Most dangerous Job/Sport/Hobby

I am dabbling with a bit of cave diving in the near future image which is meant to be crazy dangerous. However I have know quite a few people mess themselves up skiing of all things. Now is this just because more people Ski??  I have even know somebody who died playing football!

I was wondering what do you think is the most dangerous Job, hobby or sport?

Comments

• I believe horse riding is statistically the most dangerous per numbers who participate

• You can take your eye out playng tiddleywinks......image

• For sport it has to be bob skeleton, hurtling along at 120kph on your front on a tea tray!

• You're very unlikely to die doing sport. Except BASE jumping. That's pretty risky (1 death in 2317 jumps).

Skiing or snowboarding you can expect to be injured once every 447 days (injuries requiring medical attention).

• Good stats there Tom image

What about jobs then. Because I read somewhere being a builder in the UK you are more likely to be injured than any other job?? I know being a fireman can be a bit dodgy when you're recuing cats from trees and all thatimage

I agree BASE jumping has got to be up there

Although what about this.....http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6153518/Crumbs-half-of-Britons-injured-by-their-biscuits-on-coffee-break-survey-reveals.html

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Statistical fact: More people die skydiving with a fully open and working canopy over their heads than those who don't .......

or perhaps very few people try skydiving without an open and working canopy?

• So your saying if you are a responsible skydiver/base jumper you would be less at risk? I suppose that could be said about most things. When cave diving and you run out of air (Which should never happen) or you have an equipment failure, you do have back ups. But if it goes wrong to can re surface you just drift off. BUT you usually have an opportunity to react to a situation. BASE jumping or skydiving you are committed the moment your feet leave a solid surface, you cannot turn around. So suppose its true.

However the sport, if you can call it that, or train surfing is wiping a few people out too.

Seems like good fun though

• In November 2002, an English teenager was killed after hitting a bridge while riding on the roof of a train.14]
    • In December 2003, a 15-year-old girl suffered burns to her stomach, chest and shoulders in a train surfing accident in Melbourne, Australia. She had been roof riding with friends when she came into contact with the train's power supply. Her scars were expected to be permanent.15]
    • On 24 September 2004, a 14-year-old boy tried to jump on the footstep of a moving freight train but slipped and fell on the rails. Both his legs got severed by the wheels of the freight car. After this accident he was hospitalized.16]
    • In June 2006, a 15-year-old in Johannesburg, South Africa, fell while swinging out of a train. Most of his scalp was ripped off.15]
    • On 12 May 2007, a Danish train surfer Martin Harris was killed after hitting a viaduct while riding on the roof of a commuter train. After the incident, a campaign against train surfing was launched by two Danish individuals.15]
    • In May 2008, a 20-year-old from Werribee, Australia had been roof riding during the night on top of the last carriage and had been killed after touching an electric wire with 1500 volts of electricity. His right arm was petrified and his fingers were rigid. After this, his body had been found by passengers at Flinders Street Station in Melbourne.15]
    • On 14 February 2011, two 19-year-old Russian students were killed after hitting a pipe over the subway line while roof riding on a subway train in Moscow, Russia.17]
    • On 24 January 2012, a 17-year-old was fatally injured with electrocution while train surfing on a roof of a train in Melbourne, Australia.18]

• Oh come on, train surfing isn't a a sport it's sheer bloody stupidity - Darwinism in action.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Mining; Farming; pilot &crew (helicopter really dangerous).

• funny thing is. I know lots of extreme sportist who do breakneck activities, and yet the sport which seems to injure people most commonly is....five-a-side football.

• although my 8 mile plod through govan is not without danger

• I can say the most dangerous job I have done is Steel Erecting on some very high buildings. I did it in the days before they netted just about everything as they do now. I lost two mates over the three years I did it. I stopped working in the trade when I broke a finger playing rugby and not being able to climb for a few weeks gave me the chance to look for safer work. I still can't believe the risks I took in those days and the hieght at which we worked..image

• I think the 8 mile walk through Govan wins! image although if you said a 30second stroll through Drumchapel that would win.

TG2 Sod that a thousand times. YOu couldn't pay me enough to be honest with you. It's like the pic of the blokes having their lunch on the Steel beam, on a 1930's sky scraper in New York.

Although if your down A&E on a Saturday afternoon their are a lot of rugby players in different states of consciousness

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I did the Drumchapel sprint as a youth.

