Orthotics and over correction problems

I have been running fairly long distances for about 30 years. 18 months ago, after finding out that I have got a cartilage problem caused by a leg length difference, I had orthotics made. I asked about the type of running shoes I should use but didn't get any advice so I carried on using Asics Kayanos. I realised that one hip was giving me trouble straight away but the physio gave me exercises and I assumed this was all part of getting used to the orthotics. To cut a long story short, the hip problem got worse and I finally went to a really good running shop last weekend and discovered that the Kayanos were over correcting horribly. I am now in shoes with a much lower heel drop and immediately I can run like normal again. Annoyingly I seem to have weakened my calves and the troubled hip over the last 18 months. Any tips for how I can get things back on track as swiftly as possible without causing other problems? ,I have been told i need to take things quite slowly since the change from the Kayanos is quite significant and my new shoes will be working my calves and hamstrings harder. Thanks

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

30 years a runner!

And you're asking questions like this?

🙂

• Yes, 30 years with very few injuries! I should perhaps explain that most of my running is done purely for the joy of it. I have done a few races over the years ( including a couple of marathons) but mostly I just go out and run. I haven't had a problem like his before.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

We operate at opposite ends of the 'reasons for running' spectrum.

I wanted to find out how fast a runner I could be. I was also injured an awful lot and finally I wanted to discover things about the activity so I could pass on the knowledge.

Having said that, there's no faster way to improve your condition better than to avoid getting injured. Now that your feet and lower legs have been allowed to work properly again, I'd say that it will take only a couple of weeks of easy conditioning to start with. Gradually you can build up to your longest run so that in 12 weeks from the shoe change you could do what you like with no concerns.

30 years running counts for a lot.

🙂