Asics training starts now...!!

Comments

• Hi ksizzlepod......that's a good question, and one that I was going to be asking!!!!.....also carrying your own water...!!??.....

I use a hydration belt...but it only has one pocket for everything, and then pouches for water bottles.....i stuffed all my gels into the pouch for a water bottle and had my jelly babies and music IPod thing in the main pouch.....but my friends laughed at me i seemed to have so much stuff!!!!!....I have tried various belts.......image.......I have found the most comfortable ones are the thicker more substantial ones that sit on your waist and you can tighten them so they cant move.....but you do need to practice with them.... the first one I had, had a woodland burial!!!.....imageBut I really think it is trail and error.......I'm struggling to find a belt that has everything I need.....I'm thinking about just adapting one I have.....

I also cant decided whether to bring my own bottle of water...just in case!!!.....I don't like the idea of only being able to have a drink when I'm told I can.....what if I want a gel and there is no water station for a while!!???.....imageI found on my recent half marathon and the race on Sunday....the water stations were really busy and a few times I just ran past and didn't bother.....oOOOOOO all these decisions!!!!......

I don't know where else you could carry your gels etc if round your waist isn't an option!!!.....I hope someone else has a cunning plan!!!!.....have you tried a hydration vest???....

• Mel

Congratulations on completing 20 miles - a massively long way, whatever pace you do it at!

One piece of advice that I got from an experienced marathoner was; when you get to the race venue, join the queue for the loo.  When you have been, rejoin the back of the queue, shuffle to the front and go again.  Keep circling in the loo queue until the race starts. 

I tried that on my 20 mile Spitfire and it worked for me!

• Hi Mel, 

Im with cat.on.mat with this one, go as much as you can before a race, even if its just nerves making you go......it is in my case haha. Went 3 times before the start of GNR and even then needed to go again less than 3 miles in, ooops maybe too much water sipping through nerves too. 

On training runs I have stopped taking water with me recently, just make sure im fully hydrated before I leave and have a pint of cordial waiting for me (made up before I leave) when I get back. 

At my previous halves I usually take water with me at the start in a plastic bottle so I can just throw it if needs be. Then take water from every station, even if I dont need it so I carry it till then next one then replace it. Not the most economical way I guess but I do then always have water, which when it comes to Mara training you need for the gels. 

I did read on a thread somewhere else that someone sellotaped his gels to his water bottle, not sure how well this works, could be a worth a shot to trial! 

I usually take my phone in an arm band with a single key in the back of it, or in the tiny pocket in the back of my running shorts. Neither of which are big enough for multiple gels plus phone and keys image

I have tried a running belt in the past but it just annoyed me so much during a run that I dumped it in a bin half way round my training run, ooops. 

I may have to position friends/family on route to hand out gels haha. 

• A very entertaining last few posts.....I once had so many gels stuffed into the small pocket at the back of my running tights that builder's bum was a real risk!! It also tickled me the thought of so many gel belts lying discarded under hedges etc, ditched by irritated runners. Sorry not to be able to add anything useful to the debate, just made me smile image
  • Hi Mel, I'm here have been keeping an eye and don't want to comment if all going well!!

Yes has she been doing more running with you? Try the Thomas stetch with her over the edge of the bed and see how tight that is. If that doesn't help then defo see your magical lady!!

Hope that helps and keep up the great work image

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Hi image,

Arent RW or ASICS going to supply you with a personal Pacer. They could carry your picnic for you! I have a vest and shorts with pockets but I won't be wearing the vest on the big day, plus I will have more gels... conundrum! I cant eat all the gels before the start, can I ? GU Chocolate, great with ice-cream.

Don't worry, someone sensible will be along soon to answer it...... RUTH!image

Although I have my camelpak I drink and take gels on the 5k makers as if I was at a water station. Concerning the stations, go to the end, there is always a lonely helper standing there with a bottle stretched out.

Hope all is well, take care.
  • melaniejayne wrote (see)

Hi Ruth.....I'm a very slow runner you know....so it could be 30 hours!!!!!.....image......having used the jelly babies and gels on Sunday...I couldn't take a jelly baby every mile as I would feel sick!!!!......imageso just every now and again will be my plan....along side gels.....who would have thought I would actually grow to like gels!!!!

