Friday 22nd March 2013

Morning.

Lyrics - I want something,
That's purer than the water
Like we were

We have snow on the ground, more coming down and it's forecast to snow heavily all day and most of tomorrow. It's not been an easy winter/spring for marathon training. Sunday's long run is now looking dodgy as chances are the snow will be compacted. Not sure I can run outside today either as whilst the snow is fresh and I would usually enjoy a run in it I know that I tend to engage my core more and as my back is already sore I'm not sure this is a good idea. Will assess when I walk Grace and run at the gym if necessary.

What:           easy run
Why:            I need miles
Last hard:     not being able to run for ages
Last rest:      18/3

Yesterday's lyrics - Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins from one of my all time favourite films.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning & happy friday!
    Birks having a lie in?
    Blisters - good news with the pay rise, good news getting the bike fixed
    what - something short and sweet
    why - Friday is easy/rest day
    last hard - stretching
    last rest - a week ago

Might struggle to get the long run in this weekend, or will have to be early...Essex tomorrow (Schools Inter-counties) and Sunday Crystal Palace (National Biathlon final), Oh and hockey double fixture weekend too.

No snow darn sarf, but still wet and cold. Tbh this is the sort of weather I prefer, not too hot, but not so cold that its uncomortable (seldom below zero since January).

Was wrong with yesterdays lyric, and not brimming with confidence for today.

R.I.P. Pietro Mennea, sprint legend

• tinebeesttinebeest ✭✭✭

Morning!

No snow here, but freezing- good thing I checked the last temperature readings before heading out: gloves and hat needed.

I have been training this week, but was cut off from internet and phone at home, thanks to a "migration" and upgrade for my service, about which I knew nothing until I phoned the helpline the second time. Oh joy for faster internet, on a computer that is too old to notice... 

What: 5M easy

Why: getting miles in, and no stairs today

Last hard: Wednesday 3M with 5kg in the pack

Last rest: Thursday

Lyrics: sounds like something I could know, probably isn't.

Might find time to read back, might not. Train well!

• Morniig from a snow covered West of Scotland.

It's still falling and had to clear MrsB car x2 

4M Steady. Okay run.

A lie i ?, Nope just couldn't get logged on at usual time

Dustin: Agreed re your RIP Pietro Mennea a sprint legend.

Lyrics: Nope.

be back later.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Snow...yes...it's pretty, but seriously, it's Spring now so go away and leave us alone. 

What: some sort of running
    Why: I think the paths are finally clear enough to go out on them. Will leave the what sort of running until I see what the paths are actually like
    Last hard: wanting to go out but not being able to

Blisters wow a rollercoaster of a day!
    LMH glad you're finally starting to shift this thing
    Ale 20 mins is 20 mins
    Birks glad you enjoyed your 1st day off.  Bet Geordie is enjoying all the walks
    Dustin "Not much below freezing since Jan".  We haven't had much above freezing since Jan.

As of last night I'm officially on HOLIDAY!  I still have my 1.5 days a week from home, but seeing as from next week "home" will be Cape Town for 2 weeks, I'm not too worried about that!

Advice on length of long run 1 week before the half, bearing in mind I did a practice race last weekend?  Was thinking 6-8 miles.

Have a good one all.

• emzap: Yeah he's loving all these extra walks...

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Horizontal white wet stuff that isn't settling: not even pretty here!

Emzap: I suggest 50-60 mins at a comfortable pace.

Dustin: sounds a very busy weekend, but sure you will a way to get a long run in...multiple laps of the hockey pitch?

Lyrics: no

What: rest
    Why: caution, plus seeing QofP

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • emzap: Hope you enjoy Cape Town.

ale it's still snowing up here.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all

lyrics no

LMH its not looking like it will be an easy one this weekend!

what: nothing

why: 15 xctry race tomorrow morning now that will equate to 20 mile road run Ireckon, killer hills mud or snow or who knows what!!

last hard: last night

last easy: tuesday

have a good weekend all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Is that the famous Orion 15, Wabo: ran part of the course through Epping Forestwith a friend when he lived in Buckhurst Hill. It was tough! Yes, must be worth 20 road miles, or thereabouts. It is all time on the feet!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

alehouse the very same! Nice course but as you say tough.

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • G'day

4k swim D&D - LMH be quiet!!

12m on non moving bike - d&d

The weather is shite

The little Bovine fecker is still peeping through the fence but i feel he is losing interest in upsetting my plans.

