Tuesday 19th March 2013

Morning

Todays lyrics: 'Starts preading the news, I'm leaving today !'

Apologies as pretty sure used these lyrics 6 months ago...

What:4M Fartlek.

Why: Just felt I need it.

Cold withh flakes of snow, windy

Wabo:A belated Happy Birthday

Comments

• Morning.

Hope you get enough time off to enjoy and not enough to get stressed or bored birks.

Sounds like a good holiday chickadeee - shame about your race.

Enjoy Melbourne NZC. I was pleased to be back running - just need to keep it up for another couple of weeks now though I'm still walking like Spot the Dog this morning - I can't remember the last time I had DOMS like this.

Alehouse - hope the legs appreciated the rest.

What:              swim am/easy run pm
    Why:               ease the legs and back/I'm supposed to be marathon training
    Last hard:        stairs
    Last rest:         18/3

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Enjoy today, Birks: exciting times ahead! I have not looked back in many ways since I left my main job.

LMH: DOMS is ok! Just hope that there is no reaction with your breathing.

What: a short run this evening
    Why: I am sure I can!

Lyrics: no

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all

alehouse meant to say yes I do go into a new age group

nzc have a good trip

blisters thats a chunk off your swim time! 

these lyrics yes indeed, hope all goes well birkmyre

good sessionon the track last night, the 2000's were well in the 9mm pace, closer to 8 and half mm and the jog recovery I took was only 1 and half min, not 2. 7.16 miles in 63 mins overall

lmh, hope your egs loosen up so you can lose the spot the dog walk!

what: nothing today

why: family stuff, could be a long day

last hard: last night

last easy: sunday

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    Wabo - you're running well at the moment!
    LmH - like the walking terminology - I'm much the same today...
    NZC - enjoy Melbourne

what - supposed to be club night but the fair is in town = parking will be dreadful, so may opt for 8-9 steady from home.
    why - Tuesday
    last rest - Friday
    last hard - Sunday

lyric - I'll be surprised if many don't get these..
    yesterdays were Rizzle Kicks - "down with the trumpets"

• tinebeesttinebeest ✭✭✭

morning!

Blisters: that is a massive improvement on your swimming time!

Birks: hope you have something new lined up soon. Never mind the lyrics, I wasn't here to appreciate them 6 months ago image

LMH: you have me giggling when I picture that. And Wabo, I assume your type should read legs and not correct for eggs image, not sure what LMH would otherwise make of it...

I set off this morning before 9 with a hint of sun a a bit of misty whisps over the canals. By the time I was done it was more overcast. We are set for colder weather, overnight frost. Fortunately I do not have a garden to worry about.

What: 4M with intervals

Why: Tuesday routine

Last hard: that was

Last rest: Monday

Lyrics: why, yes! We may have to use them again this summer when I fly out to my new job.

I must be improving: I am getting faster back home on the same routes (even early ones), and on two consecutive runs I have overtaken other runners. Beginners, or siginificantly older than me, but even those used to go swiftly past me until now. I felt this morning that the weekly routine may need some shaking up to get me excited, but then right now I feel so good with the progress I see, I just have to keep that in mind when I drag my feet over going out in the first place.

• What: not a lot again
    Why: being sensible
    Last hard Thursday
    Last rest yesterday
    Lyrics: remember them from last time but obviously didn't commit to memory

Beautiful day here today but wind to get up again before Friday (booked on Saturday morning ferry too as "insurance"

BM hope all goes well whever life takes you next ...

AH slowly but progressive I think

LM.H maybe post a video? image

• Mornin

3k swum, 4 mile run, gym work done!!

4 mile run was planned for this evening but had to move it as a visit to the painman at lunchtime will render by body useless for the rest ofn the day.

Blisters - I see other fellas using one ok (and they seem to be "Shark" types. Maybe i might think about it!

Regarding the wetsuit/ skin debate the answer seems to be that the better style you have, the less difference it makes.

• Great to feel like that about your running Tine - enjoy it.

Good reps Wabo - you are looking on for a great time at VLM - PB attempt?

OH - if I were that technologically competent I would for the entertainment value, though after this mornings swim I can at least descend stairs normally now.

Glad to hear the legs are feeling ok Alehouse.

Debating whether to run with Grace or to take advantage of the milder day (gritter's are already out) and walk Grace then take the bike out for an hour - which may have the added advantage of further loosening the legs and making a run tomorrow a slightly more enjoyable prospect, not to mention the avoidance of the turbo. In fact I think I've talked myself in to it - though I will find a flat route image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Blisters: Blistering swim yesterday image

Wabo and Tine: you both seem to be running really well at the mo

NZChristine wrote (see)

Alehouse - sounds like a good plan to give your legs a bit of a rest especially if they are starting to feel better.

