F1

watched a formula one race for the first time in years. astonished to see a driver apologising for overtaking. i think that explains why I haven't watched it in so long.

Comments

• oiyouoiyou ✭✭✭

Not good is it?

2 drivers from the same team get the same instruction  - one obeys & one doesn't. Obviously (to my mind) if you're the guy in front you'll be delighted to follow orders. The guy in P2 will be somewhat less thrilled.

Not proper racing either way.

What's the answer -  driver per team?

• my sister-in-law told me 'I don't understand the sport'. that's for damn sure.

the racing aspect was actually halfway diverting. amusing then to discover 'that wasn't supposed to happen'.

• glad to see that Vettel has apologised for any viewer inadvertently entertained.

• Have any of you watched the Tour De France?

8 guys that won't overtake their leader (except when it'll save him some effort) - it's the biggest spectator event on the planet. Recommended.

• Senna must be looking down from his cloud pissing in his nomex
  • Mmmatt - no I don't watch the Tour.

• So cycling is the biggest spectator sport? Well you learn something everyday!
  • Any sport where the most exciting bit is watching a car getting it's tyres replaced is bound to be shite.
  • I was switching back and forth between the F1 and the world cross country championships - in the latter, everyone was trying as hard as possible to finish as far up the field as possible, regardless of who was in their team or not. The contrast could not have been starker: F1 is weird.

• Bunch of playboys playing with expensive toys and a bunch of plebs paying good money to allow them to do so. Like Peter I prefer a sport where a poor person in Ethiopia can kick the ass of anybody regardless of their wealth or background.
  • Cav wasn't wrong in his assessment of the Olympic road race.

A small break got away. They could have been pulled back if the big teams worked

- but they didn't want to. Cycling is a fascinating sport.

One man cannot win against the whole bunch.
  • Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    So cycling is the biggest spectator sport? Well you learn something everyday!

Is it? I suppose it's possible ...

• Absolutely true Cougie. Cycling is a team sport. It ain't the 100 metres.
  • No ticket. You said it was the biggest spectator sport on the planet. I questioned it. Ticket!
  • Mmmatt wrote (see)
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    So cycling is the biggest spectator sport? Well you learn something everyday!

Is it? I suppose it's possible ...

without being too pedantic, he did say the Tour de France was the biggest spectaor event, which apparently it is, with 15 million regualr spectators each year (only 3 of which actually understand what's going on image)

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Cav wouldn't have been allowed to join the break.   He wasn't assuming the main bunch would help him - he was hoping that it wouldn't be left entirely to GB because some other teams had sprinters who might have won had the bunch brought the break back.     

• There wasnt really much of a strategy open to Team GB, they only really had a loose commitment from the Germans to work with them, the rest of the teams were in it for themselves and loathe to support GB.

It was inevitable that there would be a breakaway at some point, you cant chase every feint and break-away and do all the work.

It came down to 4 riders from Team GB having to chase a break of 8-10 riders.  GB were getting half the rest between efforts than the front pack.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

DF3 - Confirmed for not understanding cycling amongst a great many other things.

If Cav joined the breakaway they would have given up and returned to the bunch, as the reason for the breakaway was to drop the sprinters. The reason Cav mentioned the Aussies not working is that they had a very good sprinter, but decided not to work for him even though he was their best medal prospect. Cav didn't expect the other teams to work for him. He was surprised that the other nations with strong sprinters didn't bother chasing. They obviously were scared of Cav in a sprint and hoped Team GB would bring all the breakaways back leaving nothing to lead out Cav.

That plan is really dumb, as a small national team is always going to struggle to do that and also as on many occasions Cav has shown that he can do it without a lead out train. The mistake by Team GB was to call their bluff and put a decent rider in the breakaway.

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    the dude abides wrote (see)

glad to see that Vettel has apologised for any viewer inadvertently entertained.

Nice one.  Spot on. image

Mmmatt wrote (see)

Have any of you watched the Tour De France?

8 guys that won't overtake their leader (except when it'll save him some effort) - it's the biggest spectator event on the planet. Recommended.

Cycling is totally different from F1.   The tactical and aerodynamic advantages of teamwork make an insurmountable difference in cycling - and it is part of the spectator spectacle. The thing I'd change is to give out team medals in cycling, istead of (or as well as) individual medals.

In F1, on-track team work has very little effect.  Any driver can win without help from a team-mate... and that teamwork is not part of the spectator spectacle.   Team orders were banned in 2002... because it makes a mockery of the sport.  The decision was lifted in 2011, not because it was wrong to ban it, but because they couldn't enforce it.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

F1 is a joke when they pull stunts like at the weekend. I am glad is back fired on them. Thankfully it has not really made its way into bike racing yet, well, not anything beyond the occasional going easy on their championship leading team mate at the last race of the year.

Even when team orders were banned, they found ways around it. For example, pull the other car in for a pit stop needlessly.

• Cycling is a very subtle and tactical sport, you can tell this because the really average cyclist dumbly raced off really quickly and were sat around looking stupid and feeling sheepish with their medals hung around their necks whilst the decent teams were still out on the course arguing over who should try a little bit cos it won't be us.

With my untrained eye these subtlties passed me by and it just looked like the Brits cocked it up wholesale, their argument that if they tried to catch them up other teams might chase them down was genius, much better to stay in the peloton and not let that happen. For a cycling team that claims to focus on the tiny percentages they didn't seem to have much in the way of contingency planning.

F1 - A car overtakes another car and headlines spin around the globe, says it all. Still Hamilton pitting at Maclaren amused me greatly.