Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• There is a faster coral than red but it's with the elites who are starting in a different place about a mile or so further back.  You had to be able to prove you can run a sub 3.15 marathon to get in there and had to send proof when you applied. 

You'll just have to start at the front of the red coral to get away quicker, that's what I plan on doing

• Andyc209 there is a white corral for sub 3.15 but you need evidence that you have beat this time and it may still be too late to change. Worth emailing organisers.

The up side is if you get to the front of the red pen you'll have a clear run ahead of you cos the faster pen is starting from a different place image
  • Afternoon all

well fates conspired today so never got the 8 done just had time to do 5 not shore of time or the pace as my Garmin struggled to locate the satellite though all this cloud

• Andyc209

The elite start from Withdean Park and the first 1km goes downhill. I believe there is a slight uphill incline for the Preston Park starters.

The fastest pack from Red will have good target practice on the slower pack of Elite as both corrals join up a little further down the route...

• Has anyone got an elivation profile of the route?  Would just like to know and be prepared where the hilly bits are.  I think someone said in the first 4 miles?

• Thanks both, good to know what I am getting in to!

• Has anyone got an elivation profile of the route?  Would just like to know and be prepared where the hilly bits are.  I think someone said in the first 4 miles?

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

sounds good as long as you get near the front - might take evidence of my 3:06 at Berlin with me to the Expo and give it a go but i do like the idea of targeting the other runners image 

If i remember from last year there are a couple of little sharp hills early on, particularly a tight bit in the shopping part of town - then the few longer hills around 10 miles - its all downhill from there image

• That's what I'd do Andy. Well it would be if I got anywhere near 3.06image

I reckon with a bit of luck and a following wind I may just get a couple of the white starters. How comes the faster runners get the down hill start???!!!
  • Roberto, ain't no hills just inclines. Got rid of the only hill a couple of years ago and that was a short one!! image
  • Mark, thats jolly good news so good chance of a PB then.  I will def be getting a PB if I finish.  It's my first and only marathonimage

• Me too Roberto, I'm on for a PB regardless imageimageimage .... as for the first "and only" .. I'm not quite decided on that part yet !! I have read so many people on this blog who seem to keep on coming back year after year, perhaps they put someting in the water, or is it those Clif Shot Bloks instead ... image

• "And only" thoughts will disappear in 21 days, and you find a void in life! You'll be signed up before you know it...

...afterall, what do normal folk do on a Saturday morning whilst we tread the streets?

My legs are feeling fine today, just about to have a full hour sports massage. Feel really exhausted today, can't stop yawning. Yesterday's LSR in such extreme temperatures have taken there toll. (My ambition to do the base camp Everest marathon has been suppressed a little).
  • It is nice to rest for a while tho GCE even if its just for a week.

Don't even get started about post race depression image
  • SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Well done everyone on some great runs this weekend. Especially those that made it out in the weather. It was tough getting out the door yesterday morning.

I managed 51km yesterday as per my schedule and was frozen when I got home. I have a couple of easier weeks before Brighton so looking forward to the rest and recovery from yesterday.

For those asking about tapering. Essentially it is a 2/3 week period where you reduce you mileage post your last LSR to give your body a chance to recover. There are various versions like reducing mileage by 20% per week. Or 70%, 60%, 50% etc. It depends really on what works for you, or what your programme suggests. If youv'e never tried it before its a bit tricky, but essentially you don't want to go long. I keep my midweek runs the same, and reduce my Sunday run. The aim is to arrive at the start refreshed and ready for 100% effort. The golden rule is don't try and make up for missed sessions. Its too late now!

Good luck all this week!

• Yay do it next year too people then you can keep me company on here its been really nice sharing this year with you image
  • OMG safer, 51kn in yesterday's weather. What's the ultra your training for?

Loved the good definition of a taper, although cant say the previous 'more chocolate cake than normal, with a few runs thrown-in isn't more appealing.

Tillstar, I'm already weighing up the BM Vs an alternative for spring 2014? As last year, like the familiarity of doing same spring marathon with a bit of adventure later in the year.
  • I am not sure my family will put up with me spending that much time out of the house again next year ... I think I may have to concentrate on half marathons for a couple of years until they forget, and then suggest another marathon ! I wonder how many people will still be on this blog in 2016 ... imageimageimage

• SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

GCE: I am doing the Comrades Marathon in South Africa in early June so the schedule is hectic at the moment. Brighton is just one of many long runs this autumn (Or should I say winter!) which is why I am following this thread. I agree with your more cake approach! I was reading an interesting blog the other day about carbo loading and someone pointed out the amount of carbs in beer and pizza! That got me thinking!

• SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

SalisburyL and Roberto. I guarantee you'll be back for more!

• SAFER if that's the case I'd better warn the family now!!!

Tapering for me is about reducing the LSR but keeping the rest of the programme the same, so last week I did 22 miles as my LSR, Saturday just gone was 15 then it goes to 13 etc, but hill reps and speed work and middle distance runs remain the same.

Slightly better weather here than in much of UK, but only about 2 degrees, so lots of layers needed. Speed work for me tomorrow, thermals, hat, gloves etc all ready to go!

Great running from everyone, especially in awful conditions.
  • morning all

will have another go at getting the 8 miles done today very addictive this marathon lark there like pringles 1 never enough once you popped you just can't stop

• Just appeared on the Brighton marathon FB -

PLEASE NOTE: All running numbers and start corrals have been sent out via email to ALL participants. However, we are having technical issues with AOL email accounts where emails have been bouncing back. We have looked into this and hope to have this rectified by the end of the week. If you have not received your email, please check your spam filters and keep an eye out for another email over the next week.

May be reassuring to those of you who have not yet received your number?

Good luck with the 8 miles Toby - I'm off to do speed session wll wrapped up!image

• Re; the 'more cake' approach (which we all seem to agree on image) look at the old school 'Soreen Malt Loaf' . This stuff is massively high in Carbs (66g per 100g) but only 1.7g of fat. That content blows most energy bars right out of the water !

• I fully intend to be one be done. It's been fun, I like the camaraderie. I challenged myself and am winning.

That said, I thought the same after a London to Brighton moonride and did that twice.

Perhaps BM will have the same alluring call for 2014.

Would certainly be tempted by VLM if I got in.
  • I'm getting worried now....I'm not with AOL.
  • Roberto Duran wrote (see)
    I fully intend to be one be done. It's been fun, I like the camaraderie. I challenged myself and am winning.

That said, I thought the same after a London to Brighton moonride and did that twice.

Perhaps BM will have the same alluring call for 2014.

Would certainly be tempted by VLM if I got in.

beware saying things like that - my "only" marathon was 21 marathons ago; my "only" Ironman was 5 ago; my "only" ultra was 3 ago.....   it's a slippery slope!!!

• Swervin Mervin - try not to worry - there were other people on FB who also weren't with AOL but hadn't received emails, it says to wait till next week and they should be sent by then.

Neil Spicer - I'm not a fan of cake, but tried some individual malt loaf bars but they were really hard to eat whilst running - solid, not like the loaf which is soft and squishy! Might buy one today and try it on LSR on Satruday - although my LSR's and now getting shorter!!!

Hope everyone's ok in this dreadful weather - at this rate unless it warms up a bit I'll be running in thermals and I never thought I'd do that in April - I also haven't just worn my charity T shirt because it's too cold!! Might have to be brave this weekend and hope for some slightly warmer weather, I only want to wear the  T shirt and not another layer if I can help it - not a fan of layers they annoy me! image