Thank you for the pizza advice although it does make me feel a little sad!!!image

What the total carb intake in an hour again????

And can you believe 2 wees on Sunday!!!! ...and I actually needed to go....it wasn't just a thought!!!!.....really....does my bladder NOT understand!!!!.....I had my tea and 200mls at 7am......race was at 9.30....and I went for a wee before the start at 9am.....I think I'm going to insert a catheter...!!!!.....image......

Don't worry about the weeing, I honestly think you will be fine in Paris. I am not a big fan of carrying your water bottles as feel you will have enough opportunities to drink and you may end up drinking for the sake of drinking BUT this is you race and you MUST  do what you feel comfortable doing.

You like gels!! Wow did not think I would ever hear that!

Have now booked the Friday restaurant so here are details for interest:

Al  Caratello, 5 rue Audran 75018, 2-3 minute walk from hotel.

Feel free to have a look at reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d788378-Reviews-Ristorante_Al_Caratello-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

No specific menu organized so will have to choose from menu.

You are doing great!

• Hello Mel! A very entertaining catch-up read! Disappointed to see that my post - from the car - saying "HELLO MEL, we're just going past Arundel now and I'm waving!" did not come out image Told you I was a Luddite!

I second Ruth on the 'not carrying your own bottle' conundrum. You honestly don't need it on a big city marathon as there are plenty of water stations. But also agree that if you feel you want it, like a security blanket, then you should take it. Take one you can chuck if you get sick of carrying it though.

As for the how to carry stuff question - I too find this a real bind despite years of running. I find that I'm much better off with a Camelbak (or any sort of rucksack) than with anyting round my waist. A good fitting rucksack just disappears and you pretty much forget it's there. I wore mine for The Grizzly last weekend - 20 miles off road - and it was great. Plus I can store gels in the side pockets and reach them without taking it off. I had a good system going: left hand reaches back for gel from left pocket, right hand puts discarded wrapper into right hand pocket!

For shorter runs though, it's a bit superfluous and I'd then carry a handheld bottle if I need fluid, and put gels in the pocket of my gilet. Running clothing without pockets is a real bugbear of mine image I think it encourages women to run wihtout a personal safety alarm, for example, as nowhere to stow it.

Really looking forward to Paris now but very worried about poor Steve as the clock is ticking. Will be catching up with him shortly.

Wish you all well with your training this weekendimage

• Oh well none of that helped on my gel/hydration saga...only that when I'm poor I'm going foraging in bushes so I can sell slightly used hydration belts on eBay!!!.....image

I'm not sure I want to go for the builders bum look image.....so I think I'm just going to go with PC 91 idea and have a personal pacer!!!....You up for it Sam???....Youll be bored just standing around waiting for us for hours!!!!.....image....and that optimistically includes Steve!!!!!!image

• The weeks are ticking away so here we go.....

Week 13…..

Monday – rest 

Tuesday – 1 ½ hour cross train…..Out on the bike…..managed to get all my chores done and get an hour and a half of cross training in!!!....

Wednesday – 6 mile run (1 mile easy, 1 mile Steady, 3 miles fast, 1 mile easy)

Love it when a plan comes together……ran two miles to running club…then they were doing 3 mile speed session……then a mile warm down…..lovely!!!!!...good work out and a good catch up!!!....image.

6 miles       Time - 52.3         Average pace 8.51 

Thursday – rest

Friday – Speed session…..grrrrr…..New trainer problems!!!!.....I tried talking nicely to my new shoes….I even had a stern word with them, but no, the trainers did not want to play with my feet…..imageso home I hobbled!!!.....not even a sniff of a run!!!..well a few miles peppered with lace playing ......by the time I got home it was too dark and too late to go back out!!!....and I was a little too grumpy too truth be told!!!!......imageI don't grrrrr very often......normally over my bladder...!!

Saturday – rest

Should have been a rest, but due to work commitments tomorrow and a 13 hour shift tomorrow, I did my 14 miler today…..run went well…..although pain in left arch by 9 miles….it gradually was getting worse!!.....I was very sad by the time I got home!!!....image

Hobbled for the rest of the afternoon and contacted Sarah physio…..

