Options

running shorts with gel pockets

hello all ,i am after some running shorts with gel pockets ,i ideally want short racing shorts with a side split but with a couple of side pockets for up to 4 gels for marathon day ,all the ones i have seen are on american sites 

Comments

• Options

Can't help sorry but will keep an eye out for responses here as I have the same issue and can just get longer shorts with pockets.

• Options

Ronhill Advance Cargo race shorts, its a 3" split race short with gel pockets. Exactly what you;re after.

http://trade.ronhill.com/product-images/large/AdvanceCargoRacerShort/BlackLagoon/2.jpg

http://www.athelite.net/images/products/zoom/1333543829-41151200.jpg

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Unfortunately I find the gels fall out the Ronhill cargo shorts - so try them out before a race. I find a gel belt to be the better option

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice Also-ran... but I've GOT to give them a try.  It's always annoyed me that I have no running shorts with a pocket big enough for anything more than a couple of pound coins... and was amazed to find my running jacket had a pocket that's hardly any bigger.   Could never understand why!

So thanks Marc.S  (unless the gels fall out of my pocket, in which case I'll blame you)

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

image The cargo shorts are still a great pair of shorts for me - but looking at the picture I think I have the trail pair which also have a few elasticated bits for sticking gels in. Just don't overload then as they may fall down!!

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I have used them, plus I have a pair of North Face shorts that have gel pockets and I have stitched gel pockets onto other pairs of shorts I won... do the draw string up as with 4 gels and a car key in the pocket a good bit of downhill running will have you bearing your arse in no time!

I use GU gels which are not as tall as SIS, Torq etc so no problems with them falling out.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

I've used the Ron Hill Cargo shorts so far for two marathons, God knows how many long runs, Half marathons etc and they've done the job brilliantly.

I do have the trail versions and use SIS Go gels. You do need to fold the top of the gel pack over and tuck them under the elasticated tops of the pockets but I've never had one fall out yet in 2 years (and the shorts are still going strong too - extremely well made!)

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

*ponders why you need different shorts for running trails*

• Options

I just got these(click) 

I have to say though that I will be adding some velcro as the pockets are just open! Bit of a bad design but they have 5 pockets!

• Options

oh also those guys ship REALLY fast! image

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Wilkie wrote (see)

You don't.

• Options
    Safety pin them to the waistband ... Works !
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    WiB wrote (see)
    Wilkie wrote (see)

You don't.

• Options

Advanced cargo seem to be out of stock everywhere until end March early April must be due to new design coming in from Ron. 

I've had mine on pre order from Sportshoes for what seems agaes now.

Used them before and I think there great. I use Hi5 gels and they seem to stay in.

• Options
    stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Keggi, dont take this the wrong way, but are you large or extra large?

... as Wiggle have those sizes in stock. 

• Options
    I saw a guy doing very well in a half marathon this weekend wearing a Polo shirt and what looked like beach shorts. They seemed just as fast as any other shorts. Sub 90. And plenty of pockets for gels, sun tan lotion etc etc. Prob about a fiver from Asda.
  • Options

As an alternative, look out for football referee shorts.

Particularly with cheaper shorts - I'm looking at you, Karrimor - the rear zip is often stiff and poor quality, and often has a needless flap of fabric over it which gets easily caught.

Ref shorts on the other hand have tend to have deep side pockets (some zip, some not) as well as a secure pocket at the rear.

I got some with velcro rear pockets from the Adidas January sale and they're superb for gels, phone etc. Nike and Hummel also do very good ref shorts with a zipped rear.

Pretty much all of them RRP under £20. The Hummels can be had for just over a tenner.

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Surely you get abuse hurled at your wherever you run.

• Options

I do, as it happens, but that's generally down to the schooling of the local "yoot" and nothing to do with the intended purpose of the shorts.

• Options
    cougie wrote (see)
    I saw a guy doing very well in a half marathon this weekend wearing a Polo shirt and what looked like beach shorts. They seemed just as fast as any other shorts. Sub 90. And plenty of pockets for gels, sun tan lotion etc etc. Prob about a fiver from Asda.

I love people like this. image

• Options

a triblet is great.....will hold up to about 8 gels.......

• Options
    Thanks everyone ,some great suggestions ,I have seen someone with some north face shorts that had great pockets but can't remember what they are called
  • Options

I'm going to use masking tape and stick gels to my shorts at Brighton so if you see me then do cheer me on as I am a newb image

• Options

The north face better than naked shorts have two brilliant back cargo pockets and a rear zip pocket. I love them, they're a lovely length and are very high quality. However you do pay for this.

• Options

masking tape ??!!! That won't last 2 minutes. Duct tape maybe. 

+1 for Ronhil Trail Cargo. I don't know how I ever managed without them. 

• Options

I'd love to hear how Roberto got on with his making tape.

Did a half marathon yesterday and a few miles in there was a race number on the floor that someone had tried to tape to their shirt, just a little got of tape on each corner. I expect the gels would have ended up the same way.

• Options

Hi All,

Masking tape on the shorts didn't stick too well so in the end I stuffed gels and block shots into my arm phone holder thing and masking taped more onto the outside of the phone holder window. That worked fine.

I've now got a triathlon race number belt with gel loop holder things so gonna try that next for a long run image

The masking take thing was from taking bananas to my bike on the L2B, that didn't work so well either. Going to get proper pockets and holders from now onimage