RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Ricky - that's bad luck mate. Lets hope Omagh is a PB route.

Carl - sounds like you are getting over your illness. A good weeks rest and a few runs to keep the legs turning over and you will be ready for Paris.

Oirish - I've viewed a photo of me online at my first half. It wasn't pretty I can assure you. Good that you've done all your runs but sounds like you weren't feeling your best.

So. We have had loads of snow here. I thought I would take to the paths in the woods and go round the park. I figured running on paths/grass would be ok on my knee. I ran in about 6 inches of snow on the golf course and it was hard going but i fekt good and strong abd was enjoying being out in the snow. I did 5 miles @ 10:30 and felt quite good. The knee however didn't agree and was quite painful when running but not too bad when walking. The roads round here are bad so I'm hoping I can get to have my massage tomorrow. In the meantime I have a nice bottle of Rioja keeping me company image

Keep warm and safe everyone
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Oirish - that should have said you've got your runs in despite not feeling your best. Well done mate
  • Best of luck with the massage Carter

it's grim outside. I'm staying indoors today...

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    No massage for me today. This place has come to a standstill due to a foot of snow and no gritting done. We live in a hilly part of town and we can never get the cars out when it snows. Will need to rearrange a massage but in the meantime I will rest up.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Dropping in up see how Carter and Carl are doing.

Carter - are you injured? The last i heard you'd run a great HM. What's up?

Carl - you sound ill? As spoons says you've got loads of time. In 2010 when I was mentored for my sub 3:30 marathon I became ill in the week leading up to it with a really bad throat infection and was on antibiotics. Slept in the train down in the Friday, couldn't eat etc, went to registration but still unsure I'd be able to run. Saturday felt slightly better and decided to attempt it. The first 13 were the hardest and I felt unwell but carried on and finished 3:28. Felt 100 times better at the end. So don't give up!! In someways being ill might if helped because I was really rested.
  • I remember one year I hit week one of the taper feeling rubbish. Not so much ill but exhausted and full of aches, pains and niggles. I had a full 7 days of no running. Taper week 2 was a normal training week and taper week 3 was a normal taper week 3. Marathon day I felt great. The week off got rid of all my fatigue.

• Went out this morning intending to run my 22ml LSR.

Was a last minute spur of the moment decision hastily arranged with my running bud by phone this morn so wasn't prepared as well as I might have been and had only a light breakfast.

The weather was brutal with high winds & snow flurries so it was a tough session. Pushed on to 18 mls and called it a day - avgd 9.11 mmls for the run. This felt tougher than last weeks 22mlr.

Lesson learned is dont underestimate the effect of the weather & proper fuelling does make a noticeable difference.

Any - a good enough session I think and gives me a day off/recovery run day tomorrow.
  • It's truly horrible out there Ricky. That wind makes running really tough. 

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Minni wrote (see)

Carl - you sound ill? As spoons says you've got loads of time. In 2010 when I was mentored for my sub 3:30 marathon I became ill in the week leading up to it with a really bad throat infection and was on antibiotics. Slept in the train down in the Friday, couldn't eat etc, went to registration but still unsure I'd be able to run. Saturday felt slightly better and decided to attempt it. The first 13 were the hardest and I felt unwell but carried on and finished 3:28. Felt 100 times better at the end. So don't give up!! In someways being ill might if helped because I was really rested.

Minni - thanks for dropping in. Yesterday I was cautiously oprimistic that I might go for a run on Sunday. Today I am giving up on that idea. Partly due to the weather as if not 100% right this wearther is not going to help. But being honest I have felt wretched today. Worst day of the week really. OH is away so I have been running around after my 3. So yesterday I thought I ws on the mend. Today I am not so sure. It would be wrong of me to say that I am not concerned, I am. This is unknown territory. I have learned alot from this forum and trained really hard. I was feeling confident of a good race. I hear you all say that it will be ok but I still worry that it will all fall apart. I know that first I have to get better. Then I can try and work out what running I need to get in before the marathon.  Am trying to keep everything in perspective. Going to bed hoping that a good nights sleep will get me back to where I thought I was 24 hours ago.

