The Middle Ground

Comments

• Yes eat well as soon as you get in from a fasted run Bob.

Mr V - I'll buy you a pint when you run your first sub 4:50 mile.

Kelly - roads are clear down here with no more snow forecast. The race will be on IMO
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I bet Kelly had gloves on as well!

I stepped out the door and headed back home 0.4 miles later.  How pathetic is that?!  Snow was making a sloppy slushy mess on the ground and I just got pissed off tip-toeing through it not getting anywhere.  That was this morning; it's all gone now but I just CNBA.  Piss off weather.  image

• Managed to get just under 4 miles in this morning, but not Parkrun. Ended up being the worst of all worlds. No lying snow last night, so stayed off the grog with the intention of going this morning. Woke up to a heavy covering and bucket loads still coming down. Went back to sleep instead as whilst apparently it did go ahead, I don't trust myself at the moment not to blast anything that's being timed and I'd have probably done myself a mischief.

What I did manage instead was a brief, but angry progression run, the final complete mile being 7:25 (approx LT pace) despite the slightly dicey conditions underfoot. As Phil says, piss off weather. Was horrible out there, the snow seemed to be blowing into my eyes whichever direction I was running in. Absolute joke this now.
  • Phil - 3 pairs again! They were painful, numb and tingling before I even put them on.

The wind was brutally cold.

BBB - I often literally shake my head or curse out loud during a run due to the ridiculousness of the conditions. It is more to do with the realisation that we are actually voluntarily torturing ourselves!

YD - I'm just being a wimp. This is one ocassion where I wouldn't really mind a postponement. I'm also trying to delay the disappointment with the result. I'll HTFU and get on with itimage

I did a bookend session of 4x0.25m 5Kp | 4m MP | 4x0.25m 5Kp w/60s rec (the 4m was continuous) on Thursday, after my usual warm up and averaged about 6.47 | 7.33 | 6.45. I need 7.24 to beat an incredibly old 10M pb. I'd like to say it should be a given, but my chest has been knacking - getting my excuse in image - and nothing is guaranteed. I've added an extra dose to my usual preventer meds, but I don't even know if it is doing anything. Some days 9mm is a push.

I think you asked what I was hoping to achieve on Monday? The asthma diagnosis is simply from doing the peak flow monitor at the GP's. No other tests at all. From the lung function tests I had as part of this study thing, really I just want a confirmation of either I do have it, or I don't and I'm just doing something wrong CV wise. If it is confirmed, I think they said they would give further info on how to treat it from a sports perspective as clearly the x puffs a day isn't doing much.

Don't run me over tomorrow. Like I said before, lead car seems like far too much responsibility!
  • Evening all, finally get to check in and find bad news for YD, followed by some hope, great running from Phil and some encouraging signs elsewhere. I hope the following will inspire some envy and also some "not for all the tea in China" feelings.

I've just started a year off work, most of which is unplanned. However, I fancied doing some African running and realised it made sense to do that before the marathon rather than later in the year. So I've been at 9000 feet in Ethiopia for just over 2 weeks, with the same to go. The weather here is like a British summer - low 20s, hot in the sun but often overcast and windy. So that's lovely. But the running! Oh my god. At home I can clip along a little under 8 on a long run, here...well, the first mile might be like that, but the others! Today was the worst - I wanted to run to time, figuring that 20 miles might be optimistic, and I just about managed it. Over 3 hours for 18.5 miles, all the miles from 12 onwards were over 10 mins and even when I finished I had to have a sit down by the road, 3 times, before I could make it back to the camp. Anyone else run at altitude, to know how I might use the BS calculator to work out what that was worth?!

Enough of my struggles. It is quite entertaining being so conclusively the slowest runner here, aside from the odd couple that turns up without realising it's a training camp place - it is decent accomodation for anyone, after all. The next up is a 14:47 5k runner, who himself feels out of place (!), but at least he can keep up with our female 10k olympian. I guess he's just not used to having a female training partner at pace. There was a young dude from Qatar who's left now, 400m runner, who came back from an interval session having run 500m in 63aecs or so. Oh, and the Olympic 1500m champion was running some strides earlier.