• Just envious of your fish like tendencies image

Good news about the bike Blister's, shame about the ring, why is it causing so much trouble though? It's not as though it's your fault is it? Unlike when Mark lost his on our honeymoon.......

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Yeah, Paddy the weather really is shite image. -5, strong winds, horizontal snow this morning. Dreading my long run on Sunday. The one route where I would have a crosswind most of the time is covered in 5cm of ice. So all is left is the road. Which runs East to West, i. e. one half will be hell image

Blisters: great news on the pay rise image

emzap: enjoy your hols

NZChristine wrote (see)

Little Miss Happy - think the advice is good, save it all for the big day.

Straycelt - 2 half marathons - I was going to say you don't do things in halves, but then I thought that was a bit sillyimage

What: 9km on Wellington's waterfront. Beautiful clear sunny, crisp morning. Thank you Wellington.

Why: We went to see Taj Mahal and Joan Armatrading - she was great.

Thought I saw M. while I was sitting sipping coffee in the sun. Just the back of someone who looked like her, but she was gone before I could remember her name.

Nice running - Wellington is such a great place. Wonder what M. is up to? But she has a tendency to go AWOL for a while and then bounce back with some mindboggling race result image

what: 2nd MLR of the week - 15miles in above conditions
    why: I'm a marathon runner - I must run
    last hard: the final miles hurt
    last rest: 16/3
    lyrics: no idea

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Ale took your advice and did 6 miles.  As Chicka says weather is awful.  Pavements just about ok, but the off road bits covered in about 3 cm ice with a biting wind in all directions it seems!  The lake here is still frozen in places!  Now just some easy running before race day image

• Look forward to the holiday and the warmth emzap!

chickadeee - you are being really determined following your schedule in the face of these awful conditions - this will be one of the reasons you're faster than me.

• Chick - Get someone to drop you off 20 miles away (into the wind!)

• Afternoon

What 10 commute
    Why desperate times
    Lyrics No

Training this year has been so haphazzard that I'm kind of thinking of ditching any goals for VLM and just fun running.

No idea of what to do next as the weather is pants.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

LMH: we'll see on race day if it was worth it ... knowing my luck it'll be 27 degrees and I'll die a slow and painful death in the 2nd half image

Paddy: road ain't long enough (it's about 10 miles ...  ) image

• What's up postie? Illness/injury/life?

chickadeee - VLM is almost always the hottest day of the year so far - but I'd rather have that to run in than this!

7 miles on the treadie for me this morning then an unexpected window of opportunity opened this afternoon so I did the same again. Not the same as a MLR but still miles in the bank.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Paddy that's what I got my OH to do and it definitely works!

• Aberdeen boat deferred until tomorrow.image

Now taking shorter crossing to Scrabster and long drive down through the snow

Oh the joys

• Lyrics? er no. It's that youf setting them again.

Excitedly I had today cancelled. Shame it wasn't a baking hot, flag cracking day though. Managed to get to do those pre-holiday shopping things completed. The ring is in for repair, and the quote was only £35, phew. Why was I nervous about telling the Mrs? Because the ring is a symbol that represents our marriage. A reminder that ties us back to our wedding day. A tell tale to others. More bold than a tattoo, people see it and know what it means without asking. She bought it for me, and therefore I am wearing it on loan. It cannot be replaced, as any replacement would not be the wedding ring.

No snow here, just the worst kind of winter weather. Blustering winds, not quite zero, but hypothermic rain instead. I swam. 80 lengths, with another mile pb (40:13).

I don't fancy either a run or a bike tomorrow, but long one of either is a necessity.

• Blisters - nice development on the swimming.

Chick - get them to drop you off 10 miles out & then collect you a few hours later 10 miles in the opposite direction (oh & bring money for petrol!!)

• Sorry to hear you've had to change your holiday plans OH.

I guess as Mark lost his so early I hadn't had as much time to invest the significance in it Blister's. Mark's ring was a gift to him though - so no loan. Glad you have the situation under control. Off somewhere warm? Another mile swim PB? It's all coming together very nicely. Must say I'm not looking forward to my LSR this weekend either. Have the option to defer until Monday but that isn't looking much better at the moment.

• We are going to something warmer. Even the sea temperature is more than 22 degrees, which will be good, as I want to spend 3 days scuba diving. There has been some discussion about luggage though. My latest wetsuit is 5mm all over, and not as light as my swimming wettie. Running, Gym, and swimming is most definitely planned. That's what I call a proper rest.

• Illness and life LMH.