Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• I've been tapering on my runs, and tapering on this forum as well.  I now run about 60% of my milage, but keep the same intensity, and read 6 out of 10 pages, but with the same focus.  image   Just too much to read these days.

Dannirr – Thanks for the pace band link

DV – Thanks for sharing your thoughts on UltraRacing. It's something which really appeals to me. I'll be looking forward to picking your brain a bit more about it at Pasta Papas.

Orbutt – I always make it a point to high-5 just about anyone during a race who will let me, fellow runners included. If I'm not going to be the fastest guy on the course, at least I can be the most outgoing.

Clag- As a spectator walking along the sidelines last year, I can assure you there was not a dry tree anywhere near the start. Men and women ran to the sidelines and did what they needed to do in full view of the authorities, who seemed to understand.

ATM- I was able to print off my convocation with no issues.  Thanks for the instructions.  I'll message you my phone number so you can add it to the list.   (Not sure if other threaders are from Paris, but we are.   If anyone forgets something out of the ordinary and needs help finding it, give us a call).

Jus T - if you're husband is holding a sign, it should be this one:

http://www.retromodo.com/images/mrtea/logo.jpg

Oooh, looks like I'm one of the cool kids who can post photos.   Now, can anyone help me get my font to a normal size?

• Sorry......am laughing too.....ooh that sounds sore!!

Been out in my new top......love it.  Will take it for a longer hike on Sunday, then wash and pack. Very warm out there so short sleeves was a good bet.

I'm with you onthe High Five....I love doing it...The kids think it's great.

Love the photos ATM...you're a star.

• just had my BEST EVER interval session for a particular route involving a double lapping of the outer circle of Regents Park! 8.5 miles and feeling puffed out - munching sushi, olives and a tuna sandwichimage

• Just one word YM - arnica.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

RR - I'm taking it almost as frequently as nurofen...sigh....

• TD - I like to set the bar high!!! Yes, but more likely punishing myself for things in this life......

Just back from a lovely 10 miles in wind and snow, and sun??? 7 miles at 9mm......I feel good!!!image

Laughing at Simon, and near greeting at the thought of your pain YM..........I did exactly the same thing last week but it was my arm and back that got the impact, still got the bruises too.image

• Thanks for all your kind words of sympathy. (To be read in a very sarcastic tone)

YM, I share your pain.

Good running folks. Still snowing here.

• HURRAH.....got my ASO bit of paper, in French and English....Sleep easy now image

• ClagClag ✭✭✭
    I need to find my ASO bit of paper. I got my husband to scan & e-mail me my medical certificate in case I manage to lose it!

Tricky Dicky - would you add me plus 2 to the Papa Pasta list if they do something other than pasta. My friend won't eat pasta in any form. Do they do fish or meat or is it just pasta & pizza?
  • Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Quite right Eggy. We don't want no crazy fools messin' up our plan, me and MrT and Leeds Rob and Ingrid are cookin' up!

Naturally I'm 'Face'.

Simon MacDoughnut wrote (see)

I am a big fan of Biofreeze.

However, I was rubbing some into the top of my leg last night and accidentally (honest) rubbed some onto my 'dangly bits'. Not pleaseant. Feels like someone has poured petrol on and put a match to it....

These things happen Simon.  At A&E only the other day, I needed treatment after falling naked from a precarious step ladder when dusting the top of a bookshelf.    Unfortunately I fell, landing on top of a cucumber that I'd left on the settee, whilst simultaneously getting my member stuck in the nozzle of Henry the Hoover.  Perfectly innocent explanation, could have happened to anyone.

• Yes indeed. Accidents will happen....?

• Simon MacDoughnut wrote (see)

I am a big fan of Biofreeze.

However, I was rubbing some into the top of my leg last night and accidentally (honest) rubbed some onto my 'dangly bits'. Not pleaseant. Feels like someone has poured petrol on and put a match to it....

Seriously, you guys, I love this thread!

• Orbutt, my man. Could I ask that you re-post the video from 2012 please? Apologies, I've lost the link...

• What a day..   the thread has moved forward so fast..  will have to read back..

Emmy and RR...   Centurion are on full alert..  the course has now definitely changed due to flooding of the Thames and it will now finish in Windsor instead of Oxford..  distance estimated at about 103 miles.   If you have any intention of coming down, please check the Centurion web site first for latest info.  The new aid stations are marked but they are being very strict that NO ONE other than runners are allowed to some.  No crew, no one.  Please check first.

Malcs..  I don't suffer from chaffing, but I gather that some people do.  

Foruming..   I definitely intend to do a bit of foruming during the Paris mara but may not during the ultra..   I'll see how i feel about the battery life on my phone...  I do have a mobile charger with me, but will still need to be careful.   If I can, I will..  if not, I'll next ATM and she can post updates occaasionally.  

Head torch..   yes, I have an excellent Petzl head-torch..  it has a range of about 100 metres and it totally lights up my entire garden.  It is very light weight and I'm not even aware I'm wearing it.  The rules also require a hand torch and a spare batteries.  I carry a bike light that I took the bracket off.  It slips nicely into my back-pack and weighs very little. Weight is obviously a concern.   I'm starting with 2.5kg of fluids plus whatever the solid foods weighs...  so..  you don;t want to be adding extra weight if its avoidable.

