RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Wow - I'm blown away guys .... sub 1.40's from Oirish & Carter. Big pat on the backs to both of you sirs! Great running - Carter I'm sure you are chuffed at that PB.

Bruno great 20 miler also - a tough race distance.

Glad all the training has paid dividends!
  • Crikey Carter! That was fast. Very well done!

• I had a double family christening to attend today and enjoyed several pints of Sir Arthur's finest at the shindig that followed image

Bank hol & day off tomorrow - start of a cut back week for me culminating in my HM on Saturday. In need of it after a 60 mile week (153 mile fortnight) which is a first for me image
  • Been to the pub for a few pints of the black stuff....

Carter - swap Tuesday's session for an easy run. If you're recovered, do a session on Thursday.

• Hey guys,

As the hours pass and the pints go past the happier I am with that run, Congrats to Carter for knocking it out of sight. Well done mate 

May I just say I'm trousered, happy St Pat's

• Oh one more thing; I haven't done a half that quick since I was 23 so I'd like to thank you all for your advice and support

• Oirish if I had done that time I'd be getting trousered too - enjoy!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Oirish - trousered is good. You've had a top day old lad.

Spoons - glad to see you getting back into the pub and the running (though not sure if you stopped going to the pub image )

Carl - well done mate. Enjoy your taper as you certainly deserve it with the running you have done. I'm confident of a really good time in Paris so don't overdo it, which I know you won't, and be strong and rested for the start line.

Ricky - 153 miles in 2 weeks is extremely impressive. Sir Arthur would be proud of you.

Rachel - thanks. I'm still going to kick your ass at Manchester though image

I'm knackered now. A very pleasing day for me because of my own run and the fact that all of us on this thread are doing really well. I'm finding it very motivating with everyone's stories of good runs, hard runs and our personal journeys towards our goals. Oh dear, the magners had made me go all soft ! Anyway, you have all helped me get to where I am at the moment so cheers. And to Mr Spoons for his very wise words image Roll on 3 weeks time so I can take or a bit easier, this first time marathon training is hard work for a bloke in his mid 40s you know !
  • carterusm wrote (see)

Ricky - 153 miles in 2 weeks is extremely impressive. Sir Arthur would be proud of you.

Ooops typo - that should have read 113 miles in 2 weeks image
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Morning all.

My official time for yesterday is 1:38:04 which is a PB by 7:43 (10th in the V45 age group - PRF from the Kier/PRF thread was first in this category - I met him before the race and hada quick chat ).

So, a rest day for me today, well deserved in my opinion image The legs ache just a little bit but not to bad. My knee is hurting a bit but some rest and rollering will soon sort that out. The next couple of runs are going to be easy paced with possibly a speed session on Thursday depending how I feel. Saturday's LSR is 20 miles with 5 @ MP. Total mileage for the week aims to be 50.

Manchester - 5 weeks on Sunday

Paris - 2 weeks on Sunday

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

113 ? That's rubbish then image

• carterusm wrote (see)
    I'm knackered now. A very pleasing day for me because of my own run and the fact that all of us on this thread are doing really well. I'm finding it very motivating with everyone's stories of good runs, hard runs and our personal journeys towards our goals. Oh dear, the magners had made me go all soft ! Anyway, you have all helped me get to where I am at the moment so cheers. And to Mr Spoons for his very wise words image Roll on 3 weeks time so I can take or a bit easier, this first time marathon training is hard work for a bloke in his mid 40s you know !

Here! Here!

God this screen is bright image 

I feel grand from the neck down and once my toast, coffee and aspirin breakfast has settled down I should be back on track. My local bar decided to reduce Guinness to £2.50 a pint yesterday. So a few of us runners got in there for a celebratory session,  I was the only one who had done one before so as you can imagine everyone was buzzing. A good day all around.

I hope everyone is feeling good after their weekend

• Hi all

Happy St Paddy's day for yesterday image Oirish - I hope by now your head has caught up with the rest of you!

Sounds like everyone is having a lot of success with their running!  I did my first full week last week following my training plan which was fab.  Physio says leg is getting better but is still a little sore at time but strong enough to run on.

I was given some advice from a guy who works in our local running shop, he has been running for 40 odd years.  He suggested (as I only have 5 weeks left to the marathon) that I build up my long runs to the bog race rather than taper.  Something like: 8-10M, 10-11, 11-12, 13-15, 16-17, 18-20 then race.  This worked for me last year as my last few weeks before my marathon I ran 16, 16, 20, 20, 23, then race.

Spoons - what do you think?  I actually went out last night to run 8-10 but felt good so did 12.3.  I felt great afterwards ( a little soreness but nothing an ice cold batch couldn't sort out!).  Also if I did 12M yesterday, is it too much of a jump to 16 next weekend? 

Feels so great to be back but I'm treading carefully just incase my calf turns against me again image

• Dobster - it's better than not running over 16 miles that's for sure. Is your goal to just get round?

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Dobster - good to hear from you again. Good news about the calf, dont overdo things on you should be raring to go on the start line

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

A rest day for me today and just finished rollering, or is it rolling ?? Why is it thst your legs dont hurt until you get off the bloomin thing ?

