The Middle Ground

Comments

• Cheers Kelly/SG and Wardi!

Kelly, reckon we are about the same level when both right ( maybe you better at longer and me shorter? ). Of course, you being the fairer of the species I lose all round!

I agree, we've been blighted recently and it would be nice to have some of the thread's ' consistent consistency' just to see if there is any potential left ( for me anyhow, you are still a whippersnapper! )

Wardi, fingers crossed fella.

And last but not least, SG...thought I'd come back as I've missed your whinging!image
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

image Dash you cheeky dastard.

Sometimes I wish i wasn't so damm competitive, as the results today have shaken me up, and I want to get out there and smash something up image

• You wouldn't remember Stu Francis...ooh I could crush a grape!
  • WJH, pMP running would be good to add in if you don't already. Agree with Kelly that 7:51/m is not MP if you ran 20+ at it in training.

stevie, who's the girl who ran 1:20? 

Good news the nerve problem has subsided Wardi. We're due more snow here this week and suddenly I'm wondering if my 800 on Sunday is even going to go ahead. Last year it was blazing hot for it image 

This morning was me well out of my comfort zone - 4.9M w/2.62M @ 6:08/m. Aim was for a hard yet controlled effort, and I reckon it came out around 10k intensity (2.6M was because I ran out of path before a main road).

Run entirely to feel, the first half mile at 5:45/m probably wasn't ideal and the course was a net uphill of just over 120ft. Not bad at all image

• Evening all. Dubliners excellent, rugby rubbish but congrats to WJH and the Welsh on a fully deserved win. WJH celebrating with some good running too it seems, peaking nicely for the marathon.

Hard lines with the sub-20 effort yesterday, Curly - dismal day weather wise, definitely not PB conditions, so a good effort methinks.

Good stuff from Duck and his gf this weekend.

The slow coach (in his own mind) seems to be hitting some decent paces again now on the comeback trail. Yep, looking at you, Dash! Speaking of comebacks, good to hear of more progress for Alehouse.

Hard lines to Kelly on the continuing XC struggles - the road season awaits you! Hope it brings better things.

Hope that nerve trouble stays away, Wardi - was snowing heavily in Northampton this morning too as we headed home. Quite possibly the biggest snowflakes I've seen in my life, quite mesmeric as you're trying to concentrate on driving with biscuit sized snowflakes flying towards you!

Easy 3.5 miles before we set off yesterday for me in some craptastic weather, and delayed my long run today to let the worst of the weather blow over. Wasn't bad by the time I did get out there, calm and quite bright though still very cold. Pushed it out to another longest run to date at 9.5 miles. Significantly (20 seconds/mile) quicker than last week's effort but for no greater perceived effort which pleased me - though conditions were worse last week. Averaged 8:48 across the run, started a little quickly at 8:36 pace for the first 2 miles, with the next 6 between 8:54 and 8:57 bar an 8:59 into the wind out around the rowing lake and 8:51 coming back with at my back. Put in a final complete mile of 8:24...just because.

Time for some sleep!
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

WJH ?!? What was the thinking behnd such a speedy 20 miler? Did you do it in sections? Yes definitely dont do another quality one now.

Kelly nice running though, think of all the strength you'll be gaining from the XC though. Cant wait to see you racing on the road though, should be exciting.

Alehouse thats good news!

Dash some good paces there.

Duck good run from the GF, the coaching is paying off! 800 this coming weekend then?

Speaking of track runners... where is Simon of late?

Ouch Wardi hope the test run went okay yesterday.

BBB cardinal rule no.1: do not increase distance and speed at the same time... glad you enjoyed the run, but keep it easy at new long distances in future.

21 for me yesterday done unusually in the evening, pace was 9:02, but it was quite tough. Seem to have a minor bug, as does OH, nothing too crazy though but explains the lack of response from the legs on Saturday too. Had a bad night from restless legs, but feeling a lot better already this morning, better to get any bugs out of the way now eh image

I'm thinking on the same lines for the crap weather recently too!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

WJH - if you want to be ultra conservative I'll let you get away with that being first-half pace, on the way to a target negative split, otherwise that's not marathon pace. image Oh and well done on the rugby. Definitely the better team on the day.

Dash - onwards and upwards. (Ooh, I could rip a tissue!)

