Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Iron, nice outing, probably fair does wearing that for the bike bits...  You can't really wear vest and shorts for that, or can you?

What's the run course like route wise? If you know the area to explain it...does it go over the bridge near the Thames, under a little short underpath and back?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sorry IC, I'd forgotten that was today! I was lucky on the bike this afternoon, as the rain had stopped. it was still cold though, so riding in those temperatures with the added torrential rain and hail of this morning would have been a complete mare! Then add in a run running through a cold swamp at either end.....

PC2 - must admit, I've often fancied doing a run with the masses (again!) to have a chance to enjoy the atmosphere etc. I guess the problem is, that wherever you are in the field you are still working as hard as you can, and as you say, for longer so those around you are probably not going to be up to chewing the fat any more than those running s sub 6 pace!

• Cheers SG. No worries Bus. I hope the bike work is doing you some good - be careful out there in these conditions - no need to get injured more.

I think a trisuit in winter is akin to vest and shorts at winter XC. Sensible clothing if it pays off. To be honest it's too hot to run in the base layer and armwarmers but manageable on the bike.

Course is loop round the sports ground, then down RH in to Pound Lane on to mud bath/path, the LH towards the river. Through the lock, over the slipperiest wooden bridge, LH turn through a wooded path then LH turn again after a kissing gate. Past some nice houses then through a tunnel. Round past Bisham Abbey, along the road, over the road bridge in Marlow then across Higginson park. LH turn at Pound Lane then RH turn back in to the field.

Run#2 is the reverse of run#1 though no loop in the field - straight across the finish.

Kudos to your former clubmates. They all pulled together to get people warmed up and did a great job.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ahh it sounds the same running loop.

Years back, we had a little tester/team event, where we got in teams of 2 or 3, and each did a leg.

There were also walking routes.

I was in the supposed "elite team" with a fast guy on a bike, so I ran the 2 runs legs, and he cycled in between.

Can still remember how cold it was being about 8am on a winter morning!! Cripes.

Can also remember the pure stitch up of coming 2nd team home as we'd "lost" to the walking team!

• Some fantastic results guys... Feeling a bit guilty now having done sweet fa today... I call it tapering, others may call it idolness...

Hope BBC is way out with the weather forecast for Eastleigh next week, it'd be good to run without the mac and wellies for once...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Same here Bluie, last day off work today after seemingly forever off, and a rest day to boot!

Word has it Eastleigh was hot and sunny last year! Sounds quite remarkable after our last 4/5 months weather

• Stevie.... Nothing is surprising were the weather is concerned nowadays... The only good thing about the BBC forecast is that it will drastically change each hour between now and Sunday, and really should be taken seriously around Sunday 10 O'clockish...

Off to Cornwall now to do a bit of chilling, and to continue my idolness I mean tapering...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

for a min I thought you were talking about being an idol...maybe the kids of the area have realised you were a 31min 10kman at your peak image

• Knew I shouldn't have given up my education at 10...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

More biking for me this morning. Thanks to a diversion becuase of an accident I had to add an extra 2.5M onto the route, which involved a rather hair raising descent off the Chiltern Ridge on a minor road that hadn't been gritted! 17M total. Plan is a swim at lunch then just the 4.5M home form the station on the bike.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Right, had some time to properly read back over yesterday's posts!

Dachs - great run from you yesterday. I didn't take it personally at all and if i was in that group too, I would have stuck with them also! Just couldn't quite reach!

Matt - top running as always. takes talent to mix it up on all surfaces. How's the ankle today? Hopefully plenty of RICE has sorted it?

Bus - you really do have ants in your pants don't you! Surprised cycling is ok for a bad back as i thought it would be terrible for it. Still don't rush anything fella you've got marathon trainign starting before you know itimage

Iron - well done on the Duathalon. Having marshaled it in years gone by, my lasting memory is of how lumpy the bike course is - wouldn't want to be doing that in glasses I couldnt see out! i had to marshal a road junction once on the bike part where cyclists HAD to stop and put their foot down or they would be DQ'd - tough stopping cyclists that are flying down a hill towards you ven in good conditions! Well done on not getting frost bite either by the sounds of it.

PC2 - after the HM I ran back 3 miles into Reading and ran the final 3 miles back with the crowds looking to finish around 2 - 2.30 hours and understand where you are coming from. Guys running together and supporting eachother was great (as were the crowds actually) and you realise from front to back, people of all standards put hours into training and reminded me of why I enjoy the simple act of running purely for it's intrinsic value and nothing else.

SG - I won't be 'racing' another half so your 10 seconds on me is safe. I'll be running Paddock Wood on 7th April but as an MP run with a 10k tagged on at the end. Got a funny feeling once VLM is out the way, I've a summer of 5k & 10ks ahead of me to build speed before the next marathon cycle starts in August.

Bluenose - get off your 'arris you gurt lazy buggerimage

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Johnas, this feels like pure irony me saying this, but don't you ever take a rest? Marathons sound gruelling!

With you, and that sub 1hr 20 girl telling me she does 80mile weeks, i feel like I'm being lazy here!

ps can any Reading fellas remember what pace zones the different colours were? I remember yellow being sub 1hr 20, but do you know what pace it went down to?

A chap on another forum was aiming for 1hr 45 and started at the front of the Red section....which is just behind yellow. he must have started way too far forward right?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Not much to add to the excellent racing over the weekend, well done guys.

My own efforts seem a bit feeble but then again its whatever conditions suit you.