Carter - Important you see someone. You have time to get some treatment and be in good shape for your marathon. Unlike Steve on the Asics 26.2 who has torn cartilage in his knee but is still determined to run Paris and get it fixed after.

• Carl- looking after 3 youngsters is bound to set ypu back a bit! Hope you sleep well tonight and wake up feeling loads better tomorrow!

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Hi all.  I hope everyone is doing well, and Carl I hope you recovery quickly for the race.  I'm no expert, but I'd just repeat what you've said in your own post that you need to concentrate on getting better first.

I mentioned a few pages ago that I was doing a 10K today and it went really well I'm pleased to say.  I did 6mins quicker that my previous PB, but it is a bit dubious as the first 2K was down hill with the rest being pancake flat, but with 2 or 3 twisty/slow bits.  Still, I finished strongly and got around in 43:40 so even if it's not a "true" PB due to the course profile, it shows I'm making progress.  You should be able to see the profile etc here.

The mile splits are below and this averages 07:04 min/mile overall, but I think this is probably more like 45 or 46mins on a "normal" course.  It was a good event though (it was Exeter "wrap up and run" 10K) and I think I'd do it again as it got some good support.

1 06:40.0

2 07:00.9

3 07:00.6

4 07:21.3

5 07:19.0

6 07:06.4

7 01:15.7

• Well done Big-G. A 6 minute PB is brilliant image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Yes indeed,a great run, well done big_g.

Carl - did you manage to get out today ?

Orish/Ricky - how have your weekends gone ?

Spoons - how are you progressing with your running after your injury ?
  • 1:45 today. All going well. Slowly but surely. No rush!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Hi Minni - yes, I had a great PB at the South Yorkshire half last week - 1:38:04.

My knee is giving me some grief at the moment and I think it's ITB related. I've been using a foam roller but it hasn't cured the problem. It only hurts when I run but is fine when I'm sitting or walking.

I'm going to try a few easy miles in the park later and run on the snow covered grass. I reckon we've got about a foot of snow up here so that should make the run a bit harder but without to much pressure or impact on the knee.

I'm now booked in for a sports massage on Tuesday lunchtime so that will hopefully sort the problem out.
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - just out of bed. Running is out of the question for the next few days unless I want to end up in hospital. This bug must have caught me on a bad day and is refusing to budge depite all the medication, fruit, veg etc. I am trying not to put pressure on myself by setting a date for a run. Obviously the longer this goes on then it has got to take an edge pff my race pace but lets worry about this in 10 days or so.

Big G - a great run from you. Well done.

Spoons - good to see you back out building slowly.

• Carter- fingers crossed that your knee issues are sorted to some degree this week.

Carl, get well soon! I need to see you two smash your marathon goals!!! 

• Big G - great 10k time there, you were really motoring. Well done!

Carter - 18ml LSR in the storms yesterday morning to replace my cancelled race image ... Might run a treadmill recovery run this evening.
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Where has Oirish gone ? Lost in a snowdrift somewhere ?

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Rachel - spent most of the day in bed. Dosed myself with everything I could lay my hands on. Am feeling a little bit better than I did yesterday so that is a positive. Just as well they do not do any doping tests at these marathons as any test on me would reveal that the only thing holding me together is medication image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Carl - you're taking this tapering business very seriously ! The legs will be fully refreshed come race day.

Oirish must still be celebrating paddies day !

Ricky - another good run in the bank. Running on days like that definitely makes you mentally stronger.

No run for me today in the end. Took the mutt for a walk in the peaks but could only get so far as the snow had drifted and blocked the road. We got out at this stage and walked in 2 feet of snow. The mutt kept disappearing in the deep snow ! Anyway I think I'm going to rest until I've had the massage and see how I feel then.
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Morning all. I think some form of injury madness is starting to set in. As well as feeling that my 41 miles in the last two weeks isnt enough I'm now starting to worry about what I may be able to do in the next couple of weeks. My sports massage is tomorrow and I'm hoping I am told I can start running straight away. Is this likely or will I be told to rest up some more ? My thoughts at the moment are that I still need to get another couple of LSR's in which would mean that my taper will be 2 weeks rather than 3 so I'm currently in a state of uncertainity.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Carter - are you still thinking of changing your running shoes if you get the go ahead after your massage?  Personally, I wouldn't do that this close to your event, especially if you have been having niggles recently.  There are lots of stories of people changing shoes or getting inserts made and then getting another (possibly worse) injury.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Big_G - I've run in the new shoes and inserts once and didnt have any issues, at least it didnt feel like it at the time. I ran on Friday in my old shoes but still had the knee pain, although the damage may already have been done if it was actually the new shoes causing this (I dont think it is but I couldn't say for sure).

