Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Simon you're a very naughty boy, by the way.

Kaz - I'll be at the expo on Friday, probably early afternoon before we head to the apartment

• Lemon meringue pie without the pastry.......mmmmmmmmm...........

Eggy - fudge no problem since eldest works for the company that makes it!!image

MM - My flight gets in about 1.15pm, then heading to flat before expo so probably be there about 4 too. Well done to your brother.image

YM -I loathe swimming too but My aim next yr is an ultra since I probably won't get time off work for the one this year.  Maybe see if I can do one to celebrate the big 40!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I'm eating for England. Steak, roasties, yorkshires, and mushy peas followed by syrup sponge and custard.

Never mind carbo loading, I'm just loading.
  • Xpost YM, We are heading to our apartment before expo since we can now!! So probably be 3 or 4 before we get there??

• Orbutt wrote (see)
    I'm eating for England. Steak, roasties, yorkshires, and mushy peas followed by syrup sponge and custard.

Yorkshires? Sooo jealous. My steamed broccoli and pan-fried in minimal oil salmon doesn't seem very appetising suddenly.

• Anyone here got/heard the new David Bowie album...?

I'm not a Bowie fan, but the new album really is rather good..  only one song on it that I don't like... 

And..  on the topic of running with music...  I think that was a habit for me, but then I just got out of the habit and don't do it now...   

• Kaz. Lemon Meringue Pie is my absolute favourite. Not had one in the years since I went GF. Did you peel the pastry off and take a risk? BTW it's a big secret.... But the summer is on its way. YEEHAH! image
  • kaz1 wrote (see)

Is anybody meeting at the expo on Friday fternoon??

yep..  I'll be there too..  I think we discussed this a few pages back...  there will be quite a few people there on Friday...

• talking of eating - my brother's son had his 3rd birthday party today. it was at hollywood bowl for the kiddies followed by Pizza Hut (not my preferred choice of Pizza eating but great for kiddies parties - they tolerate all the mayhem and divvy up the bills nicely for the parents). I had a regular sized thin crust "blazin hot" - covered in green and red chillies - the red ones were little devils - sweet to taste followed by the super hot mexicana spice! During this relentless cold winter I have got into red hot raw chillies big time! Had some birthday cake after and am planning big bowl of porridge and bananas, strawberries and grapes for dinner and a generous slice of cherry and sultana flapjack (or two) with many cups of tea.

I was so anal about my new hotel booking (had booked it through travelsupermarket on the cheap) but decided to email the hotel direct today to make sure that they had my booking and it was all cool  before i cancelled the other 2* one - got the reply i wanted - plan to do a printout to attach to the back of my hotel voucher . Chuffed now - got a better hotel 4* and 60 metres from the Arc. I'm the kind of person that doesn't like to be late -  i prefer to give myself loads of time so would have been up at dawns crack to get there for 8 and would have been all stressed if the metro was busy! taken that stress away - there will still be plenty more i'm sure i'll find something to stress about!

is 8am at the Arc giving us enough time to have photos and hi-fives, then head down to bag check, then get in the pens (getting an ok-ish spot)?

• Think Iain Moore has given David Bowie a thumbs up.... Ooh, that sounded wrong...
  • TD we had some nice GF mince pies over christmas - went down a storm with many cups of tea.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
    Think Iain Moore has given David Bowie a thumbs up.... Ooh, that sounded wrong...

but you still posted anyway.  the lifeblood of the Paris forum goes on.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Is anyone going on Saturday lunchtime that wants to meet up? I'll be arriving at 10.30am on Paris nord in case anyone is interested.
  • No TD, no chances taken!! Homemade so made a proper one with pastry for the gang then did my one with just the lemon filling and meringue in a wee tin dish.image

Kids are really loving having me around sooo much more and all the extra home cooking that is happening!!

Ooop sorry I missed the Friday expo discussion!image

• Feeling rather left out of things on the taper front. Having had a useless Autumn, training only really started in January. I've been cautiously building-up the miles (when ideally they should have been in the bank already) while getting used to orthoses. So I thought I'd do a slow 3hrs today just for time on legs (treadmill; average 2% incline with spells of 1 and 3%). Felt rather odd at 17 miles (2hrs 20mins) so stopped. Hadn't fuelled up enough, I think. Legs - and orthoses- were fine! What I'm getting at here, guys, is can I now call it a day and start easing-off?!! I've done three 1/2 marathons, the last in 1:29, and managed a slow 20m 3 weeks ago. Can one do a 2 week taper? I want to join the madness.

I'll be at th Expo on Friday. Didn't meet any of you last year as only discovered the thread after the race (when they lost my bloody time). Will try to say hello at Arc on sunday, though staying other end of Champs Elysees.

I like this thread, and wish everyone the best of hugely deserved luck!