Alehouse - Nice run, great to see.

Curly - More solid miles. As for the bug, there's a lot of it about... image

So, Finchley 20 for me yesterday.  Looking at the stats, my race looks like it went according to plan (almost). 1st V40, 11th place overall, finish time, er, ~2hrs* image including a steady 5 miles @ ~6:20, followed by 15M @ 5:54/m. It's not quite that simple though. I woke up on Saturday morning feeling pretty ropy, with a sore throat and fuzzy head. Spent most of the day either talking myself in or out of the race, went for a 4 mile test jog during the afternoon which didn't settle things either way (didn't feel great but breathing seemed OK and wasn't coughing anything up). Obviously decided to go for it in the morning and told myself it was a four lap race so I could always pull out if it wasn't feeling great... by half way round I was still going OK but then it gradually started feeling a little harder, especially breathing, and I was fighting an ongoing battle between stubbornly sticking to pace or trying to approximate marathon effort. Given that I wasn't 100% I decided that trying to approximate marathon effort was meaningless and I might as well just get to the end.

*About that finish time.  Working out my pacing strategy pre-race it was looking rather handily like I'd be squeezing under the 2 hour mark, if my 5 mile "warm-up" was lively enough, so I had half an eye on BR's very impressive 20 mile time from a couple of years ago of 1:59:59 (not even his PB; 1:59:22 two years earlier). I thought I'd paced it perfectly in the end, convinced that the clock had ticked over to the 59 secs as I hit the line, but there was clearly a start clock/finish clock sync issue, cos they've given my time as 2:00:01.  D'oh!  (Still quite an elegant set of numbers though, prf? image)

So I'm a little disappointed that the race doesn't tell me anything new about what a good target pace might be, but pleased with myself that I stuck it out. Still a little groggy today, so definitely cotton wool time. I've even skipped Monday spin class.

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Phil sorry you arent feeling well but well run - I think you did the right thing pacing wise (bar the few extr seconds!), no point going on effort if you arent 100% as it would be too low pace wise and not give you the feedback you wanted. Shame about not being deicded about MP now!

I'm not feeling ill as such, just tired and have a small occassional cough. Thats it really, no temperature, no stuffy nose. 3.5 @ 8:54 this morning helped ease out the legs anyway and tonight I have Italian cheese and wine to test and learn about while getting paid. Life's tough eh image

• ioweriower ✭✭✭

Hi All, I've been reading through a fair bit of this thread and it seems a good place for me to dip my toe in! I don't follow any structured training at the moment but try to do a combination of speed work and tempo runs through the week, probably totalling around 15 miles at the moment, with a longer run added in the run up to longer races.

Times at the moment look like this: 5k 21:14, 10k 42:36, 10m 71:03, 1/2 99:41

The 10k/mile times are a better reflection of where I am as the 5k was a muddy multi terrain course, and the half was with few long training runs. I was hoping to improve my 5k time at the weekend and get it closer to 20 minutes (have run 20:30 in training) but the weather was awful so didn't bother!

I know the best thing for me would be to gradually build the mileage up and include a regular long run which i've been meaning to do for a while, but as i've started running again halfway through my local league season i've been concentrating on one race at a time and havn't been able to get a decent base in first.

I've got a 10k this sunday (Eastleigh) then one more 10k and 10 mile race on the 12th and 19th May for the last races of the season which i'm doing, and hope to pb at each.

Any tips for training I can do during those few weeks?

• Phil - Very nice effort on the numbers. What with Jools's 1:23:45 last week, LS21's 1:19:59 yesterday and your 'almost' 2:00:00 this is a very pleasing numerical period image

I dont think there is anything in yesterday's run that suggests that 2:34:56 isnt entirely within your scope. Save the 2:22:22 for next year image

Duck - Looking forward to hearing from Strathclyde. To be fair, we have a group that will probably do it anyway but it would be good to join people who know where they're going and the courses.

Alehouse - In the context of the last few months that is a very impressive run. Isnt it amazing what patience brings? image

Kelly - There is always a love/hate relationship with XC. I think you may have ventured into the latter camp for a while image

Curly - You arent half knocking on the door of that sub 20. But then again the marathon is the main focus at the moment so good long running. image

So it looks like it was all your shitty southern weather that resulted in Dewsbury having the fastest parkrun in England on Saturday. It will probably never happen again!