Massage, Ice, Ibuprofen, wiggle my toes and try to imagine my foot as a bridge!!....hopefully my foot has just had a recent battering due to trying a couple of pairs of new trainers....ignoring the right knee pain at the moment in the hope by tomorrow morning it will be gone…..imageI am feeling like and old crock!!!.....I have a chafing armpit too!!!!.....Help!!!!....I don't know what to try for a manky armpit!!!!.....image( I love this running thing.....makes you feel really beautiful!!!!) 

14 miles        Time 2.21          Average pace - 10.04

Sunday 14 miles: 9 miles @ 10.20 – 10.30 . 5 miles @ 9.50 – 10 Actual- rest!!

....should have been trying to rest my foot and knee, but real life is not going to allow that…..however not so bad…..foot feels tender, and the knee seems about the same….pleased I'm not running on it today!!.....

Rest day again tomorrow, so hopefully by Tuesday the fairys would have worked their magic and I will be all better!!!!......image

• oooppp...Missed a run....

Tuesday - Along side 1 hour 1/2 on the bike...also managed 4.2 miles.....pootle about......Time 37.53........Average pace 9......I love days off and sunshine!!!!.....image

• Great write up Mel. My running activity consists if physio, rolling, glute exercises and stretching, with a few gentle runs in between. I did get 2 miles before my knee started to give me grief on Sunday - it was good to be out though and my younger son came with me on his bike. He was very patient on my walk breaks - I'm still having a brief walk every 5 minutes - it gets me further than constant running.

Not long until your big day - I hope you're looking forward to it - it sounds as if it's going to be great.
  • Mel - can you let me know if there is anything you are concerned about (other than weeing and I do believe once you start running in Paris you will be fine). Your plan prior to marathon is to eat as normal but increase supper snack on the Thursday & Saturday (add some bread & jam or bowl of cereal) and have small carb based snacks grazing throughout the day (from cereal bars, jelly sweets, fruit based smoothies or milkshakes) so that you are eating 3 main meals and 3 snack each day on Thursday, Friday & Saturday. What do you think you might want to eat the evening before race at restaurant?

• Oh Mel, what's going on with that foot and knee? Honestly, I turn my back for one minute and there you go picking up niggles left right and centre!image

It does sound as if it could be shoe-related. Stick to what you know if you suspect any problems caused by footwear. Keep up the ice and make sure you stretch the toe extensors. You do this by gently pressing the top surface of your foot on a soft surface (carpet) . ie. you are bending your foot, toes curling under. Hpoe this makes sense!

As for chafing - my best suggestion for a remedy is a bit pricey but it blooming works - it's by cycle brand ASSOS and it's called Cycle Repair - it's a gel and it works wonders image keep me posted on the foot and knee please!

• Hi Mel - you must be starting taper very soon and once your little niggles clear up (which will be very soon) you will be raring to go in Paris.

I hope you enjoy the whole experience no matter what the outcome and please remember why you are running.

All the best for Paris and i look forward to reading all about it on here after.

• Hey Sam..... We are like a bunch of children.... You go away and we all play up!!.... I am sitting as we speak stretching and massaging my left foot..... With a bag of peas on my right knee..... And a big glass of red wine!!!!....

Have to say I'm mortified your making me use cycle repair on my armpit!!!!!! Iv heard it all now!!!!...... But will of course give it a go!!!!.....

Short run tomorrow and going to go along a disused railway track it try and reduce the impact..... Will let you know!!!!
  • Hope all settling again Mel. Back to the good old shoes and hopefully all will settle very quickly.

What were they both like walking around today? When did the knee come on? was that after the trainer saga tto or has that been grumbling for a while? Make sure you stretch out your hip flexors go back to the good old Thomas stretch over the edge of the table. have you another massage booked in? Good time to have one as you are now starting your wind down period. Keep me posted.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Hi image,

How are you feeling ? How did your run go on the disused line? Be careful your train-ing doesn't go off the rails on your new running track.

Got a solution for our gels, give them to Sarah, she has a dodgy belt and keeps losing hers and we can pick them up later. Although when I ran the 20k in Paris before I knew what gels were, I thought there had been an accident with a Colgate lorry with so many little tubes on the floor. I'm getting a cheap bumbag which I'll bin half way round. I don't think you should take a gel when you feel like it, I think it should be planned.