On Saturday I went to buy some new trotters in preperation for the big day. I had the full gait analysis done and it was quite interesting. Firstly I got on  a stand with a glass base and stood there in my bare feet, this was to find which parts of my feet were touching the ground. Then the chap moulded some inserts into the shape of my foot which, when put into the trainers, would give me extra support. Firtsly I picked a pair of Asic Gel Nimbus and ran on the treadmill while my running was filmed. When it was played back to me it was quite interesting to see that my right foot is dead straight, neutral. However, my left foot 'collapsed' inwards when it landed, over pronate I believe. The chap said that while my left foot was between neutral and mild pronate he thought a support shoe would be more appropriate. So I tried some Brooks Ravenna 3's on and was filmed again. The right foot was still neutral and this time the left foot only very slightly over pronated. It was also interesting for me to see that when I land on my heel the angle at landing isnt anywhere near as bad/steep as I thought it was. So, the Brooks were on offer so I bought them and decided to try the inserts as well. £45 the inserts were which I thought was a bit steep but it is a special occasion so I thought why not.

Anyway, I'm sure all of you have gone through this before but I havent so I thought I would tell you all about my trip to the shop !

• Good luck with the new shoes / inserts. I would suggest you don't run in them all the time to start with until you get used to them. It's possible that the change in running style is significant and you my start using muscles you weren't using. You don't want to get an injury.....

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Really, while the chap in the shop said not to run in them yesterday (obviously) he failed to mention the possible change in style. Would you suggest I leave the inserts out until after Manchester then or have I got enough time to get used to them ?

• I would have a go but don't use them on every run. Just try them out on your easy runs at first and see how you get on.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Ok, cheers for that.

I see you've been getting a few runs in recently. Do you think you will be able to race soon or is your plan to keep slowly building back up again ?

• Carter - if it was me I wouldn't contemplate a change in trainer make & model (never mind with inserts) until after Manchester.

I wear custom orthotic inserts in stability shoes and have done a lot of reading up/research - the horror stories of people who did what you are contemplating are well documented. Most seem to pick up injuries in the process of adapting to them.

As Spoons says  -  you run a risk of picking up an injury or niggle while the muscles get used to the differing stresses & strains.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Hmm. I started off this training campaign in Adidas Supernova Glide 3's and they were brilliant. A couple of months ago I changed to the Glide 4's and they are nowhere near as good as the 3's. I've checked tinterweb and couldnt find anywhere that sold the 3's anymore. I think the 4's will possibly last me until MAnchester, by then they will have hot around the 500 mile mark but if I alternate between them and the Brooks then 1) there will be less miles on the Adidas and 2) I will find out if I get on with the Brooks.

Thanks for the comments though, very interesting

• Slowly slowly for me. Gradually building base at the minute. No rush. Tortoise and the hare?

• Carter, I had the same gait analysis and insoles made last May, as I developed symptoms of Plantar-thingy-bobby. After being "aware" of them in my trainers for a couple of weeks, I would honestly say they changed my life! I've had no problems at all since! I look forward to hearing how you find them!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Cheers Rachel - I'm going to give them a test run at lunchtime today with an easy 6 miles
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

So, the plan was an easy 6 miles to see how the new trotters and inserts went. After plenty of time on the foam roller since Sunday my knee felt fine this morning. However, after my very first step my knee started giving me some grief again. The new shoes seemed ok although they felt a bit closer to the ground at the toe, which is strange as there is meant to be more support at the front. Anyhow, I cut my run down to about 3 miles.

• hmmm - a bit worrying. Have you seen anyone about this? A physio or sports massage person?

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

OK. Need a bit of advice.

You will recall that I kept saying I as tired last week. Well from Sunday through to today I have been feeling rough and decied after lunch today that a trip to the Doctors was needed. Paris is just around the corner and looks like my flu has come back to bite me at a very bad time. I have just not been myself the last day or so.

I seemed to have recovered after the first bout and ran quite well including the HM.

After examining me, Doctor concluded that chest is clear so it must be a virus. He has however presecribed a week of antibiotiocs and as myuch rest as I can get bearing in mind I have a marathon that I seem to want to run.

I am in week 1 of my taper and I was planning normal distance midweek runs this week with a 12 mile LSR on Saturday. Tonight was going to be a tempo run but I am taking tonight off.

My brain is going into overdrive about how this is going to have a major impact on my race and maybe it will and maybe it wont.

I am worried about having too many days off but know that I need a day or so of rest to recover as a minimum and probably more.

What do you all suggest I do. image

• Carl, rest ffs.  You can't do too little during your taper but you can do too much, and that's certainly true when you're ill.  If you overdo it this week it'll have a much bigger effect on your marathin than taking it light this week.  You can always do the tempo run on week 2 of taper if you're recovered - normal midweek runs in week 2 of a 3 week taper is fine, just don't, whatever you do, do more than normal to try & make up missed miles.

Unfortunately taper time is when everyone worries about every detail affecting their race, but the truth is that your hard work was all done weeks ago.  If you did nothing between now and race day you'd still put out a good performance, but your head is still in the 'I need to run' mode that got you this far.