Meanwhile I plod on; so far one mile and some 800m reps under 7m/m pace. I've missed a long run, plus one when in the UK, and have absolutely no idea if I'm in marathon shape or not, and won't until I can run at sea level!

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow. I'm on for a few gentle miles and that's my lot!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Other, not to be cheeky, but did you book the wrong training camp or something? image

• Ha! Well, they let me in. And it's not a place where everyone runs together or owt. Just as well!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bit quiet in here, so allow me a quick race report!

Eastleigh 10k, 34:30, 13secs taken off.

Was a good result, as I'd taken 37secs off 7weeks ago, so tidies things up nicely I think

Certainly a fast course, the wind wasn't ideal in places but nevertheless definitely a do again job. Didn't quite have the atmosphere of the Chichester 10k in my opinion, seemed to be a slightly higher quality there.

44th today, 70th at Chichester for comparison.

Also perhaps the ultra crowded start at Chichester makes you feel it's more competitive, than the massive wide start line here

• Afternoon everyone, some time to have a wee read back and report on today.

BBB, easy pace will be quicker than if you were running, say, 10 hours per week - right now I can run 7:30/m for half hour runs quite easily yet I'm only doing 25mpw. Were I doing double or triple that I'm sure I wouldn't be able to.

As YD suggests I'd try some pre-run breakfasts, means you get the training out of the way before the day has started.

Mr V, nice 2s and 4s there, yeah get yourself to a 1500 or 800 and see what happens! Could be someone with quite a good conversion rate.

TOM - wow, very jealous! Fascinating to hear about the effects on altitude - and of course the company! Any chance of catching Makhloufi taking anything..... image

Well I ran the 800 today, a few days I didn't think it would go ahead and the conditions this morning almost had me convinced not to bother! 30mph winds, temperature maybe 3 celcius at best. I was wearing three layers, tights and gloves. As we lined up it started to snow.

Unfortunatly it was a bit of a boring race. Slipped into 8th at the break, held station through a 64 first lap that was pretty tough with a strong headwind. Took 7th after 500m, then 6th was too far ahead to pass but made up some good ground in the final 100m (which, into a headwind was an absolute death march for everyone). 2'13.59 the result, feeling winded but not dead on my feet. 

Turns out 6th place has run 2'08 indoors this year so it's not inconceivable that I could run something close to that right now. Not disappointed at all, did what I could given the tricky conditions and race context.

Did the 60 as well.... really not great, 8.6 and I was all over the place. Less said about it the better. 

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    Well done SG great going nice PB. Got another big PB there today with 38:56 on the chip (set out with the intention of a PB at the start if the year which meant faster than 39:49). Things are definitely heading in the right direction following 41:28 at the Stubbington 10k in January, 40:45 at Chichester, 40:24 at Winchester (undulating/hilly course) and now today. I think I performed better at the Llanelli half a few weeks back, my splits today were not as disciplined...my first mile was in 6:01. I thought that would leave me in danger of blowing up but the stamina has improved a lot with additional mileage recently so was able to hang on (although was dropped by one particular local runner who seems closer to me at every race near the end...one day I'll get him!). That's also Eastleigh for you too...no thrills but does what it says on the tin! Not a lot of time right now to comment much more but will get back to what everyone else has been up to tomorrow! Got a job interview to revise for now!
  • WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    ....going to order a huge takeaway tonight too to celebrate! I really won't care if I'm half a stone heavier tomorrow!image
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you're going through the gears quickly WFH. No sign of a levelling out yet!

Did you think Chichester "felt" like a bigger race than Eastleigh? Or is that just my random feel?

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    Not yet which is very pleasing! In some ways it certainly did, although I'm pretty sure last year had a fair bit more support at the start which you pass again at 6k but thats probably because it was over 20 degrees easily last year. I think Chichester is also a more scenic course which adds to it all....had a mate that came down from Wales to run Eastleigh last year and he got a decent PB at the time! Maybe a few missed this one today (those travelling from further afield) because of the conditions....it's hard to measure which is the bigger race for that too I guess! Might be worth checking last years results...For me, it's Eastleigh over Chichester for getting a PB but Chichester is more rewarding for the rural scenic route!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I think Eastleigh, or at least the way they put the km markers up plays havoc with your head.

