P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

AG well done on the PB.

Well done to everyone else who has managed to get any running done today. Not really looking forward to wilmslow half tomorrow mainly as could be lots of hanging round before and after race freezing my cockles off.

• AG image fabulous well done indeed,

I cant believe how bad some of you have had the weather,its been pretty dan cold and wet here but now snow, today is dry and very cold,

No 10k race for me as in the middle of shifts so I decided when I woke at 2 to drive to our clubs 10k race route and run that as fast as I could, and I got a PB 46.40 !! not an all time pb but the fastest I have gone over 10k in about 10 years I HATE 10k and it was the first distance to suffer once I reached 40 years, pleased but also disappointed it wasn't a real race as I could have gone 45.** I am sure under race conditions.

Hope not too any of your race are cancelled good luck to those who are racing 

• Well done AG and Al Runs image new Pbs both! 

Nice run too NN image

The Ironbridge half is cancelled so I will be doing my long run solo, I was only using it as a training run anyway so now I will probably run later in the day hoping it might warm up a bit by about lunchtime (I can but hope). 

Good luck to those doing Wimslow tomorrow.

• AL sorry I missed your report...well done thats an awesome time

Pottermiss how disappointing image at least you get a bit of I lie in image

• Well done Al and AG on the pbs! I hope this streak of smashing pbs continues till next month.

Well done NN and everyone else that has got out today.

My plan was 8 with 4 @mp but I really struggled. Ended doing 1 mile at mp and just felt too tired/cold and couldn't be arsed today. I managed 7 in total, just glad I did something.

I don't know about everyone else but I'm feeling ready to start tapering now, getting a bit sick of training and feeling knackered.

Don't think this weather helps either!
  • Mark I had a CBA yesterday and did sweet FA so you did better than I did on your CBA day image, its been a long hard winter, the weather has been abysmal and yes I am sick of it too,  we are nearly there, this thread has been a great help and we have kept each other going, I have done sessions I would have skipped (the mp 14 for example) I would have skipped it and just done a long run, but having seen how important it was and it was a much talked about session on here that I realised it had to be done,

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Al Runs great 10k in the bank and looking good for that sub 3. image

NN fantastic running and looking good as well for London.

Mark we all get days like that during the build up it will pass you just need to rest.

Good luck to anyone who's race is still on.

20/22 tomorrow image
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Nooooooo... don't keep saying how important that session was! I still haven't got round to it. image

• NightNurse - hang on, let me get this right...  You got up at 2AM and went and did a 10k PB on your own, in the middle of the frigging night?!  imageimage  Bloody hell mate!

Men - I am glad I moved from near Ruabon, I used to dread the winters.  We lived on an old estate called Wynnstay, we couldn't get out of it if weather was atrocious.  Err, I am on Facebook but I am a self obsessed narcissist so thats okay. image  

I will pace you NoPain, you will get a personal worst but I am sure we will have some laughs. 

Al and AG - well done on the PBs!  Brilliiant stuff.

Fiona - do you run to parkrun and then back?  Do you race parkrun or just run it easy?

I tested foot last night on 5k recovery run on the roads.  Not a niggle, it felt normal again.  I think I will race Wilmslow tomorrow and to be honest, the thought of doing 5 miles before hand as well as race, in minus degrees and wind, fills me with dread.  I can do my 18 with 14 MRP next week as I am not sure I can fit tune up race in (Salford 10k) so I can't see how racing tomorrow will be a bad thing.  Also, I would have thought the point of the 18 with 14 is you do it all at once, not with 2 hours in between?  I doubt I will be faster than Wrexham, the weather and course isn't as comfortable. I am hopefully rescuing Craig from his snow in, I will drive to one of the main roads which are clear near him and pick him up and hopefully another one of our friends (she is trying to find a number, she is a fellow club runner with Craig) up so they can do it.  You have to help each other out in times of life or death! (i.e. racing or not!).  15W - do you have a profile of elevation of Wilmslow at all? 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

http://racemaps.org.uk/wilmslowhalfmarathon.htm

Few hills at the end HeOw - but with that easterly wind going to feel like climbing Everest. I've got a bad feeling about tomorrow.

