Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I've dropped out of our 12 stage as I'm on a stag do on Friday. I was down for a long leg but as there's a good chance I will be rough I decided against it. I've been asked if I'll still run semi pissed as numbers aren't great but for once I'm quite looking forward to a night out for a change and not having to bother with a long run or race.
  • I'm sure it won't be long before Bus buys a wetsiut and bling bike image

Brick night at the track. (6min bike/800m rep) x 3. Each rep was 3mins - a bit slow I know but this week is a bike week.

Nice session Dachs.

That is a lovely feeling Matt, not having the long run hanging over you.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Funily enough IC, I'm seriously looking at buying a reasonable quality audax bike of a guy at work and  am doing two sessions in the pool this week! Not exactly a bling machine and a wetsuit, but a step closer image. Mind you, any bike has to be the right side of bling or it'd just seem like a typical mid-life crisis image

Matt - good choice. Sometimes a bit of normal life has to come first! 

Philip - just looked at your Gramin trace. Quite a lot of that was my old stomping ground when I lived in Booker and first stareted running. A nice route...

Dachs - what SG said! And Johnas - you guys take it easy with those tough sessions just days after a half - especially you Johnas, you've got a lot at stake coming up! It's all too easy to feel invincible when its going well....

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    SG, someone needs to train like a nutcase, and if DT2 is absent, it'll have to be me. In fairness though, its been a couple of low-ish mileage weeks - didn't break 40 last week, and won't break 50 this week, so can probably get away with it.

On another note, I'm excited to see how Dean goes at Wilmslow with all that XC behind hin. It's going to be a fast one, I can feel it in my waters. Sub 73? Has to be I reckon.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Phil, those garmin traces can tell a story. Looks as though you stopped to tie your shoelaces before taking the first descent and then had a few breathers having run up some steep bits. No stopping after that though.

Haven't been able to upload a garmin trace on the site myself. I've missed something somewhere. 

On some of my long runs, I've stopped so often, the trace resembles a fine comb.

Good to see your form is improving. You and Bus must have met on a 'crossroads' at some point.

Bus, I know you said biking might get you in the back but have you tried a time trial? 

🙂

• Bus, think this should be your aim, did it a few years back and it is the most beautiful race I have ever done.

http://www.trihard.co.uk/ADIL/ADILhome.htm

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

MNW - that does look incredibly scenic - bloody hard though! I would imagine Ullswater would be pretty chilly to swim in too! 

Never done a time trial Ric - all the ones around here seem to be on Sunday mornings at daft o'clock up and down a dual carriageway! I should think they can be quite good fun thoughin a sado-mascocistic kind of way....

I've done a few MTB races, but the last one of those was about 20 years ago!

• Looks like a nice race Max. I'm thinking Ullswater is so vast a body of water it won't heat up or cool down easily.

Maidenhead CC run some TTs round this way, and some as far North as the A4/A404 junction. Thursday 10 milers start 4th April. Tends to be the longer 25/50/100 mile efforts that are on weekends.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Do you have to be in a club, or are they open Iron?

• MDCC's Thursday events are open - sign on the line (£3).

Confusingly Club events are open to all whereas Open events needs club membership!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Iron. HWat could possibly be confusing about that rule image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Dachs wrote (see)

On another note, I'm excited to see how Dean goes at Wilmslow with all that XC behind hin. It's going to be a fast one, I can feel it in my waters. Sub 73? Has to be I reckon.

i see what i can do for you, sir. as i sit here now my plan is to attack it.  This might be foolish but we shall find out image  its dishing out a poor forecast regards wintery showers and wind so theres my excuse already lined up.

went for a slow 6m yesterday and got searing pains in my right calf towards the end.  i am putting it down to pre race hypercondria but will trot out some 400s tonight to see.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dean, go easy, as wise old man Bus says, it's easy to feel invincible when you're at the top of your game.

If "searing pain" is the correct expression, I'd be very loathe to do anything above a short testing easy run.

However, as I've a little pre race hypochondria going on myself, and managed to smash reps Tue with not even a feel (yet i can feel it a bit on easy runs!), have to go on your own judgement!

is normally fine...