Dash - looks like some decent speed nippiness developing in those old legs of yours image

Got a 13.1 miler in at 2:44 marathon pace yesterday so pretty happy that the Red lion pint is going to be consumed on the back of a reasonable run at least

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    DASH RIPROD wrote (see)
    You wouldn't remember Stu Francis...ooh I could crush a grape!

He beat me in my first Chester HM back int he 1980s... image

Very nice 13.1 PRF image

My 13.2M yesterday was somewhat more sedate.

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Afternoon everyone. Back to work today after a pretty decent weekend. …decent 20 miler as noted, rugby (sorry to rub it in again image ) and a steady 4 mile easy paced jog last night in a nice new pair of Asics I bought on Saturday – was served by a speedy young chap with huge potential who is well known locally down my way who finished 4th and under 31 minutes at Eastleigh last year! The mind boggles at that!

Curly – in answer to why I did my long run at that sort of pace, it all comes down to confidence after previous marathon experiences (as noted previously). On another side though, I do appreciate it is a bit of a risk running that sort of pace continuously for what’s meant to be a LSR so pleased (touch wood) to have come through it unscathed!  Then again, I haven’t paced myself over a 20 mile race this year so in some respects it is perhaps a similar sort of session!

As both Duck and you have pointed out, a more conventional LSR is required next time round as the last big one before the taper – time on feet will be the priority here. Talking of which Curly, very decent and more sensible LSR there and hope the bug clears up. imageHave you narrowed down to an intended marathon target time yet???

Talking of others not around for a bit, YP hasn’t posted so much recently….I hope his MK marathon preparations are still on track and if he is still doing Eastleigh next weekend?

Dash – read through your paces again and the penny dropped that is actually a very strong session considering it’s a comeback! Two tempo sections in a run like that does sounds very tough indeed!  

Wardi – that’s not good with the leg…how are the ribs now?

BBB – congrats on the longest run yet! I can’t preach too much about pacing considering my at times unorthodox training but slower and further for the long runs is the way forward image

That’s a very strong 20 miler there Phil! Shame about the milestone time but in another way that’s still an eye catching set of numbers! image Were your HR readings affected at all by feeling a bit groggy?  As for marathon plans, I think I will go with what you are all saying but up the pace over the last 6 miles if I have the legsimage…very experienced runners like Kelly, Curly nor yourself can’t be wrong on these things! Two of my colleagues in my office run in the same club…one of them is telling me to be more conservative and aim for a PB (e.g. under 4 hours) since he has seen me blow up in previous longer distance races (although back then I didn’t have enough of a base to build things up). I guess it will all come down to on the day factors too whereby anything can happen (either good or bad!).   

Hi there iower – are you a local runner down in Hampshire? Also at Eastleigh on Sunday (as noted) and would I be right in assuming those races are the Netley Abbey 10k and Alton 10 miler? I have found picking up my mileage (largely the result of marathon training) has helped me to improve my times more recently!  I think Eastleigh will be a good indication of recent progress if the weather or more to the point the wind holds off!  image

Great pacing there PRF! Not in 2:44:42 MP though? image

Probably no time to post now up until post Eastleigh having just found out I have an interview for a new job next week! Agghhh! Just as well it’s a cut back week then!

• Interesting chat on the carb load WHJ, 20 miles at MP isn’t doable in training, so 7:51 aint MP!!!

Curly – hard lines on the parkrun, but as you have quite rightly said you might be due a period of consolidation with a few 20:0x and 20:1x’s before you smash through.
    Fingers crossed the bug is nothing other than a bit of accumulated fatigue.

Nice tempoing Duck

As Stevie says Dash, 3.45m and then 3m @ 6:30 – 6:40/m is hardly dossing. Good training that

Alehouse – good news on the de-benching

Kelly – those XC races will stand you in good stead, but you know that already image . Look forward to catching up on Sunday.

I was in York yesterday afternoon Wardi and some of those snowflakes were massive! It’s laid pretty thick in Harrogate (work) did it settle overnight?
    Good news the sciatica didn’t set in btw.

BBB I agree with Curly, don’t increase pace and length in one go!!!