Little Miss Happy - wow - amazing what one can pull out of the bag! You were so low. That should give you a boost.

Wabo - sounds like you had a great birthday and a great long run.

Paddy - nice to see you back, but see you've crossed over - good luck with it.

Blisters - looks like you've seen the light and are coming back to usimage

donaldo - good to get a hurry up and get some good speed work in too.

chickadee - sounds like you had a great holiday but missed your race - will you do a 10km time trial?

Dustin - you had a good race on the weekend too!

What: 6km Cornwall Park easy - ran 32km Sunday so will have done one 20 miler before my marathon! 

I'm going to Melbourne on Sunday for a week and don't expect to do too much running there, but probably quite a bit of walking.

Have fun in Melbourne. Yeah, I reckon I will do a 10k TT on the track instead. But the darn weather will have to improve first. Everything is covered in ice and snow again image. Not enough snow to wear the Yaktrax but too much to allow for proper pacy running. The track's closed anyway image

what: 9 miles easy
    why: too much ice around
    last hard: March 6
    last rest: Saturday
    lyrics: of course image

• Ah, that's better. An hour out on the hybrid ridding myself o the frustrations of my working day (short as it was) - just hope the weather isn't too awful for my run tomorrow.

What are people's thoughts on racing a 10k two weeks before VLM? There just happens to be one the day before my birthday a few minutes from my friends - where we could stay the weekend - but Mark thinks I should be a little cautious.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Hi LMH: I don't see any reason not to race a 10k that far out from VLM. Indeed, many runners will be running the National Road Relays (long leg is around 5.6 miles) 8 days before hand!

Icy rain here: the weather is just getting ready for my run this evening!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

LOL YES LMH ITS YOUR LEGS  (oops) I wanted to loosen up! Yep definitely want a pb and GFA.  4.18 previous best so I want to dip under 4.15.

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • LM.H AS WABO SAYS image
    Depends on your aims - I'll probably run the HM 6d before Cape Wrath again.
    I ran my 1st 5k 4d after my first HM ...
    I suspect you're rather keener on optimum times whereas I'll be happy with completing and enjoying myself.
    (there's also an time and hassle outlay travelling for us)

Just been for a short walk up Costa Head -  a part of Orkney mainland I've never walked before (although I've paddled beneath on a few occasions). Lovely views from Hoy to Westray. Bright blue skies but still only 4C.

• I wouldn't be running the 10k looking for a PB - but I would be racing it and wouldn't want that to compromise my VLM time. Ordinarily I'd be doing an easy run of about two hours two weeks out.

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

A lovely short session tonight - just about 4 miles including 15 x 30s sprint, 30s walk, 30s jog.  Getting a good speed up in the sprints.

Lyrics - aye! image  

• Just spent last 5 minutes on Utube doing gait analysis on Spot the Dog!
    Think it's about time I should be getting out the door again!

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

OH that made me laugh!
    LMH ohhh I love Spot the dog.  I even have a toy one somewhere...

Wabo wow you're doing some good speedwork at the moment.  I'm sure you'l get under 4:15 with that.

Ale how's the calf feeling at the mo?

What: nothing
    Why: CBA, knackered and starving all day. Lunch eaten by 10:30, had to buy another...Was the driver with my car share  to work, and the 2 hours in total made me too knackered to even think about running!
    Lyrics: yes I like this song.

Am at the point where I need a holiday.  This time next week I'll be on a plane image

• ... and the conclusion was I'd love to be able to bounce like Spot the Dog after a 20 mile race
  • LMH - It'll do no harm to do thye 10k. Just keep your eye on the real prize. With a good warm up and coold down you could get most of the 2 hours in too!!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Rest day today, just tired and CBA......

Just planned a medium distance run for tomorrow, which means I could get lost as not done it before.... could be fun....

Take care

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

Emzap:as Paddy would say, the young cow wasn't a problem tonight. Not that it was a massive run! 10 minutes steady, a few chats at the club, then 5 mins steady. Only issue was my breathing...wonder what my peak flow is! Will not be counting any chickens, running-wise, though.

Don: I have always found those sort of short, fast sessions to be really useful in building speed. You are making big strides forwards at the moment. So don't be despondent when training hits a plateau...it is only to be expected!

LMH: I would go for the 10k over the 2 hour run...as Paddy says, with warm up and down you will get a decent length run in anyway. If you can I would move the 2 hr run to earlier in the week before the 10k, e.g. April 1st to 3rd.