For those who keep confusing monsoon conditions with winter storms in Britain. Yes, both involve rain water, the difference however is about 25 degrees difference in temperature.

I don't race well in hypothermic conditions, not because I don't enjoy it but because its a waste of time.

When/if summer arrives I'll enjoy my annual treat of crushing ice warriorsimage

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, don't spoil my "it was hardly a monsoon" auto responder image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

If we are beng picky image then technically rain is just a by-product of a monsoon. The monsoon itself is actually a seasonal reversal of prevailing winds associated with a land/sea heating differential. It's so pronounced in India because of how much heat it gets and the fact it is a bloody big traingle sticking out into the ocean. It just so happens that in India it results from the land being warmer than the sea, whereas in Britain it's the other way around!

Johnas - I definitely do suffer from ants in the pants syndrome! The back is almost OK btw - it's a (minor?) torn tendon in my Gluteus Maximus that is causing the current downtime. Funnily enough, the back pain almost completely stopped at the precise moment I felt the tendon tear! That said, I do need to be careful as I am susceptible to cycle induced back issues

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

I remember Red being behind Yellow and yellow was sub 1.20. Guess red was 1.20 - 1.45 ish and sounds like he just started at the front of it so yeah, a bit optomistic.

just before the klaxon sounded for the start of the race yesterday when I was toeing the line with Dachs, a guy dressed as Superman turned up next to us! Think it was actually a club mate of Dachs' in the end but for a moment i thought, bugger if I'm being beaten by him!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Johnas - Yeah, no need to worry that he was some chump.  That was Alex Harris(http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=139229).  He's a 1:23 half marathoner and sub-3 marathoner.  He had foolishly promised his kids that he would do it in that costume, which he had not tested in any way prior to the race.  I think he regretted it afterwards.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG - Yellow is up to 1:25 ish, so red is 1:26-1:45 I think.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Who was that then Dachs? I noticed one guy who'd beaten me at a XC race this year, as well as producing a very impressive 1hr 20 at the very tough (and underwater) Marlow half in November, "Only" did a 1hr 22....when I'd have expected pushing 1hr 15...

For some reason that's started my yearly phase of, "it'd be nice" to come high up in the Wycombe or Marlow halfs thinking...16th and 41st my highest to date, 2010 and 2005 though....

Bus has got a top 10 at Wycombe, and last year, when 3 above him were Olympic marathoners, and one was Sam who's international vested up herself!

Bus, you don't show inthe "county championship" results though for some reason on the Handy Cross website?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I'm in the V40 list. A bit annoying as I was 3rd overall in the county champs! I've mentioned it to the RO, but they haven't changed the results....might prod again!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Who was that then Dachs? I noticed one guy who'd beaten me at a XC race this year, as well as producing a very impressive 1hr 20 at the very tough (and underwater) Marlow half in November, "Only" did a 1hr 22....when I'd have expected pushing 1hr 15...

That must have been Lance.  He's had an injury, and is only just coming back.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

do you get anything for top 3 in that? If not, just let it wash over until next year.

Dachs, how come that guy has a 1hr 23 gun time, yet 2:51 chip time? How does that work?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG, not a clue.  Just some strange error in the results - I saw him at the start, and at the end, so nothing funny should have happened.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

looks like he did well to get close to his pb wearing some odd costume then.

I remember overtaking a stack of odd costumers when I started the Silverstone half 5mins late one year, now that's a great buzz...whizzing past 1,000s of runners, but have only lost to a costume wearer once.

At the Boxing day 5k one year!

Yep, was Lance, but that explains it, he was going great guns, so a shame to see a little hiccup.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Johnas, still sore today but had it iced and elevated yesterday with my 32 week pregnant wife bringing me drinks and food. image ha.

I was going to have today off anyhow but was hoping to do tomorrow evening and Thursdays session in prep for Salford. Looking doubtful for tomorrow though but may be able to have some sort of run on it.

Over the last couple of weeks with working away and then missing a quality session or two last week with the odd injury the doubts have started to creep in ahead of Salford. The reduced mileage may work in my favour though.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i agreed with my kids i will do a race dressed up as batman/mario/sonic or something similar.  it would be worth it to line up on the start and have everyone around me think "oh no you dont" and then pick them off one by one.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

i agreed with my kids i will do a race dressed up as batman/mario/sonic or something similar.  it would be worth it to line up on the start and have everyone around me think "oh no you dont" and then pick them off one by one.

I've posted this before but worth posting again for any new comers or luckersimage

http://www.runnerslife.co.uk/ben-moreau/race/berlin-silvesterlauf-10km/482

• Saw a report a year or so ago about some runner who had his stag do at a race so 4 out of the top 5 places were in costume.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That is very funny Johnas!! Not seen that before.

Stevie G . wrote (see)

do you get anything for top 3 in that? If not, just let it wash over until next year.

Yeah - I got the bronze medal on the day!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Actually ran a speed session today. 

Still dressed up against the chill, though dispensed with hat and gloves during the quicker elements.

Decided on a two mile warm up which surprised me by the paces coming out at 7:16 & 6:38. The session was just brisk for 40 seconds and rest for 20 seconds. How many could I do of these? answer, after only 10 cycles I was going a bit flat so eased up a bit and finished on 15.

So 15 minutes is effectively as long as I can race well for. Not great, endurance wise.

Despite the stop start nature of this session, I still clocked the miles at 7:04 & 7:01.

Two mile warm down at 7:10 & 6:58.

🙂