That involves dating a lass from said area and walking her home at the end of the night. Then heading off back to civilisation to be confronted by about twenty lads with an assortment of knives shouting "yir no fae this scheme". It wasn't timed, but I'm very confident that was the fastest I've ever ran in my life.

• Funny how you don't get groups of lads like that being all protective about Hampstead Garden Suburb or Alderley Edge isn't it? image

• I seem to recall from my days working for a health and safety magazine that construction took over from mining as the UK industry with the highest volume of fatalities and major injuries some time in the 80s - but I can't be bothered to look it up, frankly.

• I heard a while back that statistically, Grand Prix drivers had the most dangerous job. It was round the time Senna died.
  • maybe because with only about 30 grand prix drivers at the time 1 death made the statistics a bit high.........

I always think its trange to have charities for todays fishermen and soldiers who lose their lives doing their jobs............you never see a charity to help builders  and construction workers who lose their lives doing their jobs..........

is it just from a historical point that these charities were set up.............now adays when no one is made to do any job..where people chose the jobs because of their love of it or becuase they think the rewards out weigh the risks..........why do people give to the charities  .. when if others die then there is no charity to help.........isn't it up to evryone to make provisions for their loved ones in case they die

• UK had approx 170 work fatalities last year, and 49 were in Construction but there were 2000 people killed on the roads, and a third 660 approx were driving either company vans or cars. So the job most likely to kill you is a driving job. 

• seren nos wrote (see)

I believe horse riding is statistically the most dangerous per numbers who participate

I would agree, after working with horses for 15 years, with the last 3 retraining problem horses I would have to say this is a very dangerous sport - mostly due to peoples stupidity! I used to play Polocrosse and during the 4 years I played, I saw a scary amount of people seriously injured compared to the low number of players in the UK. (once again this goes back to my previous comment os stoooopidity! lol)

EKGO wrote (see)

UK had approx 170 work fatalities last year, and 49 were in Construction but there were 2000 people killed on the roads, and a third 660 approx were driving either company vans or cars. So the job most likely to kill you is a driving job. 

Also agree with this! The roads are a bliming dangerous place to work!

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

How's about mountain rescue - that's got to be pretty dangerous.

Or rope access. I knew a bloke that did rope access, he was copmpletely nutty. He worked on oil and gas installations in the middle east and africa. When he came back to England he'd go skydiving. We lost contact, but I wouldn't fancy his chances.

Mind you, give me that over being an 'Egyptian hot air balloon tourism operative' anyday.

• snap....there have been no fatalities at all amongst egyptian hot air balloon operatives.........

so a safe job i think......compared to driving in egyptimage

• According to one website

1. Fisherman

2. Farm Worker

3. Oil/Gas rig workers

4.Construction

5. Commercial Lorry Driver

Probably about right.  So why do we always here about firemen or Policemen risking their lives to save others when in reality it's a pretty cushty job by a fishermans standards?

122 people died cycling in 2012? Thats got to be up there as cycling on the road is one thing that scares the s**t out of me image

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Probably right DF, but London cyclists don't help themselves by wearing headphones and that complete fool last week, actually cycling along in Southwark on the phone. Most too are colour blind with the inability to differentiate between red and green at those pretty light thingees.

• seren nos wrote (see)

maybe because with only about 30 grand prix drivers at the time 1 death made the statistics a bit high.........

I always think its trange to have charities for todays fishermen and soldiers who lose their lives doing their jobs............you never see a charity to help builders  and construction workers who lose their lives doing their jobs..........

is it just from a historical point that these charities were set up.............now adays when no one is made to do any job..where people chose the jobs because of their love of it or becuase they think the rewards out weigh the risks..........why do people give to the charities  .. when if others die then there is no charity to help.........isn't it up to evryone to make provisions for their loved ones in case they die

seren nos wrote (see)

maybe because with only about 30 grand prix drivers at the time 1 death made the statistics a bit high.........

There is one for construction workers... http://www.lighthouseclub.org/

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

I reckon most of those cyclists probably died in London. You must be mad to cycle in London. Im forever dodging vans just randomly reversing into narrow streets, and thats just walking.

14 of them were in London so statistically pretty high. 

• "Both his legs got severed by the wheels of the freight car. After this accident he was hospitalized"

Thank goodness, two Bandaids and a drop of Savlon can only do so much !