Don't listen to music myself, as my job as a violinist is to play it all the time! Can't get it out of my head while running, though, so if you hear someone grunting Beethoven or Steely Dan that's probably me. I've got a red bib, but will start in yellow pen. No. 5441. 

• Orbutt wrote (see)

Orbutt - I feel I've been loading since August...2011!

Dark Vader wrote (see)

Anyone here got/heard the new David Bowie album...?

I'm not a Bowie fan, but the new album really is rather good..  only one song on it that I don't like... 

And..  on the topic of running with music...  I think that was a habit for me, but then I just got out of the habit and don't do it now...   

DV - love it. But I adore Bowie, it's just he hasn't made an album this good since Scary Monsters (1980). I agree - the only one that annoys me is Dirty Boys. It's not his best. The rest of the album is just amazing, in the same way that Bruce Springsteen's album last year was just wonderful - seemingly in thrall to the past but looking to the future.

RS - you were right. Of course you were!

• Vioolman - of course you can taper now, you've put in some impressive miles. I'm sure many more experienced people will advise...

Oh, and 16.1k in the coldest wind I have ever run this evening. Worth it though.

I shall be at the expo I think probably about 5-6pm on the Friday.

• My word, I am running at 45seconds/km slower than I was 2 years ago. And 20 seconds/km slower than at New Year. Paris - let the struggle commence.

• IM2 - I wouldn't worry about pace just now , on the day you might find ur running better and more easily , I've had some bad runs but its not affected how I feel about my run in Paris , I know I will have a great time regardless of any practice runs

And as for eating -- that's all I've done all week ,

wed had three mains ( pasta , steak pie supper then tuna pasta all within two hours

Thursday had a Chinese buffet , 2 starters , 3 big mains and 2 heaped desserts

Fri- 3 course home cooked meal

Sat - large chow main and pudding

Today I'm just snacking ,,, like all day !!

Is this natural at this time of training ?
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

We'll be at the Expo friday afternoon. We arrive earlt friday, do a half day tour of the city then off to the expo.

Jimbob - if you like chilis, the greatest place to be is the Hatch, New Mexico chili festival:

http://www.hatchchilefest.com

It is absolutely wonderful.

15 miles done today to bring the week to 34 - tapering going well I think.

• Oh and I'm watching - man versus food - thinking " I could eat that easily "
  • DV - I absolutely love Bowie too. He was the the soundtrack to my teens. When I ran competitively at school my teammates used to blast out 'Golden Years' on the ghetto-blaster. Great for 800/1500m as I remember! Agree that this is his best since Scary Monsters (maybe since Lodger?). 'Where Are We Now?' is simply beautiful. Taking my wife and teenage girls to the V&A show tomorrow.

And well done yesterday!!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)
    Carl, course you'll be there mate. I'm on the 7.31am train from st Pancras on Saturday 6th April. Give me a shout if you want to meet us/ head to the expo?

I am on the 9.31 out of St Pancras. See I have convinced myself already that I will be going. I am planning to head for the Expo from Gard du Nord and then back to my hotel.

You have got me thinking that I better check my hotel is booked as I booked it through Booking.com. I can cancel it up to 24 hours beforehand. It is somehwre between Gard du Notrd and Arc / Champs D'Elysee. What is the name of your hotel ?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Scott the walker wrote (see)
    Oh and I'm watching - man versus food - thinking " I could eat that easily "

I do that anyway. Although bar the insane hot wing challenges he has my perfect job!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    TJB - I missed last years photoshoot because I didn't get there until 8:05. There's no hanging around and it will probably be finished by 8am, so you may want to get there a little early, say 7:50.

Vioolman - that explains the nickname image
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Vioolman - I played the viola in a former life...

• Evening all - just wanted to drop in and say a massive Good Luck to you all for the Marathon. I so wish I was running this again but, for lots of reasons, I'm sadly not on form.

I'm all booked up for the Nice-Cannes mara in November...hopefully gives me time to get back on the right track...literally. I'll be running GNR as usual as it's my home half.

I'm glad to see it's business as usual on the forum image) I do miss the craic/pee chat/bristol stool chart thing/OROD talk, and general good people. You're right that many of the other forums are not quite so welcoming!

So good luck everyone, I'll look out for the results and keep my fingers crossed for cool, overcast conditions. image
  • I, Orbot. I'll be at the Arc at 7.35am if its not too cold.

Carl, I'm at Royal Elysees, right by the Arc. Arrive in Paris at 10.53 at GDN and heading straight to the expo. Get in the queue and hope to be clear of the expo by 2,3 o'clock. Mate if u wanna meet at expo email me on jimzagooner at aol dot com and we'll swap details. Theres a 5 euro pasta/rice party at expo. You can buy the ticket on ASO. Anyone doing that? It wouldn't take much to persuade me.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

TJB - You can buy tickets for the pasta/rice thingy at the expo. I did it last year for lunch on the Friday. It's a pretty good deal.