When a km that i thought i'd monstered downhill came out slower than my target pace, I did wonder what was going on. (5th km), but it was obviously long!

Quite a tidy race though, I'll be back hopefully. Could have given some kind of momento at the end though!

Or at least give the t shirts out at the end to stop you feeling you've been short changed.

Though a banana was interesting!

• WJH - excellent, well done!

Comedy splits at the Thirsk 10M today. Crazy, crazy wind, especially in the last mile - just when you need it image

I could be disappointed with it, but I'm not. First proper race in well over a year and at least I finishedimage. No, on any other day, I think I would have got a reasonable time - which actually would have shocked me about where I am fitness wise if I'd been able to hold pace until the end - and gives me much confidence for my next few races. If only the race had finished at 5m, it would have been great, ha.

Post later once I've decompressed from the kids.
  • WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    Lol at the banana! Normally they give out cake, I think there was some at the end...but missed seeing that too! From what you say, I'm glad I had my Garmin on mile rather than km splits! Although it messed up at the end and showed my last (1.14???) miles at 8:24 pace...interesting! but think the trees may have totally messed up the readings. I'm a snail with the sprint but not quite that!image Ran the majority of this with a young club mate who was on course to go about the same time as me until he got cramp at 6k...gutted for him although he still managed under 41.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i'd normally have wolfed the car down driving home, but since I dumped the old heap of metal about 4 days ago, i thought no I won't wreck this car this early!

The kms were fairly wrong at different places. It was slightly blatant when one was on alampost, then about 50metres later you saw the reading on the floor!

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    Well done Kelly and thank you. image It was a bit windy in places here today but nothing like that from what you describe there! Sounds encouraging though with the progress on holding the pace! Best get on with this interview revision now. image
  • SG - sorry, missed your post. Another great pb. Just goes to show that no matter how long you've been running, you can still massively improve with the right training.
  • I'll post up later and when PRF posts his, maybe we'll compare a similar dropping off the cliff to prove it was the conditions and not just because I blasted off too fast image
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Kaysdee, look forward to your report later.

In fairness, I think i "lean" on my 11 years running a bit at times, as if I'm honest those early years were really bumblin and just doing it off footy training.

But since that Moraghan thread started almost 3 years ago it's come along nicely.

And the beautiful thing is that I seem to feel fresher these dasys then I did at the start of it!

• Just popping in to say a couple of congrats, going out for the marshalls curry and beers in a bit image

Monster PB WJH image Double image You are flying now!

Stevie - not so monster a PB as WJH, bit still a very very good performance from you. I doff my cap to you sir.

Duck -  a good start to the year, well done.

I can confirm that Kelly and prf had it tough today, that wind was brutal. I was marshalling at about 9.2miles and believe me that wind would have taken a lot of time off a lot of runners. Easily worth 2 mins, maybe more. Well done for very solid runs both of you. 

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Hello! Sorry been awol the last few days what with one thing and another ... have read back though!

Mr V great to hear that you had a good trip and were able to load the miles without any problems, but I do think we are going to have to change the name of the thread to the middle distance ground if we arent careful! Hope you can get dwn to train with Gateshead at some point and see your potential.

Alehouse hope the 20 minutes hasnt caused any problems, though I guess the weather may be enforcing a rest right now anyway?

Phil glad to see you over your cold mostly and it must still be pleasing to be running at that pace when not feeling too great. Love your taper talk and agree with Alehouse about getting the bugs out of the way now!

BBB seems you've had loads of good advice again, and are making good progress as well. Hope you find a way to structure your week that works and good luck with the 10 miler.

YD how is the rest going down? Helping the driving skills any? What was it like doing the lead car?

Dash you jessy! Mind you I see on FB that someone gave you your just desserts for being a ponce and passing out hahaha

Kelly nice bookend session by the way nd sorry about conditions today, but if you are happy thats the main thing at this stage - you will no doubt be itching to go out and so what you really can do so hopefully the weather will be better next time. I saw on fb that PRF also had comedy splits so you're not alone!