What time you planning arriving in Wilmslow HeOw? Could be traffic jams.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Saying that I think a lot of people won't turn up. Only about 1/2 entrants turned up for the Manchester marathon last year (I think).

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

...and what you planning on wearing? gloves are a must of course, but what about layers? Not sure whether to wear one or two layers...and whether to have the outside layer a windproof. It's not just the cold temperature, it's that wind. Poor old anxious 15W.

• It looks a good course profile, looking forward to it now i'm going, thanks to HeOw, making the trip to Wales to pick me & a clubmate up.  Nice one.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

15W, rather you than me, but have you got a sleeveless windproof gilet? That'd keep the wind off your chest without you overheating as you warm up.

HeOw, glad the foot is better and that you're rescuing Craig. I would think any benefit of doing an extra 5 miles beforehand not even as a warm-up would be negligeable, and had assumed that the 18 with 14 at mp thing was to allow for a warm-up and cool-down rather than to make you do extra miles anyway.

• Heow no you idiot ...I worked a night shift slept the morning away then got up at 2pm...FFS lol..I know I am mad but not that mad..

LIT DID I MENTION HOW IMPORTANT THE 14 MILE MP SESSION IS ??????/

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Come to think of it, since nobody seems to think the 14 mile mp session is that beneficial, I guess it won't matter that I've skipped it...

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Lit- you haven't missed the 14mi mp session have you?

• Not beneficial !!!!!!!!  it bloody well better be, I suffered all sodding week after that, only got me legs back today !!!

Stop being a lazy little lit

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Wah! My sub-3.15 attempt is DOOMED.

• Thats it...you may as well defer !!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Yeah, and it's all your fault: look what you said:

Night Nurse wrote (see)

Lit those cold baths must work, think about it, it just icing but a bigger area. May be wise to leave the MP run though I agree,

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

You're on, Mark, let's just spend all day in the pub watching the others on telly.

• Sounds good I'm sick of running anyway image
  • HeOw - the amount of running I do with parkrun varies according to what I'm supposed to do. Sometimes I run there and back and do parkrun at GA pace. Sometimes get public transport there and back, sometimes run one way. I don't think I've raced a parkrun for about 6 months as I've always been marathon training. I should have raced today but the weather wasn't exactly conducive and besides I ran 11 miles last night.

Lit - I'm not sure I can class what I did last week as 18 with 14@MP.

Best of luck to all the racers tomorrow.
  • Good luck to everyone racing and long running today.

Just got out of bed after snoozing my alarm for an hour and a half heading out for 20 miles this morning.

4 weeks to go!
  • After spending the last 3 days shi**ing myself, I am up and about to also make up for lost time with a 20 miler. I have worked my route out to go passed every public convenience that I can think of!
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

LOL Chris image  good luck

22 planned for me today. Wind has improved on yesterday. Bright, sunny, still a bit windy and freeeezing (-8 this morning)   brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Al runs: impressive 10k debut image

NN: excellent solo effort. You put me to shame. After they cancelled my race last Sunday I lost my mojo to attempt a 10k on me own image. I hate them anyway - they HURT!

Lit: I'm probably fcked as well - have done very few of the scheduled MP sessions due to shite weather ... why is it that on the day of a race or an important workout there is always ice or snow in winterimage ??  Not sure I'm going to bother with a spring mara again. Autumn racing is so much nicer coz you have the lovely summer mornings for training image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Re. the missed mp run, I'm trying to work out when to do it in the programme. I don't want to sacrifice my last proper long run next Sunday and had wanted to do 22 rather than the 20 in the schedule. Maybe put some mp miles (but maybe not 14) in there? Or I could do it the week after, so 2 weeks to race day, when there's a 17 scheduled anyway - would that be too close to the marathon?

Good luck to everyone racing today! Or indeed running at all. I'm off to climb ropes for 5 hours and already feel knackered just thinking about it.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

PS: chick, totally agree about the autumn mara if I can ever be arsed to do another one. Also my job's way more flexible with timing in summer, which makes it even more thick of me to have decided to train all winter instead.