P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Oh and in other HeOw news, it looks like I may be a pacer at Chester Marathon for the 4:15 or 4:30 crew!  

• looks like i'll be aiming for a 10k PB in a snowy Battersea park tomorrow morning.

How much time can I theoretically take off for the weather conditions? I'm thinking about 10 mins image

• Same here AG, although I haven't registered yet. I'll see how blizzardy it looks in the morning.

I suppose running in a blizzard means you get an ice bath as you train?

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

make sure you warm up properly guys if you are planning on going at 10k speed!!

• I knew there was a reason why I hated my mid week 14 miler on Wednseday. I have been laid up with the lurgy ever since. Sore throat, shivers and generally feeling rubbish - I think it may be the worst of possible known medical conditions known as Man Flu! I had a rest night last night and am currently contemplating what to do for the rest of the weekend. Was meant to run a 10k on Sunday and do 18 miles tonight, but am now thinking I should probably rest tonight and see if I am feeling up to doing the 18 miles on Sunday instead. Could squeeze a tempo in on Sat if I am feeling better - I said I had peaked too soon!   Also does anyone know how on earth you get from Whitechapel / Stepney Green to Blackheath? (preferably without using buses).
  • i would've thought 10k speed should keep me quite warm, but i'll probably have full length tracky pants and a full sleeved top to keep me warm whilst we're hanging about to start.

i'm just hoping i can get there in time for the registration. they say that the registration desk is open til 7:50am, and i'll be dropping off the missus at work at about 7:30 so need to race back from St Thomas's to get to Battersea. Shouldn't be too difficult at that time.

• Good afternoon all, Blue start for me, think I put under 3.45 on my application so probably a few pens back and mass toilets!

Had a lay in this morning and didn't get out for my run until 6.30am!  Can't run tomorrow so shifted my "tune up race" to this morning, 9 miles with 5 at tempo.  Bloody wind was horrendous so ran four of the tempo miles into, the one with it behind me was a doddle and quite a bit quicker.

Running 20 on Sunday with 14 at MP as I dodged it last week with an HM.  Forecast is snow for us tomorrow so hopefully will have cleared by Sunday.

• I too have a 10k planned for Saturday, in Richmond.

Unfortunately I have a cold, skipped the 14 this week but did the vo2 and recoveries and strides.

Had hoped for a PB on Saturday but now not so confident.....
  • i've just checked on the battersea park run and they offer prizes for the first 7 U50 Men. Hoping the snow will keep all but 6 others away image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

LOL, AG

Nice banter about GFA, FGFA and championship places image

Chris: now is probably the best time to catch the lurgy. I'm terrified of getting ill 2 days prior to April 21 image

Chris J77 wrote (see)
    What's the blue start like then? Is it the crap one? That's where I am.

I was on blue in 2010 and it was shit. Lots of slow runners in front. Make sure you get into one of the first pens! I had put 3:45 on my entry form and law-abiding idiot that I am ligned up in the correct pen image

Surrey Runner wrote (see)
    Bit worried that the green start could be packed with slow 'celebs' and other media types.

On the other hand if Nell McAndrew is running again then can try and use her as a pace maker.

Nell is about to give birth to her 2nd child any minute. I doubt she will be rocking up on the Green start this year image

2nd MLR of the weekd d&d. 15miles. Nothing beats strong winds, horizontal snow and a lovely cool minus 5 degrees image. Anyway, wot doesn't kill ya ...  alternated MP& steady running to make the time pass quicker image

• I intend to jump straight to the front of the blue pens chick. I don't care how much abuse I take. I haven't trained for 16 weeks to be stuck behind 'Dave from accounts' or whoever is just turning up for and will be setting off at a crawl.

Oh dear, I have turned into one of those 'proper' / 'annoying' runners.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

11m MLR this morning.  I was running easy and nearly forgot to turn around at halfway.  When I turned around I realised why.....   the fierce headwind made the remaining miles feel like running through treacle!

Planned MLR pace:  10:48 to 9:54

Actual: 10:12/10:46/10:12/10:15/10:13/9:50/9:46/9:44/9:48/9:49/9:38

Snow hasn't arrived here yet.  It's forecast for all day tomorrow and Sunday morning, so it will be interesting to see if the race goes ahead on Sunday.  If not, I'll run my own 20m route in the snow again again again image

• AG, where did you find that info about prizes? I can't find much about the race online...not that I'll be troubling the top 7.

•  

Chris J77 wrote (see)
    I intend to jump straight to the front of the blue pens chick. I don't care how much abuse I take. I haven't trained for 16 weeks to be stuck behind 'Dave from accounts' or whoever is just turning up for and will be setting off at a crawl.

Oh dear, I have turned into one of those 'proper' / 'annoying' runners.

Push me out of the way gently Chrisimage

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello. Horrible cold wind on my 9mi jog today. If windy like that on sunday will make any new PB's hard to come by.

• JF 50 I was thinking something similar myself.image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    15west welcome to the FGFA penimage

HeOw well done with your running.

Ten well done on yout MLR

Chick great running.

JF50 well done in poor conditions.

Snow drifts and power cuts here in our 3rd winter of the year............

Managed to get to the pool before work and did 1 mile front crawl, today is a rest day for me first in two weeks so no running but will do 30 mins stretching later image
  • NP they showed the outskirts of Belfast on BBC news this morning and it didn't look great for a run.  Good timimg on the rest day

Fiona, combined front we'll hold our ground in those pens, are you Blue?