Phil – shame about the lurgy putting a shadow on proceedings but running to PE was the smart call, well done. Still it seems to me like you have a good idea what MP is and you have plenty excellent training in the bag, cotton wool time for sure, at least for this week.  
    Out of interest what was your HR doing yesterday?

iower – simple, run more and keep most of it easy. In fact do what we are telling BBB to do and you wont go far wrong.

Good to see Dr Dan checking in again.

Apologies up front doom and gloom to follow…….

• It’s official I am out of the Manchester Marathon, sent off my deferral yesterday and have had the confirmation through today. I don’t think I will be running Edinburgh either as this injury isn’t showing any signs of improving soon + it looks as though we are going on holiday from the 16th to the 23rd May, Edinburgh is on the 26th, so not ideal to be away from home in the lead up.
    I plan on running an Autumn Marathon now, Chester, Abingdon or Yorkshire are my three preferences. The Yorkshire Marathon is full but I am on the waiting list, Abo is full but it sounds like spots become available quite frequently.

As for the injury, it’s frustrating as it feels like a minor injury but it just isn’t getting any better. I am seeing the physio again tonight, though I am going to break things off with him as I cant afford to keep seeing him at £45 a time + the drive into Leeds. I am going to give the NHS a shot and just work on glute, hip and core strength in the meantime.

As for maintaining fitness, I am at a bit of a loss, I can run a bit still not sure if I should carry on running. I went for a short bike ride on Sat to test my legs out and the hamstring didn’t complain so I will do some bike riding, though I was in a right sulk on Saturday and didn’t enjoy it one bit!
    I am borrowing a turbo trainer off a mate so I can get in some harder sessions to help maintain aerobic fitness. Some turbo session advice would be good, be aware my cycling legs are quite weak at the moment (lots of quad ache on Sat) so I might have to do shorter sessions at first while I build up.

Gym is a no go, as I am not going to sign up for a £30+ per month membership, though I might try to find a spinning class where I can pay on a PAYG basis.
    Any other ideas?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

iower - Hello!  You're right, I'd say a sensible increase in mileage would be your best bet generally, keeping your "speedwork and tempo runs" working around your 10k - 10 mile pace range.  Stick around.

YD - You doom and gloom all you want fella. I've DNS'd enough marathons to have an inclination about how you're feeling, but to get as far as you have into marathon training... it's in there for waking up in the Autumn, mind.  In the mean time, I hope I can help out with constructive advice on the cross-training.

Re: turbo, a lot of it is applying your knowledge of training principles from running and transferring over. You'll want to start off with some steady efforts building up the time, start with maybe 15-20 mins, maintain about 90rpm (not that you need to count; basically a fairly good clip on lightish resistance). Build up to an hour if possible, then start adding in some efforts, e.g. 45 mins including 2 x 10 mins where you go up a gear or two, enough to get the breathing a little more laboured (equivalent to MP rather than LT??)  This might build over time to my classic 60 mins incl. 2 x 20mins ~threshold. "Proper" cyclists might vary sessions by playing about with cadence and resistance to dramatic degrees to work on different elements of pedalling economy, leg power, etc. but tbh for x-training purposes, putting together different sessions is as much about staving off boredom than anything else! 

Notice I'm not talking HR stats here - by all means monitor this so that you get used to what your HR is doing compared to running, but I've got no idea just how far out the discrepancy might be for you.  PE is your guide to finding out really.

Essential equipment: large fan, large towel (draped over bike/handlebars), audio-visual distraction (me: telly / TR: garage wall?? image) And cycling shorts if you've got any.  Numb bum is often a problem with the constant seating position, but there is an element of HTFU to that as well, unfortunately!

Speaking of HR, WJH/YD, another minor annoyance yesterday was my HR monitor going doo-lally again, for extended periods in the middle of the run, so not only is it no good for pacing purposes, it even fecks up stats to look at afterwards.  During the times it appeared to show feasible readings, my best guess is that HR was starting out around 165 (spot-on) but then drifting in line with the increase in PE, up to around 169-170 for the final few miles.  That's still short of HR for a HM but at least it wasn't going off the chart (well, except for when it was saying 207 FFS!) I'm either going to have to sort this out with another device or just ditch it altogether for VLM if it's gonna be a distraction rather than a useful tool.

