London Marathon 2013 - Runners & Supporters

Comments

• Liberty... If you want to make yourself feel even better and your on facebook, like the virgin marathon page and you will see how underprepared others are! Although I do have to keep telling myself it doesnt matter what others do.

No its not, I ran back in 2006. Prior to marathon training I had been running 3-4 times a week though but no major distances. I will be honest though. If I dont get three decent longs runs in the next 3 weeks though I will not run. It's a bit make or break for me this week.

• Two stroke, you poor thing x you are still going ahead with it though? Good luck xxx thank you for info on medal time. I teach and want to show medal in school on Monday!! I know I can walk 26 miles so if I have to stop and walk that is what I will do. I think it is not knowing what to expect.

Fenn, I will def like that page, might make me feel better! I stuck religiously to schedule and was doing well so I'm a bit annoyed I had to take time out but tbh I am getting up to fitness quicker than I thought so fingers crossed.

For those of you who have run VLM before do some people set off walking or walk/ running or does everyone run at the start? Can you even run at the start with so many people? My time is slow... Ill be overtaken by all the mascots but I'd rather start off running, even slowly if possible. It is so difficult to know what to expect. I was due to run a half marathon 2 weeks ago but had chronic chest infection so couldn't breathe right. I was going to use it to prepare myself for what an actual race Is like.
  • Liberty did you put an estimated time on your entry? At the start you are in pens relating to your time. At the start there are lots of people. People will over take you and likewise you will over take some. The thing is with races is dont set off fast, you burn out! (Speaking from experience) but at London with the amount of runners you will be fine. If people want to overtake they find a way through. Just take it one step at a time, I walked a fair bit last year, but getting to that finish line was important to me so around mile 22 I changed my goal from time to cross that line. It's amazing the buzz of knowing you've done it is great! It doesn't matter how long it takes its no one can take it away from you.

I can't wait to cheer you all on at the supporters area! image
  • I haven't joined the runners list bc I can't make it to the pub after. I will be meeting up with my 2 young sons and have promised to take them to TGIs for tea. Can't disappoint them, am a single, working mum and they have been so good the last few months while I have been focused on running! Cheer me on anyway though!!! :0) I will be wearing a bright yellow meningitis trust top with Nikki on!

I put 5 and a half hours as my expected time and I think that is accurate (hangs head in shame!)
  • Hey I crossed in 6hrs 4mins and 45sec I really proud!! So dont worry about the time. I'm pretty sure we will be cheering everyone on. You will do great, you all will! The atmosphere on the day is unbelievable image
  • Thank you Claire, I really needed to hear that today x
  • I will be walking from the start Liberty.  If I can manage it and everything is ok I will run the last little bit and across the line!  Must admit you're brave going into work the next day, I've booked the whole week if as I expect to be stiff even walking it image  And yes, I am still doing it this year as I deferred last year due to an ongoing knee issue.   And nothing wrong with 5.5 hours, that's a bit faster than I would have expected to do it in if I was actually running it.  Don't do yourself a dis-service, training for this and taking part is a huge task regardless of whether you do it in sub 3 or just come in before the cut off.  In fact several of my fast friends reckon it's way tougher for us slower ones as we are out there for much longer and it's much harder work for us.  Raise your head high young lady and be proud of your time image

Being on the runners list has nothing to do with going to the pub so far as I know!  It's there so they can cheer you on and you can leave stuff with them at the Exel Centre on the Saturday for you to pick up from the cheer point on your way round (or at least that's what I have taken it to mean so please correct me).

• Thank you two stroke. My class are really carrying me emotionally, they are in the middle of organising a charity fair to raise money and are generally fab! They are desperate to see the medal so my dad is going to drive me in, we have an achievement assembly anyway then I only have one lesson ( where I intend to sit down!). My dad is picking me up at lunchtime.

I am really really proud of myself for getting out and training, I can honestly say running is not for me and won't be something I take up long term but I have done it and am pleased with myself. I was just feeling a little demoralised knowing people do it in under 3 hours when I will only just be past half way. In my head I know that there will be loads of people still with me but you never seem to read of those..... For someone to actually tell me they are on track for, or have completed in, 6 hours has given me a huge boost.

I must ami I only read the first few pages before jumping to the end pages because there were o many I just felt a bit cheeky asking to be out on the list knowing I couldn't meet up afterwards.

So one more question, has anyone ever amen their children to watch? Any advice? My mum is determined she. Taking my children but I went to watch the end of the race last year and the crowds were horrific. I just can't see that it will be good, although they are desperate to come too. Any advice on slightly less crowded places to stand? I'm torn bc I want them there but tbh I think they would be better going to the science museum and meeting me after. Is it really. Huge boost to see people you know, even if you don't stop?

Sorry for all the questions!
  • A late appearance, but I too shall be running and more importantly, drinking beers at the finish.