• ATM and YM - Eiffel Tower dress on order. It's the black and white version though, as they don't have the red fabric any more. And I went for the 'Imelda'. We'll look great - just like the Sugababes. Or possibly the three witches of Macbeth image .

DV - I had a look at the revised route and I was going to try and get to Windsor, but if they're not even letting crew at the aid stations I think it might be a bit of a fruitless exercise. I'll be supporting you in spirit. Can you post a link to your tracker thingy?

And talking of thingies - Simon, is it not cold enough where you are, without attempting to freeze dry your meat-and-two-veg image ?
  • PS DLR - did you get the reply to my message? Forum messaging is playing up a bit.
  • BeddersBedders ✭✭✭

+1 for Biofreeze Balls over here!

Following application, Aaways wash your hands before going to the loo......image

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

DLR - I bet the A&E think you're very accident prone !

Check out the 'Veet for men hair remover' customer reviews on Amazon.

• RR..  I'm not going to take the tracker this time.  There isn't any point.  The revised route includes a couple of 'out and back' loops and the tracker trace will get confusing to read.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

These things happen Simon.  At A&E only the other day, I needed treatment after falling naked from a precarious step ladder when dusting the top of a bookshelf.    Unfortunately I fell, landing on top of a cucumber that I'd left on the settee, whilst simultaneously getting my member stuck in the nozzle of Henry the Hoover.  Perfectly innocent explanation, could have happened to anyone.

Brilliant! image 

I saw one of those trainee doctor fly on the wall things a while back where some guy came in with a toilet loo brush lodged up his rear. He had a similar story but the worst of it was that the loo brush had a metal hook on the end! Needed surgery to remove it. I can't help but clench when I think about it.

DV - it's a lucky man who can run for miles sans friction. I now have something else to be envious about. That's a bit of a bummer you're having to be re-routed. Still I'm sure it will be fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to reply. 

• Thanks for the super useful stuff on pacing - especially Danni, Denis and TD.

I love the idea of high-fiving everybody. I'll try - if I can lift my arm. Last year, these were my sorest bits!

I have had a migraine for 3 consecutive days now. Quite frankly, it's become a little tiresome. I didn't sleep a wink last night. After a rather impressive first gas bill, I discovered my heating has a timer and turned it down a bit too low. Instead of getting up and turning the bloody heating back on, I shivered like a muppet in bed. So I'm panicking that I'm getting a cold too.

I'll be staying at the Park Lane on the Rue la Boetie - anybody else there?

Taper madness has definitely set in for me. I am in full send-resend-print-scan-print-reprint-rescanf-forward-write-addresses-send-scan-forward-write-check bits of paper mode...image

Thanks for making me laugh out loud with the ER stories - I needed that after a ghastly day.

I find Compeed plasters brilliant for blisters - my running store here has them, but Boots should do too. Way better than standard sticking plasters and they help to heal blisters that are open too.

Good luck for the weekend DV - you have my deepest respect!

• Running Rodent wrote (see)
    ATM and YM - Eiffel Tower dress on order. It's the black and white version though, as they don't have the red fabric any more. And I went for the 'Imelda'. We'll look great - just like the Sugababes. Or possibly the three witches of Macbeth image .

Oooh. There's still time to order...will have a look. Do they make them in marquee sizes?

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Oooh the Imelda is lovely.  I'm after getting a Crossover in Religious Hearts for a friend's wedding in the summer image

My arse still hurts.  In case you're interested...

• Running Rodent wrote (see)
    PS DLR - did you get the reply to my message? Forum messaging is playing up a bit.

I did and thanks - I'd love to blame the messaging but I was the weak link!

Bedders wrote (see)

Following application, Aaways wash your hands before going to the loo......image

And (this one is genuine) take care when removing chilli seeds with your fingers shortly before a bath.  I did that many years ago.  I screamed a good deal, found mounting the sink in order to run the little fireman under the cold water tap didn't help and ended up with the missus bringing me a pot of natural yoghurt to rest him in, while I cried.

• yer_maj wrote (see)

My arse still hurts.  In case you're interested...

A 'housework' related injury?

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

TJB - that link works on tablets but misbehaves on laptops etc.

IM2 - try this link

Maus - you're just getting your migraine out of the way before Paris. That's good planning image

PC91 - those Veet reviews, hilarious. Almost makes you want to try........kidding!!

• Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    PS DLR - did you get the reply to my message? Forum messaging is playing up a bit.

I did and thanks - I'd love to blame the messaging but I was the weak link!

Bedders wrote (see)

And (this one is genuine) take care when removing chilli seeds with your fingers shortly before a bath.  I did that many years ago.  I screamed a good deal, found mounting the sink in order to run the little fireman under the cold water tap didn't help and ended up with the missus bringing me a pot of natural yoghurt to rest him in, while I cried.

This is possibly one of the funniest things I've ever read. The imagery is priceless!

Clearly i don't get out much...

• Bloody Hell..................

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    Lovely DLR, can't see me eating yoghurt for a while!

Two runs for me today, 6 miles at mara pace and then a sprint session to catch my flight after getting to the airport later than I wanted!