So what did happen to Tommy the Clown...?

Has anyone seen him since he got outed to the FLM/VLM?

Comments

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

He runs/walks at loads of the local races up this way.

• Eggyh73 wrote (see)

He runs/walks at loads of the local races up this way.

He's still about then? Interesting. 

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Guy that dresses up as a clown and runs/walks around the end of races with a bucket collecting money for charity. Think he got caught taking a Tube shortcut at London one year.

I doubt he actually does the course of half the races he enters.

• lol thats funny. Sneaking onto the tube in running gear would look suspect enough, but dressed as a clown? hardly inconspicuous

• Clowns.

Sinister.

Would make me run much faster to know there was one behind me.

• if i was going to cheat in a marathon i'd try to be slightly less conspicuous image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    the dude abides wrote (see)

if i was going to cheat in a marathon i'd try to be slightly less conspicuous image

If I was going to cheat I would make sure I won!

• Marc.S wrote (see)

lol thats funny. Sneaking onto the tube in running gear would look suspect enough, but dressed as a clown? hardly inconspicuous

I think someone actually saw him going down the Greenwich foot tunnel. Funny thing is someone on here only worked it out because they couldn't work out how he'd passed him. He looked up his point by point chip times and all was revealed!

• Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Guy that dresses up as a clown and runs/walks around the end of races with a bucket collecting money for charity. Think he got caught taking a Tube shortcut at London one year.

One year?  It happened every year - he'd start, finish but lots of the 5k splits would be missing from the results.  I don't think he was ever caught by the organisers, unless his non-appearance the last couple of years was down to being quietly banned.

• The organisers were tipped off CD. I suspect he was politely asked not to take part again.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I'd have been shocked if he'd ever completed it. I didn't know he'd done London more than once. He's not a runner. He's a guy with a clown suit and a bucket that uses events to collect cash.

l remember people laughing one year at the Clydebank 10km when Tommy came waddling down the finish straight with a decent amount of folk still out running. Clydebank is run in two loops. It was painfully obvious he did one loop and decided to call it a night. I'm pretty sure he's been spotted taking short-cuts at the Glasgow half marathon too.

• Top sleuthing Bear - although my first thought is, "Never mind Tommy the Clown, what the hell happened to most of those Forumites"? image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Having read that thread I'm actually impressed with his 2009 result. One hour and four minutes to complete the final 2.2km. That must be a record!

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

I dont really get why you guys are so concerned he didnt run a full marathon, yet totally oblivious to the fact that if he cheated at that, and was 'collecting money for charity' .... what else was he cheating at???

My concern would be far more about where all that money went and that none of it was 'syphoned off' than the fact he cut a few corners in a marathon.

People were also concerned about that, you just didn't read the whole thread.

• Dave..............

he was getting money for false pretences....lying, cheating  and being decietful.therefore why would you trust him with your money

• He's from greenock I think and does a lot of local races in the west of scotland, seen him at the Polaroid series and the Kirkintilloch 10k last year, he was handing out lollipops to the kids.

Don't see any harm in him not completing the races as long as the cash in his bucket is going to charity.
  • no problem in not completing them..if he drops out and DNF's................but to cheat and pretend and then go through the finish to get his medal etc....just shows that he is dishonest and cheats...........

if he is honest why not just drop out when he has had enough

• bigeater wrote (see)

Don't see any harm in him not completing the races as long as the cash in his bucket is going to charity.

This goes back to the moral argument of the original thread which was basically is it ok to cheat or is it only ok to cheat if it's "for charity"?

But anyway, read the original thread. It was an interesting debate. 

• Fair point, not sure whether he collects the medal or not, my main issue though is whether the charity see,s the cash!
  • Maybe he gave 10% to the charity and then treated himself to a massage, a VIP tent with a buffet and a hotel and some new kit. That would be alright wouldn't it?
  • An infamous cheating incident from the 1999 comrades marathon, relevant bits from the Joburg times newspaper report:-

An athelete who admitted cheating by running South Africa's Comrades Marathon, one of the world's most grueling road races, in relay with his look a like brother, was disqualified. One brother ran the first half then the other brother completed the second half, changing in a roadside toilet.

The brothers' plan was only foiled because photographs of the race published in Beeld, Johannesburg's daily newspaper, showed runner number 13018 at one stage wearing a yellow watch on his left wrist. At another stage the runner with that number was wearing a pink watch on his right wrist.