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

ha ha yeah i think you are right... its a searing pain a few days before an A race , but a normal pain any other time image  It felt tight and that if i put my foot down it could twang.  But feels ok now.  If i feel it in the warm up tonight i will step off the track.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Sure you'll be fine Deano.  Re your target, I have it in my head that a 32:xx 10k equates pretty decently to a 1:12:xx half (which probably represent the extent of my current career ambitions, although I reserve the right to reappraise if I ever get there), so I reckon you're on for it, especially given that you're probably capable of a faster 10K time than your recent 32:59..

SG - all the bumph about Eastleigh on Sunday says there's limited parking, get there early etc.  What time are you looking to turn up?  Fancy getting there early-ish and getting a decent couple of miles warm up in?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Now that we're on about calf muscles, I went down the local running shop and used my latest winnings on a pair of compression socks.

Forecast for Sunday is a temperature of zero. Right up someone else's street, which is why I'm using them to cover up a bit more than usual. I'll try them out tomorrow.

Must say they look a bit odd. Britney Spears came to mindimage

🙂

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

this weekend's racing is looking tasty!

Assuming you go the right way this time Dean, sure fire PB for you I'd have thought

SG & Dachs - sub 34's on the cards yeah??

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, don't ever think thaty a 32:xx and a 1;12 aren't terrific end game targets!

Just look at the next benchmark, and gradually chip away. I've done my sub 17,35 and 76 targets already, so I guess my next targets will be breaking the less glamorous xx:30, 15 and 45s!

Slightly alarming on the Eastleigh parking, and I just checked and remembered it's a 10am start. Just an 80 or so mile drive, so I should probably be looking to leave at 7.30 or something, eta 9ish?

Wheeling a mate along for about his 3rd race in 3years, but if I see you a warm up with you will be decent, as he'll want to do his own thing. As long as I have time for 1 or 2 last minute dashes in somewhere image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Johnas wrote (see)

SG & Dachs - sub 34's on the cards yeah??

No chance, and very likely.

I need to make sure I don't slip into that "i've already smashed this distance this year" mentality and let it slip. Will do my best not to, as long as everything body wise holds up!

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

Forecast for Sunday is a temperature of zero. Right up someone else's street, which is why I'm using them to cover up a bit more than usual. I'll try them out tomorrow.

It's a good strategy as used by me at Reading... arm warmers, compression socks, gloves, hat - anything to beat the cold (although, maybe I shouldn't have worn a vest?!) link here including shots of me overtaking an 'elite' (and yes, grimacing to the finish!)

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Sub 34's the aim Johnas.  A sub 75 is a pretty decent indicator that sub 34 is on, particularly given that 10K is generally my strongest distance.  34:19 is the PB, and I'm pretty sure that on the day I ran that (last July), in a flat superfast race like Eastleigh, I'd have been close to 34 flat.

You never know though...

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Id be amazed if you didn't go sub 34 given your recent sessions and half Dachs. The weather isn't looking to well up north this weekend so looks like the perfect time for an easy few days. Hopefully its all cleared for Salford next Friday. image
  • Cheers Stevie. . Didn't realise it was a early start. .. Another excuse for a shit time along with weather and training. .. Training was going well until a complete nosedive in the weather. .. Would like to think that my current pb is a fairly soft one, and just turning up would result in a new one, but running isn't that simplistic. ..
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bluie, presuming that you're using a 2nd generation or V50 pb? As otherwise, that 31min 10k might not be soft image

Johnas, how can bear racing with all that noncery on! I ran with gloves on once, in the coldest January for years back in 06, and regretted it within 1/4mile.

I can't abide a hat even in training.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

southern softie SG. I had an accident a few years ago where I severed all the nerves and tendons to my fingers in my left hand and as such, the circulation isn't great and it gets VERY cold. Wearing one glove would look just wierd though. As for the hat, they don't bother me and longish hair and heavy rain aren't best of friends.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i think you should wear just the one glove, and make sure it's white.

And add a few "hee hees" in on your route around.

Stop short of any inappropriate behaviour though.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

And don't black up.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, just seen your boys giving it plenty about their comfortable winning of the Staines team prize at the upcoming 10k.

Be interesting if there was a team who average 32mins entering late on wouldn't it...image

• Stevie... According to my new club pb's are only good for three years, don't know if that's from some official rule book... I'd be happy to get near my wava from 1993...