P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• I will put my house on Chris et al going out fast for VLM!  Not one of you will hold back, I can guarantee it. image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ha, that's what I said about you and Wilmslow half... image

• Nooo, I shall be sensible - been warned by physio tonight...  Not a good idea racing it, my foot probably wouldn't hold out.  I am hitting trails for 2 of my runs a week, the constant pounding on concrete is not helping one bit and I will probably have to take few weeks off after Manchester to let it get totally better.  I can run on it, she doesn't think I will cause a bad injury but as we know, running on a very painful foot is not good for other parts of yer body.  So, trails for my MLR and general aerobic runs which is going to be hard as they are mega hills but will see how I go.

• 8 miles VO2max for me this morning, 5 x 600m.  I was glad the intervals were a bit easier this week, quads were a bit sore from the HM, but actually feel quite loose now so they must have appreciated it.

HeOw that link from NN yesterday has the course profile, I don't think any of us would describe any of the little humps in it as a hill.

Enjoy the intervals guys.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all....

One Gear - thanks for the info. Think I will still try for even splits as much as poss.

VO2 5x600 also for me - and I think Chris is right, the intervals are shorter than last week due to coming 2 days after a MP run.

• HeOw wrote (see)

I will put my house on Chris et al going out fast for VLM!  Not one of you will hold back, I can guarantee it. image

Um excuse me ? or are you only talking about the fast men image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

She's only talking about the boys - I am going to be sensible!

• Lit nice to hear, its your first marathon so new territory for you, enjoy it image

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Hello all, 8m with 6 x 600m intervals for me this morning - I added an extra interval as the warm-up/cool down seemed too long.

Felt a bit harder than last week, which is probably a combo of the hard MP session on Sunday and skipping the previous weekend's runs prior to the interval session.  Looking forward to the taper, as my legs were defnitiely much fresher for last week's session!

• Off to do mine now, not expecting much  after Sundays MP run, but its all about loading the legs,

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

You lot are not filling me with confidence for tomorrow's 4 x 1mile reps image  I don't want to change it, even though I also did the MP run on Sunday.  Hopefully today's strides will loosen up my hamstrings and the extra day before the VO2max session will make a difference.

• if you want to see a course profile with elevation, MapMyRun.com is pretty good. Previous runners have uploaded their garmin / GPS for various races, and you can "find a map" http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/

Type "london marathon" and filter races at least 26miles, and you'll get lots of results.

reassuringly, they're all very similar for the London marathon, with net elevation gain circa 270m

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I did my 5x 600m reps earlier - easier for me as I didn't do the MP run on Sunday. Also an absolutely beautiful morning which always makes you feel more energetic, so got beeped at to slow down a lot. Times came out relatively even though: 2.20, 2.18, 2.12, 2.18, 2.12. Also successfully avoided tripping over a small dog on the last interval.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

HeOw - Can your physio help with the foot taping? If not try you tube 'kinesio tape foot'.

The ive v +ve splits discussion is lively on another thread with a number of different views. My personal view is that if you were to race both the 1st and 2nd half as individual half marathons the 1st half would be the quicker of the two everything else being equal. Therefore for a constant effort I would expect a +ve split.

• Hello. Just had a very short scan back, after not posting for a couple of months.

Glad to see most peoples 18 with 14 MP went well. A few niggles, which is to be expected, but hopefully nothing serious. Also a few PBs as well which is very nice.

I did 20 with 15 at MP on Sat which came in at 6:52 (hoping for 6:51). Interesting thoughts about split times. The thought of 6:40 scares me and I will be aiming for closer to 1:29 for the first half.

I did my 5 x 600 this morning and they felt very hard, but completed and another one ticked off.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello - was forced to dp my 5x600 in the gym today as garmin battery dead. Did a 5 mile jog beforehand. After treadmill reps I was a sweaty mess.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

7m recovery with 6x100m strides for me today.  The strides were a bit slower than usual, but they have helped to loosen my hamstrings (along with stretching and rollererering).

I took it really easy with the recovery pace, because I think it was necessary in order to have a chance with the 1m reps tomorrow.  I thought I was past all the scary runs image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Lots of reading back and lots of interesting stats and I'm in the camp of 1:27 for the half way point and that's what I did last time with a poss split of 3 mins.

