Sunday - though it's just as likely to be a white flag I'm waving as a new time to beat I think!
    Seems a realistic target I'd have thought particularly with time for further fitness and pace gains between now and race day.

Just be careful with the quicker stuff - don't go out too hard at that target pace without a decent warm up first.

And yes, I'll pop by on Sunday - though it's just as likely to be a white flag I'm waving as a new time to beat I think!

Haha I want a time to beat so don't let me down. And advice duly noted.

Big_Bad_Bob wrote (see)
    Seems a realistic target I'd have thought particularly with time for further fitness and pace gains between now and race day.

David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Look at Tom, I can see him smiling from here, bless.

Good work sunshine, dont be like Julius Caeser though and rest on  your laurels. Get your ass out there and break the 45 minute mark.

haha I won't lie, I was pretty happy after that. 

• Well, I managed to raise the bar for you, Tom as requested!

I think you'll find the pace yourself in race conditions to beat it, I couldn't believe just how much more speed it gave me once the adrenaline started flowing.

45:40 to beat. Absolutely delighted!
    Well, I managed to raise the bar for you, Tom as requested!

I think you'll find the pace yourself in race conditions to beat it, I couldn't believe just how much more speed it gave me once the adrenaline started flowing.

Big_Bad_Bob wrote (see)
    Well, I managed to raise the bar for you, Tom as requested!

Thats incredible, well done! That really has raised the bar..

I haven't been out for 3 days now because I've had a niggle in my ankle. But I think I'm going to try it out this afternoon. I just want to make sure it heals properly, because the last thing I want to do it have to pull out.

Providing it heals, looks like I'll be aiming bang on 45minutes then. That's something to aim for. I'll chuck a couple of 4:30 kilometres to my training runs and see how it feels, but your time has given me a lot of confidence, and makes me want to get back on the road ASAP!

• Thanks Tom. Still riding the wave after Sunday. Have had an aching few days as I really put myself through some pain over the last mile and a bit, but was good for some even quicker km interval paces again this evening as I target my 5k PB at Parkrun on Saturday.

Bad news about the ankle, hope it is just a niggle. Did you get out? How was it?

Better to rest or just run very easy miles for a day or two more than risk turning into something more serious if you're in any doubt though I'd have thought.

I'm sure you'll get a great time from what you've done so far even if you do have to ease back to less than ideal mileage over the next few days, so make sure you get to the start line in good shape - you'll love it, and would lay good money that you'll find more than you thought possible.

Good luck, and keep us posted on the niggle and of course the race itself.
  • Ran 5km in 24. Felt very steady indeed but wasn't totally pain free. Will reassess tomorrow, just feels a bit stiff tonight. I know I don't need to find much so if it comes to it, ten days of light training should get me to the start line fresh and then I'll just hit a 4:30 pace and see if I can sustain it!

I'd just like to be able to do some short bursts at race pace from now until then I'll be pretty confident of hitting the 45 min mark. Time will tell..
  • Sounds like a decent session, apart from the niggle. Would you describe it as actual pain or just discomfort? A bit more to worry about if it's the former, less if it's the latter.

Did you have a warm up before the above run, or did you start a little more slowly and build the pace up? If you're just launching straight into that pace with cold muscles you will be raising the risk of aggravation I believe. 

• I started slowly and worked up. I didnt feel like I aggravated it and the pain wasnt any worse the day after so thats a good thing I guess. It's not painful to the extent that it makes it harder to run, so I'd describe it as a discomfort, but it definitely does hurt a bit. 

I'm out again tomorrow so the aim is to do a final slightly longer run at a steady pace. Knowing me, I'll up the pace in the final 2km but the aim is just to get through the session again.

• Sounds like something you can work with and manage anyway, which is good. Shouldn't be any problem to hit faster paces later in the run once you're nicely warmed up I wouldn't have thought, provided you've had no adverse reaction up to that point of course.

Fingers crossed. Good luck.
  • Tentatively tried some relatively hard race pace training for the first time in a while (and probably the last time before sunday) Target was to run 10km, with my 2nd, 4th, 8th and 10th km at race pace:
    Km splits were:

5:25, 4:18, 5:40, 4:14, 5:48, 5:30, 5:34, 4:31, 5:23, 4:30
    Total : 10km in 50mins 50secs

Thats it for the 10km runs now. Easing down now. Ankle felt better as the run went on, so I shouldn't have any excuses if I can't match your time next weekend!

• Hitting some decent pace there, Tom in the quicker KMs. Good news on the ankle too.

Good luck on Sunday, and look forward to hearing how it went.

A 40 second 5k PB for me on Saturday with a 21:57 at parkrun - so that's your next target after you raise the 10k bar again on Sunday!

• Thanks Bob.

I've decided to cut it right back this week. Just did 5 on Wednesday and will do 5 tomorrow. I don't feel as fresh ss I'd like but I can't complain. Feeling confident though. I can't wait.

Next Saturday I'm home from uni and have a parking run five minutes away so will go to get a 5km time too.

Thanks for the encouragement, and I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!
  • Sounds a sensible approach.

I'd suggest making that last run before your race at predominantly an easy pace as it's too late for any training benefit anyway and you just want your legs to keep turning over. I did put a few strides (3 sets) of a couple of hundred yards apiece at around my target race pace to remind my legs what I wanted from them on the Sunday, and this had me absolutely chomping at the bit to get to the start line.

I did this the day before my race, but can't think of any reason why you shouldn't make it today if that's your personal preference and then rest up tomorrow. My thinking was I might be a bit restless with nervous energy on that final day if I didn't do something.

Once again - good luck. image

• Haven't suffered like that before. It was chucking it down. 2 laps of the course, and there was an absolute mud bath on one of the back straights which was so hard to trudge through!

Never one for excuses though. Finished in 43:59. If I didn't have your time to aim for, I wouldn't have broken 45 mins so thanks a lot image
  • Excellent stuff, Tom!

I felt sure you'd be beating my time, but that's a superb effort first time out to dip under 44 mins.

Well done indeed.

I'm lining up my second 10k in a couple of weeks on Easter Monday, and will have it all on to get anywhere near that!

Good luck at Parkrun next week if you go ahead with that. I should be back out trying to lower my 21:57 PB too, though a potentially boozy Friday night won't be helping much!
  • Thanks. 

I'm planning on doing the park runs while I'm at home (there's not a close one at university in Loughborough), and then building up mileage at the same time. Target time calculators suggest I should be aiming at a sub 1:40 half marathon, so need to get down to some proper training now if I've got any chance of that.