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Not a good time for the half marathon tomorrow, it's still on but I am not racing it now but will run close to MP if its possible in this wind.....
  • Al, I got a race confirmation letter emailed to me this week, and it was in that, I'll PM you a copy.

• Al, computer says no. won't allow me to attach word doc to message and fails to send if I try to paste it to a message.

I wonder if i can paste it here:

Self Transcendence 10k Race

Organised by Sri Chinmoy AC in conjunction with Run and Become, under UK Athletics Rules.

All courses UKA certified accurate. 

UKA Road Race License: 10K: 2013-105207

• ·         Date:              Saturday 23rd March 2013
    • ·         Start time:    8 am
    • ·         Course:          Loops within Battersea Park

Headquarters

• ·         Located at South Carriage Drive, Battersea Park, SW11 4NJ
    • ·         Map of Registration/HQ

Course Description

• ·         4 loops of Battersea Park, starting at South Carriage Drive, going round to and down Central Avenue, and back to South Carriage Drive
    • ·         Course Map

Competitors’ Notes

• ·         Race HQ operates from 7.15 am
    • ·         Start is a 8 minute walk from the HQ
    • ·         Race numbers to be collected from HQ before 7.50 am
    • ·         2 public toilets around the course
    • ·         Safe bag drop at HQ
    • ·         Shower facilities at Millenium Arena within the park, cost about £2.00.

Getting to the Start

• ·         Driving/Walking: Enter Battersea Park through the Rosary Gate (off Queen’s Circus and Prince of Wales Drive), take a left turn inside the park and walk to the HQ at the end of the car park.
    • ·         Closest rail stations:
      • Ø  Battersea Park – 5 minute walk - exit the station to the right, then take the first right, cross the roundabout and enter the park.
      • Ø  Queenstown Road – 6 minute walk - exit the station to the right, continue to the roundabout and enter the park.
    • ·         Closest tube station: Sloane Square which is a 30 minute walk to the race HQ.
    • ·         Buses: 137 and 452 run from Sloane Square (stop M) towards the park.  Alight at Sopwith Way on Queenstown Road and walk to the roundabout, then enter the park.

Parking

There is plenty of parking in the car park beside the race HQ. After 9am Parking tariffs apply so please make sure you Pay and Display

• looks like it crimped the end off the mail, here's the rest...

After Finishing

• ·         Our drinks station offers water and orange squash near the finish
    • ·         We will hold the Medal Ceremony at about 9.00 am at the race HQ
    • ·         Full race results will posted online within 24 hours

Prizes

• ·         Men U/50:                  1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th
    • ·         Women U/50:            1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th
    • ·         Men Vet 50:               1st, 2nd, 3rd
    • ·         Women Vet 50:         1st, 2nd, 3rd
    • ·         Men Vet 60:               1st, 2nd
    • ·         Women Vet 60:         1st, 2nd
    • ·         Men Vet 70:               1st
    • ·         Women Vet 70:         1st

Race Director

Shankara Smith

Run and Become, 42 Palmer Street

Victoria, SW1H 0PH

Tel: 0207 222 1314

Mob: 07734 298 024

races@runandbecome.com

http://uk.srichinmoyraces.org

• First case of serious CBA to run today, sod it, it pissing down and only a 5 mile recovery run scheduled, and the gym is close for refurb so cant use the treddy.

Only missed 3 sessions so far in the whole campaign when I was ill a couple weeks ago so dont care..

No race for me tomorrow as working tonight so I will have to do a fast session on my own..imagedeep  joy yes I have had enough now, and cant wait to taper,

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

NN - know what you mean. I'm ok with running, but sick of running in freezing winds.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Pen jumping isnt as straight forward as you think. You are allocated a pen based on your time and they put a small number on your bib which denotes your pen. A number of bureaucratic process monkeys check before they allow you into the allocated pen. A number of people got the computer says no response and then had to rush back to the appropriate pen. What time did yo put on your form? Last year i put 3.14 and was in pen 2 which was less than 30 secs through the start.

NN - good one to miss.

• Oh yes ..jobs worth when it come to pen jumping, which to be honest is fair enough, the start is bad enough as it is without tripping over people who jump from a sub 5 hour pen to a sub 3 pen. You are allowed to go BACK a pen if you want to run with a friend.

As for my CBA I bet when I am tapering I will itching to do more lol..

• The weather is rubbish here too, snow and sideways wind, I am not going out either! I can go on the treadmill though in the morning if needs be. 

I am thinking that the Ironbridge Half may be cancelled, I was going to use it as part of a 17 LSR so wait and see what happens, I think they are looking at the course tomorrow but we are expecting heavy snow over night. Fed up with this weather now, (but wouldn't want to change it for too hot either).

I have heard of people being able to arrange a change of starting pen when picking up their number at the expo if they take evidence of a half time which would predict a faster finish than they originally put down. 

• Just re-read my post, wind is always sideways isn't it - duh! image

• Snow everywhere and quite deep, managed a 7 mile up the lanes, Salomons on and headed outm testing run but good to get out.

• pottermiss wrote (see)

Just re-read my post, wind is always sideways isn't it - duh! image

yes it is lol..image