However, you raise a good point. My 'old' trainers will probably be ok to use in Manchester as, with my reduced mileage of late, they will probably still be ok to race in. Decision made, run Manchester in my older trainers. Good shout as it never crossed my mind that the new ones could have caused this !

• Hope the massage goes well Carter. I'm sure there is a mid of "taper madness going on on this thread too!" I developed phantom pains in my leg before Liverpool, but then...I've always been a little strange....

• Good merry morrow one and all. It seems it was a mixed bag for everybody this weekend.

Big G - Superb run there, smashed your PB out of sight.

Carl - I hope you turn the corner soon, ther is still plenty of time left to recover and perform well, at least it is affecting your taper rather than the core period of training.

Carter - Fingers crossed with the knee, I too would seek sanctuary in my old running shoes if I was in your....er shoes

Spoons - It has to be great for you to be back at it again?

Ricky - Shame about the race mate, we  hope for better next weekend

Well due to the weather yesterday's Parkrun was cancelled, the idea of sending 20 runners careering down icy hills whilst I freeze my arse off standing watching didn't appeal to anyone. Big southern softies.

So instead I did my LSR and what a treat that was, I was planned for 18, was considering 20 but ended up doing 16, quite frankly at the end, and excuse the language please, pooped. i'm not usually bothered about the weather but I can honestly say i loathed every minute of it, We have been fortunate that the snow here has been quite light, in fact it seems not to want to land but just blow about in your face, and obviously like everywhere else it is cold and windy.

I think a combination of the wind, energy burnt keeping warm, a strong desire to get it over with and tension in my legs- the paths are clear but smattered with occassional ice here, neither fish nor fowl, I could cope better with a few inches of snow rather than watching every step and never really relaxing into my running. Having said all that my actual splits  and performance were pretty good. 

16 miles @ 8:55 average with the last 6 @ MP, this was much quicker than I intended but I did have a 15 minute break in the middle for a Parkrun meeting. So a bit of a random run but I'm glad I did it rather than hide beneath my duvet which put in a strong bid as an option I can tell you.

On another note I have spent the morning drawing up a training plan for Mrs. Oirish (at her request) who has entered two Half Marathons over the coming months and wants to go sub 2:00 which i think she is more than capable of, I haven't told her but I'm inching her towards a marathon next year image shhhhhhhhh

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    I am slowly dying ......... at least that is what it feels like. The last 4 day have been up and down like a yoyo and I really don't know what I am going to do. Hard to know how I can consider embarking on 26.2 miles feeling thi bad today with no prospect of an end in sight.

Back to see the stupid quack again tomorrow to demand proper drugs not the non drugs they have me last night. Feel like I have lost a very important week.

Very frustrating .... Definitely inching towards this is not going to happen unless I want to do some long term health damage .... Am I being too over dramatic ???????????????????
  • Hi Carl, was wondering when you'd chcek in with an update! This is so rubbish! You have put the miles in though, so just need to get well! When are you due to fly out? I bet you'll suddeny turn the corner and do brilliantly! Till then, just keep resting up I guess. The more you worry about these things, the more you convince yourself the marathon is not going to happen, but I think you still stand a really good chance, so chin up!

• Carter - stick with the old shoes for now. Don't run until you've had a massage tomorrow and see what he says.

Oirish - yep - great to start getting some miles in again. Nice long run. It was toughh out there. Get her signed up for a marathonimage

Carl - yes you're being overdramatic!!!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Oirish - good to hear from you again !! Excellent run considering the poor weather. It's freezing here again today with a force 9 gale making it seem colder.

Carl - hang in there !

Spoons - I've resisted running for the last 3 days. This has resulted in me shovelling loads of food down me with copious amounts if magners. Feeling quite rubbish now. Going to have a beer......