Tissington Trail Half Marathon 2013

Hi All,

Ran this last year. Best race of the year for me by far.  Great route, and lovely countryside blessed by even better weather on the day. A fixture in my race calender for years to come.

Off to enter again right now!

Ian

Comments

• hi

I am really considering it...be nice to do a half after 6 weeks with the kids !!..clear the head and all that.

i would prob come last tho..as only 350 places, and not done any trail races, just road nor am i the fastest of runners image

Doing the Warwick half this Sunday.

Vic

• Just signed up for this, not done it before but heard good things!

• Entered this a couple of days ago having trained for marathons on the trail for the past two years. 

No need to worry about trail experience Victoria, the surface is as good as road for most parts.  Only issue is if it's wet...I ran a 20mile out and back between Parsley Hey & Tissington and parts of the trail that were fine on the way out had flooded on the way back.  I'm sure the organisers will have booked perfect conditions for the day though!image

• Think i'll try this for my first half, victoria i'm not the quickest of runners either image

• bigwave wrote (see)

Think i'll try this for my first half, victoria i'm not the quickest of runners either image

It never said anything about being quick on the entry form I filled in (thank goodness)....No matter where we finish, we all get the same medal....so it's good to have another runner on board!

• Just entered this race, will be my first half marathon sounds like a nice one to do, better start training.

• Was ready and raring to do my first half in Sheffield next week but due to an injury think I'm going to have to pull out image perhaps the Tissington Train would be a good one to work towards! Sounds like a good course for beginners.

• right i've entered, am excited now!

• not long to go now!  how's everyone's training gone?

• Training has gone well, but not sure if I'm in PB shape.

Looking forward to it has anyone had their race packs yet?  I'm a bit confused, where do you park so that your car is at the finish and not the start?

• Not had race pack yet, am parking at the finish i booked the bs to the start
  • Don't think race packs are being sent out until next week, but I think bigwave has. The right idea about parking....I'm lucky enough to have my wife drop me off at the start, then she is off to the finish to spend my money at Ashbourne before I get there! As for training......I've just helped to train & pace my wife to her 1st HM at the GNR & now have two weeks to pick up my own 'Race Pace' if I'm going to trouble my PB.
  • HI, I just found out yesterday that I have a place after being on the waiting list! I am so pleased to get in. I think more events should offer the waiting list system image

Definitely time to up my training I think!! Having run 10 miles last weekend I know I can finish but my main fear now is coming last!!! image

• So I'm confused.  Does it start from Buxton and down to Ashbourne?  Or vice versa?  I PB'ed in a Half a couple of weeks ago and am hoping to maybe PB again...as long as the traily-ness don't slow me down too much.  I've cycled along the Trail but not for a long time.  

• I think it starts at the cycle hire place in Parsley Hey, which isn't Buxton but is in the Buxton direction form Ashbourne  -  if that makes sense!  Don't get worried about the trailyness  -  the surface is usually pretty good  -  cinder track and suchlike.  The only downside I've ever come across is that if it rains *really* heavily then it does have a bit of sitting water but rarely so big you can't avoid the puddles.

I've done the White Peak half several times  -  which is more or less the same trail, just going off on a different spur (down some massive hills!) and it's great so I'm definitely going for this one next year now I've found out about it!

Good luck!!

• Thanks Lilytoo.  I know the hire centre in Parsley Hay.  Not Buxton at all then!  Good, we will be staying with family in Chesterfield the night before and then heading back home to Warwickshire afterwards so is the right direction.  I feel a pub lunch in Ashbourne coming on.  I'm looking forward to it!  

• A cold has played havoc with my last week of training and wrote off my last long run, main aim now is to get to a 100% for race day. How's everyone else getting on with their taper? Anyone's race packs turned up yet?

• No race pack here yet, but I think I got your cold Eberkneesaregood.....my training only started again yesterday after a week off due to lurgy.  I'm still going to try to up my pace & distance ahead of the race, but after a bit of a set back I'm just hoping for nice conditions to enjoy the run.

• No race pack here either. Seem to remember they were late coming last year and only got mine during the week leading up to the race.

• XabiDood wrote (see)

No race pack here yet, but I think I got your cold Eberkneesaregood.....my training only started again yesterday after a week off due to lurgy.  I'm still going to try to up my pace & distance ahead of the race, but after a bit of a set back I'm just hoping for nice conditions to enjoy the run.

Seems to be a lot of colds going around. Managed an easy 5k plod last night, will get out for speedier 10k tonight. Does anyone know what the start is like, is there a lot of jostling for position due to the narrow course?

• It was a bit crowded last year and I think they have increased the entry limit this year so it will be cosy as we only have the width of a railway track. It did thin out quite quickly though and after half a mile wasn't an issue.

• Cheers TLG, no need to sharpen my elbows then image

• Just received confirmation that race packs are sent today! So hopefully we'll receive them soon!

This is going to be my first HM-event, and I'm SO looking forward to it. Still not sure how I'm going to make it to the finish line, since I've been battling blisters for the last couple of months, but I'll make sure I'll make it!

• By the way, does anyone have a decline/incline graph from last year? It's supposed to be mostly downhill, but just curious to see how much and the like! image

• Cheers GW saved me an email. You have chosen a good one to start with. Might not have the crowds to cheer you on but the views more than make up for it. As for your blisters I too have had a few problems of that nature and find that using tape on the areas prone to blisters does the trick.  

Sorry, no graph but it is flat/slightly downhill all the way with one very minor incline which you will be doing well to even notice if my memory serves me right.

• Using tape just moves the blisters to the edge of the tapeimageimage

But been treating the feet with surgical spirit now for a while, and wearing two pairs of socks along with a 'base-coat' of vaseline.. it helps a bit!

And I prefer the smaller (off road) events, not really a big-event-type-of-person: makes me feel claustrophobic! And after all, I run for myself, because I love it (running and scenery), and not for others to approveimage Although some people along the way giving you a 'well done' is always nice!

But, found one in the mean time:

http://i.imgur.com/pYBmxzk.png

http://www.dailymile.com/routes/1321526-running-route-in-68-buxton-derbyshire-sk17-uk

• The Lazy Greyhound wrote (see)

Cheers GW saved me an email. You have chosen a good one to start with. Might not have the crowds to cheer you on but the views more than make up for it. As for your blisters I too have had a few problems of that nature and find that using tape on the areas prone to blisters does the trick.  

Sorry, no graph but it is flat/slightly downhill all the way with one very minor incline which you will be doing well to even notice if my memory serves me right.

By the way, the confirmation was sent to everyone, for it stated:

The Tissington Trail Half Marathon takes place on Sunday October 6th 2013 at 10.00 am.

The fact that you are receiving this email indicates that we have received your entry. Your race number and race instructions have been mailed out today. If, for some reason, you do not receive your number towards the end of next week, do let us know and we’ll make arrangements for a replacement number to be made available for you.

If you haven't received an email, perhaps you should check your entry? image

• Race pack arrived here yesterday. Number 11 for me.

GW, sounds like you have really been suffering with those blisters. Is this just something you are cursed with or is down to a change of trainers?

Well done on finding the graph. If you look very, very carefully you can see the "incline" I was on about image

• My race pack has arrived!  

• Got my race pack and bus ticket, looking forward to it!