RW Forum Six – Sub 4.30

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hmm.. Permanent marker... i see temp tattoos may be a good way forwardimage

I'm not sure if i'm coming over... I may do a quick weekend to stock up in tescos's... i'm running low on porridge!

So... Update from this week:

18 miles planned LSR yesterday - i managed 17 before giving up. I walked/ran the last 5 miles as i have hurt something. If this would have been any other weekend - I would have called for help and given in at 13 miles but help has taken himself off skiing so I had noone to call and not enough money for a taxi.

https://www.google.be/search?q=hip+abductors&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_sI8Ufi9PIrJrAeWnYGYDQ&ved=0CEQQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=742#imgrc=4bdnUAXhMA-yCM%3A%3BGiMuOPddQeGDpM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252F4.bp.blogspot.com%252F_gJAaRVFNav4%252FSk0Nhr121qI%252FAAAAAAAAAGg%252FW_SsfyErm7c%252Fs400%252Fthigh%252Bmuscles.bmp%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.health-act.net%252F2009%252F07%252Fouter-thigh-exercise.html%3B386%3B400

I'm not sure if the image will display or not (thanks RW techies)

But on a side view its in the middle right beneath my hip. Consensus on the Paris thread looks like it could be hip abductors. I've got the number for a great sports doctor so will be calling up tomorrow morning to get an appointment and i'm doing some stretching tonight to try and rest it.

BUT... that didnt stop me from 6 easy miles this morning. I wanted to see if the pain was made better/worse by changing shoes and focusing on my gait... everything was well until 4 miles and then i started to feel it again. I tried to change stride/pace but nothing seemed to work. I have RICE'ed it this afternoon so i'm going to see how i feel tomorrow.

The weird thing is - it doesnt hurt when I walk - just when I run.

The plan is 4 recovery miles tomorrow morning so i'll see how i feel and then go from there.

• How's things feel today?

Not sure of the benefits of changing your stride. You could be opening the door to a whole other set of problems if you start using slightly different muscles than the ones you normally use during your stride. Plus your original stride's got you through however many miles previously without problems.

Altho I'm no expert on gait. Come to think of it, I'm no expert on anything really. Except finding Wally in the Where's Wally pictures - I'm not bad at that. And I can see those magic eye pictures as well.

And digressing. I'm quite good at digressing and getting distracted.

Don't know if anyone else here has more knowledge about changing gait.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

How's things feel today?

Not sure of the benefits of changing your stride. You could be opening the door to a whole other set of problems if you start using slightly different muscles than the ones you normally use during your stride. Plus your original stride's got you through however many miles previously without problems.

Altho I'm no expert on gait. Come to think of it, I'm no expert on anything really. Except finding Wally in the Where's Wally pictures - I'm not bad at that. And I can see those magic eye pictures as well.

And digressing. I'm quite good at digressing and getting distracted.

Don't know if anyone else here has more knowledge about changing gait.

You can do magic eye pictures?!? How?!?! I've Always wanted to do that! Whenever I'm at the Dentist - I steal the children's books to play where's wally? and read topsy and tim.

To be honest -I was just trying to see if a change made a difference. It probably lasted for 100m before I resorted back to a walk/run.

Last night I watched a good 30 mins of stretches on youtube and did a little bit of self massage and this morning it didnt hurt at all. I'm making an attempt to focus on stretching, walking around every hour (as opposed to sitting at my desk) and stretching whilst I run.

Let's not lie - I'm actually scared of what it could be but i'm trying to not get all girly here and overthink things. It could just be a simple strained muscle and nothing more serious.

Today I went out for a 4 mile recovery run (again in different shoes*) and no pain. I did a walk/run strategy from the start and it seemed to help. I started to feel 'something' but it could have been the extreme cold getting to my extremities. It's currently -3 and snowing here image I saw another runner who remarked:  Are we f*&king mad? I had to tend to agree.

I was planning to go to the sports doc today (he has an opening at 3pm) but due to work - i've had to shelve that plan and try to get there on Thursday morning.

*= when I talk about different shoes I mean the same brand/style but with a different "age". The ones from saturday were my newest with less than 50km, sunday's shoe was: 600km, today's was 300km. Tomorrow - to liven things up I *may* even change into my Brooks.

• http://www.magiceye.com/faq_example.htm

Try that link. You've just got to kind of get your eyes to glaze over so you look like you're daydreaming, something I'm quite good at.

Things still feel ok today?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Wow.. I think I need to go back to magic eye!

I made an appointment at the dr on Thursday - it was the only day that I could fit in and even now it's looking doubtful... Darn work!

