Sussex Marathon 2013

2»

Comments

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Sounds smart GR. Sometimes you have to train hard, other times you have to be sensible and not leave your hardest effort in a training run when it should be used in the race.

You wont miss those 0.5 miles but have learned a lesson that will help on the day image

• If you check out the new Running free magazine, March 2013, issue 52, there is some really good tips about the month before a Marathon. Hence i am doing my last really long run this Friday.

It will be good to see you there WiB. Hope your training is going well.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

It is going ok GR. Long run this Fri morning followed by a stag do over the weekend which isn't ideal really! Then I am running the Endurancelife Coastal Trail race on March 23 followed by a couple of weeks setting up for Sussex Marathon.

• WiB wrote (see)

It is going ok GR. Long run this Fri morning followed by a stag do over the weekend which isn't ideal really! Then I am running the Endurancelife Coastal Trail race on March 23 followed by a couple of weeks setting up for Sussex Marathon.

Well dont over do it, but i have seen some people who can do all that, and still out run most people. I am going into detox phase in about a weeks time. For all the good it will do.

I did a hilly 7 this morning, and all i could think was, crap, whats it going to feel like at mile 25, if this is how i feel at mile 6 ha ha...

• Well two weeks to go before race day, and can't wait. I did a 20 miler the other day round where i live and isnt flat, but nothing will quite prepare me for the hills that wait me at Heathfield. I have looked at the general feedback about this race, and its generally positive. To do a sub 4 hour is my goal. To do that for this race is an achievement. Its going to take more than endurance though, its going to take will power beyond belief.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Good work GR. Sounds like your hard work is done and its nearly time to wind down and start resting hard of the big day image 

I have just come back from running the EnduranceLife CTS race and a couple of slight aches but seem to have survived ok. Lots of mud, plenty of wind, lots of slipping, the odd fall. All part and parcel I guess image

• WiB wrote (see)

Good work GR. Sounds like your hard work is done and its nearly time to wind down and start resting hard of the big day image 

I have just come back from running the EnduranceLife CTS race and a couple of slight aches but seem to have survived ok. Lots of mud, plenty of wind, lots of slipping, the odd fall. All part and parcel I guess image

Well good training for the race ahead, and suspect you will do very well. Tapering off a bit now, but guy who finished first last year did the race under 3 hours. Amazing. Endurance beyond belief. All i think about at the moment is my race. Its going to be weird when its over.

• Well just over 7 days left to this one. I will be the guy with the camelbak, that say 'Keep on truckin' on the back. Its my homage to a graphic cartoonist i like, and is my attitude to running, just to keep on truckin, keep on going sort of thing.

On one level, just to complete this mother of a race is going to be reward alone, but a sub 4 would be even better.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

5 days away now. Had a mail from them over the weekend. I was tempted to do the 30 mile option but they are just tagging on a 2 mile out and back after the finish and that won't be much fun at all so will be sticking with the marathon distance.

Don't live too far away so will pop down and register the evening before.

• Might see you all there (not running) going to volunteer to help at the water stations etc. Did this last year that last hill is a killer the second time around but I well organised race.
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Nice one Lingster. I always have fun volunteering at events. Look forward to hitting the hills image

• WiB, I was thinking about the 30 too, but I think I am going to be so bloody cold going past 26.2 might not appeal. Might register for it anyway and see how I feel.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I was just put off by tagging on the out and back part. Also its so close to 50k I think that would have been a better distance to use.

The marathon will be plenty image

• Hi have just found this thread! I will be doing the 30 miler image the weather doesn't look too bad - well its not due to rain or snow which is always a plus!

• Just going to do the full marathon. 26.2 miles is enough for me, considering its my first. I hope all the training has paid off, but who knows what i will be like on the day. I cant wait for it though. I remember when it was 4 weeks away etc. Well to those who are coming i will be wearing my camelbak like i have said so say hi. 'Keep on truckin'

• got my number - it is 441 so say hi if you see meimage wish I was up to doing the full marathon, or even running the whole of the half, but I will treat it as a bit of fun with snacks and drinks on the way round and a medal at the endimage

• ghostrider - nice to meet you, hope you got on ok. 

• mathschick wrote (see)

ghostrider - nice to meet you, hope you got on ok. 

It was lovely to meet you too. I was looking out for your race number. I did it in 3.55.07, and am truly aching right now. I wasnt out of breath the whole time but i realised i should have done some more leg training. It was a tough race though. Some of the hills.. second time around, well it helped to power walk them.. so did a lot of people though...

Hope you did okay, i know it wasnt about times for yourself, but about taking part, and i hope you enjoyed yourself. I looked out for you on my second lap...

• well done, that is a fantastic time. I did 3:15, not that much slower than when I ran it last yearimage a couple of the marshals asked me if I was ok as I was walking. I saw the first few males in - they were around the 3 hour mark, I was expecting far mare people to lap me so it was nice that just 2 or 3 people did. It was mentally tough walking rather than running, really wanted to run, but don't want to set myself back in terms of my knee as I have other events that are more important coming up this year! 

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

A fun day out, enjoyed the course. Much better than a flat one! Love the uphill finish too image Well organised I think overall.

Mathschick - I may have seen you I think, possibly ran past with the guy on a bike with about 3 miles to go?

• wib - that was probably me - were you the winner then? t-shirt and calf guards? didn't look like you had almost finished a marathon?

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Yes I did but I was wearing vest and arm warmers, no calf guards.

• well doneimage imageargh, sorry about muddling the calf guards/arm warmers, just remember you looking really strong

my son was admiring the winners' prizes when I went to register on Saturday, and said I would get the water bottle of pity!

• I was slightly beaten that i had to walk some of it. Well in the last couple. Having never done a marathon it was certainly a learning curve. Pleased i did under 4 hours though which was my aim. at the half marathon point, i was looking at a time 3.45, but i lost ten minutes due to the severe pain in my legs and back.

• ghostrider - hope you are recovered and not too sore today!it is tough marathon for a first one, next one you do, you'll have the experience of yesterday to help you and so long as you don't choose something crazy like Beachy Head you are bound to be quicker!

• ha ha.. i had thought about Beachy Head. I am already signed up for the Midsummer Munro half marathon over Box Hill, Dorking, Surrey. The hardest half marathon in the country. Did it last year. After that, undecided. Watch this space.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

No worries image Glad you had a good day out though.

GR - How about 3 Forts? first weekend in May? Make the most of that fitness gained training for this oneimage Good job at the weekend.

• WiB wrote (see)

No worries image Glad you had a good day out though.

GR - How about 3 Forts? first weekend in May? Make the most of that fitness gained training for this oneimage Good job at the weekend.

I am a two year veteran of three forts ha ha.. I did it in 2011, in what was 85 degree heat, and sufferred bad dehydration. I came back last year with a vengence, and knocked 8 minutes off my time, and didnt walk any of the half, which was my aim. I feel i have laid that race to rest as it were..

Whats next for you?

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Fair enough. I am running the Highland Fling in Scotland and then onto 3 Forts image Not run it before.

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I've done Beachy 7 time, just love the race.