Thursday 21st March 2013

Morning.

Lyrics - Revvin' up your engine

Quick straw poll - if any one is about before I come back from walking Grace and head out. Legs and back are still a little sore, RHR is still not back to normal, peak flow is still low (though as good as it has been since I became ill). I would like to do a MLR today - but is this sensible in a cost/benefit analysis kind of way? Should I go out, prepared to bimble, and see if the legs will trundle me round 12 - 14 miles or should I just do another easy hour and hope to be in better shape by Sunday for a good long run?

All thoughts appreciated.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

LMH: my view is that you have most, if not all, of your training in the bank. It is now about maintaining what you have and not taking risks, so I would err on the side of caution and a gentle hour is the order of the day.

Lyrics: no

What: another gentle run this evening
    Why: not going to be doing anything other than gentle for quite a while.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Thank you Alehouse. My lovely coach (who I haven't paid for months and am due to resume with after VLM) says much the same apart from of course being tri based he recommends a bike ride or swim today and leaving the run until Sunday to maximise the chances of a good LSR - recovery being the most important thing at the minute.

So:

What:            bike
    Why:             recovering
    Last hard:      deciding what to do
    Last rest:       18/3

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I'm with Ale - I'd rather have an hour easy and feel comfortable, than try to do more. Sunday proved you already have the mileage there, what will a (possibly) uncomfortable 15 prove today?
    As I've said before you have the ability to throw out 20 milers at will, so I don't think you have to push yourself after your recent poorly patch.

what - 6 or 7 steady
    why - marathon training
    last rest - friday
    last hard - Sunday

lyric - possibly

• LMH - listen to coach. After all its only a few days since you raced 6 miles shorter than a marathon!!

No poetry today. I'm still insulted.

2kswim later, 4 mile run, and gym work.

Ale - you are a patient man!!. It is the only way though. If i displayed similar patience I would be running normally now (although painman says i will be v soon!!). And normally from now on will be half of what it was - until i eye my next Marathon - SLAP THAT MAN IN THE FACE.

If you dont try you might not fail but you definitely wont succeed!!!!!

• Morning

Yesterdays lyrics: Road to Nowhere by Talking Heads from 1985

What: 4M Tempo Run

Why: Need to get back

Cold and frosty one

MissB had last minute homeworkon computer earlierimage

Catch up soon

• emzap: Not a  bad day thanks, though our 2 year old Black Labrador 'Geordie' was walked at least 6 times yesterday. He was 'at it '... image

• Dustin - trouble is that for some reason Sunday took so much out of me that I now doubt my ability to knock out 20 milers at will.

Paddy - no racing on Sunday, it was an easy effort - which is why I am unhappy with taking so long to recover. Glad you'll be back at it soon. Never say never, tri training has allowed me to run much more than I ever believed possible.

birks - anything on the horizon?

I was semi-sensible image Two hours on the hybrid bike. Not exactly easy (it's cold and windy) but zone 2 HR so shouldn't have taken too much out of me. Legs finally feel better - though still not 100% - back unfortunately is taking a little longer.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

lmh sounds like you had some good advice

alehouse hope your gentle run goes well

what: 5 miles later with middle 3 in 27 in think

why: schedule

last hard: yesterday morning

last easy: tuesday

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • What: uncertain whether to do short run with JS group tonight
    Why: not run for a week but elbow still quite sore
    Last Hard: 1 week ago
    Last rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: no

No wind yet but still forecast big time for tomorrow

• LMH: Waiting for replies to applications.

Realistically it'll be after 1st April as then its the new financial year.

• Wabo - you are doing really well with your schedule. Hope you reap the rewards in a months time.

OH - rest it - you have along drive.

You know birks you could use this extra time to train - maybe there's a marathon you fancy? image

• StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

Hi all...quick visit...off to US in the morning for two slow half maras, Rock'n'Roll Dallas and Blue Grass Lexington with a bit of a road trip in between and back for White Horse Half.
    Pericarditis playing up so minimal effort, no results yet and consultant in no hurry to see me so no news = good news (Or at least not bad) in my book. Stay healthy all and get well soon all those wot ain't. Will review strategy for London on return. GFA to 4hrs plus is hurting a bit but I'll get over it!
    Lyrics: Nope
    What: Pack
    Why: Hols
    Last Hard: 10th March
    Last Rest....today
    Will plug in as and when I can from across the pond.
    AH...stretch!

• Sorry to hear that the old ticker is giving you trouble SC. Hope you have a great time in the good old US of A. As for VLM, well, anytime is better than not being able to participate at all isn't it?

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Have a great trip SC, leave the keys under the flowerpot and stock the fridge, we'll all be round next weekendimage

managed 5 miles along the Thames ~7:30 pace. Legs still a bit on the stiff side, heaven knows what they'll be like when I really start marathon training...

• I think I've finally beaten mine into submission Dustin!

• LM.H OK I did (rest it)
    SC sounds interesting schedule

• Little Miss Happy - think the advice is good, save it all for the big day.

Straycelt - 2 half marathons - I was going to say you don't do things in halves, but then I thought that was a bit sillyimage

What: 9km on Wellington's waterfront. Beautiful clear sunny, crisp morning. Thank you Wellington.

Why: We went to see Taj Mahal and Joan Armatrading - she was great.

Thought I saw M. while I was sitting sipping coffee in the sun. Just the back of someone who looked like her, but she was gone before I could remember her name.

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Nice session tonight.  Bit of a head cold developed last night so dripping all day but decided to go out anyway as it was 'above the neck'.

Jogged out 3.5 miles then did 7 x 3 mins fast with 2 mins recovery on the way back.  Managed more than 0.5 miles on each rep so was pleased with my speed and strength.

Lyrics - no!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    been a tad busy the last few nights

Yesterday was 8.5m with 6m at MP / Today was the same without the MP

VLM paper work through today image

Take care

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evenng!

What: 20 mns ever so slooowly
    Why: Just sayng! Pleased wth that, and more, much more, of it needed. Slowly, slowly catchee monkey (I think Tom used to say).

Don: decent session, considering how you were feeling.

SC: take big care!

NZC: I nearly said to LMH, what would NZC do! Sounds like fun in Wellington! Thought you were Melbourne bound! And where is M?

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Bad news: This weekend we were at Wedgewood visitor centre and I felt a scratchiness on the ring finger. When I looked, the ring was broken. Major problem now.

Good news.
    Managed a very pleasant, unstressed, wrapped up warm, 8 miler. Even had a chat with a 1:28 HM runner who was out for a plod. It was a god outing. CBA at start, up for it by the end.

Bad news Good news.
    Bike wasn't fixed. Was fixed. Wasn't fixed. Was fixed. Eventually Specialized have replaced my wheelset with a significant upgrade. Well chuffed.

Good news.
    Got a pay rise.

• alehouse - think there is a lot of merit in 20 minute runs - far enough to get your heart working but not too far to hurt your legs.

Melbourne this weekend - think husband is trying to fit in as many concerts as he can! Though after Bruce Springsteen and Jimmy Cliff we are doing some walking trails so that should be fun too.