Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• More likely to be lack of conductivity due to the cold oscarr!  Make sure you hold your chest strap (the plasticy bits not the elastic bit!!!) under the hot tap for a good 5-10 seconds before you put it on that should sort it!  It should be coded so that other toys don't interfere ...

• Thanks, will try that tomorrow - reckon the vaseline from parts near didn't help!!

• SB - re HM good tip.

I also hang my HM on a radiator where it practically lives in a warm world of its own. That way the strap can air off after use and the little thing is nicely pampered before each run.

Oscarr  - you need electrode gel (think tens machine stuff) not vaseline......

• Mike - whatever keeps the old nipploes from bleeding!!

• Well have to say - it's a good job Ben's not motivated by prizes - his 3rd place at the Home Countries earned him a small stuffed dragon!!!!!!! (1st place = North of England, 2nd = England) I'm putting it on the trophy shelf as a matter of principle - it does add a nice dash of colour I have to say!

Am waiting til he gets back from his run before I go out for my jog/walk - and waiting for my face to thaw out from walking the dogs - that'll teach me to leave my buff on the kitchen table!

Is Eastleigh still on?  If so - good luck boys - will look forward to hearing how you get on later...

• Me too!

Enjoy your runs people.

6.27 in an hour for me this morning. Treadie again too much ice!
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

This morning I got myself out the door at 7:15am with the promise to myself that I could cut the run short and finish off on the treadmill (e.g. run 12m outdoors and 8m on the treadmill). I thought that would make it easier on the knees.

The first mile was like an ice rink, before deeper snow along the trail made footing more secure. I was surprised how clear some of the country roads were once I got around five or six miles out of town, so I decided to carry on while the going was relatively good. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't as hard as I had been expecting. Needless to say I turned around to come back at ten miles image

My target pace range is 10:48 to 9:54, and my actual splits were as follows:

10:52/10:47/10:32/10:52/10:34/10:19/10:19/10:11/10:48/10:25
    10:11/9:50/9:48/10:05/9:59/9:59/9:53/10:18/10:42/10:39

The final few miles, and in particular mile nineteen, rank among the toughest of any of my training runs! The cold headwind added to the challenge coming up the incline on the snow and ice.

Another 52 miles in the bank this week, and now it's time to TAPER!!!!!!! image

• Awesome running Ten that's mental toughness!
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks Reikki.  Have you managed any outdoor running up there, or is it too dangerous?  There have been some incredibles scenes from up north on the News.  It's nearly April for chrissakes image

SB - that's a weird prize, but I suppose it could have been worse, maybe image

• Well done Ten - that's a long time in the cold!

Today I ran Eastleigh 10km and it was 0-2 degrees warm, with the cold easterly to match.

Bogged down at the start with all of the lycra bunnies (men & women), but got clear and pushed on.

Short version: 1st 5m in 20:37 (inc the Hill); 2nd 5km 20:06 (matching 5km PB), so total 40:43 mins (55 sec PB).

Waiting for official times - didn't see Choisty anywhere....

• Nice one Mike!

Ten I had my 4 mile recovery tour on Thursday before the snow struck.
  • Ten - great training run

Mike - brilliant PB in those cold conditions which are 14 degrees below the optimum racing temp

Just got back from my LSR - 3:35 running plus a 10 min stop to buy bottle water and a danish pastry (quite liberating carrying nothing more than a £10 note) 20.5 miles covered at about 10:30 pace.  Zero degrees so plenty of layers on including 2 pairs of gloves.

Good news is that i put the HR transmitter on correctly this morning and proved that the GPS watch had no impact so got a good HR reading.  Stopped it at the stop so as not to include the standing still bit - got back then found out that it only stores the data for the last entry so i only have the data from the second half of the run but i reckon it was the same in the first half as well.

Average HR for the last 10 miles = 120bpm.  If this is 70% (top of endurance zone) it gives HRmax of 171 which is pretty close I think so reckon 10:30 pace is about the limit of my endurance zone at the moment.  Will of course get more data when i do my hill test to get HRmax.

That's 50 miles for the week which is the most i have ever done in a single week and it's only week 3 of 16 !!!  Feel pretty good with no signs of fatigue and have really enjoyed the 2 LSRs at the slower pace over the last 2 days - first real B2B.  Cut-back week next week.

• Congratulations on the back to back long ones Oscarr!
  • Hi Reiki - thanks - are you on your way back now?  overall, was an enjoyable time for you?

• About to get into Euston more later!

Loved it we have to go do the run!
  • Mike - bows in awe - good work!!! imageimageimage

oscarr - cracking!  Feels good not to be trashed on a Sunday afternoon don't it?!  I had a good 'un too - don't know if I was dawdle-walking but I kept falling out of the bottom of the zone and having to jog.  The end result - just under a minute a mile faster than last week to stay in my Zone 2 (14:38 min/mi).  Just goes to show how different the same zone can be on 2 different days!

I can certainly feel my legs a little so I know I've been out.  Really makes me look forward to the faster sessions too though!