Yesterday I did my last run around Bois de Boulogne, 2 loops by joining the finish with Trocadero. I got lost both times trying to cut through the small streets. I wanted to check out the hill at the 32km mark but it's more like a slope, especially for someone has been training on the Sussex Downs. I hit it after 29k on my LSR, no problem! Of course I think it will seem like Everest to those who started too quickly. *note to myself, don't be cocky*. The last 10k was surprising flat, long endless roads, perhaps a bit boring however it will be slightly busier on the 7th.

Loads of trees! We're 50 000 (Steve included!!) And most will be on the course for over 4h, so it's normal to have a pit stop. 2 minutes on a 4h race is not going to make a difference, wrong pacing could cost 20+mins. The unwanted pause can be positive, take a breather, lighten the load. After Ruth's advice I'm no longer anxious, Carb loading helps stock water and rincing a dry mouth works for me. You'll be fine.

Let taper madness begin! But will I see a difference? All the best.
  • Hi impish..... Nice to see your plodding along although slowly bless you..... Your a very patient woman!!!!.....

Hey Ruth.... The restaurant looks lovely.....!!! Good choice!!..... Ill eat anything, so if advised not to eat a big fat pizza..... Ill go for a pasta dish....!!!

As far as any nutritional worries..... I don't think so..... You have over the weeks been drip feeding me info..... So I feel pretty good!!!!.... Thank you!!!!!....
  • Hi Sarah.....!!! Well the foot I would say is 90% better..... The knee..... I'm aware of... Especially going up and down stairs and if I straighten my leg...... Although I still have not run on it..... Yes the plan yesterday was to go for a gentle mooch..... But alas..... Monday night..... Oh bruised toe I thought.... Strange..... It got more painful as the night wore on..... Painkillers at 4am.... Couldn't sleep.... Throbbing.... No one to cry to!!!!!..... Yes I am a sissy..... Got up Tuesday morning..... Big red throbbing big toe..... Unable to get shoes on.....!!!! Agggg

Is it an emergency the drs receptionist asks....??.. Well actually... yes!!!!!....So now no running for 48 hours.....as nail bed infection on big toe!!! ...Antibiotics and potassium permanganate to soak my toe in!!!!.... I now feel a total fraud...!!! And she has told me that wearing flip flops may not have helped my foot or knee.... So I have a flip flop ban....!!!! ..... What else is going to be taken away from me....??? No flip flops... No running!!!!.... Agghhhh!!!!!..... And a purple toe!!!!..... Pants..... This is fairly extreme tapering!!!......
  • Hi Oscar....!!! Nice to hear from you..... I couldn't forget for one second of one minute why I am running and I take Martin with me everywhere.... He will especially be in my heart on the 7th as he would be so proud and it breaks my heart just thinking he can't be there to share it......!! So bring on the 7th and everything it means and stands for..... X
  • Mel - I get the same feelings when i cuddle my newborn gran kids (7 and 4 months) cos Linda didn't get to see them but what comforts is something along the lines of the saying "don't be sad i've gone, be glad i was there" - rejoicing in the good times and memories is very warming and helps the "getting on with living a full life" which is what they would have wanted, nay, insisted we do - sorry for getting a bit deep (especially since i haven't posted for ages)

Getting excited about things is key and its fantastic you are doing Paris

Your toe etc WILL heal and get better and you WILL be ready for Paris - these are minor trials - you won't lose fitness if you don't run another mile before Paris

Anyway, your heart will get you through Paris

Best wishes. 

• Hi Mel, I'm sorry to read that you are having some foot and knees pains. Hopefully, the enforced rest will help and it will surely help your body recover after all the great training you have done over the last few months.  Your story is so inspirational that even with my fears of getting around the 26 miles I think I will have a lot to ponder on the streets of Paris. Hopefully our paths will cross on the day but if not I have no doubt you will conquer this challenge and have inspired lots of us on the forum to keep going.

• Oscarr - you have made me cry.

Mel - at least you have the hard work already done and just need to maintain so try and keep smiling!

• RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Oscarr - you have made me cry.

