Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's 15 minutes longer than me Ric image

23M total on bike, plus 3M jog/shuffle which felt OKish, but pain was building toward the end. Still - that's 0.6M up on yesterday, so moving in the right direction!

• Johnas wrote (see)
    PC2 - after the HM I ran back 3 miles into Reading and ran the final 3 miles back with the crowds looking to finish around 2 - 2.30 hours and understand where you are coming from. Guys running together and supporting eachother was great (as were the crowds actually) and you realise from front to back, people of all standards put hours into training and reminded me of why I enjoy the simple act of running purely for it's intrinsic value and nothing else.

It was definitely worth it as a reminder of what runnings about and to finish with my dad. At the corner in the finish I warned him not to slip over, he thought I was saying to go through a gap of runners (he's likes a quick finish like me) and off he went! The gap closed and suddenly I had to nail it round the outside so we could finish together image.

SG http://www.readinghalfmarathon.com/downloads/MRHM-2013-raceguide.pdf p7 shows the colours, can't find times on it though.

Quads are a bit sore today but did an easy 10k - hopefully all cleared up for racing later in the week.

• What happened to PO10 only adding results better than set standards? I thought I was safe from head to damage.. but they added it...

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I decided to strap my ankle up (extra pair of socks) and head out to see if I could plod a 4 miler out. Been on my feet all day and the mobility seemed to get better as the day went on. Was able to get round at 7.40 pace so hopeful of being able to run quicker tomorrow.

My thighs are shot mind you.

What are your guys thoughts on what I've got planned leading up to salford which is next Friday. As I feel I might have fallen short on the speed sessions over the last couple of weeks I'm eager to squeeze a couple in before. I was thinking of just steady running tomorrow and Wednesday, just a couple of 7/8 milers.

On Thursday I was thinking of aiming for 8 x 1000 but maybe at my goal pace. It may be no benefit to me at all so if anyone is in the know I'm more than willing to listen. I'd just like to see what race pace feels like again as it seems its been a while. I was thinking of recoveries at 1 min or 90secs.

5/6 easy on fri and sat.

10 steady on Sunday and then thinking of doing 200s or 300s on Monday before really backing off ready for Friday maybe 4s each day with thurs off. Thoughts and opinions wanted. image
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PC2 wrote (see)

What happened to PO10 only adding results better than set standards? I thought I was safe from head to damage.. but they added it...

hehe, confuse a rival with that tasty 2hr 04 half of yours!

Used to be the case that you had to record 1:20 or quicker to get it on there.

I remember you had to hit or better 28:00 for 5miles, as I missed it in Sep 2011 with a 28.05!

Then they loosened it the next year, pretty much a few days after I'd gone sub 28 for 5miles. image

They seem to just be allowing anything on there now! Which is better in a way, but makes you think twice about doing training runs in your own name!

You need to sort out all those "awaiting" authorisation times. Looks cluttersome son.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

PC2, I'm not too proud to take that as my first win over you.  I reckon they should do it on aggregate time as well ... image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Matt - I'd be tempted to do a threshold session on thursday; 5x 5mins at threshold off 1minute recoveries then on Monday do a mixed pace session that'll have me running at a mix of race pace and faster. Maybe something like warm up, 10 mins @ 10K pace, 5 * 2mins @ 5K pace (2 min rec), 10 mins @ 10k pace. it'll get the leg turnover but the recoveries and intervals are on the shorter side so won't be too tough a session and easy to recover from. Personally I'd have Weds off and do an easy run on thursday (30mins) with strides chucked in. That's my 2pence!

recovery run for me last night and an easy 6 miles this morning. quads still have some DOMS but a massage yesterday morning and the cycling to and from work seems to have helped too. Track Tuesday tonight so fingers crossed I can manage it - will need a good warm up!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

4miler today. Can still feel this slight kneecap feeling. Hopefully it's just the overusing the worn trainers, and this just needs to wear off!

5x1k at 10k pace tonight.

• As some of you know I am a long time lurker on this thread.

Wanted to say a thanks to Rich for the detail he posted on the 200 session. Had a go today and did 16 x 200 at a pace between 800-1500 pace. Great session.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Are you doing squats SG? Any knee cap tracking problems can be easily resolved by doing them properly....

Johnas - I always find an easy bike ride a good way to warm up DOMS affected muscles, without making the worse.

Matt - I'd agree with johnas re choosing a session that will get the leg trunover going, but with good recovery and not a high level of reps. Johnas receommended session sounds a tad tough - but maybe that's just me!

2 x 4.5M on the bike (work) + 70 x 25m at the pool at lunch + swiss ball session this evening. Some odd pains in the butt after yesterday, so no running at all today.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, I do a single leg bend squat, and also a kind of long reach lunge. One of those 2?

Hopefully nothing, but you can feel when something feels slightly glitchy. I think i remember this another time the trainers got a bit worn, and it took a few days to "see out" the slight strain, and then was fine

Max, 16x200 at 800-1500 pace sounds quite a tough session to me.

I find half the reps on that enough for my lungs, if not for my legs.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

SG - if i only did 8*200m it would feel like i hadnt touched the sides.    image

max - 16*200 is a great session,  i did a 20*200 last week and i am down for a 25*200 session as part of my 5k specific training coming up.  the advise i have been given is to do them at 1 mile pace.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'm probably mis-remembering in fairness, as I did some 4x200, 4miles MP, then 4x200 sessions.