• Im running and would luv some support only my partner and son coming and there going site seeing cheers lol

• Roll on easter then time to taper for me cant wait image

• Counting down the days 3 more long runs too go wooohoooo ,this wekk is not too bad thoe 4 short runs and a 18miler

• Hoping to support again

• Supporters 
    Sister Bad Habit (aka K-Web on the 'other' site for those crossing from the dark side lol) 
    SuperCaz 
    VikW 
    KateF 
    Tommygun2 
    katb 
    Mrs Warkie 
    BBH 
    Womble 
    JohnClose3 
    Soup Dragon 
    Sweetest Thing (with FL & LB) 
    Foxy Lady (with ST & LB) 
    XFR Bear 
    LouiseG 
    Mrs ZiggyTheSpider (contact through ZiggyThe Spider) 
    Beck01
    Claire Hardman
    Maddy

Runners 

Alki 
    Mr Alki 
    Cake 
    Camberwell 
    Cocoa Pop. 
    Cooper 16 
    Dave Wood 4 and Dan Wood 
    georginagem 
    gizmo83 
    Happychap 
    Helen Macfarlane 2 
    Holymoly 
    Hopetofinish 
    Khanivore 
    kittenkat (hopefully not stopping, no offence) 
    Lady Wot Jogs 
    Lee the Pea 
    Literatin 
    Mark 1981 
    Mattoo 
    Loon (definitely stopping and expecting lots of hugs) 
    Mike Frog 
    Millsy1977 
    Mr Puffy. 
    Nick Wicks 2 
    Night Nurse 
    No Pain 
    Nykie (I had a group last year but only at the last minute, so didn't really get to know people) 
    PipG 
    Pottermiss 
    Prawnie (& Mr Prawnie running his first marathon) 
    Rattler Rattler 
    RFJ 
    RosemaryClose4 
    Slim Fast 
    Sofaboy. 
    Straycelt 
    TortoiseWins 
    Two-Stroke Tart 
    Ultra Kazzaaaaah! 
    USB 
    Vixx76 
    Warkie 
    Wickett ~ 
    ZiggyTheSpider 
    15West 
    Go Caz
    K-Dawg  

• Oh balls. Reliable as ever, me!!! After saying I was back all hell broke loose down here in Dover and I've ended up having to move home. Add into that the fact that I Race Direct for Enigma and go on loan to other events as well, I've been a bit conspicuous in my absence sorry peeps image

So - my plan is to pull some initial groups together this weekend (as I've got race events every weekend after this until June image I'm so in demand, me lol)

Schmunkee, if you're around, can you sort out me list please chicken? I'd really very much appreciate it thankingyouverymuch image

If there's any more for any more, then let me know!!!!!

Hope everyone's training is going well - you've still got a few weeks to go if you're not quite feeling it yetimage

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Oh yes, I can't wait to find out who my victims are.  Last year I had a very motley crew.

• Oh wo is me for I have sinned badly. I'm double booked for the marathon weekend and arranged that weekend away in Cambridge. Taking my name off the list. image

Supporters 
    Sister Bad Habit (aka K-Web on the 'other' site for those crossing from the dark side lol) 
    SuperCaz 
    VikW 
    KateF 
    Tommygun2 
    katb 
    Mrs Warkie 
    BBH 
    Womble 
    JohnClose3 
    Sweetest Thing (with FL & LB) 
    Foxy Lady (with ST & LB) 
    XFR Bear 
    LouiseG 
    Mrs ZiggyTheSpider (contact through ZiggyThe Spider) 
    Beck01
    Claire Hardman
    Maddy

Runners 

Alki 
    Mr Alki 
    Cake 
    Camberwell 
    Cocoa Pop. 
    Cooper 16 
    Dave Wood 4 and Dan Wood 
    georginagem 
    gizmo83 
    Happychap 
    Helen Macfarlane 2 
    Holymoly 
    Hopetofinish 
    Khanivore 
    kittenkat (hopefully not stopping, no offence) 
    Lady Wot Jogs 
    Lee the Pea 
    Literatin 
    Mark 1981 
    Mattoo 
    Loon (definitely stopping and expecting lots of hugs) 
    Mike Frog 
    Millsy1977 
    Mr Puffy. 
    Nick Wicks 2 
    Night Nurse 
    No Pain 
    Nykie (I had a group last year but only at the last minute, so didn't really get to know people) 
    PipG 
    Pottermiss 
    Prawnie (& Mr Prawnie running his first marathon) 
    Rattler Rattler 
    RFJ 
    RosemaryClose4 
    Slim Fast 
    Sofaboy. 
    Straycelt 
    TortoiseWins 
    Two-Stroke Tart 
    Ultra Kazzaaaaah! 
    USB 
    Vixx76 
    Warkie 
    Wickett ~ 
    ZiggyTheSpider 
    15West 
    Go Caz
    K-Dawg  

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Soupy! *glares, crosses arms and taps foot in best Head Mistress style*

• I'm running too and would love some support. Can I climb aboard?

I would add myself to the list, but not sure I know how *hangs head in shame*
  • ....and Eckytump is still missing from the runners list...

• Well if no one minds that a) I will be one of the last to go past and b) I can't go off to the pub I would love some moral support, especially as I've just found out most of my family may not be able to make it :0(
  • Hi all.

Can I go on the list pretty please. I am running with "TREV" on my back. He is a slightly larger than average bear from the Fat Capital of Britain image

• not sure were we'll get to this time

• Sorry if this has already been discussed, but does anyone know if we will be sent final instructions in the post/by email about registration etc, or have we already been sent something? Starting to wonder if I have lost something, other than my memory...

• Found the thread now, thanks! (Something will be sent  between now and the beginning of April.)

• Thanks to all the lovely supporters - you saved me in 2010 after I tripped on a timing mat and had tears dripping down my nose.

I am running this year and hopefully will drop some sweeties off for you at excel. Like Kittenkat I hope not to stop but if I am struggling may I grab a quick hug off someone??
  • Can ya stick me on list will give ya hi five what've marker do you all stand ?
  • Just checking for updates and confirming I'm still supporting
  • I shall see what I can do with the list over this weekend
  • I got my registration form image