Sorry

• Hi Mel,

what a week you are having. While your toe is sore have you seen your lovely sports massage lady as a great time to iron out all those niggles especially into your back which is probably holding your hip flexor and quad tight causing the knee pain. Also walking funny with your toes won't have helped. Has the arch settled down now? Don't panic!!

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Hi Ruth,

I'm interfering (again). I'm in Paris the Thursday evening just before you arrive. If I can help then let me know, in box me. Alex is bringing weetabix but can get them here. Somethings or brands we can't get in France, like creme eggs. Of course shops in Paris but I live near hypermarkets. Bottled water, bananas!

I presume you're already sorted out. Good luck.

Hi image , Ruth has thought of everything, you even have a toilet in your room. :-P . Hope you're feeling better.
  • PC91! Thanks so much for offer - l will let you know if need some back up!

• Though the below might be useful information/reminders.  

• Before you travel really think though your nutritional needs for the Friday & Saturday - you be amazed how organised with snacks before you go will make sticking to your nutrition plan so much easier. Put yourself in control of what you snack on  - just takes a little thought  & organisation.
    • Don’t eat out of boredom, eat to plan.
    • Do not try any new nutritional strategies; stick to tried and tested foods. Do not be tempted to try any ‘freebies’ in your arrival bag/goodie bag before the race starts.
    •  Do not be tempted at hotel to eat anything too different at breakfast, remember you have Monday morning to eat what you like!

Race day: You should still drink little and often before the start but be careful about drinking too much because of nerves. If have dry mouth just wet your mouth with your drink to avoid an early pit stop but The race eating strategies do not need to be complicated but the foods or fluid must be tried and tested prior to event.

Post race – although you are not eating to refuel for next run you will  feel better the next day and protect immunity if you try and eat some carbs & protein as soon as you can. After race rehydrate also – 500ml as soon as you can can then sip for rest of day of fluid. If struggle to eat after race try sipping on a fluid with some carbohydrates in it such as a milkshake/smoothie/ice cream or a sports drink or cut food into small portions for example quarter a sandwich and just nibble on a quarter at a time (when no appetite large amounts of food can seem daunting so best to present yourself with small manageable amounts).

Here are some useful snacks with estimated  carbohydrate content that you can buy or travel with easily:

• 6” baguette with generous spread of  jam or honey: 70-75g carbs
    • 200ml carton of orange juice and 2 slices of malt loaf (pre-sliced size) – 60g
    • 250g sorbet – 50g carbs
    • Fruit scone  with lots of jam : 45-50g carbs
    • 200ml of orange juice = 20g carbs
    • 500ml of diluting juice or squash = 35-40g of carbs
    • 1litre of orange juice  = 100g carbs (could have over day)
    • 1 crumpet and teaspoon of jam plus 500ml of isotonic sports drink – 60g carbs
    • I hot cross bun and 200ml carton of fruit juice – 45g carbs
    • Bagel and generous spread of jam or honey – 50g carbs
    • 1 large banana  & 200ml of fruit juice 45-50g carbs
    • 250g of fruit salad & low fat yoghurt (the sort of think you can buy at station pre-packed before you broad train) – 50g
    • 6 jaffa cakes  (52g carbs)
    • Blueberry muffin – 56-65g carbs  (often high in fat as well)
    • Average cereal bar  (20-25g) & large banana total of  50-55g carbs
    • 500ml low fat milkshake = 45-50g  carbs (but again check label)
    • 150g 10-12jelly babies -  48g carbs
    • 30g of Fruit gums  -  27g carbs
    • 300ml drinking yoghurt = 35-40g carbs (but you can check label per 100ml)
    • snack pot of pasta, aim for tomato based sauce but should be around 40g of carbs (again if buying check label and make sure total fat is less than 5g)
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi Mel - sorry to hear about the toe/knee issues. I had a similar issue earlier in my training when I got an infected toe and tried to carry on and my uneven gait caused my knee to strain a little. I'm hoping your situation is indentical. i only missed a couple of days whilst the toe settled and then I found myself running normally again and the knee returned to normal.

You've trained brilliantly so a few days off here won't hurt especially since you are in the taper. The general niggles will soon recover.

Two weeks to go - can't wait to see how things go in Paris. I know you will have an amazing day and an amazing performance and your girls will be so proud of you.

You have the whole RW forum world willing you on!