TOM b*rstard!!! Hope you are enjoying the trip despite being outclassed running wise. Cant imagine the fitness gains you must be making just by running there. Jealous (and about the weather too!).

Stevie nice work on another pb - you are flying at the moment - whats next training wise to get to 33.xx?

WJH wow I knew you were fit currently but wow. Well done!! Awesome progression at the moment.

Duck thats a good time given the conditions and good racing given the stage in season. Anything you will change for next time?

Busy week for me 62 miles, including a 21 miler on Fri and 14 with 10 @ 7:31 today. Feeling good, have Madienhead @ MP next Fri and have told Moraghan I am willing to run one more lsr if necessary, already have 9 x 20+ though so suspect he will play cautious and start my taper now. Eeeek.

• Curly, It was cancelled anyhow; doing one Friday instead and the FB pics were merely me getting some quality recovery time!

Nice breakthrough WJH!
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

SG - Congrats on another consecutive PB on a crap day!

WJH - Brilliant! Your 10k PB is in free-fall.

TOM - Been reading your adventures with interest.  I've conducted a small altitude training experiment on a treadmill in Alpe D'Huez, but it's not quite as exotic as East Africa!

Curly - That's loads! Embrace the taper (by way of smacking a 10 miler... see you there!)

Glad to see some racing took place today, but the Southern road relays got binned.  We didn't find out till we were half way up on the train, so we did a 20 mile club run on lightly snow-dusted paths round Milton Keynes @ 6:49/m, after which the legs felt better than they've done before at that distance.  We fancied our chances today so it was a shame not to be competing for a medal - or better - but in marathon training terms it turned out rather well.  Also I supersized my half roast chicken in Wetherspoons for £1 extra, and got two Yorkshire puddings.  image

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Ah Phil I'd wondered if you were in the team - Magpie was on the M1 when he heard image Ranlegh boys went to Bushy and did a 10kish "race" which was "won" in 35:21...not bad for a hastily arranged session!

They then ate all the snash they had made for the relays in the car park, so even less glamourous than you weatherspoons. Love the spirit of your club running 20 miles around the relays course image

Looking forward to seeing you at Maidenhead - do you want me to bring some cheese along?

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Oh and if you are desperate for altitude trainnig you can get it at the Sweatshop concept store in trump street... possibly cheaper than Ethiopia!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Cheeeeese!  Yes please! image  My thoughts have already turned to food for the weekend. Obviously the most important element of the Easter festival as far as I'm concerned (funnily enough this was even the case when I was still pretending to be a good Catholic, since Lent usually meant giving up something nice like biscuits!)  Hot cross buns for breakfast, methinks.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

Nice PB lowering, SG, and even nicer WJH.

Not the slightest it jealous, TOM. Sounds far too tough!

Curly: some nice training going on. If I were you I would hammer Maidenhead and then wrap myself in cotton wool. Likewise Phil.

YD: demoted from driving?? Rather cold by the sound of Kelly's report. Look forward to PRF dropping by with his. Enjoy the marshalls' rewards!

No snow here! However went to watch at Wilmslow half today: witht he wind chill factor it was -7. Never really got warm despite many layers. Walked about 1 hour 20, of which 20 was slow running. No problems from Thursday's 20 minutes; legs feel very tender from Friday's physio session though.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Evening all,

YD - I'm not sure I actually thanked you when I realised it was you and tried to exclaim a polite version of FFS. That last mile felt forever.

Curly - hard work done now, you are well trained. Enjoy the 10M and look forward to the big one.

Phil - mmmm, Yorkshire puddings image

Alehouse - glad you have had no reaction from the run.

I didn't find it freezing today, remember, I'm from Newcastleimage. It was very cold while waiting for the gun, but fine once running and one pair of thin gloves were sufficient. There was the odd take your breath away cold extra strong gust now and then, but otherwise ok. I was looked at like I was crazy several times for the vest and shorts.

It was the wind that was the issue. I can almost pinpoint the exact moment it all went down hill and the bad thing was I knew it was going to get worse as we gently turned back towards town.

Off for a bacon sarnie, then race report...