But my rep count is never as high as a lot I read on here. Probably wise as i'd probably be in a heap.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

think it's just you Busimage - Matt would have 3 days recovery which is plenty with some easy and recovery running. i did a similar session 4 days before and a 1 hour progression run 2 days before the Brighton 10K.

i've never attempted anythig like 16, 20 or 25 reps of anything! Now THAT sounds like a tough session!! Knackered just thinking about it!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Max, thanks for that.

Glad you found the session fun.

When I mentioned 30 x 200m it was a figure I work towards. Most of the time I build up from 15 to 20, 25 etc. 

Its a session I make up as I go along as regards numbers. Yesterday was a look/see job, hence only 15. Once I get a hint of getting ragged and slowing down, I know its almost 'show over' for that session.

dean, I think mile pace is about right. At my best I could only sustain 36/37 seconds without going gradually into an oxygen debt.

SG, you would only find the session hard if you are running the 200's too fast.

Rule of thumb is being able to talk most of the way and only need to take a couple of breaths at the end to get back on level.

I'll try the session again tomorrow.

30 x 200m is the same distance as 6 x 1000m, just easier to manage in bits.

🙂

• baldblokebaldbloke ✭✭✭

another lurker on this thread...all the detail of the sessions done by front-of-the-packers is very useful...but, after being overtaken by both Spiderman and an Ice Cream Cone at Reading on Sunday, please don't encourage a fashion for fast people in costumes!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    baldbloke wrote (see)

another lurker on this thread...all the detail of the sessions done by front-of-the-packers is very useful...but, after being overtaken by both Spiderman and an Ice Cream Cone at Reading on Sunday, please don't encourage a fashion for fast people in costumes!

That's ok, I have the gun.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Then I think there's a difference between what Dean is talking, and what you're talking Ric.

Dean's talking up to 25x200 at 1mile pace.

1mile pace isn't a lot different to 1500 pace, and that's certainly not talking pace!

I'd probably suggest 5k/10k pace isn't really talking pace either!

Johnas, I did 16x400 once, at 10k pace. Doesn't sound too hard, and while your legs aren't wrecked, you can feel it near the end!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Cheers for that johnas and Bus. I think I'll go with that threshold session. Going to go training with the club tonight but ill be sticking firmly at the back and jogging. Not that I have much choice as although my ankle feels ok my quads are in bits.
  • 6x800m reps at lunchtime today and a shade faster than last time out so still going in the right direction. Splits were 2:58, 2:53, 2:54, 2:53, 2:53, 2:54 so apart from the first one where I forgot I was doing reps until 200m in I am getting much closer to 2:50 than 3:00.

SG, what are you plans tomorrow? I am off work and busy am but may be clear pm.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well if you happen to be running at mile pace for a mile then talking pace it won't be SG, but you're only running 200m before having a nice rest which sort of changes things.

I didn't mean easy conversational talking, but if you are too shattered to speak then you've probably overdone it. You only need 3 or 4 200's at 33 seconds when you should be doing 37/38 seconds to muck it up.

A 5000m is 25 x 200m in one hit without rest. How far do you run before your lungs start complaining? 150m, 300m, 600m, 1200m?

I never broke 5 minutes for a mile so doing my 200's in 36/37 seconds was my mile pace.

If you identify these 200's with blowing a gasket then you are running too fast for the session. Its not multiple sprints. Its a threshold session.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

well, if we take my last 5k, it was about 500metres before my body knew it was in trouble image

Phil, only have one 5miler tomorrow. If you come to near my work, and around 12-1 that'd suit me nicely?

Quite nice 5x1k session tonight. 10K pace the intention. 5k pace the result.

I blame the assorted collaboration of goons on the track. A couple of slow chaps running abreast in the first 2 lanes, and a gang of football oafs threatening to take over lane 1, until quickly moving when seeing me monstering along.

So, some of that probably hyped the paces up.

The first 4 look like some kind of progression session when I wasn't meaning that at all. The last one restored some sense.

But as the 10k pb was 3.28, hopefully some can come off that next time out.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Matt, reading this quickly at work earlier, I completely missed your question....but all answered and sorted I see now image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, As far as that.

I'm not joking. the first 5000m I ran on the track; I was reliably informed, would explode my lungs to some extent before the end of the first lap.

"Its a Track race, its to be expected", "Just keep going" yea, ok. 

They were right, but a string of sub 17's followed.

I think the effort now would give me concerns for my health. I mean it.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

tonight felt good, and i think i'd be up for cracking that 5k next time out with a less silly start.

A track 5k must just be mad. Mix in the obligatory start of race excitement, with the favourable surface, and you must really zoom off.

• SG, 12 is too early, was thinking you were still off work and aiming mid-afternoon.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ah fraid not old son, I had a full week off, had to go back at some stage! What's the earliest you could manage, just in case I can move things?

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

ah fraid not old son, I had a full week off, had to go back at some stage! What's the earliest you could manage, just in case I can move things?

Don't know for sure: picking up #2 from Cambridge so it is variable on how ready she is. Wouldn't want to commit to before 2pm.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ahh ok, no problems, next time though!

Your 800s look to be heading the right way, so soon you'll be back in the proper game. Just need to get Bus back there, and keep myself there for our Marlow date!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

tonight felt good, and i think i'd be up for cracking that 5k next time out with a less silly start.

A track 5k must just be mad. Mix in the obligatory start of race excitement, with the favourable surface, and you must really zoom off.

Sure do.

I went through 4 laps in 5:08.

🙂