The inclines are short 70m max but can slow you up so be on the ball to get back on pace after getting up them. I agree about the docklands area a number of twists and turns, again this is the start of where you need to switch on and keep the pace going.

Nice recovery run last night and a good tempo run this morning.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Literatin - you are pretty speedy. What time you aiming for?

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Well done guys getting your intervals in.

We are drowning in snow image. No intervals possible. Pavement is about 1/3 covered in ice - treacherous but not enough ice/snow to wear Yaktrax. Wot a pain. Hope this shit goes by the weekend. Will try to do the intervals then. I bet this crap cold weather stays til April 21st when all of the sudden a heatwave will appear from nowhere to really mess up our race times image

literatin wrote (see)

I'm not racing at the weekend either, but will be doing my missed MP run on Saturday, as I'm busy on Sunday doing an all-day corde lisse workshop (circus rope climbing). I'm seeing it as cross training.

Lit, you are doing the strangest things image. Trapeze classes, circus ropes, whatever is next? Bungee?

• Men, I agree, a slight positive split is NO bad thing, in fact, it is pretty impossible to truly race a marathon from the gun and negative split.  I just think a 15-30 min positive split (unless dreadful weather, injury, very hilly second half course etc) would indicate you have started too fast and it is something I am aware of.  I think I had a 13 min positive split at Manchester (partly due to weather, mainly due to starting way too fast and Garmin not working) and 4 mins at Chester.  The 4 mins was not too bad but would like to lessen that for Manchester.  

Literatin - you are very speedy chuck. 

Chickadee, you bet - weather really messes up our racing! 

Trail run for me in a bit, looking forward to it and hoping foot works better.  I am getting my PB Walsh's (fell shoes) out of retirement as I think they will work better with my foot as they initiate forefoot strike and all this slow heel striking running is making foot worse.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

15W, am aiming for sub 3.15, and will go for 3.10 if I pace it evenly, and 3.15 allowing for a slight positive split. I feel I should aim for 3.14.59 to have earnt my right to be in the championship start.

Chick, nooooo, nothing involving the sort of drops that make your stomach go funny. Next is probably more prosaic rock climbing or something. It's all good for the core.

• Nice 9 mile GA tonight with a few 100m strides thrown in, weather was miserable but it was an enjoyable run, average pace for the 9 was 7:14.  I hope your trail run goes ok Helen.

How fast are you supposed to run these strides?  I was going flat out.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Flat out Craig - but keeping your form...or something.

Lit - you running London or Manchester? I followed the sub 3hr15 pacer at Manchester last year and it was a great help - not sure what pacers are available at London.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Am running London, so don't know if I get a pacer but might try to make friends with someone similarly paced at the start -- I think they shove all the speedy ladies together at the front. I'll at least be able to get a sense of how fast everyone else is going and I have a friend doing it too who's just a couple of minutes quicker than me.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Craig, Strides are a controlled acceleration to the fastest you can go without becoming ragged (ie maintain a good running form), You should look like a proper runner running fast, not the gangly pulling for tugs muccas that we all look like on a rep desperately trying to hold onto a paceimageand then slow back down. I guess when you have a series of 6 strides in a run depending on when you run them the pace will vary.

• Cheers I think I maintained form ok then, they felt controlled and I ran them fast, looking at pace while running around 5:00-5:20 pace, I'm sure I seen a number 4 on the earlier ones.image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Maybe that's what you look like on a rep, Men... good description, though!

• Just over 8 miles done on trails - just under 1100ft of climb in bastard ankle deep mud.  First time I have properly had sweat patches for a couple of months!  Guess what... the foot was fine.  As I knew it would. So it seems, my decision to drop trails from plan has been another cause to the issues so, will be doing at least 2 of my runs a week on them.  NO PAIN AT ALL!  I was running along them and thinking "this is why people could run on and on in the olden(!) days, they had NO bloody tarmac or concrete.  Had I wore no shoes, my foot would still have been fine. Back to trails for me.  

I have only done one set of strides in this plan.  That's my PB fucked innit?! image

• Oh and intervals tomorrow for me!  On trails... Ha ha.  Noooo.  Will do 5 miles on trails then hit gym straight after (it is on doorstep of trails I run) for the easy interval bit.  

Men - that made me laugh out loud re descrption.  I look a right pleb running fast.