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Ow do.

Just procrastinating at work and popped in to see YD's post re Abingdon. I can def get you a number if you want one? I persuaded Jock Itch to enter and he's been cursing me ever since! Said I owe it to him to get someone to take his number (they allow swaps) - so if you fancy it there'll def be a number there. But if you wanted to leave the decision til nearer the time then you'll definitely get a number from someone. There'll be loads available either via here or Fetch from August time onwards. Good luck anyway mate, hope you're back to it soon image

• Curly / YD - Point taken on the speeding up of the long run. image Not something I'd considered or was really aware of, but does make sense. In my defence last week's run included 2.5 slower miles with a pal who is even earlier on his running journey than I am, on peeling off from him my next 2 miles were into the teeth of a sleet ridden 20mph north-easterly, and on the trudge home from that furthest point out, I was feeling the niggles I struggled with for the next couple of days. Perceived effort was genuinely no greater, possibly less, yesterday. Better safe than sorry though, and won't exceed yesterday's pace next time I extend the length of the long run to 10 miles. Hope the bug amounts to nowt, Curly. Enjoy the 'medicinal' cheese and wine later. 

Impressive performance in the Finchley 20, Phil. Even more so with your own bug, and another V40 win under the belt. Top stuff.

Hello to iower - great place to be for both cribbing off others, and getting some guidance where required along the way. Be prepared to be sent to the naughty corner if you get carried away though as is my wont occasionally - see above! image

Good stuff from PRF as ever, and good luck with the interview next week, WJH!

YDimage Bad times, chap. Hope it turns for you sooner rather than later.

Rest day for me today. Johnny Marr gig and a few beers at The Leadmill in Sheffield tonight. 

Finally. Quick question if I can. Looking at doing an even paced tempo run on Wednesday. Probably 4 miles after my warm up. How do others approach this? Straight from warm up into the tempo phase, or a breather after the warm up to go into the quicker paces as fresh as you can? Ta very muchly.

• ioweriower ✭✭✭

Thanks for the help so far peeps, seems the general consensus it to add more easy miles as planned. I'll wait until i've got this week out of the way then add an easy run and slow down the other run for a bit, building the distance up a bit each week. When I say tempo, I mean around 10 mile pace ('steady' then?), but not too fixed. This is normally hilly so pace tends to fluctuate a little bit from run to run. Speedy stuff is normally repititions at 5k or 10k pace, with a parkrun thrown in every now and then.

WJH - I am in Hampshire, from the Isle of Wight infact (hence the name - i.o.w'er). Yea it's the last two HRRL races at Alton and Netley i've got planned. That will be my 7 minimum races to qualify for the final league position which should be interesting to see where I am. I didn't manage it last year as I suffered from shin splints which I decided to rest for a while after eastleigh (ended up being the whole summer!). Hopefully it won't be too bad weather-wise this year, better than the -4*c and snow at Stubbington earlier this year I should think!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

BBB - Straight into the tempo I say, no point fannying around!  (All the more reason to keep the warm-up nice and easy.)

I had an invite to see Jonny Marr on Friday but decided it wouldn't fit into my pre-race plans.  My mate is a big Smiths fan and was very impressed with the gig.  No spoilers for you, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

...Dammit!  Here's a digression for you.  You've just reminded me how much weight I can put on when I'm injured.  Who did I bump into in Brighton in May 2010 during the Great Escape festival, taking time out from gigging with The Cribs? If you're wondering what we're looking at, he's just handed me a plectrum with "Jonny" written on it. image

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/28842_393635856805_2341509_n.jpg

• Nice one! How did that come about? Assume he wasn't just wandering along the promenade handing them out to all and sundry?!

It's my mate who is the big Smiths fan too, so similar situation to you. I couldn't stand them when I was younger, I thought Morrissey was a weirdo, and whilst I was probably right, I've come to appreciate their music a lot more as I've got older. Johnny Marr's gone on to do plenty of other stuff since then of course, much of which I quite like with Electronic and The Cribs, and his new album The Messenger is excellent too. He can't sing, but there's some cracking tunes on there - looking forward to it, and yes, I've sneaked a look at Setlist a couple of times, so looks like he's been throwing in some nostalgia amongst the new stuff. 

