my very first run/walk ever today

Hi there. Im very new to this site and to runing. I been thinking about wanting to run for afew months now. I finally built up the courage on sunday for my first ever run at the young age of 42.. I didnt know where to begin. I felt silly but yet had such a desire to want to run. So i did for all of about a minute then walked then ran. In total i was out about 25 minutes and.my shins hurt and i felt stiff as if my legs just didnt want to do it. I have recently moved to a quite rural area an see people running all the time. They run with such ease and grace like they just glide along. Thats how i want to be.. Any advice or tips please

Comments

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭
    First of all, congratulations! You must feel great having done your first run. Yay!

I'm no expert on running. But, having made mistakes, I would say:

Build up slowly

Give yourself achievable goals

Get fitted for good shoes

Buy something waterproof to run in (nothing worse than being cold and wet)

And most of all: enjoy it and feel proud! You'll make improvements in no time.

(p.s.i've been running for 7 years and still wish I looked like i glide along gracefully like those 'serious' runners. I think I look like that. And then sadly get a glimpse of myself in a reflection somewhere.........)
  • Check out a couch to 5k plan - there's lots of them about and they'll take you through easily enough. It can be tempting to go too quick.

Take it easy.

When you know you're really going to run a lot, and stick with it, get some proper shoes - go to a proper shop that will analyse your gait.

Most of all, enjoy yourself! Run for the pleasure of it, even if you're never as graceful as the people you've seen, the fact that you're out there moving is great in itself!

• 1. Shoes

2. Shoes

3. Shoes

Then build up slowly, don't go too far or too fast initially.

• 42 - you are a kid, I started at 46 last August and just ran Reading Half.

Get your shoes fitted properly.

Set a goal a long way off and work towards it.

My first three months I don't think I ever got past 3 miles and ran/walked most of the 2 milers I did but suddenly a 4 pops up and you feel great, then a 5 and you cannot walk for days but the more you do the better you get to a point where I did 4 5 milers and a 10 in one week.

Keep at a pace you are happy with and remember there are people who never get off the sofa so you are faster than most.

• Amen to all of that, and well done for starting. Too much too quickly will lead to injury and/or getting pissed off with it - but you will be surprised how quickly you get better and will be able to run for longer periods. Set yourself small goals, and remember that you don't have to run every day - rest is important too. Good luck with it all.

• ashley louis wrote (see)
    Hi there. Im very new to this site and to runing. I been thinking about wanting to run for afew months now. I finally built up the courage on sunday for my first ever run at the young age of 42.. I didnt know where to begin. I felt silly but yet had such a desire to want to run. So i did for all of about a minute then walked then ran. In total i was out about 25 minutes and.my shins hurt and i felt stiff as if my legs just didnt want to do it. I have recently moved to a quite rural area an see people running all the time. They run with such ease and grace like they just glide along. Thats how i want to be.. Any advice or tips please

By the by... not all the great runners or the good club runners do run gracefully or with style. Many do, but it's not an absolute requirement. Paula Radcliffe's 'style' is painful to look at; Michael Johnson ran far too upright. Going back into history, Emil Zatopek ran with his head thrown back and looked in pain all the time - but he won an unprecedented triple Olympic gold in 1952 of 5k, 10k and marathon. You will have your own style and it'll suit you fine.

• I folowed a runners world plan. 0 - 10k in six weeks. Took me longer than that as i struggled with some weeks. But itvwas pretty much run/walk twice a week, plus one 'long' run. Which was 60minutes after 6 weeks (or about 9 or 10) get some decent shoes, i paid ??70 for mine inc gait anslysis. And run slowly enouhg that you can keep gping!
  •  

ashley louis wrote (see)
    They run with such ease and grace like they just glide along. Thats how i want to be.. Any advice or tips please

You will see this in any race just as you are flagging someone will drift past with a smile and a skip in their step runners call these people b***ards  image