Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

how does a track 5k actually work thinking about it? When do you "break"?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    SG- ah that makes sense, 8 reps plus 4m @mp would make for a good session.

Ric - find myself nodding like the churchill dog when reading what you say about 200m sessions. I actually make a point of a conversation after each rep. Even if its how's the pace feel etc?

Bald bloke - getting beat by an ice cream sucks. Mind you I heard he got a PB with a 99....

SG - top work and pace on that 1k session

A lighter session tonight for me bearing in mind the hm this weekend but the hail made it interesting! 6*800 ranging between 2.38 - 2.32 off 2 min recovery for the first 3 then dropped to 90 sec for the rest.
  • Stevie G . wrote (see)

Does someone hold up a chalk board with your number and 'last lap' scribbled on it?

Hour turbo tonight. Was going to do it at lunch then run tonight but quad v hot and sore, so put the high-impact stuff off for a day. Will take it easy at track Wednesday.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

No break, you start on a line that is slightly curved at the 200m point and wherever you start on that line it is 200m to the star/finish line if you run to the inside lane and hit it at a tangent. Once th erace is up and running, you all keep to the insdie lane and the lap marker goes down with the fastest guy. If you get lapped an official will shout out "3 to go" or whatever even though the lap board says 2 and you wil get a bell one lap to go.

http://www.trackinfo.org/CSUN/200startw.jpg

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

So you basically get a sprint to get position, and then try and maintain that, hoping you haven't bust your juice already?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Is that Wilmslow half Deano?

If you're already on low 1hr 14s, is a foray into the 1hr 13s the target, or even deeper?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

sg - it is wilmslow, tough race to get a v40 prize in too as i would have to go sub 72 to get in the top 3 V40 so should be plenty of people to pull me along

image....now im not one for predictions or stating my aims before a race....but rest assured im after a PB.  i will keep my aims to myself for the moment as i might have to tailor them on race day as we are expecting 15mph winds and wintery showers.  but i will be honest afterwards what i was attempting and how i faired. It was this race last yr i was trying to break sub 80 for the first time.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Great to see you heading in the right direction Phil. Your patience in taking the long term approach to get back up to fitness is a lesson for all those that do too much too soon. Iron also proving that listening to your body will rep rewards in the long run especially with the amount of training you do fella!

Nice session SG. Overcooking it as usualimage But seriously, good pace work.

Dean - glad to see someone else that isn't afraid to put a good quality session in in the week of a race, even if on the lighter side to aid recovery. And what a massive improvement over the last year from targeting sub 80 to 73 ish. Amazing.

So despite the DOMS, forced myself to do Track Tuesday. 6 mins threshold followed by 2 sets of 6x 400m with 60 second recoveries. It was during the first set I though, hang on - I said on the thread today I couldn't imagine doing 16, 20 or 25 reps of anything and here I am, in theory, doing 24 reps of 200 metres! Does that count?? Target was 5k pace so 78 seconds +/- 2 seconds:

77, 76, 78, 76, 75, 77 (2 mins recovery)

77, 76, 77, 76, 79, 80

Bearing in mind how dead my quads felt, got to pleased with that session so soon after Reading.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

on another note and something I can relate to big time, I thought I'd share a blog post by Louise Damen yesterday on the effect of marathon training on overall performance

http://www.realbuzz.com/blogs/u/Louise_Damen/louise-damen-s-blog/

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

nice session Johnas. I'd normally not do quality a few days after a half marathon, but I did once do a 5k 2 days after the Wycombe half!

I can't tell you how much deep heat had to be used on the legs!

Both you, and anotehr ex Strider Jess (sub 1hr 20 girl) are showing the effects of marathon training on performance without me even checking that link!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

nice session Johnas. I'd normally not do quality a few days after a half marathon, but I did once do a 5k 2 days after the Wycombe half!