Cheers for your thoughts on the tempo run - straight into it, it is then. 

• Blimey Phil, nice moobs image

Thanks for the turbo advice. I had a chat with a cyclist at work and his advice was very similar. Lighter resistance to start with, after a while see if I can get into the 80 – 85% range i.e. Marathon Effort. Then as I advance add in some variation with gear changes and such like.
    One of the problems with being a skinny runner and having under developed glutes is cycling is uncomfortable! HTFU as you say, though I do have some padded shorts and the laptop will have to suffice for the audio visual stimulus.
    A shame about the HR monitor at Finchley. As for legs feeling fine breathing feeling hard work then that is good IMO as it can be easily explained away. Do you have any other long races planned to test MP out?

LS21 thanks for the offer, I will give it some serious thought and will get back to you shortly.

BBB – enjoy the Leadmill tonight, been D&D in there a few times myself image
    As for the tempo, no hard and fast rule. I tend to save progressive tempos for longer efforts, so I would do 4 miles as an even paced effort. As Phil says no point fannying around, just make sure you have a good warm up.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Big_Bad_Bob wrote (see)

Nice one! How did that come about? Assume he wasn't just wandering along the promenade handing them out to all and sundry?!

Yeah, basically.  The whole band were out for a stroll!  It's a great festival - you get a ticket for the whole weekend to see oodles of bands in different venues. The Cribs were one of the bigger bands but loads of muso types casually wandering around Brighton for the weekend.  Also, he probably gets asked for his autograph/picture taken, more than being asked for a plectrum, but I do play guitar (not very well) so it's a practical collection!

YD - The only races I've got left are a 10 miler which I'll be racing all-out, and road relays which are over shorter distances anyway. Tbh, Finchley on a good day would only have seen me fine-tuning some ideas on pace strategy, or more accurately a race time predictor, because ultimately I'll be running according to feel. Given that ALL of my MP runs have been within an 8 secs/mile range, I think that's tied down pretty well.  It suggests I may as well target sub-2:35 whatever happens, but if the pace starts getting closer to 2:30 I should take advantage of feeling comfortable and reign it in.

• BBB - I don't do much tempo running at the moment. If I'm doing a block of MP running, I'll just do it continuously, with no stopping. A typical session would be 2m easy, 1m steady, 1m of strides (about 6 strides with jog between), then straight into 6 or 7 MP, then mile or so cool down.

If I'm doing intervals, I'll do the same warm up, then stop for as long as it takes to reset my watch and start a pre programmed workout, like 12x400m w/60s rec, or 5 x 0.75m HMP/0.25m steady, as I like to split the run and look at my stats and makes my avg pace look betterimage

YD - tough call. I know how it feels, but you'll be back. I hate these things that linger on, but don't seem totally serious in itself. Hope you get it sorted soon.

I've decided not to do the XC on Saturday. It is a shame as I've done all the others, but I'm so far back from being a counter, or preventing another team from being a counter, so no matter how I run, I'll make no team contribution. I'll go and support as it would take a disaster not to win the title. It is apparently the toughest course of the season and I know it will wreck any chance of a decent attempt at Thirsk, even if I say I'm just going to "jog" it. 9 or 10 XC races over nearly 5 months is good enough for being a team player.

I reserve the right to disagree that XC is good for you. PRF - it is definitely a hate relationship right now. Nah, once the cumulative muscle fatigue gets out of the system, I'm sure everything else will feel great by comparison. Funny how I thought it was brilliant when I was at my peak image. I'm pretty sure my toenails will thank me for it being over too. Silver lining already - I ran my last XC on Sat and didn't know it!

In other news, I have my second set of lung tests on Monday at the Uni and will find out definitively what the score is and all the scientific numbers, also my allergy trigger results.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Kelly - I'm giving the xc a miss this weekend too for much the same reasons. Your team have done well. I'm hoping to come down to the parkrun in Easter Saturday (if the snow buggers off!) so hopefully catch you there.
  • I'm having (another) strop about the weather. Snow flutters again, hail and torrential rain for the last few hours. I have one leak in Ben's room and one in my conservatory. Blah.