I went out for a run today and it was snowing/VERY cold and a bitter wind. I think maybe the snow took my mind off my hip? I'm doing daily stretching and touch wood - it hasnt hurt me today. I've got a sore back from my desk chair though!

I'm trying to be realistic about the pain so we'll see what happens and what the doctor says but i'm still training but adding in more cross training/stretching this week.

Now - Can anyone recommend anything for the windchill?

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Stay indoors ?image
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Where's the fun in that? image

• Here you go. You'll have to wait till December tho. Average December temperature there's 77 degrees, but with the windchill, it feels more like 76.

http://www.reggaemarathon.com/

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Now *that's* a marathon and my kind of event!

6 miles this morning and i've got another 6 planned for tomorrow before the doctors.

Let's hope it's nothing serious. I'm off for a nice stretching session and will attempt to not give myself carpet burn this evening image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I went to the sports doc on Thursday and apart from massaging my rear he said that I've got a strain higher up on the IT band and was prescribed painkillers, rest and LOTD of stretching. Everything is good so far...

Cue yesterday's planned 10miler. I get to 3 miles and it starts hurting. I forego a tantrum and slowly go home finishing in 4.5 miles. I stretch, rest, ice it.

I do a little tester today (I needed to go to the cashpoint), where 3 miles are completed and this time my hamstring plays up.

I feel like a wreck at the moment.

I've been advice to run every other day and continue with the stretching which I'll do but I'm starting to get concerned image

Please send good vibes to my IT Band and tell it to get its act together.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Emmy - no need to be concerned just yet. The hamstring could be a consequence of a slight change in running style brought on by the other injury.

Your body is now at its most tired. Pamper it, stretch it, be gentle with it. Let it mend. You'll be fine.
  • Emmy - ditto what Orbutt says. You've got three weeks to get sorted - that's an age. It'll maybe take a week till you're right, then you've still got two weeks spare.

Emmy's IT band - get your act together, you're letting the team down.

Emmy's hamstring - pack it in, you hear me.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I love you two! I've been stretching it (pigeon pose anyone?) and doing lots of 'relaxed' running.

After a discussion with Shades - I've canned the planned 22 miler this weekend and instead will be doing a reduced mileage.

This week's runs have panned out like this:

Monday: cancelled as my planned club run was me and my todd waiting for them

Tuesday: 6 miles easy - pain came at 3 miles and left at 5

Thursday: 5 miles easy - pain came at 4 miles and stayed there

Tomorrow: Gym or swim (whatever takes my fancyimage).

Sat: 10 miles

Sun: 8 miles

followed by daily stretching/self massage.

I'm not in a good place today so I'll leave it at that for now. I'll be back at the weekend once i've got my act together image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Emmy - you're having it really tough at the moment but you are strong and you can still get through this.

We are in taper mode at the moment so everything is reducing in the build up to the race.

You have incredible stamina so you don't need to worry on this front but it may be time for something really drastic, that you may have problems with.

Don't run for a week.

No easy runs, no testing runs....no runs

In taper time you have nothing to gain from pushing yourself but everything to gain from rest and stretching.

So, loads of stretching - don't push it to hard but stretch lots. Do you have a roller?

Don't be tempted to run for a full week and then just a slow gentle 5k - see how that goes.

What do you think?
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Orbutt,

Stretching and foam rollers I do have image I've got a tiger tail and a normal roller (like the one RS has).

RE: Runs - i'm deferring to Shades at the moment for advice. She's been with me since I started marathon running and I trust her opinion.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    No worries, you'll get there.
  • Pigeon pose?

Sounds like a good idea ditching the 22.

If you haven't already been doing it, I've found it really helps the ITB by sitting on a chair with one ankle resting on the other knee. Pull the ankle towards you as far as is comfortable, then slowly bend over at the waist. You should feel the stretch in your hip. Hold it until the bite subsides. It's even better doing it sat on a swiss ball if you've got one - you just push yourself forwards on the ball to get the bite

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Yeah, YouTube it! I've been you tubing videos to make sure that I hold them for the correct time.

I'll give the stretch a go. Thanks for the advice.
  • Just been on youtube - ouch, looks way too advanced for me.

I can do the sitting in a chair drinking tea pose quite well tho image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Ooh - weedy - that stretch is punishment! How can you drink tea at the same time?!

I do the pigeon one at the end once i'm fully flexible. I'll not lie -it's not the easiest one in the book! I've been told that it's kinda like karma sutra for runners but i'm too sure about thatimage

I was a good girl today - cut it back to 5 miles and actually went out as the snow was blowing around me. I'm a tad worried about my garmin. I charged it on thursday after my run and this morning it was dead. I put it back on charge and the battery was empty again. Is this due to the temperature? or is it coming to the end of it's life?

