Options

Hastings Half-Marathon & Sussex Championship

My favourite Half is here again! Doing it for the 14th time this year! Can't wait to see if the hills are any flatter!image

Comments

• Options

I'm in!  Did this last year and enjoyed it so much decided to enter again.  Hope the weather is as nice as 2012!

• Options

My favourite too!  Will be on my list of races every year now image

• Options

Wow, I heard it was a good 'un and you obviously agree.

I also heard it's very hilly....? I have the Rome Marathon this weekend, so my little sausage legs will already be feeling it, lol.

Is the start and the finish in the same place?....and the most important thing of all - do you get a medal? image

• Options
    My first time, yes I know we all start somewhere, how hilly is it and are there big climbs
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Yes, the start and the finish are in the same place. The first couple of miles are uphill but after that there are still hills, but smaller ones and some quite steep downhill stretches to make up for it (which I find more painful afterwards). Instead of a medal you get a commemorative horse brass, which is even better.

• Options

Don't Forget the 2 mile long finish straight! right along the seafront. great if the wind is with you!

• Options

Can an locals confirm what the weather is like down there? I'm travelling down from Nottingham on Saturday and staying over, but debating if it's worth the risk......

• Options
    Weather fine mate. Raining.
  • Options

I'm not missing out on a sun tan on the south coast then. It's snowing in Nottingham!

• Options

Grim looking weather for this time of year.  So different from last year.  Going to be cold!!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I did it last year when someone just in front of me collapsed with heatstroke.

• Options

Weather forecast is 0 degrees and snow. I'm keeping an eye on the website just to make sure. Would be strange to have two halves cancelled in one month - the Funchal half on Madeira (3rd March) was postponed due to a tropical storm.

• Options

Get the Gritters out! I'm coming to Hastings!image

• Options

Am driving down from Lewisham first thing tomorrow.  Looks grim outside, still snowing heavily  but not cold enough to lay.  Reckon there'll be quite a few no shows for this one.  Have checked out the official twitter of the race and there is nothing to suggest that it's going to be cancelled.  Kind of exciting to be doing the race in these conditions as a one off.

• Options
    My second half marathon this year and ever!! Really excited, especially the sea front finish. Has anyone done the Tunbridge Wells half? Is this harder or on same par? When I did Tunbridge Wells everyone warned me it was tough, but I got through it and ran up all the steep hills!! See you all tomorrow, I will be one of the many wearing lots of layers!M
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I have done both and I thought Tunbridge Wells was harder. But that might have been because I was going a little bit faster. image

• Options

Todays the Day! Enjoy it if you can!

• Options

Cold as brass medals today, but really pleased with my new PB of 1:35:26 - knocked an entire 1min 16sec of my previous best which had stood for 5.5 years. Great event, superb atmosphere along the route but ain't lovin' the horse brass image Will be back next year!

• Options

Went much better than expected - got a time of 1:52:30, which was about a minute slower than last year, which was a good run for me.  Struggled with the cold in the first mile as got very cold at the start line even though I stayed in the car until 10:15!  Too cold to be a really enjoyable day though.  Suffered with cramp near the end - probably due to not warming up properly - and went straight home after finishing!  Bravo to anyone spectating - support was much appreciated in those conditions!!  All in all another nice event, very happy with time and will be back next year I hope!

• Options

Did anybody else suffer in the cold, waiting for the "park and ride" bus, after the race?  I waited an hour - there was only one bus running, and the traffic was atrocious, so it was taking 30 min to do the round trip.  Should have at least been more buses, especially in that weather!  Soured an otherwise good event for me.

• Options
    Yes, I was in that queue too! It was bitter, and not great for the muscles to be standing in the cold for so long. I emailed the organisers and got a fairly curt reply, saying that they've only ever had one bus for the return journey and that it's never been an issue before - and suggested that we could have used the free taxi service, which was news to me! I'm sure the only thing I saw in the race pack was a free taxi back to the start of the race, which wouldn't have been terribly useful! Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the event and the atmosphere, and I suppose it made finally getting warm all the sweeter!