I'll see you then. I'm doing some kind of relay race, just short, on Good Friday, but wouldn't be adverse to a concerted effort at parkrun.
  • Interesting to find out the results of your lung tests Kelly. Do you expect to find anything out that you don’t already know?
    Smart call on the xc btw, stop complaining about the weather, at least you can run image

Phil – reading on the sub 3 thread, it seems like you might have some 2:35 companions anyway, assuming you decide that you want companions. Either way, 2:35 sounds about right from what you have been posting. Leave that 2:30 itch for next year.  

LS21 - I am tempted with the Abingdon offer, I am seeing a clubmate and regular training partner tomorrow, he was talking about doing Chester in the autumn but I might try to talk him round to doing Abingdon with me. If so I will get back to you, still means we need to find another number but that doesnt sound hard. 

Physio session was interesting tonight. At first he started out by testing the strength of my hamstring, laying on my front with leg in hamstring curl position, he held my foot in various positions whilst I pressed against his hand. Strength was good and no discomfort from the hamstring. I then went on a treadmill and got no discomfort what so ever from the hamstring or round the back of the knee.  I only ran for 5 minutes, but on my last test run on Friday night the hamstring pain was on well before 5 minutes. He then went on to test my glute and adductor strength and he seemed impressed with the strength in both muscles. So he gave me a load of more advanced glute and adductor exercises to build further.

So the plan is, for me to start with a short test run tomorrow, as little as a mile to begin with and build whilst maintaining the core and strength regime daily. He stressed that I should not run with any discomfort what so ever. As I build the running the daily core work can drop back to eventually become a twice weekly routine when I am back in full running training. 
    So a couple of turbo sessions (picking up the turbo tomorrow night) to get me working with short runs and a ton of core work will have to do for now.  Fingers crossed today is the start of the comeback!

• Morning,

YD, hope things sort out. You were on for a stunning debut I reckon but the training is in you now and like a caged tiger it er...is straining for..meat..!??!

Phil, great 20 miler and pic. The Smiths are my favourite band, used to be obsessed in my teenage years. Did the guitar-god Johnny put his best Morrissey voice on and sing to you .." Let me get my hands on your mammary glands"?

Good training, DD and Curls.

Hello Iowa!

Kelly, like yourself I've gone off x/c and most probably due to the the same reasons.

Apologies if I've missed anyone. Have a good 'un all..
  • ...and just noticed a cracking run from PRF too!
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

YD - no probs fella. And yes you'll easily bag another number. TBH I only decided to do it in August last year (as Mara training gave me a focus, and was a means to helping me through some of the stuff I was having to deal with). But I got a number immediately, and I honestly could have got another dozen or so from various sources. So there's no massive rush.

Abo is a nice race - a typical club event. Not too many there, impeccably organised, nice course, sporadic but enthusiastic support, all marshals are runners etc. It's a bit like Thirsk 10 in a way, except it's a Mara. Very different feel to a London or other big city job. I really like it, hence me going again!

And sounds promising re the hammy too - fingers crossed image

• YD - Aye, I've got some history with The Leadmill myself. Was a student in Sheffield for a couple of years in the early 90's, so spent plenty of time in there then, and used to go back to see mates quite regularly for the next decade or more. Great venue. Room for cautious optimism on the injury by the sounds of it.

Phil - Yes, I'm familiar with the Great Escape festival. Never been, but sounds good.

Dash - You'd have enjoyed it last night then. Mr Marr played four Smiths tracks. Two during the main set (Big Mouth Strikes Again and London) and then two more during an absolutely phenomenal encore which included The Clash's I Fought The Law, my favourite Electronic track Getting Away With It, and finally How Soon Is Now and There Is A Light That Never Goes Out. Bloody brilliant gig.

Kelly, YD - Thanks for the thoughts on the tempo runs. The occasional intervals I do at the moment are a bit more unstructured than what you've laid out there, Kelly, but the Garmin I've got is capable of that sort of program and it's something I want to get into at some point in the next couple of months. No rush for the moment though, while I'm still making decent progress with the steady increase of mileage.

Easy 3 miles at lunchtime for me today - try and blow the cobwebs off left behind by not crawling into bed until 1.30am on the back of a 6 pint session in Sheffield - not helped by the fact that the only train back we could get left Sheff at 11.37pm - best part of an hour and a half after the gig finished...what are you going to do apart from go to the pub and sup?!