How hard to push in training

I never know if I'm getting the most out of my training runs, should I be pushing myself to a breathing rate that is hard work to maintain, or at a reasonable relaxed level over a greater disatance I often find I don't push myself hard enough whatever that is.

Comments

• Long Stride wrote (see)

I never know if I'm getting the most out of my training runs, should I be pushing myself to a breathing rate that is hard work to maintain, or at a reasonable relaxed level over a greater disatance I often find I don't push myself hard enough whatever that is.

The rule of thumb that I follow is not to have more than 2 quality days of training a week and keep them separated by at least a couple of easy days. Elite runners may well have more quality days a week, but I'm guessing that you're starting out?

If you are new to running, forget running at high intensity. Just base build by running at an easy conversational pace and slowly build mileage over the weeks until you are up to say 25 miles a week. Then perhaps come back online and get some advice on some beginner quality sessions.

• I am running 3 x 10k per week at around 54 minutes my race times are around 51 but I never get near this in training and feel I should.

• Long stride- if you can match 10k pb pace in training for the full distance then you may well be either under achieving or training to hard. I certainly would not be attempting 10k pb's in training. It would be nice to run a 10k pb training so I could turn up at a race and smash it. You can't be to form 24/7/365.
  • Don't worry about how fast you are running in training. Slow it down and build up the mileage.
  • Long Stride wrote (see)

I am running 3 x 10k per week at around 54 minutes my race times are around 51 but I never get near this in training and feel I should.

Heavens!! Never run a full distance time trial in practice, you'll end up taking out of the bank and risking injury if you attempt that three times a week.

I do believe in 5k and 4 mile time trials at 10K pace but only in the final weeks before the race. Training should consist of days where you run longer than race distance at much slower than race pace, as well as shorter distance repetitions/intervals at faster than race pace.

But the faster sessions should only be carried out twice a week maximum at this level and allow for recovery.

• What jamie said basically.
  • Thanks for that great info, I'm running a half marathon in 6 weeks so may have to increase the mileage, last year I trained no futher than 10k did a half marathon and was fine until the last mile when my legs really felt the strain, this year I hope to be stronger.