First Duathlon, Help!

So next month I will be doing my first duathlon, 10k/40k/5k (I need more swimming practice before I attempt Triathlons).

The problem is I have never done a multisport event before so don't really know what to do when it comes to kit. I have a cheap Aldi trisuit that I was contemplating wearing (with a jacket over the top), is this okay or is there a better option?

Also, what is the usual time that it would take to complete this distance? I am expecting to be at the arse-end of the results but realistically what am I looking at? I have done the distances on their own and have the times for those (10k - 50min, 40k bike (1:45) and 5k - 25) but have never done them all back to back, so how much longer is it going to be?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!

Comments

• Aldi suit will be fine. Jacket only needed if its cold.

Your bike time looks slow compared to most - but your run times look good. Really - dont worry about it - just enjoy the day. If your last 5k is 25 mins - you'll be doing really well !
  •  Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah i've only the distance once and it was a few weeks ago during the snow and hail so it was brutal but I know I have a lot to work at on my cycling. I was just concerned that I would be that guy at the end of race who finishes an hour after everyone else has packed up and gone home! 

• Firstly, worry not, you'll be quicker on the day, assuming we hit spring and it's slightly better weather conditions.

Secondly, have you had a look on the event website to check previous running of the event's results? 

Thirdly, enjoy it, everyone has to do a first event at some point, if you finish an hour after everyone else it'll be a very quick field looking at your times!

• I have looked on the race organisers site but cannot find the previous results, is there somewhere that has a complete list of all races results? I am doing the standard distance race at the Stockton Duathlon Festival so if anyone happens to know where I can see the times then that would be much appreciated!

• If its the one run by Trihard there is a link that says triathlon results try that thinl it may be there
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Having a lot more running race experience than cycling race experience I tend to think about time, pace, etc. in terms of equivalent running race distances.  A classic duathlon distance for me is somewhere between half marathon and marathon in terms of time (a little nearer to marathon, thinking about it) BUT because of the rest your running muscles get when on the bike, I think you can afford to pace the running sections closer to HM effort.  Don't get me wrong - running straight after a hard 40k on the bike just feels wrong at any speed, but I hope that helps to give it some perspective.

• I'd not bother - what difference does it make ? You won't be last with those running speeds. And your race speed is always better than in training.
  • Yes it is run by trihard but the results are for a triathlon, guess this is the first year for the duathlon? Not that it matters really it was more a matter of curiosity and giving myself some sort of expectation of how long I will be out there! Thanks for at least allaying my fears that I will be last image

Phil - thanks for that, unfortunately I have never ran a marathon/half so I have no idea how long that would take, but my plan is to try and take it steady on the first run leg and settle into it because im already feeling nervous about the race (is this normal?), go for it on the bike and then punish myself on the last 5k if i'm still breathing by that point :P

• Dont go too hard in the first 10k run as that will have a serious affect on your bike and second run split, also practise transition it's not a place for a nice cup of teaimage but enjoy the atmosphere and the race!
  • Thanks Jamie, i'm actually planning on a very minimal transition, literally put the helmet on and swap shoes and thats about it; maybe gloves depending on the weather as I seem to suffer from cold hands when i'm on the bike!

• Clueless Chris wrote (see)

Thanks Jamie, i'm actually planning on a very minimal transition, literally put the helmet on and swap shoes and thats about it; maybe gloves depending on the weather as I seem to suffer from cold hands when i'm on the bike!

If the weather looks dodgy take the time to throw on a jacket or something warm. No point in getting hypothermia for the sake of a few seconds.

I have a pair of light running gloves that do the job for the bike too, provided they stay dry unlike yesterday.