Both you, and anotehr ex Strider Jess (sub 1hr 20 girl) are showing the effects of marathon training on performance without me even checking that link! (will

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Both you, and anotehr ex Strider Jess (sub 1hr 20 girl) are showing the effects of marathon training on performance without me even checking that link! (will do

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Both you, and anotehr ex Strider Jess (sub 1hr 20 girl) are showing the effects of marathon training on performance without me even checking that link! (will do later

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Both you, and anotehr ex Strider Jess (sub 1hr 20 girl) are showing the effects of marathon training on performance without me even checking that link! (will do later when

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Both you, and anotehr ex Strider Jess (sub 1hr 20 girl) are showing the effects of marathon training on performance without me even checking that link! (will do later when not at

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Both you, and anotehr ex Strider Jess (sub 1hr 20 girl) are showing the effects of marathon training on performance without me even checking that link! (will do later when not

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Both you, and anotehr ex Strider Jess (sub 1hr 20 girl) are showing the effects of marathon training on performance without me even checking that link! (will do later when not at work)

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Sorry SG, didn't quite catch that, can you repeat it?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, you must be doing intervals on the keyboard. Very short recoveries I note.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Similar session for me as a couple of days back.

Applied a fraction less effort this time and as a result knocked off 25 sets of 40 seconds on, 20 seconds rest. Could have done more but seeing as it had gone well, left it at 25.

Kept the Garmin running the whole time and by the end of the session it had 3.44 miles on the clock. I guess moving about during the recovery period adds up.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

just saying it was a nice session that's all image

• Day off so did a lazy 10 and a bit: 90% odd off road and all hills and mud:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/286761234

No pace aim or distance aim, just ran and enjoyed doing so.

Johnas wrote (see)

Great to see you heading in the right direction Phil. Your patience in taking the long term approach to get back up to fitness is a lesson for all those that do too much too soon.

Thanks. Hardest bit is the delayed feedback: it seems to take 3 or 4 weeks for the training to show so you train for 4 weeks and get no imppovement, then ease off for a few weeks and reap the benefit of that earlier investment. The increase I see now is due to the reps I was doign 4 weeks ago and not yesterday.

• Hi all,

Massive well done (bit late) to the Reading half runners, and some great times/performances. Hopefully more of the same from Deano on Sunday. Strange not running Wilmslow for once.

I really need to start to make a not of the sessions that go down on here! Some crackers.

After my parkrun I went out Sat, got blind, was hungover (no run), got ill Monday (no run). But back to it Tues. No sessions this week as 2 x parents evenings. No harm as I'm doing the 12 stage on Saturday.

Any other folks running that? Is the southern one this weekend too?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice sessions from you guys thre, and Philip, I hope I can emulate your patience. Funnily enough last time I was out with injury was not long after VLM in 2011 at a time when I was hoping I'd be putting the theories about transating the benefits of marathon training to other distnaces into practice! I think it was a case fo too much too soon though in the end.

More biking today - 18M this morning and 15M home tonight. Takes me to 67M for the week so far and 110M since Friday! Just a shame it's not running miles image

• Stevie see wrote (see)

Any other folks running that? Is the southern one this weekend too?

Southern is on Sunday. I am running, ricF is too, wouldn't be surprised to see DT2 there as well.

• Going long or short Phil? I've been told I'm going long!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes, Southern on Sunday. Looks like its going to be a cold one. But one I won't be opting out of. 

Club Road Relays. The speed some of these guys run at is something to see. I had someone go past me last year who I think ran the fastest leg of the entire event. I was doing 6:15's he was doing 4:40's. 

I'm down for a long leg if 4.76 miles is considered long. Last year only 29:48 but had run a short leg of 3.13 miles only 45 minutes earlier.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Track tonight, my old favourite of 10 x 800 with 200 jog recoveries. 2:34, 2:38, 2:36, 2:37, 2:37, 2:36, 2:36, 2:35, 2:37, 2:35. Average 2:36. Reading Half is still in the legs a little bit, so a decent pace, even if I couldn't match that over eager first one. Plenty of track congestion, found myself in lane 4 every now and then.

No issues with the foot - its still making an odd creaking sound when stretched, but no pain at all. I guess I shall just carry on as normal.
  • Stevie see wrote (see)

Going long or short Phil? I've been told I'm going long!

Short: I just scraped in at #12 of 12.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah Dachs, the classic 5miles at 5k pace, off short recoveries, 3 days after a half marathon, 4 days before a 10k.

Standard fare!

A fair few of us reading that are thinking along the lines of we wouldn't fancy that, "not even with yours" image