• Could be either or if it is like mine when it was refusing to hold charge a simple case of updating the software on it fixing it. Garmin website should say what version its meant to be on and the watch will say what it is on too. Update if they differimage

• I can drink tea while I'm asleep. In my ITLR application, under the special dietary requirements section, it says "Lots of tea" image

I've not noticed temperature affecting the charge on my Garmin.

Did yours definitely charge up? Only ask because I had problems with dirty contacts between my watch and charger. Emailed Garmin about it and they sent me a new one. I assume it was because of my sweat rusting up the watch contacts, so every time I finish a run now I get a cotton bud and give them a wipe as soon as I can.

Or could you have accidentally left it switched on in the house and it used up all the juice searching for a satellite link?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Keith and Weedy - I don't know. I took it out yesterday and it was OK. No issues. I've updated the software just in case and im going to keep an eye on it.

@Weedy - I forgot to mention that! I need tea!

I'm going to bare all now - so if you don't want to read some open stuff: just stop now.

I've been having a think and I'm getting increasingly worried. As i've been told several times in the past week: whatever i do now - will not help my race day result - but it may hurt my injury even more and my injury has been getting worse rather than better.

I need to be smart and not make the injury worse. This means no running, cross training and stretching. I know that going for broke in Paris is a real risk. There are too many other races coming up in the next few weeks and month that I need to think about.

In the next 10 days - I'm going to be seeing what I can do and deciding on my strategy for Paris.

If you have any suggestions/thoughts - let me know.

• Sorry to hear Emmy, but sounds like you're approaching it with the right attitude, and you won't lose fitness between now and then.

There's still time for things to improve, and I'd say you don't really need to make a decision on what to do for ages yet (even as late as heading to the start line on the morning if needs be)

I'd say you're right to look at things in the long term. There's plenty of chances coming up to go sub 4.30, but if you go flat out this time and your injury's not up to it, you could do serious damage that takes months to get over. If you think about it, you've got the rest of your life to go sub 4.30.

Saying that, things could just suddenly click for you. They did for me. Two months ago I was wondering if I was going to even get to the start line, but things just started dropping into place, and now I'm aiming for a PB. It all happened really quickly. Problems became niggles, then the niggles cleared up. So quickly that I was gobsmacked at how it had turned around.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Weedy - i like your optimism! image I'm *really* hoping that it is the same for me. I'm back on a course of ibruprofen for the next few days in the hope that it clears up. 

I'm coming up with 3 plans dependent upon how the next 10 days go and then will use that plan. It's hard for me not to want to throw everything on this race and say: "f*&K it" but I enjoy running too much! It's Day 2 of no runs and i'm already itchy! I've been looking at the swimming pool opening times and they penalise working people a little. Who can go to a pool from 9-5?

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Emmy - I think you're making a smart move. I was a bit worried about what you were going to tell us at firstimage

If you do anything, make it easy. image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Lol Orbutt - there's no way that I'm NOT running Paris but I need to be smarter with my goals. I had a chat with a friend who's currently injured a few days ago and she told me to throw 4.30 out of the window and get through the race uninjured. She's been on the bench for 4 months with IT band issues and she's close to going crazy! (She's more of an ultra runner!)

I've been running on alternate days, stretching and trying to cross train but its still there and still hurting. I'm going for broke in Paris that the injury itself won't break me. I'm banking on the excitement and if necessary ibuprofen to get me through.

The plan at the moment is to run purely on feel. Cover the garmin, no pace band and just run how my IT feels. It could be a disaster because I'm 'focused' on it or it could do me the world of good. I just don't know. Any thoughts?

I was hoping that with rest and cross training it'd be better but it's not the case.

Today I'm going out for a bike ride to explore some new running routes and see how I get on. It's such beautiful weather here that it's a shame not to!
  • Sounds like a good idea ditching the Garmin, pace bands etc.

Maybe instead of concentrating on your injury, you should aim to concentrate on the crowds, the atmosphere, the wine, the sights, the dancers, the firemen...

What I mean is, just turn up and have a laugh and enjoy it as best you can.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Emmy - maybe you should join DVs fun train, which sounds like its going to be a laugh riot.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Weedy - that's my plan. No Ipod- just enjoy the fun and being around a great bunch of people.

I managed a 25km cycle yesterday and felt great. No twinges or anything so am hoping my run tomorrow is OK.

@Orbutt - it's a definite possibility. I'm going to see how tomorrow's run goes and then decide.