Anyone heard about the date for October yet - certainly planning to reiki - seems only fair image

• Sleepy - it feels better than you can imagine - after the highest mileage week ever i feel i have lots of energy left - no effects from today's run which in essense was two ten milers both at 10:30 pace with a 10 min break in between and i could have gone on a lot further than the 3h45m so it all bodes well and shows the benefit of slower LSRs.

Funny week for me next week as i have the family all coming to me for Easter so it will be an 8 day week with the longest LSR done on the following Monday.  I find i have to do a rolling 3 week plan to fit everything in around other committments (like dancingimage, hopefullyimage)

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Mike - great pacing and a great PB to boot! image

Reikki - hope your journey home is/was good.

Oscarr/SB - great to see the training ramp up.  Congratulations on completing your first back-to-back LSR's.

• One Beer O'clock young man image

Might join you!  Sat watching dinner cook in the oven with not much else to do.... LOL

My week is an odd one too next week - only cos I'm going out to play on Saturday:

Tue - 80 minutes inc 3 x 1 mile at 10 mile pace

Wed - recovery half hour

Thu - 90 minutes with mid 2 (not 3 as it's a rest week!!) at MP

Sat - local duathlon - 3k / 13k bike / 3k (for fun and a change of pace) + ride to/from (6 miles each way)

Sun - 3.5 hours

• Are you sure about sunday and the need to do 3.5 hrs - its a cutback week with 1.5 hr sat (your duathlon) and 2 hr Sunday?

• Blimey you lot have been busy well done running well, well done. I have been digging my car out most of the day ready to get out for work tomorrow. Huge amounts of snow. Drifts over the wellies and had to clear the roof and shed roof as so much snow on them. Great long running guys well done. I am unsure of my running at the moment as no routine. Bearing in mind I have work from 7 to 6 ish including travelling. Any suggestions for a running time table and no goals at the moment......either apart from October Coniston and GNR in September though I may be away for that weeken so have a place to flog for that.  Guess its evening running or 6am running not sure which I prefer.  This snow needs to go first cant run round here at the moment.  Planning to cycle more this summer.

I have run with a heart rate and gps on my wrist regularly and no problems by the way Oscarr.

• mcs my ony suggestion you've already considered but there's that mega hill, right?  For me 12 hours out of the house is normal but I have to include my running in that, so somehow integrate it into the day, whether commute or lunchtime. 

Or 6am.  After would be too mashed.

I heard before I left today that the first weekend of Oct is unlikely for the re-run as that woud clash with some 100 mile local thing - I think I've heard of the Lakeland 100?

Anyway, I am only really available the 1st weekend as I have the York marathon 20th, will be gutted to miss it though.  

Journey home was surprisingly OK despite overly packed train with nowhere to put your bags. A bunch of lads from Preston got involved and reaggarnged the whole carriage so everything found a spot. 

Washing is done plus baking of bluecorn and another bread involving quinoa and chestnut.  Delish. 

My portfolio is due in at college tomorrow, but first I must pilate and hit the pool, so will doubtless be assembling it surreptitiously during class, too tired now. 

• To finish the week, I came home from Eastleigh had a bite to eat and headed out to do 14 miles along the canal.

Actually, I didn't know what I had run until I got home as I left my garmin attached to the computer!

So no garmin - set "normal wrist watch" timer and run for 1hr. Stop, turn  around and repeat.

Then measure track on a mapping tool I use - turns out it was a recovery run pace which figures as I was running on tired legs straight into the icy east wind for 1 hour and then of course had a tail wind back.

20m today over the two outings and 47 for the week, and now it is taper time for the 15th April.....Yippee.

• Mike that's magic.

Off to Pilates and Pool now! 

• Hey oscarr - I've swapped this and next week around so I can do Lincoln 10k on the 7th (which should have been the 3.5hr). 

mcs - son't beat yourself up to much - your life is changing a lot just now - it will settle down. And remember that even if you only get to run twice a week (ie at weekends) you will maintain the fitness you already have.  If you manage to get a run or two in during the week you're back in the realms of improving...

All this talk of tapering is getting me jittery - race season (well what I consider race season) is well and truly here again - how exciting image

reiki - you've just reminded me - I'm getting a massage on Friday from a new person - a physio and also a pilates teacher! Wonder if I'll get a posture once over whilst I'm there LOL!

• MCS, I run at lunchtimes (plus mornings & evenings) is that possible for you?, not the mornings and evenings

Oscarr, The slow long run seems to be working for you, don't forget to focus on technique during the first couple of miles to help efficiency

Nice PB, mike...I unexpectedly managed one as well, running 34:21 for 41st (4th Vet) image I didn't see it coming at all, like you I ran a negative split first 5k in 17:17, followed by 17:04 despite the wind and freezing conditions.  All off the back of a 78M week and a 24miler the week before.  I hot tailed it back to basingstoke to watch my daughter at her squad champs at 11:15, hence why I missed you. My long run will be tonight hoping to get 20 in.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Great racing Choisty! 

Rest day for me today.  It's so icy now that it looks like I'll be getting reacquainted with the treadmill tomorrow image

• Forgot to say, great PB Choisty, well done